Copa America Centenario Quarterfinals | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Copa America Centenario Quarterfinals

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Every major sport uses video replay, time soccer does is

I'm pretty sure the assistant even had the call and he talked him out of it.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure the assistant even had the call and he talked him out of it.

That happened so quick, it would be really hard for the AR to see that clearly.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That happened so quick, it would be really hard for the AR to see that clearly.

I'm just going off the discussion - maybe the players started it - it seemed in real time like the assistant had the call. Otherwise I can't see why they debated so long. If he didn't have it why did it take four minutes?

Reaction Score
I'm just going off the discussion - maybe the players started it - it seemed in real time like the assistant had the call. Otherwise I can't see why they debated so long. If he didn't have it why did it take four minutes?
And, who were the ref and assistant speaking with it that they couldn't push the players away and speak directly with each other?

Reaction Score

Not sure, but regardless of how long it took you want the correct call.

Reaction Score
And, who were the ref and assistant speaking with it that they couldn't push the players away and speak directly with each other?

That is really bothersome that the ref's can't go to a neutral zone and converse.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
These postgames are always amazing. They seem to be headed towards a conversation other than Brazil was robbed.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That is really bothersome that the ref's can't go to a neutral zone and converse.

Go over the sideline and say if you cross it's a yellow. Fairly simple to solve.

Reaction Score
These postgames are always amazing. They seem to be headed towards a conversation other than Brazil was robbed.

Y
Go over the sideline and say if you cross it's a yellow. Fairly simple to solve.

yes, that's a good point, that is exactly what the center should have done.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Watching the replays - you are right Jaker the AR didn't have it.

It was their reaction that started the conversation and they just wanted someone to say they saw it.

Reaction Score
At the end of the day, we don't need to worry about playing Brazil! Copa America!!

Reaction Score
Soccer needs replay on all goals. It takes less than the time to restart play anyways. Baseball looks at HR's, NFL reviews every TD, I believe NHL reviews every goal, NBA reviews shots at buzzers and 3 v 2 pt shots... It is easy to do and simply just needs to happen.

That just cost the Brazil manager his job (may have happened anyways, short of making the finals). They've been soft in CONMEBOL WCQ, and if not for playing Haiti may not have won a game in Copa.

Colombia fans are happy.

Reaction Score
It is easy to do and simply just needs to happen.
Hah, what is easy with FIFA? No brainer for the typical observer, but for FIFA?

So for the Peruvian Maradona, post-game review red card? Works well with top leagues, but then CONMEBOL and FIFA would need to admit their ref screwed Brazil ... setting aside the 1st half trip in Brazil's box.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Cards reset after quarters
I saw that but if he gets a yellow in the game against Ecuador is he out in the next game even though cards reset?

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
At the end of the day, we don't need to worry about playing Brazil! Copa America!!
I'm not sure. Out of Peru, Ecuador, and Brazil, it seemed Brail was the weakest of the bunch. I know Brazil is Brazil but they seemed to lack any cohesion at all this tournament. I think we have it the hardest by playing Ecuador. I'd rather have come in second and played Peru. However, they have seemed pretty dangerous this tournament as well.

Reaction Score
I had to watch the replay from three or four different angles in slow motion before it was obvious that it was a handball. I can forgive the officials for this one, but replay would have helped on this, and would have taken less time.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Here is the lame argument against replay from FIFA. They do not want to implement technology unless they can do it at all levels.

It's dumb to think that a major international tournament or the EPL are the same as a third division semi-private league in Asia, but that is there stance. They want the game to be the game worldwide.

Agree or disagree that is their position.

Reaction Score
Here is the lame argument against replay from FIFA. They do not want to implement technology unless they can do it at all levels.

It's dumb to think that a major international tournament or the EPL are the same as a third division semi-private league in Asia, but that is there stance. They want the game to be the game worldwide.

So all those levels have goal line technology as well? I ask b/c I genuinely don't know the answer.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score

That's pretty ridiculous. It's like the NCAA saying they won't use instant replay in football because D-2 and D-3 schools don't have it. For all I know they might but I highly doubt it.

Reaction Score
So the Copa QF's are set and the pairings are: (with most recent FIFA World Ranking ... I know, I know, their rankings are snow).

#31 USA v. #13 Ecuador
#1 Argentina v. #77 Venezuela

#16 Mexico v. #5 Chile
#48 Peru v. #3 Colombia

I'm calling a US-Argentina and Chile-Colombia semi final

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'll add one general comment. I think CONCACAF, usually an afterthought to our neighbors in South America, has performed beyond expectations. It's been a good showing so far. I think the U.S. certainly should be able to take out Ecuador to continue it. Mexico vs. Chile is a big one.

Reaction Score
Mexico-Chile is the premiere game of the 4, no doubt. US-Ecuador should be a battle, and I would put our odds at 50/50. Ecuador will be a more intense team than the one the US faced in the friendly a few weeks ago (just as the US will be a more intense team than what they saw leading in).

Argentina and Colombia should both get thru just fine.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Mexico-Chile is the premiere game of the 4, no doubt. US-Ecuador should be a battle, and I would put our odds at 50/50. Ecuador will be a more intense team than the one the US faced in the friendly a few weeks ago (just as the US will be a more intense team than what they saw leading in).

Argentina and Colombia should both get thru just fine.

You think Columbia has an easy time with Peru? Going in to the tournament I would have had that view, and didn't expect Peru to advance, but they have played pretty well haven't they? Columbia meanwhile, struggled after beating us. Barely beating Paraguay and losing to CR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom