Concerns about Selection Sunday | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Concerns about Selection Sunday

Reaction Score
Full disclosure… I’m not much for conspiracy theories, but in the case of UConn and where we get seeded, I am ALL IN, BABY! I think there has been an anti-UConn bias for a long time, because of the success our program (and tbh, the way Geno gets under some folk’s skin). I (sort of) remember there was one year where ND got a #1 seed and we got a 2, even though we beat them in the BET. The rational [and the official reply) was “well ND won the regular season crown and that’s more important”. Except they hadn’t won it. We we’re in a tie for the regular season Crown. When pressed, the committee’s response was….. crickets.

Reaction Score
The women's selection use to be on Monday but this year, they got the Sunday time slot as well. 8pm. Of course we don't get the full day of attention like the men's side. Heck I think they are only going give the women's side just an hout of coverage on Sunday.
JellyBean- - -The Selection show is 8pm to 9pm on ESPN and the discussion of the brackets show is 9pm to 10pm on ESPN2!

Reaction Score
If the conference tournaments are so important that the winner is put in automatically (I am in favor of that), then they also should be important for determining how a team is playing going into the tournament. I can't understand how a team that didn't even make the finals of their conference championship (unless they were absolutely dominant up to then) can be considered a number 1 seed (that means LSU, Indiana, Utah, and Stanford).

The same should be true of injuries. If a team who has suffered a catastrophic injury prior to the tournament, they are usually downgraded (this may happen to Notre Dame, for example). That should cut both ways: a team that suffered injuries all season, but has now returned to full strength and won both regular season and conference championship with that team, should be judged accordingly for seeding purposes.

Reaction Score
If the conference tournaments are so important that the winner is put in automatically (I am in favor of that), then they also should be important for determining how a team is playing going into the tournament. I can't understand how a team that didn't even make the finals of their conference championship (unless they were absolutely dominant up to then) can be considered a number 1 seed (that means LSU, Indiana, Utah, and Stanford).

The same should be true of injuries. If a team who has suffered a catastrophic injury prior to the tournament, they are usually downgraded (this may happen to Notre Dame, for example). That should cut both ways: a team that suffered injuries all season, but has now returned to full strength and won both regular season and conference championship with that team, should be judged accordingly for seeding purposes.
How important are they really.

Kentucky near SCar for the SEC tournament title last year. Did that make them a one seed? A two seed? No. Where was SCar seeded for losing? Top seed. Didn’t affect them at all.

It is merely a factor they consider. It is given no special weight over the other factors.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I have to say that the suggestions that the NCAA is somehow biased against UConn when it comes to seeding just doesn’t hold water. UConn has been a #1 or #2 seed for as long as I can remember. Covid canceled the tournament in 2020 and moved all the regionals to San Antonio in 2021.

Other than those two seasons, UConn has been able to play every regional from 2015 to 2022 at the friendly confines of either the Times-Union Center in Albany, NY or Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport, CT, in front of large, loud, pro-UConn crowds. If anyone had reason to complain about seeding, it would have been NC State who battled the Huskies through 2 OT’s in the Elite 8 game last year in Bridgeport.

With the NCAA trying out a new “2 regional site” format this year and for the foreseeable future, assuming UConn takes care of business in the 1st two rounds, the Huskies will hit the road to either Greenville, or Seattle. The last time that happened during a normal tournament was 2014, when the Huskies ended up in Lincoln, NE. OH by the way, UConn won it all that year.

Next year the regionals will be back at the Times-Union Center in Albany, NY. I expect to be there along with approximately 17,500 enthusiastic, predominantly pro-UConn Husky fans.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I predict we will be seeded very appropriately as per UCONN being UCONN….the committee knows the big following of the Huskies and wants to see us in Dallas….tv ratings….prestige …our competitiveness…etc etc
A long shot #1 which I believe we deserve but no lower than #2 ….
The dynasty will continue
2938B019-B493-463B-A5ED-002617600B55.jpeg

Reaction Score
Boy, everyone out with their arguments against UConn not really being a #1, and once the tournament starts all the officials picking on UConn. Poor UConn! How do we possibly have any chance without a #1 seed and fair officiating? Geez, cut the drama, just go out and play the games already. The best team will probably win in the end.
The best team in the Finals will but there are a lot of factors that affect that game that are the result of seedings. For example, the difficulty of games before the FF, the day you play the Elite 8 game( we had one day less rest than SC did going in), and travel vs. home games (like SC this year). It isn't exactly a perfectly balanced event.

Reaction Score
For UConn, seedlings don’t really matter. 1,2, or 3 seed who cares. Just beat the teams on the schedule. When or where you play them really doesn’t matter.
Exactly! Well said and to the point.

Reaction Score
If they are really smart, they would arrange it so Iowa and UCONN play in the Semis and potentially Stanford and SC in the other Semis. The TV audience would be record making.
Nope. You have two rematches in the Final Four. They would not want that.

SCar v Iowa and UConn v. Stanford would have huge viewership. As would a SCar or UConn elite 8 match against Indiana. Not so sure Stanford vs Indiana would draw as much interest.

Reaction Score
I'm fine with being the top #2 seed in Iowa's bracket. Motivation and an opportunity to play a team we've already beaten. On top of that we wouldn't meet SC in the National Semi!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
For those who want a boiled down version of the of how the selection committee evaluates teams, this is from the NCAA's site:

Criteria used by the Division I Women’s Basketball Committee to evaluate a team includes (alphabetically):
  • Availability of talent (injured or unavailable players)
  • Bad losses
  • Common opponents
  • Competitive in losses
  • Conference record
  • Early competition versus late competition
  • Head-to-head outcomes
  • NET ranking
  • Non-conference record
  • Observable component
  • Overall record
  • Regional Advisory Committee region rankings
  • Significant wins
  • Strength of schedule
Throw it all into a blender, mix it up, then add personal bias... LOL (this last is my comment)
UConn is currently #2 in the NET. LSU is #3, which gives me some concern over the accuracy of the NET.
I guess “observable component“ is the formal name for eye test

Reaction Score
Forego, THIS is what the Boneyard likes to do. We like to piss, whine, moan, and complain about anything we think is not right, is unfair to us, or excludes or disrespects us. We're spoiled. That's who we are. Just as wealthy people are ok with living like they're rich, We're ok with complaining. Don't forget, this is our forum. We're complaining to each other, not to other fan bases' chatrooms/boards. We could win the national championship, and there would still be a few negative comments about how the team or various players played. :confused:
Wish I could give this 2 "likes"; oh, I can, "like","like" !!

Reaction Score
The best team in the Finals will but there are a lot of factors that affect that game that are the result of seedings. For example, the difficulty of games before the FF, the day you play the Elite 8 game( we had one day less rest than SC did going in), and travel vs. home games (like SC this year). It isn't exactly a perfectly balanced event.
Never is, never will be. The whole season is affected by these things. It's an imperfect sports world, which is why they play the games and see who wins.

Reaction Score
Never is, never will be. The whole season is affected by these things. It's an imperfect sports world, which is why they play the games and see who wins.
Which is why I don't think that "go out and play the game" is the only accurate reductive statement when you talk about the NCAA. Do we lose to Marquette this year if we didn't have SC on Feb 5 and Marquette away on Feb 8? Or to both ND and Md. away on Sundays early following home games Friday night? I thought the scheduling this year was actually adversarial in nature and while it is always a factor it was especially disadvantageous with a depleted lineup.

For the Big Dance, the point is that equity is the goal, a fair contest without advantages to one party or the other in the NCAA, since that is their motto. It's not about excuses, it's about understanding how factors that are outside of the control of the teams affect basketball. We have the first two games in Storrs but the Regionals are in Greenville, SC. Let's see how many complaints there are about Storrs and how few there are about Greenville.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
This is more a general comment on the flaw in many conspiracy theories. They are often based upon the improbability of something happening, but over a period of time the improbable becomes probable.

For example, I remember the time BYers suspected bias in the placing of the best teams with male coaches in the same regional. Let us say there is only a 10% chance of that happening randomly for a particular year, or a 90% chance that it should not happen. Over a period of 22 years that becomes flipped, according to probability there is only a 10% chance that the seemingly conspiratorial event would never happen within that time frame, a 90% chance that it will happen once.

But the realities of extended probabilities are not such to discourage a worked up grievance.

Reaction Score
Which is why I don't think that "go out and play the game" is the only accurate reductive statement when you talk about the NCAA. Do we lose to Marquette this year if we didn't have SC on Feb 5 and Marquette away on Feb 8? Or to both ND and Md. away on Sundays early following home games Friday night? I thought the scheduling this year was actually adversarial in nature and while it is always a factor it was especially disadvantageous with a depleted lineup.

For the Big Dance, the point is that equity is the goal, a fair contest without advantages to one party or the other in the NCAA, since that is their motto. It's not about excuses, it's about understanding how factors that are outside of the control of the teams affect basketball. We have the first two games in Storrs but the Regionals are in Greenville, SC. Let's see how many complaints there are about Storrs and how few there are about Greenville.
The reality is that the goals of equity and fairness are a fool's folly, especially when an NCAA committee is involved. For me it does come down to playing the games, for just that reason. You have to be a rather biased fan if you think UConn is the only team that dealt with injuries, fatigue, and scheduling. Go ahead and attempt to consider all the factors, if that excites you. For me, strap on your sneakers, and play the games.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
You know what? As good as I believe UConn is going into the NCAAs I dont think they can be beat. We have everything. As good as SC has been theyve also been healthy. We are getting back to healthy now. The key is staying healthy.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I have to say that the suggestions that the NCAA is somehow biased against UConn when it comes to seeding just doesn’t hold water. UConn has been a #1 or #2 seed for as long as I can remember. Covid canceled the tournament in 2020 and moved all the regionals to San Antonio in 2021.

Sorry. I can't read that phrase without this flashing through my head. :)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Boy, everyone out with their arguments against UConn not really being a #1, and once the tournament starts all the officials picking on UConn. Poor UConn! How do we possibly have any chance without a #1 seed and fair officiating? Geez, cut the drama, just go out and play the games already. The best team will probably win in the end.

Did anyone else picture Boonton like this?
Angry Old Man GIF by Stad Genk

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
What PO's me is that many of the Big 5 teams get in because they are part of one of those conferences. Any team that does not have a winning record in their respective conference should not get in, that includes going 9-9 in a conference, unless they win their conference tournament. I also believe that the regular season conference champions should get in if they lost in the conference tournament. There are some good teams that don't make it because too many teams from the Big 5 are included, maybe limit the conference to no more than 6 teams. There are some better teams in other non Big 5 conferences that don't get in, versus the 7th, 8th, or 9th team in a Big 5.

Reaction Score

Other than those two seasons, UConn has been able to play every regional from 2015 to 2022 at the friendly confines of either the Times-Union Center in Albany, NY or Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport, CT, in front of large, loud, pro-UConn crowds. If anyone had reason to complain about seeding, it would have been NC State who battled the Huskies through 2 OT’s in the Elite 8 game last year in Bridgeport.

With the NCAA trying out a new “2 regional site” format this year and for the foreseeable future, assuming UConn takes care of business in the 1st two rounds, the Huskies will hit the road to either Greenville, or Seattle. The last time that happened during a normal tournament was 2014, when the Huskies ended up in Lincoln, NE. OH by the way, UConn won it all that year.

Next year the regionals will be back at the Times-Union Center in Albany, NY. I expect to be there along with approximately 17,500 enthusiastic, predominantly pro-UConn Husky fans.
NC State, yes. And how about Jose Fernandez? In Charlie's last prediction, he has South Florida in Storrs on the opening weekend - have we seen this before?! :cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom