Could this be Patrick Ewing’s last year? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Could this be Patrick Ewing’s last year?

Reaction Score

Neat little article detailing who could replace the legend Patrick Ewing. I (secretly) hope Georgetown could pull off another miracle run in the big east tournament like last year just so the big east could have 8 teams in the big dance.

Who would you like to see take over as head coach of Georgetown? And when do you think we can see a new coach?
Bobby Hurley

Reaction Score
At this point Geoegetown is sending the message we are not too concerned about basketball. We are Educational organization and we'd rather be loyal to our guy Patrick Ewing.

At least I hope that's what they are thinking. Because from a basketball standpoint his teams are trash. They really don't try hard either. With more than 10 minutes left they have clearly quit in at least 2 of the last 4 games against us.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Kimani Young could do well there but after Ewing they might want someone with hc experience. Kimani could turn that program around pretty quickly
Be Quiet Cut It Out GIF

Reaction Score
I do not think Cooley leaves for Georgetown if they pursued him (let alone have the stones to fire Ewing), but consider the fact that when Georgetown is good they typically average a higher fan attendance than what PC's arena can hold. The last time Georgetown was good, they averaged over 13k at Capital One (and the building has a working roof).

Also the greater prestige, program history, and an endowment 8x the size assuming Georgetown is ready to really open up the checkbook here. I think facilities are on par as well.

I will also add Cooley's most critical cogs for his team of luck this season is gone after this year (losing Watson, Durham) so unless he absolutely crushes the portal since they only have 3 three stars coming in, next year could be rough for them and so it is a good time to leave town if he so chose.

Whether he pulls a Chris Mack has yet to be seen but I remain skeptical, more about Georgetown's ability to pull this off given they seem beholden to the JTII legacy more than anything.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I do not think Cooley leaves for Georgetown if they pursued him (let alone have the stones to fire Ewing), but consider the fact that when Georgetown is good they typically average a higher fan attendance than what PC's arena can hold. The last time Georgetown was good, they averaged over 13k at Capital One (and the building has a working roof).

Also the greater prestige, program history, and an endowment 8x the size assuming Georgetown is ready to really open up the checkbook here. I think facilities are on par as well.

I will also add Cooley's most critical cogs for his team of luck this season is gone after this year (losing Watson, Durham) so unless he absolutely crushes the portal since they only have 3 three stars coming in, next year could be rough for them and so it is a good time to leave town if he so chose.

Whether he pulls a Chris Mack has yet to be seen but I remain skeptical, more about Georgetown's ability to pull this off given they seem beholden to the JTII legacy more than anything.
I have to think that most coaches will have seen what happened to Chris Beard and not change jobs within conference away from a currently rabid fanbase unless it is their absolute dream job.

Reaction Score
I have to think that most coaches will have seen what happened to Chris Beard and not change jobs within conference away from a currently rabid fanbase unless it is their absolute dream job.
I don't see what is so bad about the Chris Beard situation unless I am missing something. Went to the larger school, with the bigger fanbase and did it for a small / negligible uptick in salary. So one game a year he goes into a hostile environment directed specifically at him.

I have seen historically Texas is pretty bad support wise for basketball in terms of fan attendance, but I am sure Tech is probably the same way when they aren't as good as the last couple years. It also hurt that Adams kept the ship upright at least initially in his wake. Time will tell if he can do that long term.

Reaction Score
I don't see what is so bad about the Chris Beard situation unless I am missing something. Went to the larger school, with the bigger fanbase and did it for a small / negligible uptick in salary. So one game a year he goes into a hostile environment directed specifically at him.

I have seen historically Texas is pretty bad support wise for basketball in terms of fan attendance, but I am sure Tech is probably the same way when they aren't as good as the last couple years. It also hurt that Adams kept the ship upright at least initially in his wake. Time will tell if he can do that long term.
They also came into his home stadium and made him have an away game at home. Lots of embarrassment there. Generally just made him look like a jerk to everyone. A lot of aired dirty laundry. A lot of shine came off his rose.

When you can take an equally good job elsewhere, doesn't seem worth it. Couple of other decent openings this cycle (Louisville or Maryland).

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Georgetown should aim higher than Cooley, he is not a good in game coach. I don't know if anyone better would be interested, but they should try.

Reaction Score
You're talking about 2022 Lappie Award winner Ed Cooley there
I enjoyed how the announcers acted beyond amazed that Dikembe held the Lappie. They must have mentioned it 3 or 4 times.

Reaction Score
Georgetown truly doesn’t care about the basketball program. Oh sure, they don’t want to be a joke, worse than DePaul. But if Ewing gets bounced, it will be a pretty sweet gig for the next guy. Finish .500 most years, maybe get an NCAA bid every few years. The current leadership at Georgetown has a view that is far closer to the Ivy League, and frankly they have a school that is closer to the Ivy League than to the commuter colleges that make up most of the New Big East. Honestly, if it weren’t for the legacy of being an original Big East member, they would be far more likely to join the Patriot League than the NEWBIE. They might have some older alumni who remember the glory days, but that group is getting smaller every year. They are far more interested in winning Pulitzers and than NCAA Titles these days.

Reaction Score
Georgetown truly doesn’t care about the basketball program. Oh sure, they don’t want to be a joke, worse than DePaul. But if Ewing gets bounced, it will be a pretty sweet gig for the next guy. Finish .500 most years, maybe get an NCAA bid every few years. The current leadership at Georgetown has a view that is far closer to the Ivy League, and frankly they have a school that is closer to the Ivy League than to the commuter colleges that make up most of the New Big East. Honestly, if it weren’t for the legacy of being an original Big East member, they would be far more likely to join the Patriot League than the NEWBIE. They might have some older alumni who remember the glory days, but that group is getting smaller every year. They are far more interested in winning Pulitzers and than NCAA Titles these days.
Freescooter doesn't care about the University of Connecticut, UConn basketball or the Big East and makes a fool of himself with each one of his posts.

Reaction Score
If this is all true, what would be the school's rationale for giving Ewing a contract extension after making the NCAA Tournament last year? If the school truly doesn't care why didn't they just let the big contract expire and hire some cheaper young coach?

Reaction Score
If this is all true, what would be the school's rationale for giving Ewing a contract extension after making the NCAA Tournament last year? If the school truly doesn't care why didn't they just let the big contract expire and hire some cheaper young coach?
He’s Patrick Freaking Ewing, for heaven’s sake. That’s why. Look, believe it or don ‘t. Georgetown Ranks having a great basketball team about 3 places below where the rank having attractive tiles in the womens’ bathrooms in Lauinger Library. They haven’t been relevant for 15 years. Last year was the first time they were in the tournament since 2015 and it took a miracle run to get there. They aren’t becoming Villanova or Gonzaga. They likely won’t even try. I don’t know if Ewing will be back. But if You are an up and coming coach, you aren’t going to Georgetown. They aren’t letting you recruit anyone regardless of academics. They aren’t letting guys take fake classes.

Note on commuter schools: St. John’s 13% of undergrads live on campus. De Paul 1% live on campus, those are the definition of commuter schools.

Reaction Score
He’s Patrick Freaking Ewing, for heaven’s sake. That’s why. Look, believe it or don ‘t. Georgetown Ranks having a great basketball team about 3 places below where the rank having attractive tiles in the womens’ bathrooms in Lauinger Library. They haven’t been relevant for 15 years. Last year was the first time they were in the tournament since 2015 and it took a miracle run to get there. They aren’t becoming Villanova or Gonzaga. They likely won’t even try. I don’t know if Ewing will be back. But if You are an up and coming coach, you aren’t going to Georgetown. They aren’t letting you recruit anyone regardless of academics. They aren’t letting guys take fake classes.

Note on commuter schools: St. John’s 13% of undergrads live on campus. De Paul 1% live on campus, those are the definition of commuter schools.
Wow, you exposed yourself even more than you usually do.

Reaction Score

What’s the general salary range for their next coach in your mind? Since, you know, they don’t care about basketball and aren’t really going to try. It must be like $50K right? Probably less, that could buy so many bathroom tiles.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom