Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Commentary Thread for Premium Top-Shelf Tweets

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Jacobs's quote of Malloy -

There's two camps in the 'yard - those who want the politicians to get involved and make public statements like the way the Texas and OH governor (and the Greenvile, N.C. city council) have done, and those who think CT politicians should keep their damb mouths shut. The first camp will be somewhat pleased and the second will be pissed.
I don't think the Malloy could have said anything better - and I am typically in the "shut your mouth!" camp. Well done!

Reaction Score
1. None of the expansion candidates is a property whose sporting events, namely football, are worth anything remotely close to $20 million. Houston, Cincinnati, BYU, UConn, Memphis...I mean, those are the good expansion candidates, and none of them has sports content worth close to half of $20 million annually.

Uh, no. In the free market we'd easily be able to get over $10M. Would be get to a full $20M? Don't know but it would be close and that's essentially shopping all the content as tier 3 content. Please stop lumping us in with Memphis and Houston. Cinci is a reach as well but not as bad. BYU's football has value.

Quoting this over here so I don't mess up that thread with commentary...

It's amazing the stink you collect when you roll around in G5 for a while. We were a respected program not long ago, now this is the common narrative. And it's because of the American and the G5/P5 distinction. People didn't thumb their noses at us back when the Big East was intact.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1. None of the expansion candidates is a property whose sporting events, namely football, are worth anything remotely close to $20 million. Houston, Cincinnati, BYU, UConn, Memphis...I mean, those are the good expansion candidates, and none of them has sports content worth close to half of $20 million annually.

Uh, no. In the free market we'd easily be able to get over $10M. Would be get to a full $20M? Don't know but it would be close and that's essentially shopping all the content as tier 3 content. Please stop lumping us in with Memphis and Houston. Cinci is a reach as well but not as bad. BYU's football has value.

Reaction Score

This crazy that people type this and they're basically saying that Rutgers, Wake Forest, BC athletics etc would be worth more than UConn's in the open market. It is mind boggling this gets said, and the "grand fathered" argument doesn't hold wait if the discussion is about worth in an open market.

Reaction Score
That latest Chip Brown article seems to put Memphis in the lead for the 4th spot by buying their way in. It is just plain disturbing. Beginning to think this is going to be the nutkick to end all nutkicks.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
That latest Chip Brown article seems to put Memphis in the lead for the 4th spot by buying their way in. It is just plain disturbing. Beginning to think this is going to be the nutkick to end all nutkicks.
These guys need something to write about to attract licks and appease their advertisers. They don't know anymore today than they did on Monday.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
After reading 99's post on the platinum thread...

"This popped up on Rotoworld, of all places:

"The Dallas Morning News' Chuck Carlton reports that no school being considered for Big 12 expansion has drawn the required eight votes to join the conference.

While Carlton relayed that the Big 12 has yet to truly settle on its expansion targets yet, he additionally noted that "in-depth discussions and inevitable horse trading haven't really begun yet." He is also hearing that a football-only invite to the conference is unlikely, with a source telling him, "Nobody wants it." Last week, it was reported that BYU would consider joining the Big 12 on a football-only basis, but if Carlton's source is on-point, that might no longer be a realistic possibility. Aug. 4 - 12:16 pm ET"

Source: Five industry sources weigh in on top candidates to join Big 12; ESPN and Fox not thrilled with expansion talks | SportsDay"

I feel like I'm watching the Papal Conclave. Will the smoke be National Flag Blue and White?

upload_2016-8-4_13-24-13.jpeg

Reaction Score
After reading 99's post on the platinum thread...

"This popped up on Rotoworld, of all places:

"The Dallas Morning News' Chuck Carlton reports that no school being considered for Big 12 expansion has drawn the required eight votes to join the conference.

While Carlton relayed that the Big 12 has yet to truly settle on its expansion targets yet, he additionally noted that "in-depth discussions and inevitable horse trading haven't really begun yet." He is also hearing that a football-only invite to the conference is unlikely, with a source telling him, "Nobody wants it." Last week, it was reported that BYU would consider joining the Big 12 on a football-only basis, but if Carlton's source is on-point, that might no longer be a realistic possibility. Aug. 4 - 12:16 pm ET"

Source: Five industry sources weigh in on top candidates to join Big 12; ESPN and Fox not thrilled with expansion talks | SportsDay"

I feel like I'm watching the Papal Conclave. Will the smoke be National Flag Blue and White?

View attachment 14843

Hmmmm... "horse trading haven't really begun yet".

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Hmmmm... "horse trading haven't really begun yet".

It would be pretty funny if he used that term on purpose because Flugaur always says it just to mess with us.

I had never heard the term in my live before a week or two ago.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Really? Horse trading has been around for awhile. Probably for as long as there have been horses.

More likely it's been around as long as there were horse traders.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Re: @noeynox post on platinum tweets regarding adding 3 teams..

There's only 3 current programs that fit a P5 profile and that's UConn, BYU, and Cincinnati.

Maybe that's a network and league compromise?

Edit: nevermind. Just read the string of tweets and the guy is implying Baylor would be kicked out. Highly doubt that.

Reaction Score
It amazes me how dysfunctional the B12 leadership is, and how effed up this entire process is. Really amazes me. The B1G, SEC, P12, and even the ACC, while there may have been a couple rumblings/leaks about expansion, they all handled their business behind closed doors for the most part, and then it was communicated it came with appearances of unified conference leadership (any disagreements or dissent remained behind closed doors). The B12 is an absolute horror show. It was with the WVU and TCU adds to a lesser degree, it was with the 4 defections which led to those adds, and right when you thought they can't get any lower... that they hit rock bottom... they pulled out jack hammers/shovels and started to dig.

Don't get me wrong, I pray that we get an invite because we are so friggin desperate, but the way this whole thing has been handled by these so called leaders is frightening.

Reaction Score
Re: @noeynox post on platinum tweets regarding adding 3 teams..

There's only 3 current programs that fit a P5 profile and that's UConn, BYU, and Cincinnati.

Maybe that's a network and league compromise?

Edit: nevermind. Just read the string of tweets and the guy is implying Baylor would be kicked out. Highly doubt that.

Yeah I'm not sure that's a premium/platinum tweet. 100% pure speculation (I know a lot of this forum is exactly that.)

Reaction Score
There are rumors that FedEx is telling the B12 they would sponsor B12 championship for 20 years and pay Memphis' first two years of b12 payout if Memphis gets in. Seriously, if it is a spot between us and Memphis, CT better be doing everything as a state to match FedEx's offer.

I can't believe any private company would go to this length to help out a third rated community college. What would FedEx shareholders say about this? Is this legal? This is basically bribery.

Reaction Score
There are rumors that FedEx is telling the B12 they would sponsor B12 championship for 20 years and pay Memphis' first two years of b12 payout if Memphis gets in. Seriously, if it is a spot between us and Memphis, CT better be doing everything as a state to match FedEx's offer.

I can't believe any private company would go to this length to help out a third rated community college. What would FedEx shareholders say about this? Is this legal? This is basically bribery.

Yeah, I don't think you're going to see FedEx just cutting checks to UMemphis. Sponsoring the championship game is one thing, but there are plenty potential sponsors for a Big 12 title game.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I don't think you're going to see FedEx just cutting checks to UMemphis. Sponsoring the championship game is one thing, but there are plenty potential sponsors for a Big 12 title game.
Exactly. FedEx is acting like they'd be doing the Big 12 a favor or something. A hundred companies would want to sponsor that game. And my money is on a Texas-based company winning out in the bidding.

And not only that, what good is a 20 year sponsorship deal when OU and Texas are probably planning on leaving in 8 years?

The 2 year payout to Memphis seems....not realistic. Either way, I find it hard to believe saying "hey, we're worthless, we know we're worthless, but we'll come for free for 2 years" is what's going to get yourself into a P5 conference.

But what do I know.

Reaction Score
If Memphis gets in the Big 12 look for each Big 12 president to have 100 deposits over the next two years equaling $9999 per deposit.

Reaction Score
The state of eastern football...the Preseason Coaches Poll was released...

Penn State, Rutgers, Syracuse, BC, Maryland...all received not one vote...

There are 51 teams with votes...

Northern Illinois, South Florida, Toledo, Marshall, Duke, Appalachian State, Pitt, Western Kentucky, San Diego State, and Navy - among others - garnered 81 votes.

WVU also did not receive a vote.

Reaction Score

Yeah, Memphis will buy their way in, then immediately proceed to be more irrelevant than Kansas football in that conference for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It amazes me how dysfunctional the B12 leadership is, and how effed up this entire process is. Really amazes me. The B1G, SEC, P12, and even the ACC, while there may have been a couple rumblings/leaks about expansion, they all handled their business behind closed doors for the most part, and then it was communicated it came with appearances of unified conference leadership (any disagreements or dissent remained behind closed doors). The B12 is an absolute horror show. It was with the WVU and TCU adds to a lesser degree, it was with the 4 defections which led to those adds, and right when you thought they can't get any lower... that they hit rock bottom... they pulled out jack hammers/shovels and started to dig.

Don't get me wrong, I pray that we get an invite because we are so friggin desperate, but the way this whole thing has been handled by these so called leaders is frightening.
They've gotten pretty tight lipped lately...

Reaction Score
Exactly. FedEx is acting like they'd be doing the Big 12 a favor or something. A hundred companies would want to sponsor that game. . . .

The 2 year payout to Memphis seems....not realistic.

This x 100. Promises of FedEx $$$ are fool's gold.

They already ran this con once with the BE/AAC. FedEx's CEO loudly threw out $10M a year as the amount FedEx was potentially willing to contribute to a BCS conference that took Memphis.

FedEx never quite got around to putting that in writing though. And as soon as the Tigers actually got into the Big East, the company quickly backed away. The week Memphis was added, FedEx said that it had no actual signed contracts with the league and that was pretty much that.

It should not be hard for the B12 to figure out what a waste of everyone's time FedEx's empty preening is.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom