2025 Recruiting: - Cooper Flagg | Page 20 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Cooper Flagg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Evidently the Cooper Flagg thread is the place to walk back down memory lane with Corny et al. Our recruits, Mike McKay, Corny, Clay Johnson, (Jim?) Sullivan, played an all star game in New Haven vs Mark Aguire, Scooter McRae (or his brother or both), with Tommy Heinson coaching. I think Garris played with CT as well. Keep in mind there are 2-3 games from that era on tcf's stuff that they converted from my old beta tapes. (Pitino coaching BC & Ewing as a frosh) Dave Smith & Dee Rowe doing the games if I recall.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Saw Corny and Mike play against a great NYC kids team at the Bridgeport JCC School Boy Classic. It was a tough contest but Corny eventually took the game over and the Connecticut kids pulled out a victory. That tiny gym was jammed. Dean Smith, Dave Gavitt, Dom Perno, Rollie Massimino, Boeheim, were all there.

Played against Corny his junior year in high school (we scrimmaged them at Maloney). He along with Al Marshall, Charlie Muckle and the little PG were really damn good. Cornys fundamentals were good early, posted up like a man and finished so strong. As a team they were so damn fast it was incredible to see, not so much when you were guarding them.

You do realize that his final 4 were the Huskies, UNC, Virginia and Princeton? And there’s a chance he would have gone Ivy if they gave scholarships.

Wish Calhoun was his coach his career at UConn and the NBA would’ve been even better I believe.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Played against Corny his junior year in high school (we scrimmaged them at Maloney). He along with Al Marshall, Charlie Muckle and the little PG were really damn good. Cornys fundamentals were good early, posted up like a man and finished so strong. As a team they were so damn fast it was incredible to see, not so much when you were guarding them.

You do realize that his final 4 were the Huskies, UNC, Virginia and Princeton? And there’s a chance he would have gone Ivy if they gave scholarships.

Wish Calhoun was his coach his career at UConn and the NBA would’ve been even better I believe.
I loved that Corny went to UConn, but in hindsiight he probably would have served himself better at UNC. and Dean Smith. He was always very good but kind of plateaued to where Mark Aguirre became the noticeably better offensive player in that class. Corny was a great outlet passer. Cooper Flagg would probably would serve himself better under Hurley.

Reaction Score
There’s an article something like “Duke reacts to Cooper Flag’s Big News” (reclassification”). Mention of UCONN but no one seriously expects him to come here. For those of us who dislike Dook it would be sweet but also cause ulcers for their fan base.

Reaction Score
I loved that Corny went to UConn, but in hindsiight he probably would have served himself better at UNC. and Dean Smith. He was always very good but kind of plateaued to where Mark Aguirre became the noticeably better offensive player in that class. Corny was a great outlet passer. Cooper Flagg would probably would serve himself better under Hurley.
I wish I had a dollar for every kid that kind of plateaued in his development after going to Dook, and was washed up in the NBA. The list is a long one.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Corny was great, without question and I hold him in higher esteem than many as he and I were in the same class. Basically everyone had Mark Aguirre as the top recruit. Landon Turner (won a national title at Indiana) was the only one who was considered by anyone as being ahead of Aguirre (sadly his career ended in a car accident while still at Indiana).

1978 McDonalds All American
[Insert semi-obligatory "what if Calhoun coached Corny, McKay and Aleksinas?" comment.]

Edit-I see @mauconnfan beat me to it.:D

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There’s an article something like “Duke reacts to Cooper Flag’s Big News” (reclassification”). Mention of UCONN but no one seriously expects him to come here. For those of us who dislike Dook it would be sweet but also cause ulcers for their fan base.
True. That fan base has a semi hate/respect relationship with us. We've taken away a couple of championships from them. UNC fans like us for that and taking them away from Kentucky.

Reaction Score

Yeah, knew that, but it ultimately came down to UNC and UConn. The kid was also approached by boosters from schools outside (common in those days) of Connecticut and unlike some other highly recruited in state CT players he turned down the cash. Heard that from highly reliable sources. One thing I noticed about Corny’s game before he committed to UConn was how well he used the glass when 4 or 5 feet away, and he had a great little leaning in jumper that was automatic.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
[Insert semi-obligatory "what if Calhoun coached Corny, McKay and Aleksinas?" comment.]

Edit-I see @mauconnfan beat me to it.:D
I've mentioned this for decades. Corny would have been an AA and a top 15 pick if his college career was under Calhoun. I also fully believe that both McKay and Aleksinas would have been 20lbs lighter in their senior years (lighter throughout their time at UConn) and much better players. That frontline would have ended up reaching it's full potential and turned out better than we were hoping for when we first heard Aleksinas was coming here from Kentucky.

Reaction Score
Dan/his staff prioritize targets extremely well and utilize their precious time accordingly.. If they think they can get CF on-campus for an OV and are getting indications that it's possible.. Great.. Until then.. Duke is gonna be trying to control the narrative.

Reaction Score
I've mentioned this for decades. Corny would have been an AA and a top 15 pick if his college career was under Calhoun. I also fully believe that both McKay and Aleksinas would have been 20lbs lighter in their senior years (lighter throughout their time at UConn) and much better players. That frontline would have ended up reaching it's full potential and turned out better than we were hoping for when we first heard Aleksinas was coming here from Kentucky.

Crazy thing is Cornys best year was his freshman year in all reality. Once he had more coaching at Storrs he unfortunately didn’t improve all that much which is crazy. JC would’ve had him quicker, stronger and in shape while getting better throughout his career. Almost ashame.

Ok back to Cooper Flagg….he’d be a great Husky lol

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I wish I had a dollar for every kid that kind of plateaued in his development after going to Dook, and was washed up in the NBA. The list is a long one.
What does that have to do with Corny Thompson? I think he fell the Round 3 after coming out of hs as the cream of the crop.

Reaction Score
Crazy thing is Cornys best year was his freshman year in all reality. Once he had more coaching at Storrs he unfortunately didn’t improve all that much which is crazy. JC would’ve had him quicker, stronger and in shape while getting better throughout his career. Almost ashame.

Ok back to Cooper Flagg….he’d be a great Husky lol
Agreed, but nonetheless, Corny and Mike made a huge difference, Perno’s team went from 11-15 the prior year, to 21-8 their freshman year. McKay was recruited by some highly regarded programs. IIRC Al McGuire was somehow involved in his recruitment to some other schools. Heard that scuttlebut years ago.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Duke has the 2nd best collection of talent in the NBA after Kentucky. Probably not the best program to go after for player development.

Reaction Score
Duke has the 2nd best collection of talent in the NBA after Kentucky. Probably not the best program to go after for player development.
My point was how many of them fizzled AFTER getting an NBA contract? The list is a long one. Kentucky is another one, lots of NBA contracts, and lots of players who didn’t measure up, and fizzled early. Compare that to (percentage wise) players coached by Jim Calhoun who made it to an NBA contract.

Reaction Score
Talent in the NBA, it’s Duke & Kentucky, then everyone else.

But I will say, there aren’t that many Dukies whose stock rose over the course of the college career. Many of Dukes successful NBA players came in as 1 and dones…

I’d argue that Hurley would get more out of Filipowski than Scheyer ever could. (Actually, there’s no argument there…)

Reaction Score
Yeah, knew that, but it ultimately came down to UNC and UConn. The kid was also approached by boosters from schools outside (common in those days) of Connecticut and unlike some other highly recruited in state CT players he turned down the cash. Heard that from highly reliable sources. One thing I noticed about Corny’s game before he committed to UConn was how well he used the glass when 4 or 5 feet away, and he had a great little leaning in jumper that was automatic.

Great mid range shooter for sure and agree, used the glass like the old time shooters very well.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
What does that have to do with Corny Thompson? I think he fell the Round 3 after coming out of hs as the cream of the crop.
I guess you don’t believe “coaching is everything”. Do you think Corny might have done a little better post UConn if he had played for Jim Calhoun? Thanks for the stupid attack.

Reaction Score

This will devolve into a debate about semantics but what Duke and especially UK do is not player development. The UK way is just as much “sign the best player, player underperforms and slips in the draft, player shows out in the NBA and outperforms draft slot.” They run a Stop congested offense that provides little space to operate and typically only let one guy on play on ball. It is kinda funny seeing guys struggle at UK sitting around the perimeter bricking 3s and then enter the NBA immediately as dynamic on ball scorers. When you bring in five 5* a year, your gonna have a bunch of succes stories.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
This will devolve into a debate about semantics but what Duke and especially UK do is not player development. The UK way is just as much “sign the best player, player underperforms and slips in the draft, player shows out in the NBA and outperforms draft slot.” They run a Stop congested offense that provides little space to operate and typically only let one guy on play on ball. It is kinda funny seeing guys struggle at UK sitting around the perimeter bricking 3s and then enter the NBA immediately as dynamic on ball scorers. When you bring in five 5* a year, your gonna have a bunch of succes stories.
I haven’t watched Kentucky basketball in awhile but from what I remember they just teach them motion iso basketball for the most part. There’s not complex plays and sets like Hurley does, but it does teach them iso skills necessary for the NBA and how to both be the star and play with stars.

I don’t think getting 5*s to perform in the NBA Is as easy as Duke and UK seem. Otherwise other schools like Kansas and UNC would produce like that too. The talent does help though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom