Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
The state of eastern football...the Preseason Coaches Poll was released...

Penn State, Rutgers, Syracuse, BC, Maryland...all received not one vote...

There are 51 teams with votes...

Northern Illinois, South Florida, Toledo, Marshall, Duke, Appalachian State, Pitt, Western Kentucky, San Diego State, and Navy - among others - garnered 81 votes.

WVU also did not receive a vote.

Weird post...

Northern Illinois, South Florida, Toledo, Marshall, Duke, Appalachian State, Pitt, Western Kentucky, San Diego State, and Navy - among others - garnered 81 votes.

This is a weird post. You note that WVU didn't get any votes to make your East Coast point, while pointing out that Marshall did. You are also not counting UNC as "east coast" nor a whole host of other schools (Miami, USF, UF, yes FSU) which are clearly east coast. You also don't include Navy for some reason. I can go on.

Reaction Score
I only incidentally listed WVU...after "eastern football" ....I did not say east coast.

Maybe I should have annotated upper east....

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
I only incidentally listed WVU...after "eastern football" ....I did not say east coast.

Maybe I should have annotated upper east....

Then are you going to include OSU, Pitt, Louisville, App State? I just don't understand what point you are trying to make.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

Then are you going to include OSU, Pitt, Louisville, App State? I just don't understand what point you are trying to make.

I took this one of two ways. Either Billy was saying NE football sucks, or there was an opening for a football power in the NE.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
There are rumors that FedEx is telling the B12 they would sponsor B12 championship for 20 years and pay Memphis' first two years of b12 payout if Memphis gets in. Seriously, if it is a spot between us and Memphis, CT better be doing everything as a state to match FedEx's offer.

I can't believe any private company would go to this length to help out a third rated community college. What would FedEx shareholders say about this? Is this legal? This is basically bribery.
Meh.....Come on....this is three months old, maybe more....here's an excerpt from an article from May on this FedEx crap....

Khator, however, isn't the only Big 12 expansion president that Gee has been in contact with.

On Feb. 24, Memphis president David Rudd penned a letter to Gee and copied Oklahoma president David Boren and Baylor president Ken Starr, the other two members of the composition committee, as well as former Big 12 board chairman and Kansas State president Kirk Schulz. In the letter, Rudd pledged that Memphis will make a $500 million investment in academic and athletic infrastructure over the next five years. Rudd also enclosed a letter from FedEx chairman Fred Smith, who stated that the delivery services giant headquartered in Memphis will be behind the school's Big 12 campaign.

"We strongly support the university's efforts to become a member of an expanded Big 12 athletic conference," Smith wrote to Rudd in a letter dated Feb. 23. "In support of [Memphis'] Big 12 aspirations, we have researched college conference sponsorships and are prepared to become a major Big 12 sponsor of football and basketball."

Smith also wrote that FedEx would be prepared to sponsor a Big 12 championship game.

"We believe the University of Memphis and the Big 12 are a great fit and hope our support will contribute to the University of Memphis becoming a member of this storied athletic conference in the near future," Smith wrote.

Here is the link to the full ESPN story: Big 12 drawing interest from Houston, Memphis

I can't wait for some decision, any decision....I keep saying I'm done peeking, but I can't help it. It'll be nice to be able to focus on complaining about our usual crap in here soon, one way or the other. Ugh. Productivity: Zero....Point.....Zero

Reaction Score
Another thing on these dumb FedEx promises.

Any "contribution" FedEx provides directly would be in the form of sponsorship or ad buys. They are not going to just hand a comically large 8-figure check to the B12 or Memphis.

A $10M sponsorship/ad buy commitment is not "worth" $10M. It's worth $10M MINUS whatever the 2nd-highest bidder would be willing to pay. If FedEx pays market rate, it's commitment is worth essentially NOTHING to the B12. And if someone else comes along who is willing to pay more, FedEx's commitment is worth less than nothing.

FedEx is a publicly-traded company. So they will never commit to paying more than the market rate for a sponsorship, for example, because that document would destroy them in a shareholder suit for misuse of company resources.

Given the company's fiduciary duties to its investors, FedEx can only make promises that have essentially no economic value.

Reaction Score
I took this one of two ways. Either Billy was saying NE football sucks, or there was an opening for a football power in the NE.

Right now...northeastern football does....Penn State, Syracuse, Boston College, Rutgers...not horrible teams, but not good teams.

Penn State can pull up, I'm not sure about the rest.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
Another thing on these dumb FedEx promises.

Any "contribution" FedEx provides directly would be in the form of sponsorship or ad buys. They are not going to just hand a comically large 8-figure check to the B12 or Memphis.

A $10M sponsorship/ad buy commitment is not "worth" $10M. It's worth $10M MINUS whatever the 2nd-highest bidder would be willing to pay. If FedEx pays market rate, it's commitment is worth essentially NOTHING to the B12. And if someone else comes along who is willing to pay more, FedEx's commitment is worth less than nothing.

FedEx is a publicly-traded company. So they will never commit to paying more than the market rate for a sponsorship, for example, because that document would destroy them in a shareholder suit for misuse of company resources.

Given the company's fiduciary duties to its investors, FedEx can only make promises that have essentially no economic value.

Right. The impact is delta, and if they pay above market they have fiduciary issues, if not it's useless. Also, this is probably why the networks are pissed...this doesn't help them one bit.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Right now...northeastern football does....Penn State, Syracuse, Boston College, Rutgers...not horrible teams, but not good teams.

But why say it? It seems like extraneous information and it looks like you are saying that UConn doesn't belong because NE football sucks. No matter how it was intended, it wasn't part of the conversation and you provided it with explanation.

dayooper

Reaction Score

BTW - BC football does suck and their greatest asset is gone.

Reaction Score
Yeah I'm not sure that's a premium/platinum tweet. 100% pure speculation (I know a lot of this forum is exactly that.)
Yeah I fahked up. Saw 4k + followers and blew my load on the copy and paste. My bad.

Reaction Score
If Memphis gets in the Big 12 look for each Big 12 president to have 100 deposits over the next two years equaling $9999 per deposit.
It would have to be lower than $9999. Multiple deposits of $9999 may buy a spot in the Big 12, but it will also buy you a visit from some of the federal government's finest.

Reaction Score
It would have to be lower than $9999. Multiple deposits of $9999 may buy a spot in the Big 12, but it will also buy you a visit from some of the federal government's finest.

I thought under $10k was good.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
1. None of the expansion candidates is a property whose sporting events, namely football, are worth anything remotely close to $20 million. Houston, Cincinnati, BYU, UConn, Memphis...I mean, those are the good expansion candidates, and none of them has sports content worth close to half of $20 million annually.

Uh, no. In the free market we'd easily be able to get over $10M. Would be get to a full $20M? Don't know but it would be close and that's essentially shopping all the content as tier 3 content. Please stop lumping us in with Memphis and Houston. Cinci is a reach as well but not as bad. BYU's football has value.

$2.50 x 12 x 1M = $30M

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I thought under $10k was good.

You are correct. Except the Fed also looks for multiple deposits of amounts near the $10k limit as a form of money laundering and possible tax evasion.

Plenty of examples available via Google search.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Not a tweet but I got an alert on my phone from the ESPN app this morning and my heart skipped a beat thinking it was about CR news. (This being one of the days bandied about as a day the news might break.) Instead it was to tell me Mark Teixeira would be retiring from the Yankees at the end of the season. Big sigh of relief.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Matt's Tramel interview summary.

Largely positive:

BYU and Connecticut are best in terms of national market.

Connecticut is in the biggest state in the union without flagship in the P5

Outside of geography, UConn meets Big 12 model. Flagship school, etc.

UConn definitely in the running.

BYU/Houston/Cinci and Connecticut are Tramel's top 4.

OU interested in playing in Boston or Meadowlands.

Football prowess is a problem, more so than geography. Don't want another Kansas. If it were 6 years ago UConn would have a much better case.

Possible that Memphis could buy its way in, but that would mean that Big 12 is dead.

OU doesn't want to be in a conference with Memphis

Memphis has nothing go for it other than two good years with a QB and coach that aren't there anymore. No academics, no fans, no stadium.

Possible that expansion could be done for 2017.

Tramel thinks Big 12 will expand, but in 2025 OU won't be in league, possibly UT, OSU and TT as well.

If 4: BYU, Houston, Cinci, UConn

If 2: BYU, Cinci. UConn's football pushes it below Cinci.​

Reaction Score
RE: Mark Blaudschun's post

My take: pure garbage. He's just making stuff up. While the Big 12 may ultimately decide to take 2 schools, if they do so they're going to take two in the same direction. I think it's Cincy/UConn if they go with only two. They're not going to create additional islands.

It'll be in order of likelihood:

UConn/Cincy
Cincy/Memphis
Cincy/Houston
BYU/CSU
BYU/Cincy

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
On the other hand, some clown's post on Reddit is not premium in any way.

Reaction Score
RE: Mark Blaudschun's post

My take: pure garbage. He's just making stuff up. While the Big 12 may ultimately decide to take 2 schools, if they do so they're going to take two in the same direction. I think it's Cincy/UConn if they go with only two. They're not going to create additional islands.

It'll be in order of likelihood:

UConn/Cincy
Cincy/Memphis
Cincy/Houston
BYU/CSU
BYU/Cincy

To follow up I think there's just too many problems with Memphis/Houston/BYU to take them without going to four. The BYU/Cincy combo may be the one exception, but I just don't see it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom