NCAA Championships
Texas - 44
Oklahoma - 25
UConn - 21
WVA - 19
Houston - 17
ISU - 14
BYU - 10
Cinci - 2 (last one in 1962, first one in 1961)
Memphis - 0

Memphis' trophy case looks very similar to Rutgers'.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
On the Temple link. It is technically correct that one, two or three times won't decimate the AAC. That's only because of the actual definition of 'decimate'.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
What it might decimate is the television contract.

Losing two of UConn, Houston or Cincinnati is grounds to blow it up.

justinslot

Boneyard Rutgers/Temple lurker
Reaction Score
I believe Temple is also one of the teams whose departure would cause the contract to self-destruct. UConn and Cincy were thought to be the next to go, and I guess Houston and Temple have two huge markets.

I'm glad someone at Temple is talking about the Big XII (re: the article in the top shelf tweets thread) and I think we would be a good add in a little more rational universe (big city, untapped college football fandom.) Paying rent at the Linc wouldn't be an issue if we had some of that sweet network welfare, so Texas and Oklahoma could come play at a sold out NFL stadium. And we'd be a nice bridge between WVU and UConn!

(Not getting my hopes up in any meaningful way, of course.)

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I believe Temple is also one of the teams whose departure would cause the contract to self-destruct. UConn and Cincy were thought to be the next to go, and I guess Houston and Temple have two huge markets.

The "A" schools are UConn, Cincy, Temple and Houston. The "B" schools are everyone else.

If two A's or one A and one B leave, the contract terminates. If two B's leave, the contract will be renegotiated.

No offense to Temple, but I think the current American Conference is their high water mark. No expansion is your best outcome.

Reaction Score
If we don't get accepted into the Big 12, be prepared for more the presence of more corporate ads. It is inevitable. Sun Belt, MAC, C-USA will have to end up taking that route. Corporate sponsorship of college sporting events and arenas was just the start.

Temple would be wise to stay in the AAC if possible and continue to build up football more. They have too long a way to go to compete anytime soon in the Big 12.

Reaction Score
My sources tell me that if you behave and abide by the rules, you gain access to the pinnacle, the extremely elusive, double secret diamond working group thread. aka, Invitation Tweet Thread!

Temple is willing to talk to the Big 12. That is mighty generous of them. That was always my very dark horse pick. UConn and Temple, think Giants, Eagles, Cowboys. People might confuse them with Texas Tech though, logo-wise.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
It's not an uncommon topic, and UCONN is always mentioned as a possibility. In fact they were a strong candidate during the original rounds of re-alignment but Boston College blocked them from joining because of some dormant ill-will and the desire to own the New England market. But it's time to stop being a petulant child, because truth be told, going winless in ACC football and basketball isn't helping anybody. Adding UCONN helps everyone.

Good to see fans of some other programs understand this, even if some posters on the BY don't.

This would have been discussed during the network talks. If not specifically UConn, the various options involving ND or XII refugees. The author'a divisions make perfect sense to me, ACC vs Non-Catholic Big East. Seems like that's what it was always meant to be. But, I'm biased.

The AAC contract has no where to go, so this shouldn't affect them until it is time to re-up. $2M for however many games is still a bargain. They'll be fine, they just won't get a chance to get a bigger deal.

Problem with this fantasy is forcing ND into the ACC. That won't happen until they get bypassed for the CFP, maybe it will take a few times.

If CFB is the cabal we all believe it to be, then what the P5 teams need to do is stop giving ND a schedule they can use for access. It requires some restraint and collusion that a squad like say, RU, wouldn't pass up. Same the B1G.

If ND's schedule is 5 vs ACC, navy USC and 5 scrubs, then they won't have the schedule to force their way in with 1 loss depending on who the ACC teams are.

They could also limit the CFP to conference champions and just get it over with.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
The "A" schools are UConn, Cincy, Temple and Houston. The "B" schools are everyone else.

If two A's or one A and one B leave, the contract terminates. If two B's leave, the contract will be renegotiated.

No offense to Temple, but I think the current American Conference is their high water mark. No expansion is your best outcome.
Ugh. I completely forgot about this.

Well, maybe we can get our Tier 3 back in the next contract.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Sounds like espn wants to continue to get the quality content provided by the AAC, at bargain basement prices and Fox is about to upset their Apple cart.

FOX needs content. Would have been nice for them to bid up the AAC when they had the chance. Even if ESPN matched, it would have paid dividends, perception-wise, if not just in terms of revenue.

Reaction Score
Uconn fb only to Big 12 makes sense, if we end up in Big East basketball under fox. We would drive up the fox ratings for the BE ball men and women.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Uconn fb only to Big 12 makes sense, if we end up in Big East basketball under fox. We would drive up the fox ratings for the BE ball men and women.
It makes sense to FOX, but not the Big XII. Why wouldn't the Big XII want UConn basketball?

Reaction Score
It makes sense to FOX, but not the Big XII. Why wouldn't the Big XII want UConn basketball?
Oh I agree, but if Fox wants eastern content, and they have Eastern content in the Big East struggling to get ratings, I could see fox pushing UCONN to the Big 12 and calming the fears of travel of Olympic sports with one motion.

Reaction Score
Oh I agree, but if Fox wants eastern content, and they have Eastern content in the Big East struggling to get ratings, I could see fox pushing UCONN to the Big 12 and calming the fears of travel of Olympic sports with one motion.
The BE ratings on Fox have been a disaster...I can se Fox cutting that cord when the contract is up...in fact I wouldn't be surprised if that date is circled on a calendar some wirer at Fox Sports.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The idea that any league would want our football and not our basketball is otherworldly. If we get in, we are bringing everybody with us, women's tennis and all.

Reaction Score
I don't like that new set of tweets re Benedict. I like the mention of the academic profile, but then he goes into saying that decisions have been based on the last 10 years or so and there is nothing he can do to change that. I liked his "no comment" better.

I'm hoping that we hear nothing from a Connecticut politician, and Aresco talks about UConn championships (the conference will claim those for as long as they can), but not how strong UConn is going forward.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I guess what can you realistically expect Benedict to say.

It makes me nervous saying he cant change the past 10 years, why can't he come out and highlight our 2 national titles, 3 final fours and 2 BCS level conference titles.

Almost seems like a built in excuse and it makes me nervous when an outsider is in charge of selling us.

Reaction Score
I guess what can you realistically expect Benedict to say.

It makes me nervous saying he cant change the past 10 years, why can't he come out and highlight our 2 national titles, 3 final fours and 2 BCS level conference titles.

Almost seems like a built in excuse and it makes me nervous when an outsider is in charge of selling us.

I would say it is a good thing if they are looking 10 years in the past. What other school looks as good when you expand the data out 10 years? Most of the schools mentioned have only had recent success.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
FWIW, the 3rd highest rated Big East game on FS1 before the new year last season was a UConn game. The UConn women.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I would say it is a good thing if they are looking 10 years in the past. What other school looks as good when you expand the data out 10 years? Most of the schools mentioned have only had recent success.

Yeah it would really suck if they were just looking at our past 5 years of football.. :D

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Well, someone with knowledge was authorized to feed Blaud for his latest article.

IF what Blaud is saying is true no one leaks anything without permission regarding content and which source it can go to.

Two days ago some possible candidates were leaked and both ESPN and FOX immediately pushed back.

Give Blair's story 24 hours and see who decides to link it and re-tweet it.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
KABOOM.

Blauds, while sometimes a tool, does not ever post information like this when it's wrong.

Big 12 contacts Connecticut to discuss possible interest in expansion

According to sources familiar to the situation, the Big 12 Conference has contacted the University of Connecticut to discuss setting up a meeting to gauge the school’s interest in joining the Big 12. Big 12 officials have reportedly sent similar messages to several other schools.

Okay. I hate to be that guy, but wasn't this exactly what they said they'd do at the last Big 12 meeting? Blauds didn't say it was an invite, just that reached out to us. The real question is whether this is old news or not. If it is then... *yawn*. If it isn't then why didn't this contact happen sooner, if we are considered a top candidate? Also, it seemed like the teams had already been picked. So if the meeting hadn't taken place before, is this the result of ESPN saying "Memphis?! What are you kidding me? Take the best available schools you idiots!"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom