Competition: Focus on South Carolina recruits, Tennessee is all hype. | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Competition: Focus on South Carolina recruits, Tennessee is all hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Interesting point about the current UCONN players being too young to know anything about the bad blood between TN & UCONN. The incoming freshmen were about 11 years old in 2007 when all the Maya stuff was accused and Pat discontinued the series. So the current players were 1-4 years older than that. Surely they were aware, or were made aware during the recruiting process...?

FWIW KLS wasn't born yet for the Tara/Rebecca tiff in 1995

Reaction Score
No, the LV fans do not need to explain or apologize for the Tin Foil Hatters. A handful of UConn fans are being unreasonable about this.

Discrimination is action that denies social participation or human rights to categories of people based on prejudice. This includes treatment of an individual or group based on their actual or perceived membership in a certain group or social category, "in a way that is worse than the way people are usually treated".[1] It involves the group's initial reaction or interaction, influencing the individual's actual behavior towards the group or the group leader, restricting members of one group from opportunities or privileges that are available to another group, leading to the exclusion of the individual or entities based on logical or irrational decision making [2].
Where do you think our "good" (as in "welcomed here on the BY") Tennessee fans should express their displeasure?

Summitt? (Out will come the tars, feathers, and pitchforks.)

Here? (To what possible effect?)

Volnation? (Same Q as above.)

Email to moderator(s) of either TVol site? (Same Q as above.)
In other words, a sort of a Confessional for the sins of others, but a waste of time and band width as a practical matter.

Let's just (continue to) be cordial, OK?:)

An interesting philosophical approach. When confronted with lies and slander, do nothing.
Now that you've given me the choice, I vote for 3 & 4 (VolNation and mods)
Would it be a popular post ? Not at all. Would it take a little bit of courage ? yes.
Of course this is assuming that they didn't really believe all those nasty things said about Geno in the first place.
Would it be a waste of time ? Only if the truth doesn't matter
You can only be accountable for yourself. However, If enough posters complained about obviously fabricated accusations, it would make a difference and you do have to start somewhere.

Reaction Score
Both USC and UT have much to prove this year to show that they belong on the big stage..... I am upping my TV package so that I can see USC this coming year....

The conjecture earlier this thread that said that UNC would best their other 2 rivals is interesting....

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
An interesting philosophical approach. When confronted with lies and slander, do nothing.
Now that you've given me the choice, I vote for 3 & 4 (VolNation and mods)
Would it be a popular post ? Not at all. Would it take a little bit of courage ? yes.
Of course this is assuming that they didn't really believe all those nasty things said about Geno in the first place.
Would it be a waste of time ? Only if the truth doesn't matter
You can only be accountable for yourself. However, If enough posters complained about obviously fabricated accusations, it would make a difference and you do have to start somewhere.
With all due respect, you're giving the crazy folk way more legitimacy than they deserve. I would bet a million dollars Geno hasn't lost one second of sleep because of the crazy ramblings of a handful of Tin Foil Hatters mumbling among themselves in the vain hope that they can keep some bizarre non-story alive. Haven't you noticed that the legitimate press completely ignores them? It knows that the lies perpetrated by a small number of sourpusses aren't worth pursuing. No one has paid attention to the crazy folk for the last 8 years except for the small number of UConn fans that, for some strange reason, think that the crazy folk will suddenly turn into rational beings and apologize.

As for the normal folks on the Summit, of course they ignored the Tin Foil Hatters. You can't argue with crazy and when crazy is sponsored by the person in charge, arguing with it can get you banned. So the normal people are stuck between a rock (putting up with nonsense so they can hang out with their fellow LV fans) and a hard place (putting up with harassment from angry UConn fans so they can hang out with fellow fans of women's basketball).

I have probably not changed the minds of any of the angry UConn fans (holding onto anger for that long is unhealthy for you, my friends) so I will say this: I won't permit visiting fans - of any team - to be harassed here on the Boneyard. The Summit may allow that type of behavior but I won't. It's against our rules so I am asking people to put their anger aside and treat all visitors with the same courtesy they extend to you. I will stop asking if the situation continues.

Last edited:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Fellow Boneyarders. My final comment about this thread.

dead-horse.gif

Last edited:
Reaction Score
First, where's the death certificate? Second: There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy Kibitizer.
Finally are you closing off the possibility of life after death?

In re UT Lady Vols, even the Phoenix rises from the ashes every thousand years, and I think that is probably dog years.

Reaction Score
With all due respect, you're giving the crazy folk way more legitimacy than they deserve. I would bet a million dollars Geno hasn't lost one second of sleep because of the crazy ramblings of a handful of Tin Foil Hatters mumbling among themselves in the vain hope that they can keep some bizarre non-story alive. Haven't you noticed that the legitimate press completely ignores them? It knows that the lies perpetrated by a small number of sourpusses aren't worth pursuing. No one has paid attention to the crazy folk for the last 8 years except for the small number of UConn fans that, for some strange reason, think that the crazy folk will suddenly turn into rational beings and apologize.

As for the normal folks on the Summit, of course they ignored the Tin Foil Hatters. You can't argue with crazy and when crazy is sponsored by the person in charge, arguing with it can get you banned. So the normal people are stuck between a rock (putting up with nonsense so they can hang out with their fellow LV fans) and a hard place (putting up with harassment from angry UConn fans so they can hang out with fellow fans of women's basketball).

I have probably not changed the minds of any of the angry UConn fans (holding onto anger for that long is unhealthy for you, my friends) so I will say this: I won't permit visiting fans - of any team - to be harassed here on the Boneyard. The Summit may allow that type of behavior but I won't. It's against our rules so I am asking people to put their anger aside and treat all visitors with the same courtesy they extend to you. I will stop asking if the situation continues.

I agree with you, visiting fans shouldn't be harassed.
ha·rass
[huh-ras, har-uh
thinsp.png
thinsp.png
s]
verb (used with object)
1. to disturb persistently; torment, as with troubles or cares; bother continually; pester; persecute.
2. to trouble by repeated attacks, incursions, etc., as in war or hostilities; harry; raid.

Maybe there have been postings that have been deleted that I haven't seen that qualify as harassment.
("if the situation continues" means to me that harassment has occurred)
But as far as what's still on the board, I don't see anything resembling harassment. If I am mistaken, please point them out to me and I will stand corrected.
As far as treating everyone equally (Courteously yes-equally no) I stand on the 3rd Boneyard Amendment (Well not an amendment and not a rule but....)
    • "We UConn fans like our players and team better than anyone else's and we don't have to be objective if we choose not to be. You can't force us to like your players, team, coach, whatever by endlessly cataloging their merits. There are objective people here who will discuss other teams in a positive light but there are other UConn fans who don't want to hear anything about other teams and that's OK. This is a UConn board for all kinds of UConn fans, objective and non-objective alike'.
    • That's the last I'll say on the subject. Kibitzer is right. If the horse wasn't dead before, it certainly is now.

Reaction Score
If I were a Vol fan, I would have great expectations, hopes, for the individual players, team and coach to have an excellent season, be injury free and grow ... these are my expectations, hopes for UConn ... and regardless what has happened in the last several years, this year is a new one ... lack of success may indeed befall Tennessee (or UConn) this upcoming season ... hopefully all will be well, will grow, for both teams ... and I really would like to see UConn play Tennessee, face to face, sometime this year ... I appreciate good-natured, sometimes critical and thought provoking, back and forth banter among opposing fans ...
I think that most people who saw the roster of players that Tennessee has had over the last five years would have had reason for optimism of at least making the Final Four year after year but sadly, the team has continually struggled to achieve that expectation. It appears that an occasional injury or two (which most teams end up having) has hurt them but more significantly the team chemistry or lack of it (along with coaching) has hurt them more. Geno has always strived to recruit not necessarily the very best players but the best team oriented players who could be melded into playing for team success rather than their own personal success. Maybe the Tennessee coaching staff just doesn't do a good enough job insuring that their players have the appropriate mind set to accomplish team goals. I wouldn't be surprised if Tennessee just continues on the path that they've been on for a long time. Even with Pat, I think they typically beat you because they were so much more talented than everyone else plus they had years of psychological advantage where some teams were beaten before they even stepped on the floor. Those days are gone though they continue to get very talented kids.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Fellow Boneyarders. My final comment about this thread.

View attachment 6243

thank you Kib...my thoughts exactly. I mean you can only repeat yourself so many times so many times. :p

Time to focus on the UConn Huskies and bring back the folks who are the heart of the Boneyard....just sayin'

Reaction Score
I will gladly lend my expertise in the arena of conflict resolution (free of charge) should any of theses TENN fans attempt to impersonate soccer hooligans.:p:D

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I think that most people who saw the roster of players that Tennessee has had over the last five years would have had reason for optimism of at least making the Final Four year after year but sadly, the team has continually struggled to achieve that expectation. It appears that an occasional injury or two (which most teams end up having) has hurt them but more significantly the team chemistry or lack of it (along with coaching) has hurt them more. Geno has always strived to recruit not necessarily the very best players but the best team oriented players who could be melded into playing for team success rather than their own personal success. Maybe the Tennessee coaching staff just doesn't do a good enough job insuring that their players have the appropriate mind set to accomplish team goals. I wouldn't be surprised if Tennessee just continues on the path that they've been on for a long time. Even with Pat, I think they typically beat you because they were so much more talented than everyone else plus they had years of psychological advantage where some teams were beaten before they even stepped on the floor. Those days are gone though they continue to get very talented kids.

In 2010 and 2011 I think Tennessee had the chemistry to make the Final Four, they just ran into road blocks. In 2010, the game against Baylor was close (Tennessee had a 5 point lead with under 8 min to go) and Griner exploded for a monster game (27 points, 10 blocks.) In 2011 Diggins had a huge night to propel an underrated ND past Tennessee (the same ND team that went on to upset 36-1 UCONN in the Final Four.)

Both of those years Tennessee was only a 3 loss team (32-3 and 34-3) and had balanced scoring, their shots just didn't fall in the Baylor/ND games and they couldn't stop the opponent's star player.

2012 was a struggle all season with Pat's illness, 2013 was a major overachieving year (nobody predicted Tennessee would win the SEC, make the Elite 8 and be a 2 seed) and 2014 was an underachieving year despite winning the SEC Tournament and getting a #1 seed.

Injuries have played a toll, as has lack of on court chemistry. I do believe that with Simmons gone, ball movement will be much better (or at the very least, there will be smarter players handling the ball than Simmons) and Tennessee will be successful. Tennessee returns everyone from its talented roster sans Simmons, plus they bring in 2 top 10 recruits in Tucker/Nared who could see ample time come mid season. Massengale was having a great season at point before her injury, Harrison is one of the best returning post players in the nation, Graves had a bad year but still put up 10/6, Russell should be healthy and was the #1 overall recruit...all the pieces are there, but I think Tennessee is 1 year away from being back in the Final Four.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I agree with you, visiting fans shouldn't be harassed.
ha·rass
[huh-ras, har-uh
thinsp.png
thinsp.png
s]
verb (used with object)
1. to disturb persistently; torment, as with troubles or cares; bother continually; pester; persecute.
2. to trouble by repeated attacks, incursions, etc., as in war or hostilities; harry; raid.

Maybe there have been postings that have been deleted that I haven't seen that qualify as harassment.
("if the situation continues" means to me that harassment has occurred)
But as far as what's still on the board, I don't see anything resembling harassment. If I am mistaken, please point them out to me and I will stand corrected.
As far as treating everyone equally (Courteously yes-equally no) I stand on the 3rd Boneyard Amendment (Well not an amendment and not a rule but....)
    • "We UConn fans like our players and team better than anyone else's and we don't have to be objective if we choose not to be. You can't force us to like your players, team, coach, whatever by endlessly cataloging their merits. There are objective people here who will discuss other teams in a positive light but there are other UConn fans who don't want to hear anything about other teams and that's OK. This is a UConn board for all kinds of UConn fans, objective and non-objective alike'.
    • That's the last I'll say on the subject. Kibitzer is right. If the horse wasn't dead before, it certainly is now.

+1

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It just gets old when you hear it every year and every year Tennessee doesn't live up to their expectations.
Sounds fine to me. They can talk all they want, as long as they don't win anything.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
This past season, in national team scoring offense rankings:

SEC: #14, #24, #47, #63, #76, #81, #93, #98, #110, #120, #191, #199, #201, #222

AAC: #10, #20, #162, #178, #198, #228, #259, #321, #333, #337

As the rankings show, 5 of the AAC's 10 member teams (50%) had lower-ranked scoring offenses than even the lowest-ranked member team of the SEC. Once you got past UConn and UL - the top 2 scoring teams last season - the ability of AAC teams to score dropped off substantially. Just data for consideration...
Probably because they had to play against UCONN and Louisville. ;)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So you have no problem if a fan of another program is nasty to you because he doesn't like, say, TonyC's posts?
17250d1374158354-you-heard-here-2nd-success-kid-meme-generator-hell-yes-6d68d4.jpg

Nan didn't use me as an example. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog