Cord Cutters | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Cord Cutters

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I’m thinking of a combination of high speed internet, a Roku, YouTube Tv, Philos, & Netflix to kill the cable bill. Viewing their channels they’re missing SNY, YES, & NESN. How do I get those?

Reaction Score
Just to revive this thread. I've been looking to do this for quite some time and probably looking to switch soon.
Disney now has full control of Hulu which will mean that Disney will likely be offering ESPN+, Disney+ (for those Marvel/Star Wars fans out there) and Hulu at one price.

Another interesting wrinkle is that it looks like TMobile and Sprint have been approved to merge. For the cost savers here, if you sign up for TMobile you will get Netflix for free while if you sign up for Sprint, you will get Hulu for free (with the ads). You'll get the best bang for your buck if you sign up for TMobile + Netflix but with Disney having full control of Hulu, it may change the scenario a bit.

Reaction Score
Just be wary and not to rehash which I'm sure was discussed but I've been on YouTube TV for awhile and like it but just last month they added another $10/month for the Discovery family of channels (about 7 in total). I don't watch any of them and now I'm hit with an additional $120/yr for nothing. I thought I was done with this nickel and diming (a little Raftery reference) when I cut the cord. If this occurs again, bye bye YouTube TV as my main plaftorm.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Showtime is doing a 4 day "preview." I get to binge Billions and it won't cost me a penny. The Roku's are working better than expected.

Cable used to be the Providers' bread and butter. They won't budge on fees and no longer care if you drop your subscription because they know you will need a beefier Internet to stream.

Reaction Score
Showtime is doing a 4 day "preview." I get to binge Billions and it won't cost me a penny. The Roku's are working better than expected.

Cable used to be the Providers' bread and butter. They won't budge on fees and no longer care if you drop your subscription because they know you will need a beefier Internet to stream.

If you had YouTubeTV, they are giving Showtime free for the summer through August. Besides that, I too, binge watched Billions as well.

I love the Roku's. To me they are amazing and so much better than the google chromecasts that I originally went with when they came out.

Reaction Score
It has been 4 months and I'm loving not having cable. I'm paying $50 for AT&T Fiber 300/300 plan and have sling right now for $30(Orange & Blue with recording) and really like it. Sling is not as good streaming as PSVue but will use it until the special price runs out and then go back to playstation vue for $45 in August and then when season starts probably the $50 plan on playstation blue. So for $80 to $100 I'm saving anywhere from $50 to $70 per month. Saving $720 to $750 a year and really only gave up Starz which I can buy separately to watch Outlanders if I really need to. Not bad. I also have MLBTV and Netflix free through T-mobile. I'm using a free Apple 4k TV device I got for switching to AT&T fiber and Amzon Fire 4K Fire Stick I got for $25. No complaint with either besides the Apple TV remote sucks(Just a pain to navigate and supers sensitive but it was free with a discounted internet plan so I can't complain).

Reaction Score
Where do you live that you get MSG. My current issue is that if I have Directv I get the NFL package to watch the Cowboys but then I also have to pay for the NBA package since I'm out of market for NY Knicks.

If I'm on Comcast (which is cheaper when bundled with my existing Comcast internet), ALL Knicks games are blacked out on MSG unless they play on ESPN/TNT and then I'm not getting the out of market NFL games.

I'm in Hartford which is apparently the Bermuda triangle when it comes to sports. Can't get MSG and I'm forced into the Boston market with NESN even though I have zero use for it.
I have the same problem in NJ with Comcast. I live on the literal border of NJ Giants territory and Philadelphia Eagles territory so I’ve had a hard time watching games.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So I see that you can have 3 simultaneous streams even though you can have 6 accounts. Does that mean that only three can use it at a time?

Reaction Score
Been on Youtubetv for a bit now. It’s fine and I’m saving money but for Yankee fans there is a blackout on the few games that are on CW network. I hear it’s supposed to be lifted for next season.

Reaction Score
For those of us that are out of the CT/NYC area and use youtube tv (or another streaming service), will there be a way to get the SNY games? I live in Boston and used to rely on getting the SNY games through watch ESPN/ESPN3 since they streamed them in out of market areas.

All of the streaming services don't offer SNY as a default channel or add-on in my area. Might have to potentially spoof my IP/region?

Reaction Score
Bros, trying to educate. You’re doing it wrong. YouTube, Roku, etc... zzzzzzzz. You’re still getting nickel-and-dimed. IPTV is the answer. $25 a month gets ALL live cable, local channels, NFL package, MLB package, NBA package, NHL package, all ESPN+ channels, etc. Look up Efflux TV, subscribe to local cable stream, and...You. Are. All. Set.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So, ran in to a dilemma this week.

I have a LG Smart TV in living room. Nothing special. Three or four years old, still came with the LG WebOS built in to it. Very nice because you don't need a dongle or steaming stick. And, as a big bonus, one remote control for everything.

About a week ago, the wifi receiver in the TV started to spit the bit. I'd be watching some streaming and it would just freeze up. I'd have to manually go in to the wifi section, find my router and re-enter password. Became a pain in the arse. Every other device in house is fine router has no problem pumping signals to each one of the devices.

Had to buy a Roku streaming stick today and plug it in.

Just a heads up, when you buy a smart TV and its OS spits the bed, you can get a streaming stick or buy a new TV.

Reaction Score
Bros, trying to educate. You’re doing it wrong. YouTube, Roku, etc... zzzzzzzz. You’re still getting nickel-and-dimed. IPTV is the answer. $25 a month gets ALL live cable, local channels, NFL package, MLB package, NBA package, NHL package, all ESPN+ channels, etc. Look up Efflux TV, subscribe to local cable stream, and...You. Are. All. Set.
I had looked at that earlier and forgot what site I went to. Thanks! I am thinking about signing up now :)

Reaction Score
I had looked at that earlier and forgot what site I went to. Thanks! I am thinking about signing up now :)
Seems like IPTV is the best bang for your buck based on what I’ve researched. But it gets ignored by many here because it’s more international, correct? For me I want all UConn sports, NFL and college FB/BB and all international soccer. Are all of those covered on IPTV? Feel free to DM. Thanks!

Reaction Score
comcast internet and tv (all sports and movie channels), netflix, hulu, and amazon prime video. pay almost $300 a month and will never ever consider cutting the cord. can't live without it.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
comcast internet and tv (all sports and movie channels), netflix, hulu, and amazon prime video. pay almost $300 a month and will never ever consider cutting the cord. can't live without it.

What’s good on Prime video?

Reaction Score
prob use it the least of any service but comes free with a prime membership. most recently watched the Americans on it and my gf watches Ms. Maisel and Downton Abbey, i think? they got some movies too.

Reaction Score
What’s good on Prime video?
There is good content out there; they have a ton of stuff. Like anything you have to take the time to search through it. Jack Ryan is good, Bosch (especially if you like the books), a lot of older HBO content is out there (Deadwood etc.). Since it's free with PRIME - it's certainly worth cost. I watch it mostly in the summer - when everything else is in repeat mode.

Reaction Score
After years of living overseas and using torrents I moved back and used Comcast. I previously had directv but Comcast service is soooo much better than directv (which seems the same as when i left when i used it at my parents house). Hate the cost, may change in the future, but for now I am keeping it.

One thing, my 7yo pretty much only uses amazon and netflix. See how this effects future decisions.

Reaction Score
My kids don’t touch cable. My wife and I only use cable for sports; UCONN and Premiere League. How do we get the sports without cable?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
My kids don’t touch cable. My wife and I only use cable for sports; UCONN and Premiere League. How do we get the sports without cable?
When I was looking into it a few months ago, YouTube TV had NESN, SNY, Fox Sports, and the ESPN family of channels.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom