Copa America Centenario Quarterfinals | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Copa America Centenario Quarterfinals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
MexiLOL

I love when that happens. I will also love it when they have to play qualifying games in front of empty stadiums. They make Eagles fans seem classy.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It doesn't exist. They aren't competing for the same spot. They aren't like for like.

Bradley is going to be the pivot. Beckerman would imply a double pivot.

Putting in Beckerman would put Bradley in the box to box role. And frankly Bradley has been a little better than putrid.

Even if it is a 4-4-2, it won't be an empty bucket. It will be a diamond with Nagbe in the hole or on the outside.

Bradley was full on putrid against Ecuador. So many bad decisions and give aways. His willingness to go forward, hell to even pass forward to open teammates, is at an all time low. He cannot be the attacking central midfielder. I don't know what happened to him, but he was the worst player on our team twice in these four games.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Have to agree, plus Pulisic is only 17. Could you imagine lining up across from the greatest player on the planet at 17??

Why not? Messi did it at 17.

Pulisic is a starter in the German first division. He plays against better competition than most of his teammates.

Reaction Score
Bradley was full on putrid against Ecuador. So many bad decisions and give aways. His willingness to go forward, hell to even pass forward to open teammates, is at an all time low. He cannot be the attacking central midfielder. I don't know what happened to him, but he was the worst player on our team twice in these four games.

MLS happened to him. Whereas Dempsey seems benefit from not working hard in between international stints.

Clint Dempsey is 5 away from catching Donovan in goals with something like 25 less caps.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The lack of a google monkey doesn't negate the burden of proof:)

It's called trying to get the best 11 players in every lineup.

I know this is difficult for people to understand, but in international soccer players often play different positions.

I was just watching Croatia and Rakitic was playing striker. He plays a different position for Barcelona got sure. If people would bother to look, they would see that this sort of thing is common..

Also, I don't care what happens in friendlies. They don't matter.

This sums up a lot of what I think pretty well.

A lot like Diaco in some ways - once he stopped trying to reinvent the wheel things went a lot better.

The USMNT have finally regained their identity

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
MLS happened to him. Whereas Dempsey seems benefit from not working hard in between international stints.

Clint Dempsey is 5 away from catching Donovan in goals with something like 25 less caps.

Yup, Bradley was too young to leave Europe and not have his game continue to improve by going to MLS. His role isn't the same though. by letting Jones play forward his responsibilies in the attack are a lot less. His giveaways have been terrible no doubt but, he is a big part of the success of the defense and when he has time his passing has been important.

I also agree that Pulisic isn't going to be big timed by playing Argentina. I think he is less likely to be affected than say Zardes or Zusi.

This game will need to be a replay of the 2009 Confederations semifinal. They will need to defend their balls off and hope to get one or two on the counter. Messi playing balls from the midfield is going to be a horror show for the US. We've been good in close defending, not so good when the opponent has space. I'd almost want to see JK put a spy on him,but that's not something you see in soccer. Good news is that Argentina has show a tendency to get caught forward. The US will get enough chances to win,but they will need to convert them and defend their balls off.

Reaction Score
Why not? Messi did it at 17.

Pulisic is a starter in the German first division. He plays against better competition than most of his teammates.

No doubt he plays against some great talent in Germany, don't know his mental fortitude, he may be begging JK to start. This would easily be the biggest game he has probably ever played in to date.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
To me it's house money on Tuesday. I'd rather take the high risk potential high reward route. I wish they had taken Morris too.

Reaction Score
To me it's house money on Tuesday. I'd rather take the high risk potential high reward route. I wish they had taken Morris too.

They have to take an attacking mentality into this one.

Reaction Score

I'll be happy if the US makes Argentina work for it. But Alexi Lalas will probably still bitch.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If my options are between the following losses:
a) 2014 Belgium-like could have been,
b) 2009 Brazil-they were clearly the better team,
c) 2016 Columbia-wtf are we doing out there,
d) 2016 What just happened to Mexico?

I'll take either A or B if a win isn't in the cards. I would accept a PK loss as a win assumed I'm satisfied with who the goat that missed the PK is and they don't try the same chip as that guy from Venezuela. :cool:

My brain tells me 3-1 Arg. Hoping for 2-1 US.

Reaction Score
If we lose, and someone other than Messi beats us, will have been a good game.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Good news is that Argentina has show a tendency to get caught forward. The US will get enough chances to win,but they will need to convert them and defend their balls off.
This is why losing Wood hurts that much more. Wood was getting behind defenders all game against Ecuador and has shown the ability to do so in the group stage. I'm not sure we have another forward capable of doing that. I think our counter attack is going to suffer this match because of losing Wood.

Reaction Score
If my options are between the following losses:
a) 2014 Belgium-like could have been,
b) 2009 Brazil-they were clearly the better team,
c) 2016 Columbia-wtf are we doing out there,
d) 2016 What just happened to Mexico?

I'll take either A or B if a win isn't in the cards. I would accept a PK loss as a win assumed I'm satisfied with who the goat that missed the PK is and they don't try the same chip as that guy from Venezuela. :cool:

My brain tells me 3-1 Arg. Hoping for 2-1 US.

I was thinking 3-1.

I'm just glad that we get 2 more games. It will be good for the team to play together a little more for when qualifying resumes.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
This sums up a lot of what I think pretty well.

A lot like Diaco in some ways - once he stopped trying to reinvent the wheel things went a lot better.

Maybe it is ironic, but I give credit to Costa Rica. They came out attacking aggressively with 7-8 men forward, and forced us to run a counter game...leading to a 4-0 win. After the disastrous attempted possession game against Columbia, I think JK saw the light.

Reaction Score
I'm just glad that we get 2 more games. It will be good for the team to play together a little more for when qualifying resumes.
I totally forgot about the 3rd place game. Beating Ecuador not only got the US to the semi's, but ensures that 6th game. In a span of 5 days the US will have played the #1 and the #3 or #5 team in the world. We may or may not get it handed to us, but a HUGE experience/development opportunity. If we are in the 3rd place game (and let's be honest... there is a 90% or greater chance we will be in the 3rd place game, I hope we see the young guys getting meaningful minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom