Cord Cutters | Page 21 | The Boneyard

Cord Cutters

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I’m thinking of a combination of high speed internet, a Roku, YouTube Tv, Philos, & Netflix to kill the cable bill. Viewing their channels they’re missing SNY, YES, & NESN. How do I get those?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
BIG QUESTION: Youtube TV says all we need is a 7 MPS download speed and that doesn't match with the experiences others have mentioned. Any thoughts on what speed is required for great video quality?
I'm just taking a WAG but I don't think you want less than 50. Especially if you will be using more than one device at a time. We have 150 and often have 2 TV's going.

Reaction Score
Please see question on internet speed at the end.

First, thanks to all who have offered their advice and experiences with the various streaming services as well as what equipment and internet download speeds make streaming work best. We're going in that direction because of our experience with DirecTV and the fact our local cable provider dropped SNY four years ago and replaced it with the Horse Race Channel............of course, some might say that might have been more fun to watch the last four years than our football and mens basketball.

Twice in the past three years I've found DirecTV charging us for HBO and Cinemax when we didn't order it. Called them and the first rep told me we must have signed up for it, so I told him to send me a copy of the order I reputedly signed, and he then said it was done by phone so I asked him to play the audio recording that would prove I signed up. He told me they'll have to request it and it might take ten days or so. I told him "no problem" I'll call back in two weeks.

Called back and different rep told me I must have signed up for it and I repeated my experience two weeks earlier and asked when I can hear the recording. He then told me it wasn't available so I told him I wanted to speak with a supervisor. He told me I didn't need to because he can do everything a supervisor can do and I challenged him on that and he hung up on me.

Called right back and got another rep and repeated what transpired in the first two calls and that I wanted a refund for the charges and asked how I go about cancelling service (not likely to because it's the only way I can get SNY where we live in South Carolina but the rep didn't need to know that). This rep too said I must have signed up for them but did so half heartedly and when I pressed her about hearing the recording and wanting to speak with a supervisor she put me on hold and came back and advised they would refund the charges and then offered me $40 off the monthly charges for the level service we have for the next two years and discounts off the Sports Pack for one year and some other regional sports package for 6 months.

I accepted and then two years later my wife again told me we'd been charged for HBO and Cinemax for the past couple months. She didn't read the detail and initially thought the monthly charge went up because we had lost the discounts. Called DirecTV and went through much the same routine with multiple calls to several reps before they probably saw on their screens that I wasn't giving up so again after the third or fourth try we got a big discount off the entire package for two years and the smaller discounts off the other two sports packages.

We will go with a streaming service after this basketball season provided we can find one with:
All the ESPN networks;
All the FOX networks;
CBSSN;
NBCSN;
SNY;
and hopefully NESN and YES, but that's hard to do in this area.

BIG QUESTION: Youtube TV says all we need is a 7 MPS download speed and that doesn't match with the experiences others have mentioned. Any thoughts on what speed is required for great video quality?

Check the internet provider's download and upload speeds (upload speeds are quite often much lower than the quoted download speeds) before you commit. The hosts at "Computer Talk with TAB" (WTIC 1080 AM Sat 9 to 11 a.m.) suggest most users can do very well with much lower speeds than what your internet provider will try to sell you. But your needs may be very different than someone else's.

I switched to GoNetSpeed's 150 Mbps upload and download speed option ($50 per month), which is much more than I need but is the lowest option offered. I've seen Comcast info on their website that show download speeds of 250 Mbps but only 25 Mbps for uploads. Here is a link to an article that will help answer many of your questions: What Internet Speed Do I Need? | FAQs On Internet Speeds

Good luck!

GemParty

Reaction Score
You Tube tv can’t reach an agreement with YES & Fox Sports Regional sports. Dropping Feb 29. What’s the plan?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You Tube tv can’t reach an agreement with YES & Fox Sports Regional sports. Dropping Feb 29. What’s the plan?

Fox Sports Go App??

May need access to Fox Sports via another method such as Hulu Live. Not sure.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I will definitely be switching to Hulu Live instead of You Tube if this isn't cleared up before start of football season and BE sports.

GemParty

Reaction Score
Is FS1 & FS2 part of the drop? There’s been come confusion over that.

GemParty

Reaction Score
57820EEF-C312-4392-B1EA-ACAA19A1F43B.png
57820EEF-C312-4392-B1EA-ACAA19A1F43B.png
Is FS1 & FS2 part of the drop? There’s been come confusion over that.

This helps UConn & Big East move.

Reaction Score
I once chased my frontier problem all the way to the presidents office, somewhere in west florida. 'how'd you get this number?' I get that, a lot. problem solved. squeeky wheel and all that.
I did the same thing years ago will Bell Atlantic....took off work 3 different times to fix a problem...inside guy said it was an outside problem..outside guy said it was inside...an endless loop....called corp headquarters and got the CEO's office...His admin said problem would be fixed. 10 min later repairman shows up and says "I don;t know who you know, but the my boss called me and said I don;t care what you are doing stop and go to this address and fix the problem immediately.."

Reaction Score
Not a Yankee fan so not concerned. I am concerned about increasing rates for such services as YouTube TV and others that will make streaming services just as cost prohibitive as traditional cable. I just switched from Frontier cable, internet and phone to GoNetSpeed, YouTube TV and streaming devices; saving $100 per month. If YouTube TV and others don't stand up to the content providers extortion attempts we'll be back to same pricing problems that has led to massive defections away from traditional cable.

Reaction Score
Not a Yankee fan so not concerned. I am concerned about increasing rates for such services as YouTube TV and others that will make streaming services just as cost prohibitive as traditional cable. I just switched from Frontier cable, internet and phone to GoNetSpeed, YouTube TV and streaming devices; saving $100 per month. If YouTube TV and others don't stand up to the content providers extortion attempts we'll be back to same pricing problems that has led to massive defections away from traditional cable.
The answer is a true ala carte option. So many channels i could do without. Even on youtube tv there are many channels ill never watch.

Reaction Score
Has anyone canceled cable during the pandemic? If so, how was the experience since many companies are not sending guys out? Last time I moved I had to return equipment. I feel that this would be a great time to cancel or at least finagle a deal and see whether or not they call the bluff.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I feel that this would be a great time to cancel or at least finagle a deal and see whether or not they call the bluff.
When I cancelled Cox about 6 months ago there was no deal to be had. OTOH, when I called about cancelling Sirius last month I got my subscription for Select cut to $77. for the year.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Has anyone canceled cable during the pandemic? If so, how was the experience since many companies are not sending guys out? Last time I moved I had to return equipment. I feel that this would be a great time to cancel or at least finagle a deal and see whether or not they call the bluff.
Cut my cable but kept internet and phone a few weeks ago. I had already dropped off my boxes but Cablevision upgraded my internet so they sent a guy out to change the modem. He was very clean and respectful. Had Clorox wipes and wiped everything down when he was done.

Reaction Score
When I cancelled Cox about 6 months ago there was no deal to be had. OTOH, when I called about cancelling Sirius last month I got my subscription for Select cut to $77. for the year.
Xm Sirius always give u a deal if u say u will cancel. It’s usually best to reject their first offer too. I think I got 6 mo for $25 last time I ‘cancelled’

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I might today.

We’ve realized after a month of being trapped that we simply do not watch TV.

I watch sports and apparently nothing else. My wife watches Netflix if she watches anything and my daughter doesn’t have any interest in TV at all.

Reaction Score
We’ve been using YouTube TV for live TV, really just live sports. I’m likely going to shut it down and go back to Hulu for $10/month vs $50

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom