Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets

Reaction Score
According to sources familiar to the situation, the Big 12 Conference has contacted the University of Connecticut to discuss setting up a meeting to gauge the school’s interest in joining the Big 12. Big 12 officials have reportedly sent similar messages to several other schools.

Okay. I hate to be that guy, but wasn't this exactly what they said they'd do at the last Big 12 meeting? Blauds didn't say it was an invite, just that reached out to us. The real question is whether this is old news or not. If it is then... *yawn*. If it isn't then why didn't this contact happen sooner, if we are considered a top candidate? Also, it seemed like the teams had already been picked. So if the meeting hadn't taken place before, is this the result of ESPN saying "Memphis?! What are you kidding me? Take the best available schools you idiots!"

So you're saying the B12 may have reached out to whatever group of potential schools they were interested in that DID NOT include UCONN and NOW they come to UCONN??? I don't buy it. Sorry.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I'd gladly stack our last 10 years of football up against Memphis and USF.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So you're saying the B12 may have reached out to whatever group of potential schools they were interested in that DID NOT include UCONN and NOW they come to UCONN??? I don't buy it. Sorry.
Yet the gauging interest language is identical to what they said at the end of the Big 12 meetings. And all we heard up to now was that Benedict was preparing a pitch, not making a pitch.

I'm obviously routing for an invite, but I just a little cautious about reading more into these statements than they actually say.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Rumors have that the XII had a few different four team packages for the Presidents to review. If true, UCONN was certainly listed on at least one of those lists.

I can believe that an initial straw poll of these hayseeds resulted in a Non UCONN list of 4 getting some shine, at which point someone passed that info on to the networks. Whether this was with the XII sanction or some party's wtf reaction in leaking it to the networks to set off Daddys wrath, isn't important. The Nets clearly had a problem with Memphis or whatever list was presented to them.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If the Networks have a say (and I find it impossible that they don't. ATEOTD it is their money the BXII is playing with), they cannot in good conscience accept Memphis as one of the additions. Memphis has a new Football AND Men's Basketball coach and the quarterback that that brought them their greatest success is now in the NFL.

Off the field, Unless Fred Smith, Tate Smith, or whatever Daddy FedEx Warbucks' real name is, unless he plans on donating $250 mil/year, I can't see either FOX or ESPN being agreeable. They want a regular harvest of greenbacks, not a bumper crop.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Rumors have that the XII had a few different four team packages for the Presidents to review. If true, UCONN was certainly listed on at least one of those lists.

I can believe that an initial straw poll of these hayseeds resulted in a Non UCONN list of 4 getting some shine, at which point someone passed that info on to the networks. Whether this was with the XII sanction or some party's wtf reaction in leaking it to the networks to set off Daddys wrath, isn't important. The Nets clearly had a problem with Memphis or whatever list was presented to them.

Maybe the initial list passed to the networks included Houston, "supported" by UT. If so, UT did what they had to do politically, but Houston, and possibly Memphis, became a sacrificial lamb when the networks threw their fit, clearing the way for the real list of candidates to be presented including UConn, BYU, Cinci and one of the FL directionals.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Some of you are really struggling with a basic concept here.

Important Tweet - Good.

Your comments - Bad. Very bad.

Let's try this again...
Hey Fishy, would you please pin this thread at the top as well? Thank you

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Seth Greenberg is a dumb ass two Florida schools? The ability of these idiots to contradict themselves in 140 characters is startling.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Jacobs's quote of Malloy -

"It's no surprise that there is a lot of attention being paid to UConn and the potential for a conference move," Malloy answered in an email. "UConn would offer any conference a very unique combination of academic excellence and strong geographic positioning that spans the greater Northeast, including New York. The school's 21 national championships, including eight in the last five years, speak for themselves. And as all of us know, Husky fans are some of the best in the nation. We've communicated closely with UConn and we will continue to provide support to the university in any way possible to make this happen, while remaining respectful of the conferences and their process."

There's two camps in the 'yard - those who want the politicians to get involved and make public statements like the way the Texas and OH governor (and the Greenvile, N.C. city council) have done, and those who think CT politicians should keep their damb mouths shut. The first camp will be somewhat pleased and the second will be pissed.

Reaction Score

There's two camps in the 'yard - those who want the politicians to get involved and make public statements like the way the Texas and OH governor (and the Greenvile, N.C. city council) have done, and those who think CT politicians should keep their damb mouths shut. The first camp will be somewhat pleased and the second will be pissed.

Disagree. Did you read what was written in the email? It was obviously written by someone within the AD's office and they probably gave him the go ahead to respond with it.

Reaction Score
What if FOX is sucker punching ESPN? Fox wants to upgrade it's eastern inventory and is getting ESPN to foot half the bill.

If we are sucker punching...combine that with the AAC losing two or three teams and their contract with ESPN being void. Would this not open up the AAC's rights to be bid on by other networks?

Reaction Score
What if FOX is sucker punching ESPN? Fox wants to upgrade it's eastern inventory and is getting ESPN to foot half the bill.
Fox would be donkey punching espn, not sucker punching them.

Reaction Score
Big 12 contacts Connecticut to discuss possible interest in expansion

"NEWPORT, R.I.–According to sources familiar to the situation, the Big 12 Conference has contacted the University of Connecticut to discuss setting up a meeting to gauge the school’s interest in joining the Big 12."

discuss setting up a meeting to gauge interest...YES YES YES!!!!! it just sounds silly when we've been following this shinola for what years now?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Camp 3 - those who think a quiet conversation with ESPN expressing our appreciation for whatever they can do for us could be helpful.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Seth Greenberg is a dumb ass two Florida schools? The ability of these idiots to contradict themselves in 140 characters is startling.

Seth coached at USF. Apparently he still has a green-and-gold pom pom in his closet.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Big 12 contacts Connecticut to discuss possible interest in expansion

"NEWPORT, R.I.–According to sources familiar to the situation, the Big 12 Conference has contacted the University of Connecticut to discuss setting up a meeting to gauge the school’s interest in joining the Big 12."

discuss setting up a meeting to gauge interest...YES YES YES!!!!! it just sounds silly when we've been following this shinola for what years now?

Yes, but the trip from Dallas to Hartford is so arduous it has taken them this long to plan it.

Reaction Score
Camp 3 - those who think a quiet conversation with ESPN expressing our appreciation for whatever they can do for us could be helpful.

I hope you're right.

UConnNick

Reaction Score

At the end of which we gently suggest that their failure to render such assistance will result in us calling in a strategic bomb strike on the old Y intersection of Birch and Middle Streets in Bristol, which will require a complete relocation of their entire broadcast facilities, along with full replacement of a boat load of satellite dishes. I believe it was once referred to as making an offer they can't refuse.

pj

Reaction Score

Not only gaining eastern inventory -- adding UCF/USF creates competition for ESPN's Florida monopoly with SEC & ACC / Florida FSU Miami. Fox could induce B12 to sabotage ESPN with a Florida expansion by promising them a competitive contract after the current one expires. Then B12 gets the pro rata gain to 14, and has a good Fox contract with presence in Florida plus two northern markets. If the new teams grow their following, Fox takes market share from ESPN and B12 might one day have a large enough following to justify a network.

Reaction Score
At the end of which we gently suggest that their failure to render such assistance will result in us calling in a strategic bomb strike on the old Y intersection of Birch and Middle Streets in Bristol, which will require a complete relocation of their entire broadcast facilities, along with full replacement of a boat load of satellite dishes. I believe it was once referred to as making an offer they can't refuse.
I work very close to that intersection. Can you please let me know if and when it'll happen. I'd like to not be here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom