Cord Cutters | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Cord Cutters

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I’m thinking of a combination of high speed internet, a Roku, YouTube Tv, Philos, & Netflix to kill the cable bill. Viewing their channels they’re missing SNY, YES, & NESN. How do I get those?

GemParty

Reaction Score
I started the thread and I’m pleased to see 17 pages of helping one another.

I made the leap and live in Central CT. We don’t miss cable. We got two Rokus and our own equipment. YouTubeTV. Prime. Netflix. Philos. Will probably get Disney+. Can add on HBO or Showtime as needed a month here or there.

We have locals, & YES, NESN, SNY. NBATV. NBCSports Boston. ESPNU. FS1, 2. MLB Network. SEC. BTN. ACCN. CBS sports.

My internet’s not terribly fast. Works smooth. Multiple TVs, phones. iPad. Xbox play.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Live in Central CT. We don’t miss cable. YouTubeTV. Prime. Netflix. Philos. Will probably get Disney+. Can add on HBO or Showtime as needed a month here or there.

We have locals, & YES, NESN, SNY. NBATV. NBCSports Boston. ESPNU. FS1, 2. MLB Network. SEC. BTN. ACCN. CBS sports.

My internet’s not terribly fast. Works smooth. Multiple TVs, phones. iPad. Xbox play.
Playstation Vue is sunsetting January 31st. I'm in the market for a new streaming service. YoutubeTV is one of the options but the lack of NFL Network and Redzone are a problem.

This brings me to FuboTV. Anyone have this? I'd miss the Disney channels (my daughter is very young ) but I'd get Nickelodeon so it's basically a wash. And I'd get Disney+. I'd miss ABC but it has everything else. Would love some first hand reviews.

Reaction Score
Just bought two Roku Stream+ stick things to replace the boxes that Comcast is charging me $7 a month each for. My ROI is about 7 months. I may replace one of my X1 client boxes which I think is like $15 a month there, much better ROI. So far so good on the Roku stick thingy.
I think you have the right formula. Get internet and content from cable company but run Rokus in place of additional cable boxes.

Reaction Score
I've been trying out locast.org and it works well for me for local channels. I get only FOX in my area and ABC/NBC is fuzzy and not getting CBS at all with any of the indoor antennas that I've tried.

The locast app I've used used to freeze up and I read that it freezes when it asks for a donation. I gave it a shot for $5 and it doesn't freeze up on me anymore. Actually watching the Dallas/Vikes game right now from locast.org. I might have to pair this with Sling.

GemParty

Reaction Score
Hoping to ditch Cox internet soon. GoNet is happening cheaper in Weha. Surrounding towns next after proof of concept is complete. My friend owns LeBlanc Tech Services.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I've been trying out locast.org and it works well for me for local channels. I get only FOX in my area and ABC/NBC is fuzzy and not getting CBS at all with any of the indoor antennas that I've tried.

The locast app I've used used to freeze up and I read that it freezes when it asks for a donation. I gave it a shot for $5 and it doesn't freeze up on me anymore. Actually watching the Dallas/Vikes game right now from locast.org. I might have to pair this with Sling.

The local stations on You Tube TV is what put it over the top for me. Where I live in Florida I only get the ABC station over the air with a constant good feed. Even using all the techniques for indoor antennas, I do not get Fox at all. CBS and NBC can pixilate and freeze for me. With You Tube TV all four networks are part of the package.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Playstation Vue is sunsetting January 31st. I'm in the market for a new streaming service. YoutubeTV is one of the options but the lack of NFL Network and Redzone are a problem.

This brings me to FuboTV. Anyone have this? I'd miss the Disney channels (my daughter is very young ) but I'd get Nickelodeon so it's basically a wash. And I'd get Disney+. I'd miss ABC but it has everything else. Would love some first hand reviews.

The only problem with Fubo is no ESPNs.

I'm in the same boat as you, I love Red Zone and would love to be able to keep it, but none of these streaming bundles have all of the sports channels that I want like PS Vue has (had).

Reaction Score

I'm in the same boat as you, I love Red Zone and would love to be able to keep it, but none of these streaming bundles have all of the sports channels that I want like PS Vue has (had).

I think that once the college basketball season is over, I might give PhiloTV a chance. Its $20 for most of the channels I get with YoutubeTV, but without any sports channels whatsoever. It also has a DVR.

GemParty

Reaction Score
If YouTube capitalizes on Vue shutting down, they should grab NFL stuff.

Reaction Score
The local stations on You Tube TV is what put it over the top for me. Where I live in Florida I only get the ABC station over the air with a constant good feed. Even using all the techniques for indoor antennas, I do not get Fox at all. CBS and NBC can pixilate and freeze for me. With You Tube TV all four networks are part of the package.
I guess it's a YMMV on this one. Have you tried locast.org?

I'm probably not going to go for You Tube TV since it's $50 a month. I cut the cord to save $50-$60 a month anyways. I'll probably get ESPN+for the UCONN games in addition to Sling TV.

Reaction Score
I guess it's a YMMV on this one. Have you tried locast.org?

I'm probably not going to go for You Tube TV since it's $50 a month. I cut the cord to save $50-$60 a month anyways. I'll probably get ESPN+for the UCONN games in addition to Sling TV.

Which UConn games will be on ESPN+? Someone can correct me, but I don't think any? You don't get the ESPN3 games with ESPN+, you need a normal ESPN package cable/streaming subscription to get those.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score

Wow how did I overlook that!? Not that I watch ESPN very much outside of UConn games.

I suppose there is always a way to stream redzone on reddit somewhere...

Reaction Score
Which UConn games will be on ESPN+? Someone can correct me, but I don't think any? You don't get the ESPN3 games with ESPN+, you need a normal ESPN package cable/streaming subscription to get those.
If the games are on ESPN+, I'll get it but if not I'm going to stream it from reddit :). I'm going to subscribe to ESPN+ for the other programming.

Reaction Score

I get 38 channels with an outdoor antenna. Some PBS repeats. Great way to get all your local channels. Fubo is missing too much for me especially the ESPN networks

Reaction Score
Hoping to ditch Cox internet soon. GoNet is happening cheaper in Weha. Surrounding towns next after proof of concept is complete. My friend owns LeBlanc Tech Services.
Ever stop to wonder why Google and others announce they are gonna do something with FTTH, but never follow through or shut down soon after starting?

Reaction Score
Just checked with YouTube TV and they don't carry local PBS channels!?! I'm sure the subscription charge for them is little or non-existent. Those stations are a must-have for us. Does anyone know of an alternative?

Reaction Score
Just checked with YouTube TV and they don't carry local PBS channels!?! I'm sure the subscription charge for them is little or non-existent. Those stations are a must-have for us. Does anyone know of an alternative?

YoutubeTV was supposed to start carrying PBS channels a couple of weeks ago. They had something happen and are postponing adding them right now. They are working on it from what I have read.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Just bought two Roku Stream+ stick things to replace the boxes that Comcast is charging me $7 a month each for. My ROI is about 7 months. I may replace one of my X1 client boxes which I think is like $15 a month there, much better ROI. So far so good on the Roku stick thingy.
We just did the same. We're keeping only one X1 box and DVR on the main TV and doing the Comcast streaming beta app on Roku for all the rest. Saving $37 per month from that swap alone, plus they knocked our overall bill down another $13 per month because we got some new deal with the same channels. So now we're saving $600 a year.

Reaction Score
YTTV, am I looking at it correctly? On their guide, I only can see a 1 hour window for the same day?
Granted, I’m in a trial period as having signed up early due to billing difficulties with PSV.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
I get 38 channels with an outdoor antenna. Some PBS repeats. Great way to get all your local channels. Fubo is missing too much for me especially the ESPN networks
What besides ESPN is it missing? Seems like no Disney stuff at all...but I did see Nick so that's essentially the same.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
YTTV, am I looking at it correctly? On their guide, I only can see a 1 hour window for the same day?
Granted, I’m in a trial period as having signed up early due to billing difficulties with PSV.

When you scroll through channel list, hit the right arrow on your remote and you can see further in to future.

Reaction Score
Went to Xfinity to drop off the three boxes I pulled out of the house. $22 a month savings. Guy said I was close to hitting my 1TB limit and recommended i upgrade to Extreme internet as it had no data cap. Including the XB6 modem, 300mbps and no data brought my bill down even further to $158 with auto pay. I wasnt going to change out my bedroom box because of the data cap, but now that it's unlimited I went to Best Buy and bought two more Roku's and will return another X1 box tomorrow for additional savings.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom