Competition: Focus on South Carolina recruits, Tennessee is all hype. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Competition: Focus on South Carolina recruits, Tennessee is all hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have no problem with arguments or rebuttals but why do they have to be harsh? Would you be harsh towards our Duke friends for being optimistic about their talent-laden but underperforming teams?

With all due respect Nan, that's a false equivalency. To this day you can find truly disgusting comments regarding Geno on Tennessee boards that not one Tennessee fan objects to and that the moderators find acceptable enough to not only leave as is but also feel that it's not necessary to issue a warning to the poster. Now I understand that not all Tennessee fans agree with such views but none of them admonished the poster. They sat by in quiet complicity. I don't see similar gutter postings about Geno on Duke boards. And that's the difference. It's difficult to welcome, with open arms, your guest when you know what is being said behind your back and the total capitulation by their fan base.

Reaction Score
It is true the Summit is beyond belief.... complicity yes, and nary a word of peace to confront crazy postings..... but that is ok we have boneyard.....

and i love the democracy..... love the postings of others.... and i love the fervor of others with strong feelings for their team.....

I am glad they feel welcome here..... long live the boneyard

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
With all due respect Nan, that's a false equivalency. To this day you can find truly disgusting comments regarding Geno on Tennessee boards that not one Tennessee fan objects to and that the moderators find acceptable enough to not only leave as is but also feel that it's not necessary to issue a warning to the poster. Now I understand that not all Tennessee fans agree with such views but none of them admonished the poster. They sat by in quiet complicity. I don't see similar gutter postings about Geno on Duke boards. And that's the difference. It's difficult to welcome, with open arms, your guest when you know what is being said behind your back and the total capitulation by their fan base.
Have you seen LVFans9 or tennparker or stwain or bball90 make these comments? If not, why are you holding them responsible because there are jerks on the Summit? Through the years, there have been threads on the Boneyard complaining that Summitt says that "all UConn fans think...." when only a couple people have posted about whatever it is that has their panties in a bunch. How is this different, this taking our 4-5 respectful LV fans to task for what the Tin Foil Hatters say?

Think, guys, think who is really bothering you - and I mean by name. If those people post here on the Boneyard, well, they can be responded to in like but when our current Tennessee visitors treat you with civility and respect, why would you respond with rudeness?

It is still unbelievable to me that people defend their "right" to be rude to other people. As a person, not an admin, it astounds me that someone thinks they have a valid reason to be nasty to another human being. And as an admin, it bemuses me that UConn fans think that emulating the Tin Foil Hatters, with their sneering and condescension, is different, somehow more high road. It's not, btw.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wasn't condoning rudeness, I was offering an explanation for the reaction of some boneyarders to our Tennessee guests. I explicitly stated that "not all Tennessee fans agree with such views". What I will take our 3-4 respectful LV fans to task for is their (I believe, but I could be mistaken, that all of them post on VolNation) silence to absolutely contrived accusations against Geno.
"It is still unbelievable to me that people defend their rudeness to other people". I trust this is directed at myself. If I have been even remotely rude to any of our Tennessee guests, I will apologize profusely. Just show me the error of my ways.

Reaction Score
Have you seen LVFans9 or tennparker or stwain or bball90 make these comments? If not, why are you holding them responsible because there are jerks on the Summit? Through the years, there have been threads on the Boneyard complaining that Summitt says that "all UConn fans think...." when only a couple people have posted about whatever it is that has their panties in a bunch. How is this different, this taking our 4-5 respectful LV fans to task for what the Tin Foil Hatters say?

Think, guys, think who is really bothering you - and I mean by name. If those people post here on the Boneyard, well, they can be responded to in like but when our current Tennessee visitors treat you with civility and respect, why would you respond with rudeness?

It is still unbelievable to me that people defend their "right" to be rude to other people. As a person, not an admin, it astounds me that someone thinks they have a valid reason to be nasty to another human being. And as an admin, it bemuses me that UConn fans think that emulating the Tin Foil Hatters, with their sneering and condescension, is different, somehow more high road. It's not, btw.
thanks Nan. i really like conversing with the people on this board. UCONN is the team to beat right now and everyone is else just trying to put the pieces together in order to put up a real fight.
night all

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I occasionally check out Volnation, and it is a very different place from The Summitt. While there are a few vitriolic Geno haters there, the great majority of posts are reasonable and thoughtful. Most of the crazies must still be behind the Orange Curtain. And I find our non-Husky-fan guests to be assets to the BY.

Reaction Score
Have you seen LVFans9 or tennparker or stwain or bball90 make these comments?

No, I have not seen them make those comments. They are known to me for the company they keep (on the Summitt).

Reaction Score
ahem

I think you alluded to the fact that an effective offense has eluded Holly and her players in recent years.

(All in fun. I hope you have a season free of injuries.);)

Oh good grief, I need to proof read. I'm cringing at myself. ;) My hopes are the same for you as well.

Reaction Score
I frequent both Summitt and Boneyard boards (obviously Summitt more often) and they are very similar in content. Most threads are related to players, coaches, recruits, and alumni. There are a few posters from other fan bases including a UConn fan that is very respectful and does get some rude barbs thrown their way but a majority of us welcome back and forth banter. There are also cases sometimes of fans of other teams that get the trial membership and post a one time nasty message to us all because a thread does not contain what they want it to and then leave the board. The biggest similarity is that when either team is brought up there is a long discussion that usually follows. I will say that a majority of people on the Summitt may not like Geno but give him and UConn their due credit for all the success. From personal experience I know in the past when I explain my excitement about a player coming in I have sometimes been met with argument as if it was offensive to them for me to be excited for a player that could become very successful. That's when I start scratching my head... and that will sometimes result in a rude reply by me. I find a majority of poster to be quite respectful and I wouldn't bother coming back every now and then if I didn't think that.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
As the rankings show, 5 of the AAC's 10 member teams (50%) had lower-ranked scoring offenses than even the lowest-ranked member team of the SEC. Once you got past UConn and UL - the top 2 scoring teams last season - the ability of AAC teams to score dropped off substantially. Just data for consideration...

I agree with a lot of your points. However, those differences in conference offenses faced are pretty much offset by the non-conference offenses each team faced.

UConn played Duke, Maryland, Baylor, Stanford, and Penn State.

Outside of North Carolina, the GameCocks' non-conference offenses included:

Seton Hall (87), Charleston (126), Winthrop (151), Charlotte (153), USC (177), Savannah State (198), Louisiana Tech (229), San Diego St. (249), Charleston Southern (269), Clemson (309), South Carolina State (319), and NC Central (325).

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
No, I have not seen them make those comments. They are known to me for the company they keep (on the Summitt).
So you have no problem if a fan of another program is nasty to you because he doesn't like, say, TonyC's posts?

Reaction Score
Hello TP3..... I like to let sleeping dogs lie..... but I must say i disagree with your contention that Summiteers give Geno his due..... Most recently a couple of weeks ago, when I took a peek there..... many comments are still very angry..... including about things that have never been proven.....

I don't even want to go any further.... because I like the high road...... but I still see a lot of anger toward Geno especially (cheater, arrogant, no class, not doing things "the right way", not to mention the whole bag of apples regarding the 2007 charges filed by, and fervently believed by, Vol Nation).....

I love you guys when i meet you at the games...... i just wish the Summit weren't so bitter.... Rodney King "Can't we all get along?" I am glad we can on this forum..... Keep posting, love gettin' your take on things.

Reaction Score
I read, but do not post on Vol Nation. I find it for the most part very good. Like most boards you find an occasional dumb post. The visitors on this board are very respectful and are welcomed. Everyone is entitled to their opinion whether or not we agree with it. UCONN Fans can not expect fans of other teams not to be optimistic about their teams. Yes, I know sometimes their predictions do not come true, but to be fair neither do ours. I hope that these visitors continue to post here.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I have no problem with arguments or rebuttals but why do they have to be harsh? Would you be harsh towards our Duke friends for being optimistic about their talent-laden but underperforming teams?
I agree with Nan. Let me add the Tenn fans who post to this board have for the most part been just like any other fans. There heart for their team is just like the heart of all other fans. They are excited because they think they can compete with UConn just like ND fans did last season and just like Duke and Stanford fans did last season. We need to be respectful of them. Yes I dont like Tenn because Im still angry about what Tenn did to us with the 37 page report but I truly believe these fans come here as fans not to hurt UConn but to express there excitement for their team. There is good and bad in every fan, these fans seen to be good fans. Can we give them a chance and allow Nan and our mods to handle them if they get out of line just like she handles us.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I agree with Nan. Let me add the Tenn fans who post to this board have for the most part been just like any other fans. There heart for their team is just like the heart of all other fans. They are excited because they think they can compete with UConn just like ND fans did last season and just like Duke and Stanford fans did last season. We need to be respectful of them. Yes I dont like Tenn because Im still angry about what Tenn did to us with the 37 page report but I truly believe these fans come here as fans not to hurt UConn but to express there excitement for their team. There is good and bad in every fan, these fans seen to be good fans. Can we give them a chance and allow Nan and our mods to handle them if they get out of line just like she handles us.

Great post! I would give you multiple "likes" if I could.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Permit me to say what Nan is too polite or modest to say.

The BIG difference between the Boneyard and the Summitt (two t's) is the quality of the moderators, not the manners of the posters.

There is not now or ever has been the slightest indication that rude (or worse, much worse) Summitteers are monitored, let alone controlled by admonishments, reprimands, edits or deletions. It actually seems that the nasty posters are encouraged, not discouraged. I would be pleased if someone responsible could demonstrate that I am mistaken.

In sharp contrast is the tireless vigilance exercised by our Boneyard moderators, who relentlessly keep all of us (I should know!) in line. I confidently speak for many BY colleagues when I express my appreciation and admiration for our mods, even when I am scolded for an occasional intemperate or injudicious post.

So Nan, JS and Biff, we appreciate your dedication and success in making -- and keeping -- this Boneyard a model message board.

thumbs_up_bciy.jpg

Thank you.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I used to read the Summitt. I even posted comments maybe 3 times. I was always very careful to not say anything derogatory or disrespectful towards any ut posters. (That's not my style anyway.) Well let me tell you,
I was bad-mouthed beyond belief. What was really sad was some thought it was cute. I have never read or posted there again, and that was about 3 years ago. No since in beating your head against the wall. People can't change.

Reaction Score
This is right on. I'd be much more cordial toward our Tennessee visitors if they explained their views on the disgusting comments. How about it Tennessee fans? What are your feelings on the subject?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
This is right on. I'd be much more cordial toward our Tennessee visitors if they explained their views on the disgusting comments. How about it Tennessee fans? What are your feelings on the subject?

Where do you think our "good" (as in "welcomed here on the BY") Tennessee fans should express their displeasure?

Summitt? (Out will come the tars, feathers, and pitchforks.)

Here? (To what possible effect?)

Volnation? (Same Q as above.)

Email to moderator(s) of either TVol site? (Same Q as above.)
In other words, a sort of a Confessional for the sins of others, but a waste of time and band width as a practical matter.

Let's just (continue to) be cordial, OK?:)

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
No, the LV fans do not need to explain or apologize for the Tin Foil Hatters. A handful of UConn fans are being unreasonable about this.

Discrimination is action that denies social participation or human rights to categories of people based on prejudice. This includes treatment of an individual or group based on their actual or perceived membership in a certain group or social category, "in a way that is worse than the way people are usually treated".[1] It involves the group's initial reaction or interaction, influencing the individual's actual behavior towards the group or the group leader, restricting members of one group from opportunities or privileges that are available to another group, leading to the exclusion of the individual or entities based on logical or irrational decision making [2].

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
There is a great deal for Lady Vol fans to be excited about.
And I certainly don't object in any way to it being discussed on our board in an obviously so dedicated thread.
Folks that take a different view can take the positive action of just not opening it.

Lots of good players coming in led by Diamond D, for whom the worst that can be said about her is
"You sure wouldn't want to play against her when her shots are dropping"

I agree with Tony, for both Carolina teams (lets not give up just yet on the Northern version) and UTenn,
coaching is going to be paramount.

It may be even harder (and certainly carries greater responsibility) to be surrounded by a glut of talented athletes
than to coach an obviously deficient group.

Neither Holly nor Dawn has demonstrated that they can transform such uber-athletes into a championship caliber team.

I don't say they can't or won't but it hasn't happen to date.

If I were a betting man, I would give the nod to Holly; no demonstrable logic in my choice, just instinct.

But clearly, the injury bug is already affecting that team. Despite Swain's optimism on that point, I always let myself be surprised if a player returns at 100% from foot or knee injuries. In my calculations for UConn's upcoming campaign, I don't absolutely count on Morgan (or Gabby for that matter) to be 100% this season (as much as I so wish, for Morgan is one of my all-time favs).

Look for North Carolina (presently overlooked) to be the class of the 3. (You heard it first here).

Last edited:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
There is a great deal for Lady Vol fans to be excited about. Lots of good players coming in led by Diana D, for whom the worst that can be said about her is "You sure wouldn't want to play against her when her shots are dropping"

I think you meant Diamond D.

There is only one Diana!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member