Cord Cutters | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Cord Cutters

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I’m thinking of a combination of high speed internet, a Roku, YouTube Tv, Philos, & Netflix to kill the cable bill. Viewing their channels they’re missing SNY, YES, & NESN. How do I get those?

GemParty

Reaction Score
How many shares of Comcast have you shorted?

Their market cap is 190 billion - someone should tell wall street.

I haven’t done anything. This is a thread about cord cutting. Cable losing customers daily. Are you lost?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I haven’t done anything. This is a thread about cord cutting. Cable losing customers daily. Are you lost?

Yeah I barely get this stuff.

You said cable companies are going to go out business. I pointed out Wall Street still values Comcast at 190 billion dollars...

I guess that means that guy who needed the help cutting the cord from a college basketball forum knows more than the most liquid equity market on the planet.

Reaction Score
Internet from satellite companies will come eventually. Cable companies will be out of business.
And these companies will eventually charge an arm and a leg for Internet access. They are not going to let the money people are currently paying just go away. Any savings you achieve are temporary.

Last edited:

GemParty

Reaction Score

You said cable companies are going to go out business. I pointed out Wall Street still values Comcast at 190 billion dollars...

I guess that means that guy who needed the help cutting the cord from a college basketball forum knows more than the most liquid equity market on the planet.

You use this forum to pick fights with fellow fans. Why?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You use this forum to pick fights with fellow fans. Why?

I’m not picking a fight - I challenged something ridiculous you said... and you asked me if I was lost. I only pointed out who was actually lost.

Reaction Score

Hysterical. Comcast is a Fortune 40 company that only gets stronger. People who cut the cord seem to think they’re collectively putting cable companies out of business, when in reality they’re streaming over a cable company’s most profitable line of business, internet. With the stock near an all time high, Wall Street clearly knows more than snickering cord cutters.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Playstation view just dropped NESN. PSV just became a none starter.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Hysterical. Comcast is a Fortune 40 company that only gets stronger. People who cut the cord seem to think they’re collectively putting cable companies out of business, when in reality they’re streaming over a cable company’s most profitable line of business, internet. With the stock near an all time high, Wall Street clearly knows more than snickering cord cutters.
I couldn't care less about putting cable companies out of business. I care about the best value for my entertainment wants and needs. I was satisfied last month. My bill just jumped 15%. I am exploring all option before calling Comcast to see if they will lower it again.

Reaction Score
If you want to watch sports legally, cable is still the way to go imo. After you get all the services you need to watch live sports it's the same price as cable or close enough to it that the convenience factor is worth it
yes! at a discount, I'll deal with the streaming and the wonkiness of turning my tv into a phone and then choosing which app I want to watch (netflix, hule, prime, roku)...
but Hulu and DirectTV now are upping the price. again.

I think cable is the better choice for convenience, service, and picture quality. as these streaming services go up, I'll expect to plug back in.

Reaction Score
So based off this post I did a little legwork.

This guy knows what he is talking about.
this is basically any streaming over the internet vs cable... like anything else, once you go to the internet, its the wild west. some services might be legit. Other's, not so much.

Reaction Score
I couldn't care less about putting cable companies out of business. I care about the best value for my entertainment wants and needs. I was satisfied last month. My bill just jumped 15%. I am exploring all option before calling Comcast to see if they will lower it again.
I understand and don’t begrudge you or anyone else for looking at options. There are people out there who want to see cable companies collapse, with no regard for the millions of people they employ. As long as internet fuels everything, the well positioned internet providers will be fine. regardless of the cord.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Cut the cord almost 2 weeks ago and couldn't be happier. Went with YouTube TV and I'm very satisfied.

Was paying $150/mth for spectrum triple play and tier2 cable sports package that gave me redzone for NFL season and more UConn game channels. I never used the phone but having it gave me a cheaper rate.

Cut the cord. Spectrum now raping me with $65/mth internet only. Thankfully I work from home and can expense that.

YouTube TV gives me more relevant channels than I was getting with spectrum's tier2 sports package for only $50/mth. Also the interface is great. Library tracks my shows and sports teams games with ease and also gives suggestions. It DVRs all shows really... if you switch on a show, you can play it from beginning. Accessibile on all of my devices with no cable box worries or charges.

I'm also paying for Netflix, HBO now, and prime video... but I was paying for that in addition to cable before. All in all, I'm about $40 cheaper per month with better features using YouTube TV.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Cut the cord almost 2 weeks ago and couldn't be happier. Went with YouTube TV and I'm very satisfied.

Was paying $150/mth for spectrum triple play and tier2 cable sports package that gave me redzone for NFL season and more UConn game channels. I never used the phone but having it gave me a cheaper rate.

Cut the cord. Spectrum now raping me with $65/mth internet only. Thankfully I work from home and can expense that.

YouTube TV gives me more relevant channels than I was getting with spectrum's tier2 sports package for only $50/mth. Also the interface is great. Library tracks my shows and sports teams games with ease and also gives suggestions. It DVRs all shows really... if you switch on a show, you can play it from beginning. Accessibile on all of my devices with no cable box worries or charges.

I'm also paying for Netflix, HBO now, and prime video... but I was paying for that in addition to cable before. All in all, I'm about $40 cheaper per month with better features using YouTube TV.

YouTube TV doesn’t offer Redzone.

Reaction Score
I understand and don’t begrudge you or anyone else for looking at options. There are people out there who want to see cable companies collapse, with no regard for the millions of people they employ. As long as internet fuels everything, the well positioned internet providers will be fine. regardless of the cord.
With the lack of traditional internet rules anymore, relying on internet only for everything might be sketchy. At least if they’re providing a service (tv), they might be customer friendly.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

IPTV. The guy who posted in this thread was right. If you get technology a little bit and are patient screwing around with it - it’s incredible. I now know what the Netball Super League is after watching it in 1080p.

Reaction Score
With the lack of traditional internet rules anymore, relying on internet only for everything might be sketchy. At least if they’re providing a service (tv), they might be customer friendly.
Of course. In addition to internet, content is king right now, hence the huge premium Disney paid for the Fox assets, Comcast paid for European leader Sky etc. The smart companies are building up as much content as possible and don’t care as much where consumers are getting their content as long as they get it. It’s interesting to follow all this, but the really strong companies will definitely survive.

Husky25

Reaction Score
As I mentioned, I did a more detailed analysis of our entertainment package, which recently jumped 15%, vs. cord cutting. Basically the big cable companies are getting creative, provided that customer owns certain hardware. I own a compatible modem/gateway, a Roku, and a Chromecast.

As of Yesterday, we were paying over $250/month for Xfinity Triple Play and Hulu. This does not include NetFlix, to which I get through trading my Xfinity password, We were on the second highest tier for TV channels which included all of the premium movie channels. My analysis on cord cutting totaled a $50 savings and included:

$80 Internet (supporting 2 Smart TVs, at least 1 Device (Roku), 3 tablets, 2 phones, and at least 1 laptop)
50 Youtube TV
20 Philo (primarily for Nickelodeon)
16 Netflix (Presuming I can't trade a different password)
6 Hulu
15 HBO (Through Hulu)
9 Showtime (Through Hulu)
7 VPN
$203/month

BUT!!!!! What we came up with is sort of a hybrid. Comcast has a Beta Xfinity Stream app on Roku and newer Samsung Smart TVs. We are in the process of replacing our auxiliary boxes ($10/month x 2) with Roku devices and also went down a tier for channels and got rid of the premiums. We still keep the main box for DVR and X1 voice command. Going forward our monthly bill will be about $185, and I will be judicious in when I order HBO and/or Showtime. For instance, I haven't watched any of Billions this season. So I'll wait until the season is over and binge-watch it within a month. Same with Succession (disregarding the first season being free), Silicon Valley, Ballers, etc.

In short, if anyone has Comcast check this option out.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
@Husky25

- Why would your internet be $80/mo? Are you paying for a higher speed tier? 200/10 (not thrilled by the upload speed) from Spectrum is $44.99/mo
- Why are you paying for the highest tier Netflix? I assume family streams in more than 2 places at once?
- YouTube TV is good, but if you already want Hulu ... you can get their Hulu+Live Streaming for $44.99/mo. Same channels, I’ve used both - Hulu is great. That way you can still get the HBO and Showtime add-ons and don’t need to pay for YouTubeTV + Hulu basic.

I don’t watch HBO or Showtime, but my breakdown is this:
$44.99 - Internet
$44.99 - Hulu+Live TV
$16 - Netflix (4K)

No Nickelodeon is a killer if you have kids - I manage to hawk it off our in-laws cable login - but the above gets you everything else for $105/mo. Add on HBO and Showtime and you’re @ $130.

Husky25

Reaction Score
@Husky25

- Why would your internet be $80/mo? Are you paying for a higher speed tier? 200/10 (not thrilled by the upload speed) from Spectrum is $44.99/mo
- Why are you paying for the highest tier Netflix? I assume family streams in more than 2 places at once?
- YouTube TV is good, but if you already want Hulu ... you can get their Hulu+Live Streaming for $44.99/mo. Same channels, I’ve used both - Hulu is great. That way you can still get the HBO and Showtime add-ons and don’t need to pay for YouTubeTV + Hulu basic.

I don’t watch HBO or Showtime, but my breakdown is this:
$44.99 - Internet
$44.99 - Hulu+Live TV
$16 - Netflix (4K)

No Nickelodeon is a killer if you have kids - I manage to hawk it off our in-laws cable login - but the above gets you everything else for $105/mo. Add on HBO and Showtime and you’re @ $130.
Good points, all of them, and I'm sure they will help others with their decisions, but:

- These are estimates, It might be $60, but I would want Xfinity Blast!-level or higher because that is what we have now and a "complete" cord cut would only increase the number of devices.
- Spectrum is not offered in my town.
- I'm currently not paying anything for Netflix, but yes, I would plan for the ability for at least two streams at once.
- I've had Hulu for years. Ever since we were on harder times, financially, and I wanted to cut the cord with far limited options. Hulu absolutely comes in handy for certain shows. Alas, Hulu TV doesn't have NESN. No NESN = Non-starter. Otherwise I would put PlayStation Vue in the analysis (Though I want to catch Cobra Kai at some point too...Oh the dilemmas of the 1st World.).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom