Cooper Flagg sets official UConn Visit! | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Cooper Flagg sets official UConn Visit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Tell that to Pitino and the Louisville assistant coaches. Oh wait, not Pitino since he said he didn't know anything about it. ;)
mr narrins GIF

Reaction Score
Not starting an argument or trying to derail the thread. I think it’s fair to call it a college-city. I’ve only been once too. I agree the college doesn’t “dominate” the city, but the athletic infrastructure and campus is also very visible from the highway. It’s got a large presence relative to the size of the city IMO.

You are a good poster. This is a perfect example of just being able to take a L and walk away.

By no definition is Louisville a college town. It just isn’t. It’s a small city famous for a few things that has a large, lousy college in it that happens to have a strong basketball tradition

Reaction Score
I spent the one tornado warning from my time in Lawrence on the back deck of a Mexican restaurant downtown (Quinton’s). We figured brick was as good as we were going to get. It was pretty damned scary when I drove through the green clouds and as we decided we had to leave our apartment.

Meanwhile, here in suburban Boston, I’ve been through two tornado warnings this month.
Don’t lie, @HuskyHawk. We all know you’ve been through another kind of tornado in suburban Boston a few times…

745AE607-6926-4136-B440-EDFA9E17CEAE.jpeg

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Still can’t believe some on this forum defend Kansas. No matter where he goes, he’ll be a one and done. He’s getting NIL too.
  1. If he goes to Kansas he was bought by the largest bag known to man.
  2. If he goes to Duke that’s his rumored “dream school.”
  3. If he goes to UConn regionality and closeness to home matters more than most think.
I’m fine with either to be honest. Not a make or break for us.

Reaction Score
You are a good poster. This is a perfect example of just being able to take a L and walk away.

By no definition is Louisville a college town. It just isn’t. It’s a small city famous for a few things that has a large, lousy college in it that happens to have a strong basketball tradition.
This (and Upstater's) is a good example of posters seeking to score points instead of having nuanced discussions; and why I post far less frequently than in the past.

Nowhere in this discussion did I use the word "town" to describe Louisville.

My point was, IN MY OPINION, the University of Louisville has a very large/visible presence in Louisville relative to the size of the city.
Compared to Boston College, or Memphis University, it's hard to miss UL driving through Louisville, the same can't be said for BCU or Memphis....IMO. It's a city with, as you said, a large college in it, that is somewhat different than similarly sized cities with colleges in them.

In my experience, it's somewhat unique, and that's why I asked HooperScooper if he'd ever been there. But in no single post did I call it a town.

Reaction Score
Good grief. We've got one right now most likely.

Duke didn't have a one and done until Corey Maggette. K hated the idea of it. But the sport changed. It isn't the schools choosing one and done guys, it's the players having the ability to leave and choosing to do so.

I do think those players shouldn't make up much of your roster. It's hard to win with that many freshmen and that little continuity. There's no real risk of that at UConn. Cooper Flagg is more than welcome to become a Husky.
Of course he is more than welcome to become a Husky. All due respect, that's not the point. The reality is that we have won as many NCAA titles in the last 25 years (five) as Kansas and Duke combined, without being a program known for 'one and done' players. Our two points are not contradictory.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Of course he is more than welcome to become a Husky. All due respect, that's not the point. The reality is that we have won as many NCAA titles in the last 25 years (five) as Kansas and Duke combined, without being a program known for 'one and done' players. Our two points are not contradictory.
Only two programs are known for "one and done" players. Duke and Kentucky. That's it. Kansas hasn't had many and some, like Grady Dick last year, weren't expected to be when signed. UNC has had more. Scheyer is making a change and it's an attempt to bring Duke back to where they have an occasional "one and done" because he realizes turning over your entire roster every year isn't a recipe for success. You're going to see Duke getting more 4 star kids who will stay. Coaches are realizing you can’t win without experience.

Reaction Score
Not crapping on Kansas or Self, but. Only 1 team, other than Kansas, has won a national title, Baylor. As good as B12 is, it has not translated to titles (3 total), in the time of comparison.

Other than UConn's 4 national titles, Louisville (2, 1-vacated), Syracuse (if you count 2003), Villanova(2) have won titles. Four teams with 9 or 8 titles.

You can make the case, UConn's lack of conference success could be because they seem to have played against tougher conference opponents. As evidenced by the national titles.

But again, Kansas and Self's success is nothing to scoff at.

How Self has done it is something to scoff at though and only a slap on the wrist. Screw him he’s underachieved immensely based on his cheating ways and the rosters he’s had year after year. I mean yeah he’s won his league a ton but can’t get it done as much as he should when the dance lights are on.

pj

Reaction Score
Exactly. That writer has some serious bias and hate going on. If im Duke id be very, very concerned with this visit to Uconn especially seeing Hurleys recent record with recruits.

A writer for 247sports has to promote 247sports and their rankings including the archives. It's part of the job, not bias and hate.

Reaction Score

By no definition is Louisville a college town. It just isn’t. It’s a small city famous for a few things that has a large, lousy college in it that happens to have a strong basketball tradition
Louisville isn't a small city.

Reaction Score
I know my take will be discredited, but they also have an astonishing dorm for those guys and there is no place they can go where they will be more revered on campus and in the town. For a HS kid, some of that carries weight. They can make a pretty good pitch, aside from any money.

He didn't show the room where the team specifically goes to cry & heal after underachieving in the NCAA tourney (e.g., after losing a 1 seed - 8 seed game.) They have to have a room for that???

Reaction Score
LOL, says the guy who posted, "Good story Bro!!!!"

You might want to try more self-awareness
You're worried about me when you couldn't even accurately quote a three-word post?

You said you wouldn't call it a college town. I replied "Cool story bro" because I didn't call it a college town either.

You haven't once addressed my reasoning for my opinion, only my self-awareness and the incorrect assertion that i called it a college town.

So yeah, cool story bro.

Reaction Score
This (and Upstater's) is a good example of posters seeking to score points instead of having nuanced discussions; and why I post far less frequently than in the past.

Nowhere in this discussion did I use the word "town" to describe Louisville.

My point was, IN MY OPINION, the University of Louisville has a very large/visible presence in Louisville relative to the size of the city.
Compared to Boston College, or Memphis University, it's hard to miss UL driving through Louisville, the same can't be said for BCU or Memphis....IMO. It's a city with, as you said, a large college in it, that is somewhat different than similarly sized cities with colleges in them.

In my experience, it's somewhat unique, and that's why I asked HooperScooper if he'd ever been there. But in no single post did I call it a town.
I guess everyone can have their own opinion (and we seem to have lots of them here about every subject!) but here's my reasoning. Mention the city of Louisville to anyone. What would they say about it? I would think the University of Louisville is not near the top of the list of things it's associated with. Say Ann Arbor and what would someone say about it? First thing would be the University of Michigan. Lawrence, Kansas? University of Kansas. Tuscaloosa? University of Alabama. Chapel Hill? University of North Carolina. That to me is a college town. Those places don't really exist as they are without the university.

Louisville still exists as a medium sized city without the University of Louisville. The school just happens to be in that city because it's a good sized metropolitan area. Just like Vanderbilt is in Nashville but Nashville would still exist as it is without Vanderbilt. Memphis still exists as a medium sized city without the University of Memphis. Louisville and Memphis metro areas are about the same size and I wouldn't say Memphis is a college town either. There are a lot of examples like this.

Reaction Score
I guess everyone can have their own opinion (and we seem to have lots of them here about every subject!) but here's my reasoning. Mention the city of Louisville to anyone. What would they say about it? I would think the University of Louisville is not near the top of the list of things it's associated with. Say Ann Arbor and what would someone say about it? First thing would be the University of Michigan. Lawrence, Kansas? University of Kansas. Tuscaloosa? University of Alabama. Chapel Hill? University of North Carolina. That to me is a college town. Those places don't really exist as they are without the university.

Louisville still exists as a medium sized city without the University of Louisville. The school just happens to be in that city because it's a good sized metropolitan area. Just like Vanderbilt is in Nashville but Nashville would still exist as it is without Vanderbilt. Memphis still exists as a medium sized city without the University of Memphis. Louisville and Memphis metro areas are about the same size and I wouldn't say Memphis is a college town either. There are a lot of examples like this.
I agree with that and appreciate the explanation. I never said you were wrong. For the 3rd or 4th time, I'm not saying it's a college town. I just said it struck me as unique, because considering how relatively large it is, Louisville still has a very clear presence. In my travels, this is somewhat unique. I wouldn't (and didn't) say Memphis is a college town either. That's my point, it's similarly sized, but it's got a very different feel than Louisville because the school doesn't seem to have much of a presence.

Reaction Score

I don't think I agree with that. I think when many people hear Louisville they associate it with the school, Louisville basketball has always been a thing. What else are they really known for? The Louisville slugger? Bourbon and the Kentucky Derby are obviously major things but I'm not sure most associate them with Louisville. Muhammad Ali is from there but most people probably don't know that. Most people probably don't know it's population is around the same as Boston, Detroit, Las Vegas, Milwaukee etc. and it's population is larger than Atlanta, Baltimore, Kansas City, St. Louis, New Orleans etc.

Reaction Score
Love this board.
Love this board - Louisville 790K Population
��
small (50-100k)small-mid (100-150k)mid (150-500k)large (500k +)
Select Population and Housing Charteristics by City Size Categories, 2019

Reaction Score
I don't think I agree with that. I think when many people hear Louisville they associate it with the school, Louisville basketball has always been a thing. What else are they really known for? The Louisville slugger? Bourbon and the Kentucky Derby are obviously major things but I'm not sure most associate them with Louisville. Muhammad Ali is from there but most people probably don't know that. Most people probably don't know it's population is around the same as Boston, Detroit, Las Vegas, Milwaukee etc. and it's population is larger than Atlanta, Baltimore, Kansas City, St. Louis, New Orleans etc.
Kentucky Derby and Bourbon before U of L

Reaction Score
Non-sports fans will not think of it as a college town/city. Here's a good illustration that essentially backs up the way others are treating it in their mind:

If you go to TripAdvisor and find "Things to Do in Louisville" there's a whole page of attractions and places without the college listed at all. If you go to Ann Arbor on the same website, the #1 attraction is the college and the #2 is the football stadium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom