Concerns about Selection Sunday | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Concerns about Selection Sunday

Reaction Score
Gotta wonder whats goin on. I read Charlies remarks and I have to wonder because for me its very confusing. How can teams struggle in the second half of the season and lose to unranked teams and be thought to be a 1 seed. Why are some teams considered a 1 seed because they won their conference tournament and not UConn? If injuries and returning players play a part in deciding rankings how much better does it get having Azzi and Caroline back? The teams that struggled down the stretch pretty much had their starters on the floor. UConn didnt until the BET and in the BET UConn showed us a different much improved team. The team that dominated the BET is similar to the team that started the season.

Im not sure if its me but I have to wonder if there are anti UConn people trying to sway the rankings and the NCAA pairings? I mention that because of the pairings UConn faced last season. UConn had the tuffest road to the FF and made the Final game. Another concern is how the games will be called. That one you can think about. For me its a concern.

I look at this UConn team now and with Azzi and Caroline back and hopefully Griff we are balanced on both sides of the ball with great outside shooters, with bigs underneath and altogether they can all create their own shot and shoot at a very high percentage from the floor and at the line. Will opponents be good enough to guard and stop UConn? Will defenses play physical and that physicality not be called fouls? If we need to make foul shots who is better then Azzi and Lou and UConn as a team.

For these reasons I cant see UConn losing unless they have injuries or in big time foul trouble.

If UConn faces SC I believe our outside shooting could make the difference. I say that thinking of LVille beating a very good Griner/Baylor team with their outside shooting. I believe UConn can put up alot more points then most teams they will face and because of that trying to defend UConn 5 on 5 would be very difficult. I am really looking forward to tomorrow nite. FWIW my 1 seeds are

SC
UConn
Indiana
Iowa
I may have posted this before but I had a very close friend who left her corporate job to work in a university admissions office. She quickly became disenchanted because she realized that the plethora of criteria affecting admissions was really used to be able to make particular decisions largely subjective if so desired. She emphasized this was not the norm but that it was also utilized; neither rarely or frequently but it was applied.
Such is also the case with selections and seedings for both the mens and womens tournaments IMO. You can drive yourself crazy trying to figure it out either logically or fairly.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I just don't understand this obsession with seedings. What difference does it make?

Let's take the worst case scenario? UConn is seeded 2 or 3, in the same bracket with 1 seed South Carolina. Well, if UConn wants to be NC, they're going to have to play SC at some point anyway.

Remember the year Louisville upset a Griner led Baylor in the round of 8. Then UConn blew out Louisville in the Final. A better final would have been UConn Baylor, who beat UConn during the season. Is this really what some fans are hoping for?

I remember when I was coaching Youth travel soccer, we went to a tournament where the seedings were randomly drawn out of a hat. Some parents complained that we ended up in the strongest bracket ( of three brackets.) But, by knocking out the other strong teams, the semi-final was a breeze ( 8-0 I believe.) The final game was against another strong team in our group. We had previously lost to this team in group play, but it didn't matter because we were already in the final four. When we played them again, we knew who to mark, and we won the game 3 -1. But my point is, just play the games, win and advance.

Reaction Score
So how can Iowa be a 1 seed and UConn be a 2 based on head to head?

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Brackets released UConn position is ???

March Madness Basketball GIF by SportsManias

Reaction Score
Cheez. None the final seedlings have been announced and the forum is already in full complaint mode. Don’t worry about it. It will over soon when the real debating will begin. To answer some of the more prominent questions in this thread, the following is provided:

Regardless of what they preach the primary criteria the selection committee applies is to assign teams in the manner that will promote parity.
The rest of the criteria such as SOS, wins vs losses, away game records, the so-called body of work, the team’s record in the latter part of the season and what ever other criteria you can think of take a back seat to pushing parity.
The selection committee always goes into great detail about the criteria it applied during the one question and one partial answer period after the selections are announced. Listen carefully, the criteria changes every year.
For all of the newer members or those of us who have forgotten it’s called a conspiracy.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Why all this angst about Charlie Creme? The poster who calls his stuff clickbait is exactly right. It may be interesting to read, but its purpose is the same as those screamers on Fox Sports and ESPN whose opinions are designed only to rile up the fans. some years Charlie gets it right and some he's way off. Now that the Selection Committee has periodic "reveals," he has become less relevant, and I think he realizes it. Think of him as entertainment that's only somewhat related to the Selection Committee reality.
We like to "rag" on ol' "good time Charlie." He's low-hanging fruit. You're right. 90% of his comments are nothing more than click-bait, and often time we fall for it.

I know the screamers on Fox you're referring to. I never watch those clowns. Most of the time they're as relevant as a walking cane in a snowstorm. :eek:

Reaction Score
Funny how we look at seeding & brackets from an”elite” perspective.
There are so many teams who are first timers or otherwise not considered to have a legitimate chance of advancing too far.
But they jump at the chance to maybe fly across country to play a first round game against a heavily favored team on their home court.
Perhaps fly in and home the same day.
Whatever the ACTUAL brackets and pairing turn out to be, let’s have a little respect for whatever “cupcake” we draw first.
Chances are they will come to Storrs knowing they will be heavily outgunned in front of a hostile crowd.
But they will probably give it all they have even if it’s not enough at the final buzzer.
Whether the brackets are sensible or absurd, we have the talent & heart to be the last women standing.
If we can get & stay healthy, we can score & defend with anyone as long as we don’t succumb to the irrelevant noise & beat ourselves.
Geno has it exactly right.
Whoever UCONN draws and in whatever round, they have to win 6 games.
And they can’t win all 6 at one time.
Take care of business in game 1.
Then we can talk again.
Somebody, somewhere is going to be looking ahead or taking something for granted.
Then we’ll all be saying “WOW, can believe
(Fill in the blank) beat (fill in the blank)!?”
Best way to avoid that happening to the Huskies is to play EVERYONE like they are South Carolina.
IMHO

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Cheez. None the final seedlings have been announced and the forum is already in full complaint mode. Don’t worry about it. It will over soon when the real debating will begin. To answer some of the more prominent questions in this thread, the following is provided:

Regardless of what they preach the primary criteria the selection committee applies is to assign teams in the manner that will promote parity.
The rest of the criteria such as SOS, wins vs losses, away game records, the so-called body of work, the team’s record in the latter part of the season and what ever other criteria you can think of take a back seat to pushing parity.
The selection committee always goes into great detail about the criteria it applied during the one question and one partial answer period after the selections are announced. Listen carefully, the criteria changes every year.
For all of the newer members or those of us who have forgotten it’s called a conspiracy.
Forego, THIS is what the Boneyard likes to do. We like to piss, whine, moan, and complain about anything we think is not right, is unfair to us, or excludes or disrespects us. We're spoiled. That's who we are. Just as wealthy people are ok with living like they're rich, We're ok with complaining. Don't forget, this is our forum. We're complaining to each other, not to other fan bases' chatrooms/boards. We could win the national championship, and there would still be a few negative comments about how the team or various players played. :confused:

Reaction Score
Gotta wonder whats goin on. I read Charlies remarks and I have to wonder because for me its very confusing. How can teams struggle in the second half of the season and lose to unranked teams and be thought to be a 1 seed. Why are some teams considered a 1 seed because they won their conference tournament and not UConn? If injuries and returning players play a part in deciding rankings how much better does it get having Azzi and Caroline back? The teams that struggled down the stretch pretty much had their starters on the floor. UConn didnt until the BET and in the BET UConn showed us a different much improved team. The team that dominated the BET is similar to the team that started the season.

Im not sure if its me but I have to wonder if there are anti UConn people trying to sway the rankings and the NCAA pairings? I mention that because of the pairings UConn faced last season. UConn had the tuffest road to the FF and made the Final game. Another concern is how the games will be called. That one you can think about. For me its a concern.

I look at this UConn team now and with Azzi and Caroline back and hopefully Griff we are balanced on both sides of the ball with great outside shooters, with bigs underneath and altogether they can all create their own shot and shoot at a very high percentage from the floor and at the line. Will opponents be good enough to guard and stop UConn? Will defenses play physical and that physicality not be called fouls? If we need to make foul shots who is better then Azzi and Lou and UConn as a team.

For these reasons I cant see UConn losing unless they have injuries or in big time foul trouble.

If UConn faces SC I believe our outside shooting could make the difference. I say that thinking of LVille beating a very good Griner/Baylor team with their outside shooting. I believe UConn can put up alot more points then most teams they will face and because of that trying to defend UConn 5 on 5 would be very difficult. I am really looking forward to tomorrow nite. FWIW my 1 seeds are

SC
UConn
Indiana
Iowa
If we are going to bed in the final four, we have to beat someone good. I will be satisfied as long as UCONN is not in the same grouping as South Carolina.

Reaction Score
Creme's strategy of putting click bait out there to improve his marketing appears to be working. Charlie Creme has little or no influence on the selection committee.

To be more exact, Charlie Creme has NO influence on thE election committee. I don’t know why anyone gets concerned about what he is writing. He tries to follow the same criteria as the committee, but he really does not affect it at all.

Reaction Score
If we are going to bed in the final four, we have to beat someone good. I will be satisfied as long as UCONN is not in the same grouping as South Carolina.
Why don't you want to be in the same bracket as South Carolina?

Reaction Score
If we are going to be in the final four, we have to beat someone good
And a stated principle of the committee in bracket-setting is to make that someone's strength commensurate with what our performance has fairly earned.

A lot of the UConn fans that are being accused of whining or complaining simply want the path to the final four not to be unfairly impeded.

I would whine & complain with the best of them about this ideal fairness being achieved, except that I think the local variables when you come right down to that final matchup to get into the four transcend any objective measure of team strength. It's basically matchups, health, and how hot the team and individual players are at the moment. So, much as I'd like to get into the spirit of whining about UConn getting that perfectly fair opponent in the regional final (if form holds), I can't work up any enthusiasm about it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why don't you want to be in the same bracket as South Carolina?
If you wind up a 2 or 3 seed, you would not want to have to beat South Carolina to even make it to the Final Four, particularly when you have a streak of 14 straight Final Four appearances. Losing to South Carolina in the Final Four would be one thing, but them keeping us out of the Final Four would really hurt.

Reaction Score
If you wind up a 2 or 3 seed, you would not want to have to beat South Carolina to even make it to the Final Four, particularly when you have a streak of 14 straight Final Four appearances. Losing to South Carolina in the Final Four would be one thing, but them keeping us out of the Final Four would really hurt.
people are so obsessed with these "streaks" that really don't matter. What matters at Uconn is winning NATIONAL TITLES

Reaction Score
For those who want a boiled down version of the of how the selection committee evaluates teams, this is from the NCAA's site:

Criteria used by the Division I Women’s Basketball Committee to evaluate a team includes (alphabetically):
  • Availability of talent (injured or unavailable players)
  • Bad losses
  • Common opponents
  • Competitive in losses
  • Conference record
  • Early competition versus late competition
  • Head-to-head outcomes
  • NET ranking
  • Non-conference record
  • Observable component
  • Overall record
  • Regional Advisory Committee region rankings
  • Significant wins
  • Strength of schedule
Throw it all into a blender, mix it up, then add personal bias... LOL (this last is my comment)
UConn is currently #2 in the NET. LSU is #3, which gives me some concern over the accuracy of the NET.
What the heck does overall component mean?

Reaction Score
the selection committee may not read charlie, but they DO read the BY ... their opening statement is actually: "heres what Tonyc said"... :)
If they're using TonyC, you won't get any argument from me, so carry on selection committee!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom