2025 Recruiting: - Cooper Flagg | Page 19 | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Cooper Flagg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If we get Flagg after a year of having Castle we may start looking like a 1 and done school somewhat.

I’m here for it while mixing in the development pieces!
I've come around to one and done. As long as the kids present a good image while here and represent the university well, I'm fine with them leaving for the NBA. High character, mature kids. I don't want entitled one and done "me first" players who destroy team chemistry. I trust Hurley to bring in the right kind of players. The NBA money will be there soon enough. Get kids that want to win championships above everything else while here.

Reaction Score
I've come around to one and done. As long as the kids present a good image while here and represent the university well, I'm fine with them leaving for the NBA. High character, mature kids. I don't want entitled one and done "me first" players who destroy team chemistry. I trust Hurley to bring in the right kind of players. The NBA money will be there soon enough. Get kids that want to win championships above everything else while here.
Currently UConn doesn't have the luxury of worrying about perhaps hauling in too many 5-star players - but I am confident Hurley is not going to bring in players who aren't committed to working hard for however long they are Huskies.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Let’s hope he values coaching and development. Not good that he’s only taken 1 visit. I don’t think his mother being friends with people close to the program is enough. Remaining hopeful though.

Reaction Score
Again Cooper Flagg is a bonus and who wouldn’t want him? However this plays out the most important recruit right now is Betsey. When you become that program once again like now, need to keep the state studs home. Hope the RU guy is onto something.
Agree…..the real prize is Betsey and Ngonba….or at least one of them. Flagg would be gravy.

Reaction Score
Again Cooper Flagg is a bonus and who wouldn’t want him? However this plays out the most important recruit right now is Betsey. When you become that program once again like now, need to keep the state studs home. Hope the RU guy is onto something.
Agreed. Of course we want both and Ngongba. But Betsey as the in state kid is almost more imperative. It’s like defending home court as the higher seed in a playoff series. Winning a road game is a bonus. Getting Flagg would be like winning a road game in that analogy.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And don't forget that tweet from a fellow recruit. The one that said "Just commit now!" I'm thinking that sentiment didn't come out of thin air.

Reaction Score
Flagg obviously moves the needle to a championship level. For my money, Ngongba is the next most impactful possibility for the 2024 class. To me, Nowell, Betsey, Abraham, are the quality complimentary players a team needs, but I think they need the 'alpha' type players as centerpieces for the team to advance deep into tournaments. I can't wrap my head around getting a commitment from a generational talent like Flagg so give me Ngongba as most important non-Flagg 2024. I do enjoy the Betsey-Ross-Flagg scenario mentioned by another poster.

Reaction Score
Flagg obviously moves the needle to a championship level. For my money, Ngongba is the next most impactful possibility for the 2024 class. To me, Nowell, Betsey, Abraham, are the quality complimentary players a team needs, but I think they need the 'alpha' type players as centerpieces for the team to advance deep into tournaments. I can't wrap my head around getting a commitment from a generational talent like Flagg so give me Ngongba as most important non-Flagg 2024. I do enjoy the Betsey-Ross-Flagg scenario mentioned by another poster.
We've never gotten a kid like Flagg. We've won a bunch of national championships and getting a player of Flagg's talent obviously doesn't equal a championship but the impact of getting a kid like him would be huge for many years to come. It simply raises the profile of the entire school and it's great publicity you'll get for his entire NBA career. Just get the kid on campus...

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
Getting some nice press out of it. It’s between Duke and UConn for the number one recruit in the country!!
This whole thing is only upside. We are being talked about constantly, and if this drags out it's better for us to actually land him AND to keep the brand popping up everytime he has a huge performance. Two outcomes exist:

1) We (expectedly) lost because he was a Duke lock.
2) Hurley and team are now the most feared recruiters in the country, and we can expect national championship contention every year*.

*Realignment sucks.

Last edited:

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
I would expect this staff will never be Diallo'd. So no matter what happens we'll have a top 5 class (presumably Betsey and Ngongba get us there) and if Flagg hits we're all geeking out. What a time to be a fan.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I would expect this staff will never be Diallo'd.
It's the resiliency of the staff responding to the unexpected losses of Cockburn with Sanogo; Timberlake with Spencer; and Pettiford with Nowell that most impresses me.

Achiuwa's shift to Montverde and Filipowski's response to Duke's interest served notice that the risks associated with Karaban going to IMG needed to be addressed swiftly & surely, which resulted in his mid-year enrollment at UConn.

It could be said that the loss of Diallo was the setup for successfully recruiting Akok Akok, which was a triple winner in not losing a PSA player; besting Boeheim who cracked Syracuse & setup up the backbreaker of Ajax; and establishing the mid-year entry scenario which preceded the total re-class moves.

The Corey Floyd transfer was a surprise that must have prompted some changes in its aftermath, and I have to imagine that other programs did their best to shake the certainty of Castle's commitment.

Much has been done by this staff to support not getting Diallo'd.

One way or another, the learning from Cooper Flagg's recruitment, from Maine to Florida, will bear fruit.

Reaction Score
This whole thing is only upside. We are being talked about constantly, and if this drags out it's better for us to actually land him AND to keep the brand popping up everytime he has a huge performance. Two outcomes exist:

1) We (expectedly) lost because he was a Duke lock.
2) Hurley and team are now the most feared recruiters in the country, and we can expect national championship contention every year*.

*Realignment sucks.
Yeah totally. Having a player like Flagg come here tells other future players of his caliber that it’s cool to come to UConn and opens up that next landscape of recruiting that we haven’t ever really been able to access.

That being said, gimme Betsey, gimme Ngongba and Flagg if it actually feels like we have a fighting chance. But man something about Edgecombe scratches this part of me where I salivate for a player like him. I just have this gut feeling about him as a player that is like we need him. He looks like a dogggggg, especially the husky type.

Either way, I’m really enjoying having all these Blue Blood problems to sort through. :p

Reaction Score
We've never gotten a kid like Flagg. We've won a bunch of national championships and getting a player of Flagg's talent obviously doesn't equal a championship but the impact of getting a kid like him would be huge for many years to come. It simply raises the profile of the entire school and it's great publicity you'll get for his entire NBA career. Just get the kid on campus...
Charlie Villanueva was awfully close, behind only Lebron James and maybe Lual Deng.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Actually, Corny Thompson was ranked by some as the #1 recruit in his class.
Andre was #1 too. I’m not sure he ended up as #1 after the te class but he was big time.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Actually, Corny Thompson was ranked by some as the #1 recruit in his class.
Corny was great, without question and I hold him in higher esteem than many as he and I were in the same class. Basically everyone had Mark Aguirre as the top recruit. Landon Turner (won a national title at Indiana) was the only one who was considered by anyone as being ahead of Aguirre (sadly his career ended in a car accident while still at Indiana).

1978 McDonalds All American

Reaction Score
I would expect this staff will never be Diallo'd. So no matter what happens we'll have a top 5 class (presumably Betsey and Ngongba get us there) and if Flagg hits we're all geeking out. What a time to be a fan.
Kid practically lived on campus for an entire semester when he was at PSA and Mamadou was at UConn. I was so mad at the time but there's a world where Diallo goes to UConn, KO keeps his job a while longer, and we don't have a 5th title

Reaction Score
Kid practically lived on campus for an entire semester when he was at PSA and Mamadou was at UConn. I was so mad at the time but there's a world where Diallo goes to UConn, KO keeps his job a while longer, and we don't have a 5th title
I actually drove to PSA several times to see him play in that parochial school sized cafeteria of a gym. I sat on the auditorium stage... That recruitment still burns me up.

Reaction Score
I remember when he committed to UConn, I was at a Fairfield U game at the Pit, and the buzz all over the gym was Corny picked UConn over North Carolina. Had his picture on the cover of Parade Magazine IIRC.
I covered his recruitment when I was Sports Editor of the Daily Campus. Corny and Mike McKay had dinner at my apartment more than once. Great guys.

Once drove Mike home -- to Father Panick Village in Bridgeport -- for a weekend. He told me my car would be safe (bc I was with him) while I went inside to meet his family.

Reaction Score
I covered his recruitment when I was Sports Editor of the Daily Campus. Corny and Mike McKay had dinner at my apartment more than once. Great guys.

Once drove Mike home -- to Father Panick Village in Bridgeport -- for a weekend. He told me my car would be safe (bc I was with him) while I went inside to meet his family.
Saw Corny and Mike play against a great NYC kids team at the Bridgeport JCC School Boy Classic. It was a tough contest but Corny eventually took the game over and the Connecticut kids pulled out a victory. That tiny gym was jammed. Dean Smith, Dave Gavitt, Dom Perno, Rollie Massimino, Boeheim, were all there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom