2025 Recruiting: - Cooper Flagg | Page 23 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Cooper Flagg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Played against Corny his junior year in high school (we scrimmaged them at Maloney). He along with Al Marshall, Charlie Muckle and the little PG were really damn good. Cornys fundamentals were good early, posted up like a man and finished so strong. As a team they were so damn fast it was incredible to see, not so much when you were guarding them.

You do realize that his final 4 were the Huskies, UNC, Virginia and Princeton? And there’s a chance he would have gone Ivy if they gave scholarships.

Wish Calhoun was his coach his career at UConn and the NBA would’ve been even better I believe.
Oh, and that little point guard was a fella by the name of Ricky Privott.

Reaction Score
Oh, and that little point guard was a fella by the name of Ricky Privott.

Yeah it was thanks. He was a blur, both ends!

By the way Al Marshall was an all state sprinter as well if my memory serves me correctly. Fastest kid in the state I believe.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Castle wasn't in that position when he committed. He was in the 20 range.

I am not trying to give Hurley any credit here, I am pointed out that Hurley would take a players if he felt he would be a one-and-done (as opposed to Slick's comment that Hurley would not bring in Flagg if Flagg didn't intend to stay multiple years - Castle does not intend to stay multiple years).
I truly don't know anything about what DH said to Castle, but the commitment definitely came before perception and suggestion of Castle as one-and-done was widespread. In that sense, I appreciate the plausibility of your narrative, and that you stayed focused here in maintaining your argument and reiterating your purpose in making it.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
This feels too much like Precious Achiuwa, where there’s tons of smoke and coincidences but no real hard reporting that the player is interested. Remaining hopeful but not counting on it.
Duke’s own insider has said that Flagg is very likely to visit here before making a decision actually.

We’re firmly in the top 2 in this recruitment from all accounts and should get a visit.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Be nice.

zoom in patrick swayze GIF
Until it's time not to be nice.
Roadhouse Roundhouse Kick GIF by MetzgerBrenner

Reaction Score
Duke the heavy favorite…but I honestly think we have as good a shot as anyone not named Duke. If location is a factor at all, I like our chances.
Being as objective as possible. UConn is the most logical and yes, safe choice for CF. He will be coached the hottest coach/staff in CB, a supporting group of players that will allow him to shine while playing in arguably the best college conference in the country.

Sold out venues, national coverage… Practice sessions with Calhoun, maybe Ray Allen and other NBAers past/present.

All while playing close to home where his friends and family can come watch…

We check all the boxes. Duke might too but I think we edge them out, not by a lot but just enough.

Going to UConn is just such a logical choice for this kid, and again a safe bet for hIm to achieve his full potential as a college player.

Reaction Score
Castle wasn't in that position when he committed. He was in the 20 range.

I am not trying to give Hurley any credit here, I am pointed out that Hurley would take a players if he felt he would be a one-and-done (as opposed to Slick's comment that Hurley would not bring in Flagg if Flagg didn't intend to stay multiple years - Castle does not intend to stay multiple years).
We're both arguably right. I missed you were talking about Nov 2021 when Castle committed. My response is related to May of 2023 as he enters UConn he is high on mock nba 2024 draft boards. I'm saying Hurley can't really take full credit for turning a guy into a 1 and done first rounder when observers think he is in that position before being coached by Hurley. There were reviews like popscout in Dec 2021 that postulated he was NBA ready so Hurley wasn't alone, but I'm sure its reasonable to say that wasn't a dominate opinion in 2021.

As an aside, Castle's uncle is Brandon Newton, Castle played for Newton, and now Castle is playing alongside Newton. Another in a long line of things that mean nothing, (unless there is some connection between Castle's uncle and Tristen's family).

Reaction Score
We're both arguably right. I missed you were talking about Nov 2021 when Castle committed. My response is related to May of 2023 as he enters UConn he is high on mock nba 2024 draft boards. I'm saying Hurley can't really take full credit for turning a guy into a 1 and done first rounder when observers think he is in that position before being coached by Hurley. There were reviews like popscout in Dec 2021 that postulated he was NBA ready so Hurley wasn't alone, but I'm sure its reasonable to say that wasn't a dominate opinion in 2021.

As an aside, Castle's uncle is Brandon Newton, Castle played for Newton, and now Castle is playing alongside Newton. Another in a long line of things that mean nothing, (unless there is some connection between Castle's uncle and Tristen's family).
You're missing the point entirely. Nobody is saying Hurley is taking credit for turning Castle into a one and done if that happens. The point is that he thought Castle was one and done and still chose to recruit him

Reaction Score
Being as objective as possible. UConn is the most logical and yes, safe choice for CF. He will be coached the hottest coach/staff in CB, a supporting group of players that will allow him to shine while playing in arguably the best college conference in the country.

Sold out venues, national coverage… Practice sessions with Calhoun, maybe Ray Allen and other NBAers past/present.

All while playing close to home where his friends and family can come watch…

We check all the boxes. Duke might too but I think we edge them out, not by a lot but just enough.

Going to UConn is just such a logical choice for this kid, and again a safe bet for hIm to achieve his full potential as a college player.
I love our coaching staff as much as the next guy, but the difference to CF of going to Duke or UConn on his basketball future is probably slim enough to thread through a needle.

Reaction Score

I mean none of Booker, Alexander, Fox or Maxey looked anything like the players they are now while under Cal. I mean going to college for one year helps yeah, but it's only on to the inevitable for players like this All of these names actually got much better once they were coached for a couple of years or more on the next level. It's that and just maturity.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
This feels too much like Precious Achiuwa, where there’s tons of smoke and coincidences but no real hard reporting that the player is interested. Remaining hopeful but not counting on it.

I'm also not expecting a positive result, but I think if Duke was a done deal it'd be a done deal.

His mom sure seems quick to shut down premature or false rumors, so it does seem he's interested in visiting Storrs.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I love our coaching staff as much as the next guy, but the difference to CF of going to Duke or UConn on his basketball future is probably slim enough to thread through a needle.
Maybe. But look at the offense Hurley is coaching. I didn't watch a second of Duke this past season, is Scheyer even in the same ballpark?

Reaction Score
Agreed, but nonetheless, Corny and Mike made a huge difference, Perno’s team went from 11-15 the prior year, to 21-8 their freshman year. McKay was recruited by some highly regarded programs. IIRC Al McGuire was somehow involved in his recruitment to some other schools. Heard that scuttlebut years ago.
Perno was the freshman coach at South Catholic high and we were terrible, the following year we moved up to JV and Gary Palladino ( future Uof Hartford coach) inherited the same team and virtually reversed the record playing in the old HCC. Perno was a terrible coach. ( he got a lot of acclaim from that NCAA game against Princeton and Bill Bradley ). Good player nice guy bad coach. They should’ve hired Joe Riley, I never understood that hire. I never made it to varsity at South because i developed asthma and my playing days were over ( joined school band to stay involved with sports).

Reaction Score
Maybe. But look at the offense Hurley is coaching. I didn't watch a second of Duke this past season, is Scheyer even in the same ballpark?

Both teams are running pro sets, basically. Hurley was able to run a lot more last year (and many more wrinkles within each base) because of the vets with high BBIQ on our team. The difference IMO is that Hurley has proven he can develop talent and pick the right stuff for his talent to run a pro offense and Scheyer hasn't. Doesn't mean he can't... but being gifted one-and-dones who are so talented they can win 20 games sleepwalking isn't coaching.

Reaction Score
I wish I could say more, but I just can’t.

Danny (which is what we like to call him) is going to recruit this kid & expecting him to be a 1 & done.

Again, can’t say how I know this. But trust…

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
We're both arguably right. I missed you were talking about Nov 2021 when Castle committed... I'm sure its reasonable to say that wasn't a dominate opinion in 2021.
I have great appreciation for somebody admitting what they missed, in this case the November 2021 mismatch of contexts. It's not common to read such an acknowledgement. I'd say it adds up to you not being inarguably wrong more so than being arguably right, but it's no big deal.

Also, I offer a picky but accurate correction on something I've now seen 2 or 3 times this summer. "Dominate" is a verb, whereas "dominant" is an adjective and more likely the word you had in mind. Again, neither a complaint nor an upset, just a desire to be helpful to writers and readers.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Both teams are running pro sets, basically. Hurley was able to run a lot more last year (and many more wrinkles within each base) because of the vets with high BBIQ on our team.
That one guy has been doing it for years while the other has been doing it for one year is meaningless?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
That’s the kinda video that will reach Flagg. Wonder if something will come of it? They could literally just pay him for podcast appearances if he picks UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom