Copa America Centenario Quarterfinals | The Boneyard

Copa America Centenario Quarterfinals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The only thing for certain at this moment for the US is that it is playing in Seattle on Thursday. Which seems dumb because the QF game for the second place team is on Friday. The other thing that I found odd was that both Group A matches weren't played simultaneously. This tournament obviously is being run for TV ratings, which I get, but it's still awkward.

U.S. wins Copa America Centenario group, heads to quarterfinals in Seattle

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Do all the yellow cards get reset for this round or do they carry over?? We have a lot of guys close to being disqualified for the next match should they pick up another yellow. Would be nice to clean the slate so if we somehow advance, we don't lose anyone else. That Paraguay match was brutal with cards. 9 in all and 6 for us (2 being Yedlin's)

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Yellow card accumulation
If a player receives two yellow cards in two separate matches through group games or the quarterfinals, they will be suspended for the following game. Yellow card accumulation will be reset after the quarterfinals and cards from the first two rounds will not carry over into the semifinals or the final.

There are 4 US starters not carrying a card or suspended, Guzan, Cameron, Zardes, Dempsey. Yedlin is obviously out.

Reaction Score
Won the group... Nice
Most likely avoid Brazil in QF's....Nice
Most likely a rematch of a recent friendly draw v Ecuador in Seattle, winnable game...Nice
IF US gets to SF's there is most likely a dare in Houston v Argentina... Gulp...Nice

I was out last night, so didn't get to watch the game, were Yedlin's YC's legit calls, and were they 'good fouls' on his part? That's a big loss for the QF.

Reaction Score
Won the group... Nice
Most likely avoid Brazil in QF's....Nice
Most likely a rematch of a recent friendly draw v Ecuador in Seattle, winnable game...Nice
IF US gets to SF's there is most likely a dare in Houston v Argentina... Gulp...Nice

I was out last night, so didn't get to watch the game, were Yedlin's YC's legit calls, and were they 'good fouls' on his part? That's a big loss for the QF.

They were legit. Yedlin was truly a dumbs@ss on the second one. That kid is a box of rocks sometimes.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They were legit. Yedlin was truly a dumbs@ss on the second one. That kid is a box of rocks sometimes.

As a Yedlin supporter - he has been brutal.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Anyone catch this gem from Abby Wambach? Referrring to Wales who they were saying was going to pull all stops to set-up Bale she says." It's not very often when you can get a bunch of men to support another man." Talk about giving yourself away.

Reaction Score
Anyone catch this gem from Abby Wambach? Referrring to Wales who they were saying was going to pull all stops to set-up Bale she says." It's not very often when you can get a bunch of men to support another man." Talk about giving yourself away.

Isn't she an Uber driver these days?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I thought the first call could have gone either way but the second yellow was a clear foul and card. I have no idea what was going through his mind when he committed that second foul only a few seconds after his first.....

My big concern is Brooks. If we pull off a win in the Quarterfinals, I fear he might pull his second yellow in the game. He plays rough and a lot of times seems to not be able to keep his emotions in check at times. I thought he was certain to pull his second yellow last night and be suspended for the quarterfinals.

Reaction Score
Given the choice of the 4 backs to sit Thursday I'd pick Yedlin. Tough loss, but it's not worst case scenario.

I thought it was strange the card accumulations don't reset after the group stage.

Reaction Score
Given the choice of the 4 backs to sit Thursday I'd pick Yedlin. Tough loss, but it's not worst case scenario.

I thought it was strange the card accumulations don't reset after the group stage.

Having Yedlin out will limit our speed on that right side, but I assume Orozco will start giving the US a more experienced and sound back line.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'm not really worried about Brooks getting another card. His card, and Johnson's for that matter were a direct result of horrible midfield play against Colombia. If the midfield plays well, the back 4 should be fine. You can count on one of the midfielders getting a card though, maybe even Wood if he loses his head.

Ideally, we are up 2 at the half then JK can sub in Beckerman (did I just say that?) for Bradley, and maybe Nagbe for Jones.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I thought the first call could have gone either way but the second yellow was a clear foul and card. I have no idea what was going through his mind when he committed that second foul only a few seconds after his first.....

My big concern is Brooks. If we pull off a win in the Quarterfinals, I fear he might pull his second yellow in the game. He plays rough and a lot of times seems to not be able to keep his emotions in check at times. I thought he was certain to pull his second yellow last night and be suspended for the quarterfinals.

Cards reset after quarters

Reaction Score
It's officially Ecuador in the QF's. No matter what happens in Brazil-Peru, one of those two will win the group.

Reaction Score
Is Neymar not available for Brazil?
No. Barca would only release him for one international tournament, so he chose the Olympics in his home country.

Reaction Score
No. Barca would only release him for one international tournament, so he chose the Olympics in his home country.
Chose the Olympics? Or, chosen for Neymar? I thought I read the Brazilian federation encouraged or directed Neymar to play in the Rio Olympics. Plus, Neymar gets to pal around with Justin Bieber ... which says something about judgement of people. :rolleyes:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Have to give the refs credit in this Brazil/Peru game. Held off on calling a half dozen weak penalties.

Reaction Score
Have to give the refs credit in this Brazil/Peru game. Held off on calling a half dozen weak penalties.
Yes, with one clear exception being the trip in Brazil's box which should have been a Peruvian PK. 1/2 time replay helped!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes, with one clear exception being the trip in Brazil's box which should have been a Peruvian PK. 1/2 time replay helped!

Well after letting three guys get shouldered to the ground in the first ten minutes in the box...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That might be the biggest circus that led to a horrific call in history. Just ridiculously bad officiating. Lost total control.

Reaction Score
That might be the biggest circus that led to a horrific call in history. Just ridiculously bad officiating. Lost total control.

Every major sport uses video replay, time soccer does is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69