Concerns about Selection Sunday | The Boneyard

Concerns about Selection Sunday

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Gotta wonder whats goin on. I read Charlies remarks and I have to wonder because for me its very confusing. How can teams struggle in the second half of the season and lose to unranked teams and be thought to be a 1 seed. Why are some teams considered a 1 seed because they won their conference tournament and not UConn? If injuries and returning players play a part in deciding rankings how much better does it get having Azzi and Caroline back? The teams that struggled down the stretch pretty much had their starters on the floor. UConn didnt until the BET and in the BET UConn showed us a different much improved team. The team that dominated the BET is similar to the team that started the season.

Im not sure if its me but I have to wonder if there are anti UConn people trying to sway the rankings and the NCAA pairings? I mention that because of the pairings UConn faced last season. UConn had the tuffest road to the FF and made the Final game. Another concern is how the games will be called. That one you can think about. For me its a concern.

I look at this UConn team now and with Azzi and Caroline back and hopefully Griff we are balanced on both sides of the ball with great outside shooters, with bigs underneath and altogether they can all create their own shot and shoot at a very high percentage from the floor and at the line. Will opponents be good enough to guard and stop UConn? Will defenses play physical and that physicality not be called fouls? If we need to make foul shots who is better then Azzi and Lou and UConn as a team.

For these reasons I cant see UConn losing unless they have injuries or in big time foul trouble.

If UConn faces SC I believe our outside shooting could make the difference. I say that thinking of LVille beating a very good Griner/Baylor team with their outside shooting. I believe UConn can put up alot more points then most teams they will face and because of that trying to defend UConn 5 on 5 would be very difficult. I am really looking forward to tomorrow nite. FWIW my 1 seeds are

SC
UConn
Indiana
Iowa

Reaction Score
Love your post and agree about the concerns. It seems circular arguments are being used to bias against UConn -- whether it is conference championships (Ind, Stan, Maryland), eye test (Va Tech, Utah), injuries (ND), losses to unranked teams (Stan, Iowa), strength of schedule (LSU). My request to the NCAA selection committee -- please select the criteria and stay consistent.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I think folks who are interested should review the Selection Committee criteria and make their choices - and be prepared to defend them. :p)

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Putting CC's bracketology predictions aside, imagine both how tasty it would be, and the uproar amongst the "experts" if UConn and Iowa get #1 seeds, and VA Tech and Stanford are put at #2. (and I still don't think ND should be a #3, but that's another story)

In all the years I've been following UConn WBB, I think I can count on one hand the number of times that Geno made public comments regarding the seedings. One was the 1998 tourney when UConn was seeded #2 and one reason give was Sales end of season injury, however Stanford got the #1 seed and we know how that turned out. UConn lost in regional finals to NCSU, however you wonder what would have happened if they were given a #1 seed.

Reaction Score
Boy, everyone out with their arguments against UConn not really being a #1, and once the tournament starts all the officials picking on UConn. Poor UConn! How do we possibly have any chance without a #1 seed and fair officiating? Geez, cut the drama, just go out and play the games already. The best team will probably win in the end.

sun

Reaction Score
I think that CC panders to other fan bases to build up their hopes & enthusiasm so that reading his work remains interesting to followers of the other programs.
After all, they collectively have many more followers than UConn has all by itself.
Only then will the ESPN headlines have an even larger splash effect when the entire USA reads about UConn being selected as a #1 seed.
It builds up more interest that way as opposed to deflating everyone else's interest from the very beginning by dashing their hopes.
By doing it that way the fans can't blame CC for UConn being selected, but rather that it's the committee's fault.
And then he can remain more popular with the masses of WCBB fans even if he needs to eat crow now & then.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
All the seeding does is determine the second week of the tournament. The first week will be cupcakes, the third will be all really good teams, so that leaves number 2. UCONN has been playing good defense even when they weren't playing good on offense. In the tournament that will be important and decide how far they go.

NO team wants to play UCONN before the final weekend. Even SC knows they only have one or two teams to worry about and UCONN is one of them. That and the NCAAW needing UCONN and SC in the final weekend for viewers means UCONN will get a good draw.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I'll start off by saying regardless of your seed, you have to win 6 games to be the national champion. It's that simple.

Next, I will say that SC and Indiana are easy 1 seed choices. VT - no. Stanford - no. 3 seed should be UConn and 4 seed should be Iowa.

I agree that Creme seems to have a bias against UConn. Same story, their injuries keep them from being a higher seed. It didn't matter to him that UConn kept on winning. Didn't matter to him that UConn had the most difficult OOC schedule and was constantly #2 in the NET rankings.

We will see what happens on Sunday.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Sunday

6:00 CBS Men's Teams drawn

8:00 ESPN Women's Teams drawn

Reaction Score
For those who want a boiled down version of the of how the selection committee evaluates teams, this is from the NCAA's site:

Criteria used by the Division I Women’s Basketball Committee to evaluate a team includes (alphabetically):
  • Availability of talent (injured or unavailable players)
  • Bad losses
  • Common opponents
  • Competitive in losses
  • Conference record
  • Early competition versus late competition
  • Head-to-head outcomes
  • NET ranking
  • Non-conference record
  • Observable component
  • Overall record
  • Regional Advisory Committee region rankings
  • Significant wins
  • Strength of schedule
Throw it all into a blender, mix it up, then add personal bias... LOL (this last is my comment)
UConn is currently #2 in the NET. LSU is #3, which gives me some concern over the accuracy of the NET.

Reaction Score
Gotta wonder whats goin on. I read Charlies remarks and I have to wonder because for me its very confusing. How can teams struggle in the second half of the season and lose to unranked teams and be thought to be a 1 seed. Why are some teams considered a 1 seed because they won their conference tournament and not UConn? If injuries and returning players play a part in deciding rankings how much better does it get having Azzi and Caroline back? The teams that struggled down the stretch pretty much had their starters on the floor. UConn didnt until the BET and in the BET UConn showed us a different much improved team. The team that dominated the BET is similar to the team that started the season.

Im not sure if its me but I have to wonder if there are anti UConn people trying to sway the rankings and the NCAA pairings? I mention that because of the pairings UConn faced last season. UConn had the tuffest road to the FF and made the Final game. Another concern is how the games will be called. That one you can think about. For me its a concern.

I look at this UConn team now and with Azzi and Caroline back and hopefully Griff we are balanced on both sides of the ball with great outside shooters, with bigs underneath and altogether they can all create their own shot and shoot at a very high percentage from the floor and at the line. Will opponents be good enough to guard and stop UConn? Will defenses play physical and that physicality not be called fouls? If we need to make foul shots who is better then Azzi and Lou and UConn as a team.

For these reasons I cant see UConn losing unless they have injuries or in big time foul trouble.

If UConn faces SC I believe our outside shooting could make the difference. I say that thinking of LVille beating a very good Griner/Baylor team with their outside shooting. I believe UConn can put up alot more points then most teams they will face and because of that trying to defend UConn 5 on 5 would be very difficult. I am really looking forward to tomorrow nite. FWIW my 1 seeds are

SC
UConn
Indiana
Iowa
Creme's strategy of putting click bait out there to improve his marketing appears to be working. Charlie Creme has little or no influence on the selection committee.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
so the bracket isn’t released on Monday anymore? I thought Sunday was just for the men?
Not this year. The 2023 NCAA DI Women's Basketball March Madness bracket will be revealed during the Selection Show at 8 p.m. ET on Sunday, March 12 on ESPN.

Carnac

Reaction Score
For those who want a boiled down version of the of how the selection committee evaluates teams, this is from the NCAA's site:

Criteria used by the Division I Women’s Basketball Committee to evaluate a team includes (alphabetically):
  • Bad losses
  • Common opponents
  • Competitive in losses
  • Conference record
  • Head-to-head outcomes
  • NET ranking
  • Non-conference record
  • Observable component
  • Overall record
  • Significant wins
  • Strength of schedule
Throw it all into a blender, mix it up, then add personal bias... LOL (this last is my comment)
UConn is currently #2 in the NET. LSU is #3, which gives me some concern over the accuracy of the NET.
Thanks CT. EVERYBODY needs to read this.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Creme's strategy of putting click bait out there to improve his marketing appears to be working. Charlie Creme has little or no influence on the selection committee.
Those of us that have been in the yard for any length of time have come to be very leary and skeptical of anything ol' "good time Charlie" says. It's hard to believe he believes some of the things he writes. Like ESPN's Steven A. Smith, he likes to be controversial. It draws attention to him and his posts. I honestly believe he has a UConn bias. Tonyc makes some very concrete, objective, and cogent points in his narrative.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why all this angst about Charlie Creme? The poster who calls his stuff clickbait is exactly right. It may be interesting to read, but its purpose is the same as those screamers on Fox Sports and ESPN whose opinions are designed only to rile up the fans. some years Charlie gets it right and some he's way off. Now that the Selection Committee has periodic "reveals," he has become less relevant, and I think he realizes it. Think of him as entertainment that's only somewhat related to the Selection Committee reality.

Carnac

Reaction Score
For UConn, seedlings don’t really matter. 1,2, or 3 seed who cares. Just beat the teams on the schedule. When or where you play them really doesn’t matter.
That's what it's going to come down to. Play 'em one at a time. Concentrate and focus on the team in front of you. Don't look ahead. Tomorrow IS NOT promised. There will be a lot of upsets in this tournament. Just make sure you're not a "victim" of one of those upsets. :eek: I don't want to be in South Carolina's bracket. If we play them, I want it to be in Dallas.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

• Bad losses
  • Common opponents
  • Competitive in losses
  • Conference record
  • Head-to-head outcomes
  • NET ranking
  • Non-conference record
  • Observable component
  • Overall record
  • Significant wins
  • Strength of schedule
Excellent list. There’s some priorities to note in it. The starting point is NET, which also includes a few of the other factors within it, including SoS, quality of losses and wins, and overall record. The other factors determine how far they can or should depart from the NET rankings. Obviously, LSU will not get a #3 overall seed, for example. No one in their right mind would say the NET is perfect. But it is a starting point.

Reaction Score
so the bracket isn’t released on Monday anymore? I thought Sunday was just for the men?
The women's selection use to be on Monday but this year, they got the Sunday time slot as well. 8pm. Of course we don't get the full day of attention like the men's side. Heck I think they are only going give the women's side just an hout of coverage on Sunday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom