Could this be Patrick Ewing’s last year? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Could this be Patrick Ewing’s last year?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Wow - a lot to unpack there. Makes you wonder how many other legendary coaches hold that same sway.
Looking at you Syracuse.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Some of that may be true but a fair amount of is pretty far off base. Ewing’s and Mutumbo’s were definitely good enough to receive scholarships on their own ability (evidenced by all the other schools willing to do the same).

On the coaching side, I remember Gtown being horrible under Esherick and JT3 being a massive improvement initially after doing a great job at Princeton. It definitely went off the rails at the end for JT3 but he definitely brought in plenty of talented recruits (we’re talking top 10 guys, including Greg Monroe who was #1 in his class), which the article seems to imply he wasn’t doing.

Reaction Score
Some of that may be true but a fair amount of is pretty far off base. Ewing’s and Mutumbo’s were definitely good enough to receive scholarships on their own ability (evidenced by all the other schools willing to do the same).

On the coaching side, I remember Gtown being horrible under Esherick and JT3 being a massive improvement initially after doing a great job at Princeton. It definitely went off the rails at the end for JT3 but he definitely brought in plenty of talented recruits (we’re talking top 10 guys, including Greg Monroe who was #1 in his class), which the article seems to imply he wasn’t doing.
Right, but as I’ve argued previously, I think they need fresh blood and philosophy there. They’ve been under the same coaching tree for 50 years now and it’s clearly not working.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Right, but as I’ve argued previously, I think they need fresh blood and philosophy there. They’ve been under the same coaching tree for 50 years now and it’s clearly not working.
There’s also a lot to do there in terms of branding. Need someone whom knows how to re-harness the badass image they had bad in the day. Those G hats were a fashion staple even for people who didn’t know a thing about basketball.

Reaction Score
I might be in the minority here, but with so much turnover and such a young team, I'd like to see what Ewing can do next year with this squad.
  • Their two point guards, Dante Harris (so) and Tyler Beard (fr) were underclassmen.
  • Their centers were either bad (Ighoefe and Wilson) or freshmen (Ryan Mutombo, #112 prospect of '21 and Jalin Billingsley, #225 prospect of '21).
  • Their starting 4, Collin Holloway, was a sophomore.
  • Jordan Riley, a top-150 recruit of '21, didn't play since 12/11.
  • For '22, they bring in a good scorer in Denver Anglin and an intriguing wing piece in Howard transfer Wayne Bristol Jr (12.5p, 40 3p%). Three-star recruit D'Ante Bass adds long term depth too.
  • BIG if, but Mohammed returning for another year to build his perimeter game would be HUGE.
Guards: Harris, Beard, Anglin
Wings: Mohammed, Hollloway, Riley, Bristol
Forwards/Bigs: Billingsley, Mutombo, Wilson, Igohefe.

Reaction Score
I might be in the minority here, but with so much turnover and such a young team, I'd like to see what Ewing can do next year with this squad.
  • Their two point guards, Dante Harris (so) and Tyler Beard (fr) were underclassmen.
  • Their centers were either bad (Ighoefe and Wilson) or freshmen (Ryan Mutombo, #112 prospect of '21 and Jalin Billingsley, #225 prospect of '21).
  • For '22, they bring in a good scorer in Denver Anglin and an intriguing wing piece in Howard transfer Wayne Bristol Jr (12.5p, 40 3p%). Three-star recruit D'Ante Bass adds long term depth too.
  • BIG if, but Mohammed returning for another year to build his perimeter game would be HUGE.
20+ straight losses. You're giving him way too much credit. It wouldn't take much to be better than this season, but just look at his entire body of work.

Reaction Score
20+ straight losses. You're giving him way too much credit. It wouldn't take much to be better than this season, but just look at his entire body of work.
Yeah a massive improvement (talking 50-75+ spot jump in KenPom) probably gets them to a 6-14 last placed team. And that's an outlier year over year improvement. You really have to consider how truly abysmal they were this year.

And typically you only get those massive jumps by upgrading the coach, not keeping status quo (see the expected jump by Butler this year that didn't happen... they ended up worse).

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
The entire team transferred out and then they went 0-20 in conference play. No one survives that. But it sounds like the university is sticking with him just surrounding him with more competent coaches.

Reaction Score
They need to engineer a John Thompson IV, V, VI. For future needs. Kind of like Star wars

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom