Cord Cutters | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Cord Cutters

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I’m thinking of a combination of high speed internet, a Roku, YouTube Tv, Philos, & Netflix to kill the cable bill. Viewing their channels they’re missing SNY, YES, & NESN. How do I get those?

Reaction Score
We use a Roku, Netflix, Amazon Prime and You Tube TV. We had Sling TV for about two years but You Tube TV has a much better sports package. Also, You Tube TV has local ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX channels so you don't have to buy a separate Over The Air antenna.

Before cutting the cord we were $220+ for cable and internet at our home (I live in Florida and have Cox Cable).

Now, we pay $80 for internet (including all the taxes and fees), $Netflix (Not sure, think it's like $10/mo), Amazon Prime which we already had and $40 for You Tube TV. Save $40-$50 but get the streaming and ability to use any mobile device at any time.

You will want to verify what speeds your internet provider has and if they have any usage overages.

As far as speed and buffering, I bought a new dual channel (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) router for $150 at Christmas. I was looking at some of those $400 home internet networks and salesman told me if the devices are getting a signal but it sometimes buffers those wifi extenders aren't worth it.

It is very common in my home for son to have Xbox and laptop running, daughter having laptop and Roku going, wife on Roku and me using something and we don't have any other problems.

We used to use a Amazon Fire TV stick but I switched over to Roku and find it to be better interfacing.
Sling was bad because if you bought the wrong package, like one for football, you couldn’t get certain basketball games, the difference between Orange and Blue packages. It was very annoying. I’m trying AT&T Now because I was shocked that my one TV with a cable box didn’t let me have ESPNU... if this seems to do the job, I will call Cablevision and truly drop down to just internet. I allegedly have a landline but I’ve never even set up a handset so...
Other than AT&T Now, I also use Netflix and Amazon (but I use Amazon for everything, anyway).

I have a Roku upstairs and an AppleTV downstairs. The Roku is the simplest. AppleTV is cool because it sinks with your phone and plays music through a good sounds system, great for entertaining. I find the remote really finicky, though, and overall it’s the least intuitive of all Apple products.
Roku is great and cheap.

Reaction Score
Just cancelled cable and landline. Subscribed to YouTubeTV, Disney, HBOnow, Netflix. Saving $135/mo.
Though I am preparing to do something similar, I'm afraid that the savings will be short lived as content fees are growing at an alarming rates (subscription fees to these services will increase as a result). At some point I expect the pricing to even out, though I will pocket the saving during the interim.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
We found out over the weekend that Disney+ comes free if you have Verizon unlimited. I would think if you didn't have Verizon unlimited this wouldn't be a reason to up your subscription. But, if you already have Verizon unlimited, take advantage of the Disney stuff. We have the Disney channel app downloaded on all our TV's now.
Downside is it appears if Mrs Diesel gets to the remote first, that TV will have Disney Christmas movies for the whole month of December.

GemParty

Reaction Score
Anybody see any HBO or Showtime deals on Roku? Curb starts again in January. Final Homeland too.

Reaction Score
If you guys really want to go the extra step, I would suggest getting a cable modem + router (or cable modem/wifi) for Cyber Monday. There's quite a few deals around on Amazon. If you haven't noticed, Comcast/Xfinity just raised the prices of renting out the modem.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We found out over the weekend that Disney+ comes free if you have Verizon unlimited. I would think if you didn't have Verizon unlimited this wouldn't be a reason to up your subscription. But, if you already have Verizon unlimited, take advantage of the Disney stuff. We have the Disney channel app downloaded on all our TV's now.
Downside is it appears if Mrs Diesel gets to the remote first, that TV will have Disney Christmas movies for the whole month of December.
Signed up. Disappointed to learn it wasn't bundled with ESPN+. A ton of content though I clicked on one movie only to be told it will be available in 2021. WTH? Why even list it as a option?

The Mandelorian is surprisingly good btw.

Reaction Score
If you guys really want to go the extra step, I would suggest getting a cable modem + router (or cable modem/wifi) for Cyber Monday. There's quite a few deals around on Amazon. If you haven't noticed, Comcast/Xfinity just raised the prices of renting out the modem.

I just bought a better modem to use with Comcast. Updated my old 100mbps to one 7 times better. Owned my own router for past 5 years. Much better deal.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Disney+ is free for Verizon customers for 1 year who have unlimited data. My wife and I got new phones on Black Friday and unlimited data. seems like a no brainer.

Edit: Just signed up for it. Don't require ESPN+, now that UConn will be in the Big East, and we already have Hulu. Will consider getting the Bundle when this deal expires (and if it's still available).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've cut the cord completely. So here's my current setup.

• 2 TV's with Amazon Fire Stick on both (bought them on Black Friday when it was $25)
  • Bought Amazon Fire Recast for local TV and DVR with an antenna ($150 + $50 on black friday) - Alternative is locast.org for a $5 donation a month.
  • I already had Hulu (free through Sprint) and prepaid Disney+ back in November (3 years for $140) and just got the bundle with ESPN+ and I will be charged an extra $3.08 a month for ESPN+
  • Already have Netflix and Amazon.

Cable box gone. Bought myself a router and a new cable modem (both on Black Friday - price matched with Amazon at Best Buy). Comcast raised their cable modem prices to $13 a month.

Hopefully this helps give some ideas for the others on this board.

Last edited:

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
By June, i'll be cut completely. I'm locked into a 2 year DirectTV that expires at the end of May. I have 2 TV with firesticks. I have 2 HDTV antenna. Netflix, Amazon and the Disney Plus package with Hulu and ESPN Plus. I just have to make sure I find a way to get SNY and I'll be OK. Using Comcast for my internet and wifi.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My apples-to-apples cord-cutting summary:

Cox Bundle: $310.94
Cox Internet + YouTubeTV: $137.16
Delta: -$173.78

What we lost: Landline (no loss), BeIN Sports (big loss but not $173 per/mo)
Last night for the first time, there was a one-time buffering on 1 TV while two TV's plus a computer were being used. No other issues. Takes longer to change channels but is shorter to access DVR items.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Anyone have any luck w negotiating Verizon or cable company down in rates?
Cox didn't want to deal, I tried. They have you call a special number to quit and they don't even try to talk you out of it.

Reaction Score
Cox didn't want to deal, I tried. They have you call a special number to quit and they don't even try to talk you out of it.
Yeah cable companies have stopped negotiating because they got you by the curly ones if you have to rely on them for internet. The next big thing in cord cutting will be when the likes of Amazon, google, Tesla and Apple get into that game with their low orbit satelite home internet stuff. Should be out sometime in 2020.

Reaction Score
Yeah cable companies have stopped negotiating because they got you by the curly ones if you have to rely on them for internet. The next big thing in cord cutting will be when the likes of Amazon, google, Tesla and Apple get into that game with their low orbit satelite home internet stuff. Should be out sometime in 2020.

I have Comcast internet for $50 a month for 250mbps. I don't think that's bad. I call every 6 months or so when rates go up and they bring it right back down.

Reaction Score
I cancelled DirecTV this morning. They offered to cut my $193/mo service to $60/mo for a year. I still declined.

This is what I went with:

YouTubeTV with cloud based DVR - $49.99
Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+ $12.99
HBO NOW $14.99
Streaming through a Sony 4K SmartTV, Roku+ stick, an AppleTV 3G.

I just piked up the Roku+ yesterday for the bedroom TV and I have to say it's really slick. Simple interface with all my apps and a voice activated remote that has a headphone jack so I can watch without disturbing my wife.

Reaction Score
I'm a 59 year old baby boomer not technical person. just cut the cord with u-tube tv (easy), netflix and amazon prime. Had about 3 weeks and everything is great (all sports and local channels). only thing missing for my wife is Hallmark channel :)

GemParty

Reaction Score
I'm a 59 year old baby boomer not technical person. just cut the cord with u-tube tv (easy), netflix and amazon prime. Had about 3 weeks and everything is great (all sports and local channels). only thing missing for my wife is Hallmark channel :)

Make her happy add Philos it’s cheap.

Reaction Score
I am not as technical as I should be regarding smart TVs. I have a Sharp Roku TV. I was able to sign-on to Amazon Prime easily but having troubles with HBO. I already have HBO Now and I am trying to connect to this. When I try, it seems to require Roku which I do not have and rather not purchase. Can I connect to HBO Now without Roku? HBO Go seems to be an easy option from my TV but I am not sure about differences between HBO Now and Go other than the fact that I can watch HBO Go on my phone which I no longer need.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom