2025 Recruiting: - Cooper Flagg | Page 22 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Cooper Flagg

Status
Not open for further replies.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I guess you don’t believe “coaching is everything”. Do you think Corny might have done a little better post UConn if he had played for Jim Calhoun? Thanks for the stupid attack.
Huh. I said he would have been better off playing for. Dean Smith. Talk about a stupid attack. You talked about Duke failures as if that related to Corny Thompso picking UConn instead OF UNC. Have a nuce day.
It was between UConn, UNC and UVa. If he chooses UVa, he becomes the power forward that Ralph Sampson never had. Instead he came to UConn and got us into the Big East.
as i said, from the perspective of Corny’s developnent as a player and pro potential, he probably would have been better off at UNC. The unknowable. That’s all i said. Has zero to do with his impact on UConn. And we were Big East doormats for a while.

Reaction Score
I wish I could say more but unfortunately I can't. The one thing I can say is if he tells Coach Hurley he is coming in for one year only its not happening.
4PSEQpvV5wUpnmpP1l.gif

Reaction Score
I wish I could say more but unfortunately I can't. The one thing I can say is if he tells Coach Hurley he is coming in for one year only its not happening.

If he says “Coach Hurley I want to come play for you but it’s going to be just one year” you honestly think Danny says “Thanks but no thanks Cooper”? You’re only kidding right?

Reaction Score
IIRC Castle stated that he chose UConn because the message was that they felt with the right development he would be a one-and-done. Everyone else felt he was going to be a two- or three-year player.

Reaction Score
If Cooper is more interested in refining his skills and being in a program with a strong culture, he will go to UConn. He loses out on some of the hype factor here, and may drop a couple picks in the draft because of it. Again, whether that's fair or not does not matter. It is what it is.

I think there's a much better argument that this is not, in fact, what it is. He could go to the University of Maine and still be a one year player and the first overall pick. The idea that he would be sacrificing the "hype factor" by going to UConn and would thus fall "a couple picks" in the draft is nuts.

Reaction Score
I think he will make an official visit to uconn. However, Hurley prides himself on player development and not sure he is going to be interested in a player who is definitely one and done.
Flagg was a definite one and done when he was playing this past summer and Hurley and staff were three deep at his Peach Jam games. So they're obviously interested.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I wish I had a dollar for every kid that kind of plateaued in his development after going to Dook, and was washed up in the NBA. The list is a long one.
The day after somebody oddly brought up but wisely declined to bet his life on something like a 7 out of 10 coin toss, you appear to wishing for something in the $100-200 range.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It was between UConn, UNC and UVa. If he chooses UVa, he becomes the power forward that Ralph Sampson never had. Instead he came to UConn and got us into the Big East.
He did have 5 finalists with UVA among them, but his final two were Uconn and UNC.

Reaction Score
IIRC Castle stated that he chose UConn because the message was that they felt with the right development he would be a one-and-done. Everyone else felt he was going to be a two- or three-year player.
Castle is in the top 10 in mock drafts and has been before he set foot on campus. Giving Hurley credit for making him a one and done would be like giving Calipari credit for turning his 5 star recruits into draft picks. Maybe things play out and he stays a second year, but I don't recall anybody touting him as needing 2-3 yrs.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Yeah but how many of them would still be in the nba if they went to any other college
Probably. But it might be the difference between being a Jayson Tatum and a Harrison Barnes or Xavier Henry.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
This feels too much like Precious Achiuwa, where there’s tons of smoke and coincidences but no real hard reporting that the player is interested. Remaining hopeful but not counting on it.

Reaction Score
Castle is in the top 10 in mock drafts and has been before he set foot on campus. Giving Hurley credit for making him a one and done would be like giving Calipari credit for turning his 5 star recruits into draft picks. Maybe things play out and he stays a second year, but I don't recall anybody touting him as needing 2-3 yrs.
Castle wasn't in that position when he committed. He was in the 20 range.

I am not trying to give Hurley any credit here, I am pointed out that Hurley would take a players if he felt he would be a one-and-done (as opposed to Slick's comment that Hurley would not bring in Flagg if Flagg didn't intend to stay multiple years - Castle does not intend to stay multiple years).

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
This feels too much like Precious Achiuwa, where there’s tons of smoke and coincidences but no real hard reporting that the player is interested. Remaining hopeful but not counting on it.
Why did you make him your profile picture if you don’t think he’s coming here?

Reaction Score
Played against Corny his junior year in high school (we scrimmaged them at Maloney). He along with Al Marshall, Charlie Muckle and the little PG were really damn good. Cornys fundamentals were good early, posted up like a man and finished so strong. As a team they were so damn fast it was incredible to see, not so much when you were guarding them.

You do realize that his final 4 were the Huskies, UNC, Virginia and Princeton? And there’s a chance he would have gone Ivy if they gave scholarships.

Wish Calhoun was his coach his career at UConn and the NBA would’ve been even better I believe.
That Middletown Tigers team was a juggernaut - they set the Connecticut High School record for consecutive wins with 80 (!!!). I played a pickup game with Al Marshall back in the day - that kid was a high flier. Corny referee’d one of my 3-on-3 Hoop-It-Up games in downtown Hartford in the 90’s, and you better believe he swallowed that whistle - one of the most physical games I ever played.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom