Copa America Centenario Quarterfinals | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Copa America Centenario Quarterfinals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You think Columbia has an easy time with Peru? Going in to the tournament I would have had that view, and didn't expect Peru to advance, but they have played pretty well haven't they? Columbia meanwhile, struggled after beating us. Barely beating Paraguay and losing to CR.
I do. I think Colombia wins by 2 or more, and it is not even that close (of course, I am wrong A LOT).

Reaction Score
If we can get to the semi's and not get embarrassed by Messi, this tourney will have been a huge success all the way around.

Reaction Score
If we can get to the semi's and not get embarrassed by Messi, this tourney will have been a huge success all the way around.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
So all those levels have goal line technology as well? I ask b/c I genuinely don't know the answer.

I know that was one of the things holding up goal line technology. I genuinely don't know how they resolved it. It wasn't just levels though it was also based on geography. The were concerned about these lesser federations funding the technology. Maybe the Qatari's hooked everyone up.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Mexico-Chile is the premiere game of the 4, no doubt. US-Ecuador should be a battle, and I would put our odds at 50/50. Ecuador will be a more intense team than the one the US faced in the friendly a few weeks ago (just as the US will be a more intense team than what they saw leading in).

Argentina and Colombia should both get thru just fine.

I'd say just the opposite. The US and Mexico can be formidable against most teams. The other 4 squads did almost nothing aside from Costa Ricas win against Colombia, and they made a deep run in '14.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
What are people expecting tonight? What do you want to see? Does Jurgen stick with the same lineup and formation again, minus Yedlin?

I'd like to see a goal from someone other the Dempsey. I really don't want to see another slow start where we look unprepared for an aggressive early attack.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see a goal from someone other the Dempsey. I really don't want to see another slow start where we look unprepared for an aggressive early attack.

Say what you will about Dempsey's age and declining (or lack of) touch, the guy straight up knows how to put the ball in the net.

That's more than you can say about someone like Zardes, who practically wet himself with the ball in front of goal in a critical 2nd half chance against Paraguay.

Some guys have a knack for it and some guys shrink from the moment.

Edit: In Zardes's defense, it was his pace and pass that set up Dempsey for the goal in the first half.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Dempsey's substitution when Yedlin picked up his red was an acknowledgement that Demspey shouldn't leave the penalty area if he can help it.

He and Wood should try interchanging in a stacked formation. CD starting underneath wood to collect stray midfield passes and be an outlet target while Wood pressures the defense and is available for long balls over the top.

Once possession is established in the attacking half, CD should be a beeline for the penalty spot, while Wood works the wing and the edge of the box.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Say what you will about Dempsey's age and declining (or lack of) touch, the guy straight up knows how to put the ball in the net.

That's more than you can say about someone like Zardes, who practically wet himself with the ball in front of goal in a critical 2nd half chance against Paraguay.

Some guys have a knack for it and some guys shrink from the moment.

Edit: In Zardes's defense, it was his pace and pass that set up Dempsey for the goal in the first half.

My comment wasn't a criticism of Dempsey. It was simply reflecting a desire to see some goals come from others. Zardes will air mail his chances into Puget Sound, but if Woods, Jones, Bradley or someone else can connect I would take it as a positive.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
USMNT - 1
East Carolina University - 0

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's great to see JK finally settle on a team and leave them alone. It's nice that everyone who has begged for it has been proven right.

I love Besler - glad he was the call.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Would love to see some footage of what Jones did? Wood with just an absolute idiotic play.

Reaction Score
Tough call, but Jones shouldn't have gotten in the players face. He never touched him though.
Wood is out for Argentina (assuming the US advances).
Pulisic and Nagbes pace off the bench could pose problems for Ecuador, but I'm guessing JK goes defensive with first sub.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Tough call, but Jones shouldn't have gotten in the players face. He never touched him though.
Wood is out for Argentina (assuming the US advances).
Pulisic and Nagbes pace off the bench could pose problems for Ecuador, but I'm guessing JK goes defensive with first sub.

Wood got kicked in the face and it's yellow? Jones 'gets in someone's face? for red.

Should be home now - but going to be awfully shorthanded for the semi.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Ouch.....

Games not over yet....

we advance though and we have now lost Wood, Jones, and Bedoya?? yeah good luck!

Reaction Score
WTF, can you take a timeout in soccer? They need to pull their together.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I will never understand the JK love for Zusi.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
This is not looking good.....Ecuador is throwing everything they got and the US looks exhausted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yeiiowing

Top Bottom