Cord Cutters | Page 22 | The Boneyard

Cord Cutters

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I’m thinking of a combination of high speed internet, a Roku, YouTube Tv, Philos, & Netflix to kill the cable bill. Viewing their channels they’re missing SNY, YES, & NESN. How do I get those?

Reaction Score
So it looks like we are moving forward with the cord cutting (although I've always thought that was a dumb name considering I'm still tethered to a cable company as ISP).

After doing a quick review, it seems like YouTube is the better service, for the better price. Better cloud DVR, simultaneous stream on 3 rather than 2 devices, a handful more channels. It looks like YouTube is a better price even if you are using Hulu since Hulu makes you upgrade $10 to be able to skip commercials and another $10 to stream to more than 2 devices simultaneously?

So is Hulu's only current advantage in the Northeast the access to YES network? I'm a Yankee fan so that means something to me, but I also saw Prime had inked a deal to show some games (whatever that will mean when/if the season comes back).

Reaction Score
So it looks like we are moving forward with the cord cutting (although I've always thought that was a dumb name considering I'm still tethered to a cable company as ISP).

After doing a quick review, it seems like YouTube is the better service, for the better price. Better cloud DVR, simultaneous stream on 3 rather than 2 devices, a handful more channels. It looks like YouTube is a better price even if you are using Hulu since Hulu makes you upgrade $10 to be able to skip commercials and another $10 to stream to more than 2 devices simultaneously?

So is Hulu's only current advantage in the Northeast the access to YES network? I'm a Yankee fan so that means something to me, but I also saw Prime had inked a deal to show some games (whatever that will mean when/if the season comes back).
I use Hulu because of the Disney+ ESPN+ bundle. Disney+ is actually incredible and I don’t even have kids. If you have little ones it’s a no brainer.

Reaction Score
That's my issue too. Since sports have been canceled, I got rid of all live-streaming services but prior to YES' removal from YouTube, it was my service of choice.

My only advice for streaming TV: be flexible and avoid brand loyalty. None of these services have long-term contracts so it's easy to bounce around.

Baseball, Yankees baseball specifically, is the only TV I watch over the summer, so whenever MLB is back I'll get Hulu. Only downside is that it doesn't get MSG for Rangers games, but I've learned to watch live high-quality pirated streams on my laptop without having to deal with sketchy pop-ups.

Looking at their sports' package, Hulu is also a great fit for college basketball (ESPN/2/3/their minions, CBS Sports, FS1). It also has enhanced DVR, which is KEY for football.

Last edited:

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score

I'll say cutting the chord is probably the best decision I ever made and am in the same boat with YES Network as a Yankee fan. It takes some getting used to but it works well. As I was making my decision on streaming services, I was all set to sign up for YouTubeTV as they had a great line-up of channels and a nice looking interface. Two days after I started my YoutubeTV free trial, they dropped the YES Network. So I ended up going with Hulu which was slightly more expensive and worked out 300mbs internet plus phone line for $78 from Cablevision. Yankee games will be streamed on various other services like Prime, Facebook and ESPN throughout the season but over the summer, I tend to ONLY watch Yankee games at night so I didn't want to be limited to the select games on those services.

Bottom line I had some anxiety about cutting the chord, but it's great. I also invested in an Netgear Orbi "mesh" router that was recommended to me by the cable technician when he came to swap my modem and the streaming never drops. I guess the routers that they provide can't handle the 200-300mbs speed. Go figure.

Cut the chord and don't look back my friend!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't miss traditional cable at all and neither does the SO who I thought might have a transition phase. The DVR function is much superior than cable.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the replies. I'm in the middle of arguing with Fios. The first quote they gave me was $164 per month for 1 gig speed with their mandatory router (which I disengage and use Google wifi). That's obscene! I looked an Optimum is 1 gig speed for $69.99 (with their required router) + fees/taxes. 400gig was only $5 less per month. Assuming $20 in fees/taxes (which is what fios is) that's a $74 difference. Only issue is I'll have to wait until my fios contract is up in 4 months.

Is the Optimum pricing what I should be looking at for internet only?

EDIT: As I'm chatting with Verizon, they dropped the price to $79.99 per month for a gig, but they are still trying to get me to tack on a router for $15 per month. Still too high?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For the cord cutters, I strongly recommend PlutoTV. It's not a replacement for cable, or on the level of YouTubeTV or the other top options - but I think it's an excellent supplement with a gigantic range of choices, really something for everyone.

I'm partial to BUZZR, which plays Classic Concentration, Supermarket Sweep, and Press Your Luck several times a day!

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Anyone know what Charter internet alone costs? My bill is $170+, which includes internet. I can't remember the last time I watched or recorded live tv.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Is the Optimum pricing what I should be looking at for internet only?
For comparison purposes, Cox in CT is charging me $84 out the door for 150 internet. Upgrading to "Gigablast" would be another $27.

Reaction Score
Anyone know what Charter internet alone costs? My bill is $170+, which includes internet. I can't remember the last time I watched or recorded live tv.
I’m paying 74.99/month for 100 mbps which I think is the most basic but it’s just fine for me and my wife.

I saw a 1 year deal for internet and basic cable for 45/month for new customers.

Reaction Score
For comparison purposes, Cox in CT is charging me $84 out the door for 150 internet. Upgrading to "Gigablast" would be another $27.

Interesting. So cutting the cord isn't as cheap as people often think. I'm currently paying $180 for fios after tax/fees with phone, big tv package with showtime, and 75/75 internet. I assume I'll need an upgraded speed if we're streaming everything, and the price difference between a couple hundred meg and 1 gig is negligible.

In the end, Optimum is $84 all in for 1 gig. That's the price for life. Fios is $95 for the same (for two years). Fios would not match Optimum. Add in $50 for YouTube TV and there is definitely savings, but also less channels and no phone. How are some of you guys saving upwards of $100 per month, but still going with one of the live tv options?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Interesting. So cutting the cord isn't as cheap as people often think.
It was for us in terms of total cost. Our cable bill had drifted over $300. We got rid of everything but internet and replaced it with YouTube TV for $53. Apples to apples is $315 v $137 (plus 1-time router purchase). Combine that with the $100/month I save since I switched to Amica and I got a nice raise this year.

Reaction Score
I’m paying 74.99/month for 100 mbps which I think is the most basic but it’s just fine for me and my wife.

I saw a 1 year deal for internet and basic cable for 45/month for new customers.

I have Comcast and I pay $50 for 300mbps. Sounds like you guys are getting hosed.

Reaction Score
I'm paying $120 for cable and internet with Optimum. Been thinking of cutting the cable but the cost savings don't really seen to be there if it's still $70+ for internet only

Reaction Score

I pay $64.99 for internet alone @ Spectrum, I legit feel like it was $49.99 four years ago when we first set it up

Reaction Score
I just tried cutting my Spectrum service in Florida. I am paying $150 a month. I can reduce it to 74.99 for internet only which I planned on doing. Unfortunately due to the fact that I called after the billing cycle started, I was advised that they would not pro-rate my bill. In other words, if I dropped my cable today they would drop my service but I would still pay for it. That is part of the terms and conditions of the service that I just read for the first time. They gave me some crazy excuse that dropping service can only be done at a specific time which of course is BS. So now I will have to wait until beginning of June which I will do. I also asked the rep if I would be credited for the fact that there is no sports on cable and he gave me some excuse as well. I really only care about sports as I pay for Amazon Prime and receive Roku for free.

Reaction Score
I just tried cutting my Spectrum service in Florida. I am paying $150 a month. I can reduce it to 74.99 for internet only which I planned on doing. Unfortunately due to the fact that I called after the billing cycle started, I was advised that they would not pro-rate my bill. In other words, if I dropped my cable today they would drop my service but I would still pay for it. That is part of the terms and conditions of the service that I just read for the first time. They gave me some crazy excuse that dropping service can only be done at a specific time which of course is BS. So now I will have to wait until beginning of June which I will do. I also asked the rep if I would be credited for the fact that there is no sports on cable and he gave me some excuse as well. I really only care about sports as I pay for Amazon Prime and receive Roku for free.
I really want to see the numbers of how many cable subscriptions were cancelled between March and May. My guess is it skyrocketed without sports. The cable companies did it to themselves. They choose not to keep up with the times.

Reaction Score
I really want to see the numbers of how many cable subscriptions were cancelled between March and May. My guess is it skyrocketed without sports. The cable companies did it to themselves. They choose not to keep up with the times.
Likewise. I care very little for reruns of most sporting events. I watch some and I did watch Last Dance a few times but I think cable companies should refund some money.

Do any other cable systems not pro-rate when you cancel service? This is unacceptable to me especially since I can only add service and not remove service on-line and usually have to wait to talk to a rep. I waited over 20 minutes yesterday before I hung up and called at 6AM today.

Reaction Score
Likewise. I care very little for reruns of most sporting events. I watch some and I did watch Last Dance a few times but I think cable companies should refund some money.

Do any other cable systems not pro-rate when you cancel service? This is unacceptable to me especially since I can only add service and not remove service on-line and usually have to wait to talk to a rep. I waited over 20 minutes yesterday before I hung up and called at 6AM today.
It's basically every major cable service that does this. There's a lawsuit against them for it but who knows how long that will go on and how it'll be decided

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
With Disney+ and Hulu remember if you have Verizon, some of their upper tier plans give you one year free of Disney+.

I prefer You Tube TV over Hulu Live but if You Tube jacks prices again, I'm out.
I don't care one bit about YES because Yankees are turds.

Reaction Score
With Disney+ and Hulu remember if you have Verizon, some of their upper tier plans give you one year free of Disney+.

I prefer You Tube TV over Hulu Live but if You Tube jacks prices again, I'm out.
I don't care one bit about YES because Yankees are turds.
Hulu Live was definitely the better buy last year (Yankees fan) before they raised their prices. Now they cost about the same. The thing I like about Hulu still, compared to YouTube is the user interface, seems more informative. It's a moot point though, switched to DTV three months ago.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I just negotiated with Comcast. Was paying 305 for cable, land line and internet, and got it down to about 215.brutal to them about the real price will be $215? They said yes and no contract to hold me. I agreed for now (hoping YouTube tv gets yes back)
New Bill came: $230! Unbelievable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom