Coaching Search Tweets & More | Page 31 | The Boneyard

Coaching Search Tweets & More

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn should only pay big to get big (pun intended). However, even highly regarded (yet unproven) DC's and OC's likely top out well before $3M. Instead, as CTMike suggested, UConn can get creative in terms of bonuses, guarantees and flexibility to help sweeten the pot. These incentives could correlate with conference affiliation and performance.

Reaction Score
This is exactly the type of thing I was hoping to avoid. For the record, what would disappoint me most is a series of public rejections by candidates. Nothing says small time like that does if we are offering good money. It would confirm the worst fears of this AAC sentence.

Yes, that is my fear, that we will be rejected because of the AAC.

Reaction Score
USC, Washington, Wake, and now Boise.

Last school standing.

Not complaining as quick doesn't necessarily equal good. UCONN has had months long advantage over the other schools, so the pace is a little odd. Obviously the time between Pasqualoni being fired and now should have provided the opportunity to hit the ground running.

Knock on wood it doesn't get any odder. Then we might suffer through the typical UCONN cat calls from the vultures in the press. Managing perception is part of the job nowadays.

I trust Manuel has planned this all out and knew other schools would hire more quickly, hence the odd press "meeting" before sat's game.
Agreed with everything you stated above but the only school that possibly effected our coaching search was Wake Forest. If this search lasts past Friday I would be shocked.

Reaction Score

Last school standing.

Not complaining as quick doesn't necessarily equal good. UCONN has had months long advantage over the other schools, so the pace is a little odd. Obviously the time between Pasqualoni being fired and now should have provided the opportunity to hit the ground running.

Knock on wood it doesn't get any odder. Then we might suffer through the typical UCONN cat calls from the vultures in the press. Managing perception is part of the job nowadays.

I trust Manuel has planned this all out and knew other schools would hire more quickly, hence the odd press "meeting" before sat's game.

UCONN was also the only of those schools to play this past weekend. They all got a one week head start in filling their vacancies.

Reaction Score
Question for all: If Saban would accept, would you shell out more money than Texas/Alabama are offering him?

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
We may be last to hire, but I think whoever we pick will be better than Wake or Boise.

Reaction Score
This was in PP's contract:

NOTE: No General Fund (state tax dollars) or tuition monies were used to provide any of the resources for this contract. The Division of Athletics at the University of Connecticut is an Auxiliary Service Fund entity and the sources of revenue include: gate receipts, private fundraising, corporate partnerships, television/radio rights, BIG EAST Conference revenues and NCAA revenues.

Maybe that is why the job doesn't have to be posted.

Reaction Score
It WILL NOT take $2.5 - $3.0 million to get PN to accept his first head coaching position. That is just a rediculous assumption for an unproven Head Coach. Don't get me wrong, PN is my choice but $2.0 million will make him and his family very happy as well as speak volumes to the committment of UConn to "Big Boy" Football.

$2.0 million puts him somewhere around #50 for coaches. $2.5 puts the salary in the top 30 while $3.0 puts him in the Top 20. Unless it is a proven coach such as a Dan Mullen, UConn will not be going North of $2.0 million, nor does it have to.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/salaries/
I hope you are right and I'm wrong.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Question for all: If Saban would accept, would you shell out more money than Texas/Alabama are offering him?

Why deal in a hypothetical that is not even remotely a possibility?

Incidentally, my answer is a big fat emphatic no. Even if Saban would consider a huge step down from a Power 5 conference, UConn would have to offer at least 1.5x what Texas/'Bama would offer for that exact reason, plus lack of fertile recruiting grounds, weather, and income tax (Texas has no personal income Tax).

Reaction Score
Yup, I never understand why some posters mock the writers who cover UCONN for "reading the Boneyard". We obviously enjoy the banter why shouldn't they do the same. Any UCONN sports writer who doesn't read the Boneyard is probably not really that into their job.

We do their research for them and give them story ideas. Sometimes that's good because Jacobs will publicize our ideas.

Reaction Score
We may be last to hire, but I think whoever we pick will be better than Wake or Boise.
Why? Just because? Clawson has a good resume and he would have been a solid hire for Uconn. I am pretty sure his salary/compensation is right where Uconn will be paying based on what they paid Grobe. Boise has a history of successful replacement coaching hires although I am not sure what they pay, but that program means as much to that area of the country as Uconn does to CT. They also have twice the fan base and season ticket support.

I hope you are right, but no one will know until 3 years after the hire is made. Remember, people thought (some, not all), that PP was a solid hire at the time.

Reaction Score

Last school standing.

Manuel took the high road and waited until the season was over before contacting other schools. Unfortunately, sometimes nice guys finish last. We've seen that in conference realignment where the other schools were working behind our back for a way out while UCONN was supporting the Big East.

Reaction Score
Manuel took the high road and waited until the season was over before contacting other schools. Unfortunately, sometimes nice guys finish last. We've seen that in conference realignment where the other schools were working behind our back for a way out while UCONN was supporting the Big East.
He really had to take the high road. Whith 28 schools in our corner of the nation in the ACC and Big Ten, we need to keep as many friends as possible in the upcoming years. He did the right thing.

Reaction Score
He really had to take the high road. Whith 28 schools in our corner of the nation in the ACC and Big Ten, we need to keep as many friends as possible in the upcoming years. He did the right thing.

Well, if it turns out to be Narduzzi, maybe conspiracy kitty can come out and play.

Reaction Score
We may be last to hire,

I hope we are not last to hire. Make your best offer to Narduzzi, give him a deadline and if he doesn't take it move on. He is not the end all be all, he is an assistant who has never been a head coach.

Reaction Score

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
Why? Just because? Clawson has a good resume and he would have been a solid hire for Uconn. I am pretty sure his salary/compensation is right where Uconn will be paying based on what they paid Grobe. Boise has a history of successful replacement coaching hires although I am not sure what they pay, but that program means as much to that area of the country as Uconn does to CT. They also have twice the fan base and season ticket support.

I hope you are right, but no one will know until 3 years after the hire is made. Remember, people thought (some, not all), that PP was a solid hire at the time.
I think Lembo is a better pick up then Clawson. I think Narduzzi is bigger NAME than both of them combined (yet to be proven if he can be a HC). And I think it's going to be Narduzzi or Lembo. Either of them will give us instead credibility. Wake will continue to be mediocre ate best.

Boise St. went with the safe pick and picked up their old OC. They will probably keep winning, but it's not a splash hire.

What does salary/compensation have to do with being a better hire?

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
I hope we are not last to hire. Make your best offer to Narduzzi, give him a deadline and if he doesn't take it move on.
I was referring to the Wake/Boise openings... those were our competition.

Reaction Score
Well, if it turns out to be Narduzzi, maybe conspiracy kitty can come out and play.

RR - Speaking of conspiracy theories, did you see this wingnut post from late last night? (it's now like 5 pages back):

>>Spartan787 620 posts
I read where the AD at Connecticut is a Michigan grad and UM posters were speculating that he will try to do Brandon a favor by attempting to hire away Narduzzi since UM did UConn a favor by playing a road game there. A few posters also said that one prominent UM alum, the guy who just donated millions of dollars to UM whose name escapes me, might help Connecticut with the salary just to get Narduzzi out of MSU. I am not sure I buy into all of that but it was interesting hearing how they are all so enamored with getting Pat Narduzzi out of MSU. Nardawg can certainly get interviews on his own merit with his brilliant track record. I wish him the best whatever he decides to do.<<

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I think Lembo is a better pick up then Clawson. I think Narduzzi is bigger NAME than both of them combined (yet to be proven if he can be a HC). And I think it's going to be Narduzzi or Lembo. Either of them will give us instead credibility. Wake will continue to be mediocre ate best.

Boise St. went with the safe pick and picked up their old OC. They will probably keep winning, but it's not a splash hire.

What does salary/compensation have to do with being a better hire?
Boise did not need a splash hire. Their brand is not broken.

Reaction Score
I hope we are not last to hire. Make your best offer to Narduzzi, give him a deadline and if he doesn't take it move on. He is not the end all be all, he is an assistant who has never been a head coach.

Well, Warde Manuel did say something along those lines:

“I’m well aware of the jobs that are open”, he said, “And I’m well aware of the other places people might be interested in that are in my pool of candidates. I’m not interested in playing back and forth with people, you have a choice, here’s what I have to offer.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom