Cord Cutters | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Cord Cutters

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I’m thinking of a combination of high speed internet, a Roku, YouTube Tv, Philos, & Netflix to kill the cable bill. Viewing their channels they’re missing SNY, YES, & NESN. How do I get those?

Reaction Score
I’m thinking of a combination of high speed internet, a Roku, YouTube Tv, Philos, & Netflix to kill the cable bill. Viewing their channels they’re missing SNY, YES, & NESN. How do I get those?
Hulu is a better deal than YouTube TV. $10 bucks cheaper too.

Reaction Score
here comes 'philo tv.' 20 bucks, no sports.

If I wasn't in to sports, that would totally be the way to go. I didn't read anything about DVR options. Do you know if it does have it?

Reaction Score
It's $5 cheaper, not $10. Only allows 2 streams vs. 3 from YoutubeTV. Only has 50 hours of DVR vs. unlimited from YoutubeTV.
Have you tried them both? I have. Trust me Hulu is better with live sports and movies & TV shows, and news. It also gradually learns what you like and what you don't like, and is rock solid on streaming, no matter what time of day. YouTube TV was a couple pennies shy of $55 after all the fees and taxes they add. Hulu with live TV charged me $45 and it always had the Yankees and UConn on various feeds, not so with YouTube TV. YouTube does have unlimited DVR where Hulu doesn't but to me that is not a big deal. YouTube TV also charges $11 extra for add free movies.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Have you tried them both? I have. Trust me Hulu is better with live sports and movies & TV shows, and news. It also gradually learns what you like and what you don't like, and is rock solid on streaming, no matter what time of day. YouTube TV was a couple pennies shy of $55 after all the fees and taxes they add. Hulu with live TV charged me $45 and it always had the Yankees and UConn on various feeds, not so with YouTube TV. YouTube does have unlimited DVR where Hulu doesn't but to me that is not a big deal. YouTube TV also charges $11 extra for add free movies.

Ok that makes sense for you. For me and where I live, YoutubeTV doesn't charge any fees and taxes, so it truly is $50. Also, when NFL is on, I can change location to get whatever game I want. That is nice for me. I also share my account with multiple people, so having 3 streams is nice.

Because I don't live in CT anymore, it is hard to get Yankee games, unless they are on MLB network or ESPN. Regarding UConn games, it wasn't a problem last couple of years, but I'm guessing that this season it will be hard. Isn't this year the year where new TV deal goes into effect, so ESPN+ is where most games will be on?????

Reaction Score
Ok that makes sense for you. For me and where I live, YoutubeTV doesn't charge any fees and taxes, so it truly is $50. Also, when NFL is on, I can change location to get whatever game I want. That is nice for me. I also share my account with multiple people, so having 3 streams is nice.

Because I don't live in CT anymore, it is hard to get Yankee games, unless they are on MLB network or ESPN. Regarding UConn games, it wasn't a problem last couple of years, but I'm guessing that this season it will be hard. Isn't this year the year where new TV deal goes into effect, so ESPN+ is where most games will be on?????
Nope that is next year when the new contract kicks in. We are leaving just before it does so you will be fine watching all the games on YoutubeTV.

Reaction Score
Just made the switch from DirecTV to Youtube TV. Like another poster, I am saving $120 a month right off the bat and have all the UConn games covered.

The only channel I am bummed I don't get is MSG for the Rangers. Any suggestions on how to still watch them?

Reaction Score
Just made the switch from DirecTV to Youtube TV. Like another poster, I am saving $120 a month right off the bat and have all the UConn games covered.

The only channel I am bummed I don't get is MSG for the Rangers. Any suggestions on how to still watch them?
Try to login directly to the MSG app using your YouTube TV credentials. Sometimes that will work if the streaming service you have doesn't have what you want.

Reaction Score
Season is getting close I cut my cord. I have fubo and Hulu so far. Neither are covering first game i live far away from ct. anyone know options for me to stream it? Thanks

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Season is getting close I cut my cord. I have fubo and Hulu so far. Neither are covering first game i live far away from ct. anyone know options for me to stream it? Thanks
I’m just curious, what’s your total with internet and all streaming services combined? I really gave cord cutting a long look and realized the savings were negligible if anything over cable, and when combined with the extreme delay in game time (60-90 seconds behind) decided it wasn’t worth cutting it

Edit: the FUBO TV package I’d need with all the sports channels looks like its $74.99/month. Combine that with Hulu at $5.99 per month you’re at $81. Not sure if you’re buying Netflix/ESPN+/etc so we won’t count those. If your internet is $60 you’re at $141. My previous ATT UVerse 300 + Internet was contracted at $84.99 for 2 years then set to increase to $120. Ditched it to get upgraded internet and TV with Google Fiber and its at $150/month total. Just curious because it may not ultimately be worth the cost to cut the cord if you don’t have to

Reaction Score
I’m just curious, what’s your total with internet and all streaming services combined? I really gave cord cutting a long look and realized the savings were negligible if anything over cable, and when combined with the extreme delay in game time (60-90 seconds behind) decided it wasn’t worth cutting it

Edit: the FUBO TV package I’d need with all the sports channels looks like its $74.99/month. Combine that with Hulu at $5.99 per month you’re at $81. Not sure if you’re buying Netflix/ESPN+/etc so we won’t count those. If your internet is $60 you’re at $141. My previous ATT UVerse 300 + Internet was contracted at $84.99 for 2 years then set to increase to $120. Ditched it to get upgraded internet and TV with Google Fiber and its at $150/month total. Just curious because it may not ultimately be worth the cost to cut the cord if you don’t have to
The savings is negligible, but how many people with cable DONT have a Netflix/ Prime subscription?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

The problem I've found with traditional cable companies when I look into switching back is the hidden fees. Comcast had a good deal for internet and cable that would've saved me money, but then when I looked into it there was a regional sports fee of $9 a month, modem leasing fee of $10, cable box fees...it would've come to an extra $40 or so a month, and the deal didn't even include all of the sports channels I need. When I left Comcast a few years ago, my bill was up to $220 a month, and when I called them to try to negotiate it down they said they could only knock $10 off my bill a month since I wanted to keep SNY.

Also, I'm not sure what streaming service you looked into that's a minute and a half behind live, but that hasn't been my experience at all. It's a little behind live, sure, maybe 10-15 seconds, but that's it. If that 10-15 seconds is critical to you, then I completely understand.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The problem I've found with traditional cable companies when I look into switching back is the hidden fees. Comcast had a good deal for internet and cable that would've saved me money, but then when I looked into it there was a regional sports fee of $9 a month, modem leasing fee of $10, cable box fees...it would've come to an extra $40 or so a month, and the deal didn't even include all of the sports channels I need. When I left Comcast a few years ago, my bill was up to $220 a month, and when I called them to try to negotiate it down they said they could only knock $10 off my bill a month since I wanted to keep SNY.

Also, I'm not sure what streaming service you looked into that's a minute and a half behind live, but that hasn't been my experience at all. It's a little behind live, sure, maybe 10-15 seconds, but that's it. If that 10-15 seconds is critical to you, then I completely understand.
Purchase your own gateway (wireless modem and wi-fi), return the auxiliary boxes, and stream Xfinity Stream Beta off a Roku.

Cable companies don't care if you threaten to leave their linear service anymore. They are most likely the only ISP in the area, which has greater margins.

Reaction Score
I, well, my wife did, cut the cord this past weekend and I'm trying Philo as we speak. No sports which kinda blows. But I'm on my week free trial.

I don't get CBS/NBC over the air as I'm a bit far away and locast.org keeps freezing. I think I will need to do Sling with their install of an external antenna. Has anyone had any experience with that?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Youtube TV has these but you will either have SNY and YES, if you are in the NY metro area or NESN, if you are in New England.

Reaction Score

My understanding is you can use your Hulu live login credentials to log into the ESPN app, which will give you ESPN3.

Reaction Score
Cutting the cord saved me $50. Youtube/Hulu Live is 50 bucks. What gives! :) Think I'm going to stick with Sing ...

Reaction Score

That is my experience as well. The DVR and cable box rental fees is where they really scrape you. I have 4 soon to be 5 tvs. Its a shame playstationvue is going cause they allowed 5 streams per household. Youtube tv is next best at 3.

I've looked into going back to cable a few times. And always they're advertised price is too good ro be true when yiu factor all tvs in yiur house

Husky25

Reaction Score
That is my experience as well. The DVR and cable box rental fees is where they really scrape you. I have 4 soon to be 5 tvs. Its a shame playstationvue is going cause they allowed 5 streams per household. Youtube tv is next best at 3.

I've looked into going back to cable a few times. And always they're advertised price is too good ro be true when yiu factor all tvs in yiur house
Even if you don't have Best Buy credits, Rokus pay for themselves inside of 4 months. The gateway is quite a bit more expensive, but considering the rental cost for the aux boxes, that will pay for itself inside of a year. How many TVs are reasonably being watched at one time?

Reaction Score
Even if you don't have Best Buy credits, Rokus pay for themselves inside of 4 months. The gateway is quite a bit more expensive, but considering the rental cost for the aux boxes, that will pay for itself inside of a year. How many TVs are reasonably being watched at one time?
Everyone is always watching something different.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Everyone is always watching something different.
I can appreciated that but it is not what I asked.

Do you anticipate all 5 sets to be streaming the same service at the same time? Xfinity is different than Netflix, are both different than Hulu, are all three different than the Internet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom