Concerns about Selection Sunday | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Concerns about Selection Sunday

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
What PO's me is that many of the Big 5 teams get in because they are part of one of those conferences. Any team that does not have a winning record in their respective conference should not get in, that includes going 9-9 in a conference, unless they win their conference tournament. I also believe that the regular season conference champions should get in if they lost in the conference tournament. There are some good teams that don't make it because too many teams from the Big 5 are included, maybe limit the conference to no more than 6 teams. There are some better teams in other non Big 5 conferences that don't get in, versus the 7th, 8th, or 9th team in a Big 5.
Exactly this. What is being rewarded - working hard to win the conference, or getting hot during the conf tourney? A team could have a great overall record, go undefeated in conference, and then one of the lower seeded teams with a mediocre record gets hot/lucky, and wins the conf tourney. Now what? Depending on how the "experts" rank the conference and all the other stats used, that top team might not get a bid. The conf tourneys are partly there for income, and for some, to give >1 team a chance at the big dance. It would be fascinating to see a bracket with regular season champs as AQs, then what fills in afterwards.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
So far today all of the lower seeded teams have won their conference championship against their conference regular season champion.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
NC State, yes. And how about Jose Fernandez? In Charlie's last prediction, he has South Florida in Storrs on the opening weekend - have we seen this before?! :cool:
Well, if the weather is good, Jose can bring his clubs and get 9 holes in with Geno at his course….:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Funny how we look at seeding & brackets from an”elite” perspective.
There are so many teams who are first timers or otherwise not considered to have a legitimate chance of advancing too far.
But they jump at the chance to maybe fly across country to play a first round game against a heavily favored team on their home court.
Perhaps fly in and home the same day.
Whatever the ACTUAL brackets and pairing turn out to be, let’s have a little respect for whatever “cupcake” we draw first.
Chances are they will come to Storrs knowing they will be heavily outgunned in front of a hostile crowd.
But they will probably give it all they have even if it’s not enough at the final buzzer.
Whether the brackets are sensible or absurd, we have the talent & heart to be the last women standing.
If we can get & stay healthy, we can score & defend with anyone as long as we don’t succumb to the irrelevant noise & beat ourselves.
Geno has it exactly right.
Whoever UCONN draws and in whatever round, they have to win 6 games.
And they can’t win all 6 at one time.
Take care of business in game 1.
Then we can talk again.
Somebody, somewhere is going to be looking ahead or taking something for granted.
Then we’ll all be saying “WOW, can believe
(Fill in the blank) beat (fill in the blank)!?”
Best way to avoid that happening to the Huskies is to play EVERYONE like they are South Carolina.
IMHO
and.... if you look too far ahead you may find a UCF in the second round! Remember that 52 - 47 win??
NICE OVERVIEW by Inthepaint, thanks Z

Reaction Score
We all know the top 10 teams so really it comes down to who plays who before the Final Four. Tonight is really about listening to the "experts" explain why an Iowa team that got beat by 30 the last week of the season should jump 7 spots and be a 1 seed because they beat Ohio State. Why UCONN didn't get the same bump for thumping every team in the BET when they are obviously a different team with Azzi.

I think this will come down to SC and UCONN for the marbles. I also think either Stanford or VaTech will lose before the final weekend, heck maybe both of them.

Reaction Score
Did anyone else picture Boonton like this?
Angry Old Man GIF by Stad Genk
Probably! Except for the 20 likes .

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Well today all of the lower seeded teams took their conference championships. So will the committee reward some of the regular season conference winners or are they going to insist on putting 7 or 8 teams from the Big 5 in the tournament. If they go with the Big 5, I might just watch the NIT for some great basketball play in lieu of some team that went 10-8 or 9-9 in their respective conference.

Reaction Score
Gotta wonder whats goin on. I read Charlies remarks and I have to wonder because for me its very confusing. How can teams struggle in the second half of the season and lose to unranked teams and be thought to be a 1 seed. Why are some teams considered a 1 seed because they won their conference tournament and not UConn? If injuries and returning players play a part in deciding rankings how much better does it get having Azzi and Caroline back? The teams that struggled down the stretch pretty much had their starters on the floor. UConn didnt until the BET and in the BET UConn showed us a different much improved team. The team that dominated the BET is similar to the team that started the season.

Im not sure if its me but I have to wonder if there are anti UConn people trying to sway the rankings and the NCAA pairings? I mention that because of the pairings UConn faced last season. UConn had the tuffest road to the FF and made the Final game. Another concern is how the games will be called. That one you can think about. For me its a concern.

I look at this UConn team now and with Azzi and Caroline back and hopefully Griff we are balanced on both sides of the ball with great outside shooters, with bigs underneath and altogether they can all create their own shot and shoot at a very high percentage from the floor and at the line. Will opponents be good enough to guard and stop UConn? Will defenses play physical and that physicality not be called fouls? If we need to make foul shots who is better then Azzi and Lou and UConn as a team.

For these reasons I cant see UConn losing unless they have injuries or in big time foul trouble.

If UConn faces SC I believe our outside shooting could make the difference. I say that thinking of LVille beating a very good Griner/Baylor team with their outside shooting. I believe UConn can put up alot more points then most teams they will face and because of that trying to defend UConn 5 on 5 would be very difficult. I am really looking forward to tomorrow nite. FWIW my 1 seeds are

SC
UConn
Indiana
Iowa
Well Tony with 4 hours to go I think there are 67 teams worried that they will be in line to play the UConn Huskies!

Reaction Score
You know what? As good as I believe UConn is going into the NCAAs I dont think they can be beat.
With all due respect, Uconn can certainly be beat and can just as certainly beat anyone.

Reaction Score
What PO's me is that many of the Big 5 teams get in because they are part of one of those conferences. Any team that does not have a winning record in their respective conference should not get in, that includes going 9-9 in a conference, unless they win their conference tournament. I also believe that the regular season conference champions should get in if they lost in the conference tournament. There are some good teams that don't make it because too many teams from the Big 5 are included, maybe limit the conference to no more than 6 teams. There are some better teams in other non Big 5 conferences that don't get in, versus the 7th, 8th, or 9th team in a Big 5.
it has always been like that, it's worse in the men's. A 30-4 team from the CUSA could lose their final and they would be in the NIT. Power 5's will always get the benefit of the doubt because it is harder to win vs those teams than a mid major. I don't consider the big east a mid major, but they get treated as one. If they didn't then a St John's team with the wins they have would be comfortably in instead of sweating out tonight the selection show.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
it has always been like that, it's worse in the men's. A 30-4 team from the CUSA could lose their final and they would be in the NIT. Power 5's will always get the benefit of the doubt because it is harder to win vs those teams than a mid major. I don't consider the big east a mid major, but they get treated as one. If they didn't then a St John's team with the wins they have would be comfortably in instead of sweating out tonight the selection show.
So you get a team that plays a better out of conference schedule than a Big 5 team but is overlooked because they didn't win their tournament. At one time LSU had a SOS of over 300 and was in the mid 200's before conference play, yet they get rewarded with being a team hosting the first week of the tournament. Many of the middle of the road Big 5's won't play top mid majors because they don't want a loss that's not in conference.

Reaction Score
UConn men won NC as 9-9 team.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
This is more a general comment on the flaw in many conspiracy theories. They are often based upon the improbability of something happening, but over a period of time the improbable becomes probable.

For example, I remember the time BYers suspected bias in the placing of the best teams with male coaches in the same regional. Let us say there is only a 10% chance of that happening randomly for a particular year, or a 90% chance that it should not happen. Over a period of 22 years that becomes flipped, according to probability there is only a 10% chance that the seemingly conspiratorial event would never happen within that time frame, a 90% chance that it will happen once.

But the realities of extended probabilities are not such to discourage a worked up grievance.
Ask and ye shall receive. It's back, the male coaches conspiracy ...

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Ask and ye shall receive. It's back, the male coaches conspiracy ...

This is really eye opening. It is a subject that I would never have thought about but now that I see it, mind-boggling.

Reaction Score
This is really eye opening. It is a subject that I would never have thought about but now that I see it, mind-boggling.
Six out of thirty-two is "mind boggling?" A 1 in 5.33 ratio? So that means 4 out of 5-ish are women.

"Currently, 222 head coaches in women's college basketball are female, good for just over 63%. That is the highest percentage since 2010-11, when 64% of head coaches were female. Source: 2007-08 through 2017-18: NCAA Demographic Database; 2018-19 and 2019-20: author's calculations using Her Hoop Stats data." 2020" (Sorry, I don't have an update for 2022)

Now consider that two of the six men (Geno and Vic) are long established and successful coaches who have numerous Elite 8/F4 appearances. When they retire will they be replaced by males? Doubtful. The number of males is shrinking as the sport matures.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And there were four teams very close for the last two 1 seeds. Guess which ones got them?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Six out of thirty-two is "mind boggling?" A 1 in 5.33 ratio? So that means 4 out of 5-ish are women.

"Currently, 222 head coaches in women's college basketball are female, good for just over 63%. That is the highest percentage since 2010-11, when 64% of head coaches were female. Source: 2007-08 through 2017-18: NCAA Demographic Database; 2018-19 and 2019-20: author's calculations using Her Hoop Stats data." 2020" (Sorry, I don't have an update for 2022)

Now consider that two of the six men (Geno and Vic) are long established and successful coaches who have numerous Elite 8/F4 appearances. When they retire will they be replaced by males? Doubtful. The number of males is shrinking as the sport matures.

Just the fact that these teams are all in Seattle was mind boggling TO ME!!!!
I am not going to debate why I feel this way. Sorry

Reaction Score
Just the fact that these teams are all in Seattle was mind boggling TO ME!!!!
I am not going to debate why I feel this way. Sorry
Oh. Okay. That is strange and seemingly paradoxical though probably coincidental. The ration would become 5 out of 16 for the Seattle region. That IS kind of mind boggling.

Greenville: "Deep South" perceived to be a conservative, male dominant, anti-feminist area of the nation.
Seattle: "Left coast" perceived to be liberal, more female empowering area of the nation.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom