Coaching Search Tweets & More | Page 30 | The Boneyard

Coaching Search Tweets & More

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wow, Jacobs with some exceptional work. He must have told his editor, "Oh, my story today? I'm just going to read The-Boneyard all day and give our readers a synopsis."

#EveryoneKnowsJacobsBlows
Warde CAN land Narduzzi, he just needs to pony up with 2.5 to 3 mill, and I think he will.

Reaction Score
Wow, Jacobs with some exceptional work. He must have told his editor, "Oh, my story today? I'm just going to read The-Boneyard all day and give our readers a synopsis."

#EveryoneKnowsJacobsBlows

To be fair, most Courant readers probably do not spend a significant amount of time here. If you're a journalist, you'd be insane not to use whatever sources you have.

Reaction Score
To be fair, most Courant readers probably do not spend a significant amount of time here. If you're a journalist, you'd be insane not to use whatever sources you have.

Yup, I never understand why some posters mock the writers who cover UCONN for "reading the Boneyard". We obviously enjoy the banter why shouldn't they do the same. Any UCONN sports writer who doesn't read the Boneyard is probably not really that into their job.

Reaction Score
Yup, I never understand why some posters mock the writers who cover UCONN for "reading the Boneyard". We obviously enjoy the banter why shouldn't they do the same. Any UCONN sports writer who doesn't read the Boneyard is probably not really that into their job.

i'm not mocking anyone - except Jacobs - his articles suck, his opinions are worse, and he takes ideas from the BY and quotes them as his own. Does it for FB, Hoops...his ego gets in the way of his ability to be a "Journalist"

Reaction Score
Reading the boneyard would be the easiest way for a writer to get the general pulse of the fan base. Really is a no brainer.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
i'm not mocking anyone - except Jacobs - his articles suck, his opinions are worse, and he takes ideas from the BY and quotes them as his own. Does it for FB, Hoops...his ego gets in the way of his ability to be a "Journalist"
Yet you keep reading his stuff?

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
jostar1 said:
Jeff Jacobs‏@jacobscourant26m
If Warde Manuel doesn't land Pat Narduzzi there will be plenty of disappointment among UConn fans.

This is exactly the type of thing I was hoping to avoid. For the record, what would disappoint me most is a series of public rejections by candidates. Nothing says small time like that does if we are offering good money. It would confirm the worst fears of this AAC sentence.

The popular guy may not be the right coach or the preferred coach. I don't need to know how that decision is made.

I want the guy to be hired and succeed with as little drama as possible. It is the only thing those on the outside can control.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
ncaa_a_jeffhts_300.jpg
You should be punished for this

Reaction Score
Come down a half million. If we offer Narduzzi $2m it will be a lot.
It might enough for Lembo or Diaco, but not Narduzzi. Warde might lose him and UCONN cannot afford to take that chance. If we get Narduzzi, not only do we get the best coach available but one with strong ties to the B1G, and an extra $500,000 is cheap considering what it might do for UCONN down the road.

Reaction Score
It might enough for Lembo or Diaco, but not Narduzzi. Warde might lose him and UCONN cannot afford to take that chance. If we get Narduzzi, not only do we get the best coach available but one with strong ties to the B1G, and an extra $500,000 is cheap considering what it might do for UCONN down the road.

Narduzzi can take a hike if he wants $3m. It's not happening. Nor should it.

You don't pay $2.5m to a guy who has never been a HC before. You pay that money for a guy with a proven track record as HC. A sure thing type of deal, not a guy who may do well as a HC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Uconn could hire Nick Saban and pay him $12M a year and if that leads to an invite to the B1G or ACC, the math actually works for the university. I'm not sure Narduzzi matters in grand scheme, but 4500k a year doesn't really matter over next three years or so

Reaction Score
Because overpaying guarantees success. Hiring a coordinator as a head coach is a coin flip at best. Overpaying on a coin flip is just stupid. What is the going rate for a head coach at the bottom half of the SEC and B1G? What did Clawson get at Wake? Hit that range and your okay. Overpay, and if the hire fails, you are not stuck with financial handcuffs the next time around. If he succeeds, that's why you tear up contracts and give extensions.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Because overpaying guarantees success. Hiring a coordinator as a head coach is a coin flip at best. Overpaying on a coin flip is just stupid. What is the going rate for a head coach at the bottom half of the SEC and B1G? What did Clawson get at Wake? Hit that range and your okay. Overpay, and if the hire fails, you are not stuck with financial handcuffs the next time around. If he succeeds, that's why you tear up contracts and give extensions.

The salary offered is as much a communication of our intent to play competitive big boy football as it is a means to securing the man we want for the job.

Reaction Score
It WILL NOT take $2.5 - $3.0 million to get PN to accept his first head coaching position. That is just a rediculous assumption for an unproven Head Coach. Don't get me wrong, PN is my choice but $2.0 million will make him and his family very happy as well as speak volumes to the committment of UConn to "Big Boy" Football.

$2.0 million puts him somewhere around #50 for coaches. $2.5 puts the salary in the top 30 while $3.0 puts him in the Top 20. Unless it is a proven coach such as a Dan Mullen, UConn will not be going North of $2.0 million, nor does it have to.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/salaries/

Reaction Score
Man I really hope a Narduzzi deal gets done soon. We've gotten the shaft so many damn times lately.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
$2M to Narduzzi is plenty. If you have the extra mil to spend, tell Narduzzi he's got a higher budget for assistant coaches. Might not get the same headlines, but with a first time HC, will be key for success.

Reaction Score
When did this Narduzzi or bust sentiment creep into the BY? I'd be ok with him, but there are others in play here. Let's not set ourselves up for disappointment. Plenty of guys in play that I would be very happy with.
He is this year's Diaco. Diaco was the top assistant that people wanted last year. But he never left ND. There were rumors that he interviewed bad and could nor articulate an overall plan at some the schools he interviewed with. That was followed up by his tarnished BCS performance and the fake GF support of T'eo. This year. Narduzzi is the best available assistant and he is very high in fans minds based on the Broyles award and their very efficient derailing of 0.0hio State. Add in the pimping of him by Dantonio, and you get the board frenzy.

I will give 2:1 odds that the final hire is a name none of us is currently listing.

Reaction Score
Man I really hope a Narduzzi deal gets done soon. We've gotten the shaft so many damn times lately.

Exactly what I was thinking last night. Just get it done Warde. The longer this draws out, the more skeptical I get. Things have seemed to find a way to fall apart for us in recent years whether its with recruits, current players, coaches, or the NCAA. Just get it done and finalize and lets begin looking towards a successful future.....

Reaction Score
When did this Narduzzi or bust sentiment creep into the BY? I'd be ok with him, but there are others in play here. Let's not set ourselves up for disappointment. Plenty of guys in play that I would be very happy with.

I think there are a few other quality coaching candidates around his level but none bring the impact on the public perception than he does. UCONN hiring him says we are committed to being as competitive as we can be. We were never going to steal a HC away from a P5 program, so grabbing the #1 perceived coordinator from a P5 school says a lot and then paying him what we are willing to (2 mil) says a lot too. I think it says more than hiring the likes of a MAC HC......

Reaction Score
USC, Washington, Wake, and now Boise.

Last school standing.

Not complaining as quick doesn't necessarily equal good. UCONN has had months long advantage over the other schools, so the pace is a little odd. Obviously the time between Pasqualoni being fired and now should have provided the opportunity to hit the ground running.

Knock on wood it doesn't get any odder. Then we might suffer through the typical UCONN cat calls from the vultures in the press. Managing perception is part of the job nowadays.

I trust Manuel has planned this all out and knew other schools would hire more quickly, hence the odd press "meeting" before sat's game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom