Coaching Search Tweets & More | The Boneyard

Coaching Search Tweets & More

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Incoming from Detroit Free Press Michigan State beat writer live tweeting presser where Dantonio confirmed UConn request for interview

Joe Rexrode ‏@joerexrode 17m
Without coming out and saying it, I think Dantonio thinks Narduzzi can get a better job than UConn. And I would agree.

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
There's a lot of that nonsense out there. I'm actively refuting these types of tweets and messages…my fingers are getting sore from typing! $2-$2.5M/yr…quite a significant raise from $500K/yr that he made this season. If he wins quickly, he can either parlay it to another job OR UCONN will be in the B1G or ACC. Personally, I think it's a great fit but there are SOOOOO many people out there who think poorly of UCONN. "Always hire bad coaches", "women's basketball school", "no fans at the Fiesta", blah blah blah. I'm fighting the good fight out there but man, there are a TON of idiots. :confused:

Reaction Score
There's a lot of that nonsense out there. I'm actively refuting these types of tweets and messages…my fingers are getting sore from typing! $2-$2.5M/yr…quite a significant raise from $500K/yr that he made this season. If he wins quickly, he can either parlay it to another job OR UCONN will be in the B1G or ACC. Personally, I think it's a great fit but there are SOOOOO many people out there who think poorly of UCONN. "Always hire bad coaches", "women's basketball school", "no fans at the Fiesta", blah blah blah. I'm fighting the good fight out there but man, there are a TON of idiots. :confused:
Save your sanity. Do not respond to an idiot.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Save your sanity. Do not respond to an idiot.

I can't help it. I even actively search "UCONN" on my twitter account (which I barely ever checked before a few days ago) to refute. My sanity is waning but I feel like it's important to show we are not some sort of joke. We are not in a P5 conference because of politics, not merit.

Reaction Score
It will be fun to watch people try to talk Narduzzi out of a 400 percent raise on a $512,000 salary because of a "better job" that won't open until next year.

Dooley

Reaction Score
It will be fun to watch people try to talk Narduzzi out of a 400 percent raise on a $512,000 salary because of a "better job" that won't open until next year.

EXACTLY. MSU won't pay him $2M/yr to be DC. Maybe another school can pay him that much to be head coach but he can win right away at UCONN. QB, WR, RB in place. Some good youth on D to coach up. Winning 4 games next year is technically an improvement (but easily attainable given the schedule)! People just like to bag on UCONN out there and I'm not sure why.

Reaction Score
It isn't just money. It is the chance to be successful. We think it exists. Some may think it a big risk. The financial math might be the same for Narduzzi and Lembo, but the risks are not.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Incoming from Detroit Free Press Michigan State beat writer live tweeting presser where Dantonio confirmed UConn request for interview

Without coming out and saying it, I think Dantonio thinks Narduzzi can get a better job than UConn. And I would agree.
It's one thing to say that but another to actually have a better option than UConn. Me thinks Dantonio is playing to PN's ego and doing whatever he can to delay PN's inevitable departure because knows he can't compete financially. BTW, I agree with Rumrunner on the other thread. It may seem like nonsense to some, but with his wife's family in RI, and 4 young kids growing up without them, I wouldn't discount that factor one bit. I've been living in TX the last 18 yrs for exactly the same reason and I can attest to the fact that a happy wife makes for a much happier home!

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

I think Joe is thinking that D'antonio thinks UConn isn't necessarily a "bad" job, but I think Joe thinks that D'Antonio thinks that Narduzzi might be able to land a REALLY big job on the order of Texas or Notre Dame if they open in a year or two. I would answer that if that type of job opens in two years Narduzzi could use two years of HC experience by making UConn AAC champs and upsetting a REALLY big name school in the new contract bowl.

Reaction Score
It will be very hard (but not impossible) to pry Narduzzi away from MSU... MD has always said he wants PN to replace him.

Just chasing him is worth the time and effort from a perception standpoint... If it doesn't happen - it doesn't happen. Just give it the best fight.

Last edited:

Dooley

Reaction Score
I think Joe is thinking that D'antonio thinks UConn isn't necessarily a "bad" job, but I think Joe thinks that D'Antonio thinks that Narduzzi might be able to land a REALLY big job on the order of Texas or Notre Dame if they open in a year or two. I would answer that if that type of job opens in two years Narduzzi could use two years of HC experience by making UConn AAC champs and upsetting a REALLY big name school in the new contract bowl.

Yup. His choices:

1. stay at MSU, be the t1ts DC at 512K/yr, wait for another "bigger" job for who know how long;
2. come to UCONN, quadruple his salary, and potentially win right away in a mildly competitive but winnable conference (could parlay into "bigger" job or UCONN upgrades to P5)

If he wins more than 3 games next year, it's an improvement. And he will get a first year coach free pass from most fans/media.

Reaction Score
Dooley said:
Negotiating through media. If he turns down $2M/yr and a job that he can win right away at, then I would question if he ever wants to be a head coach.

There are plenty of jobs I wouldn't take for more money. He has the luxury of being able to choose.

Reaction Score
Dooley said:
Yup. His choices: 1. stay at MSU, be the t1ts DC at 512K/yr, wait for another "bigger" job for who know how long; 2. come to UCONN, quadruple his salary, and potentially win right away in a mildly competitive but winnable conference (could parlay into "bigger" job or UCONN upgrades to P5) If he wins more than 3 games next year, it's an improvement. And he will get a first year coach free pass from most fans/media.

If he doesn't win 8 games here next year the entire BY will skewer him.

Reaction Score
Yup. His choices:

1. stay at MSU, be the t1ts DC at 512K/yr, wait for another "bigger" job for who know how long;
2. come to UCONN, quadruple his salary, and potentially win right away in a mildly competitive but winnable conference (could parlay into "bigger" job or UCONN upgrades to P5)

If he wins more than 3 games next year, it's an improvement. And he will get a first year coach free pass from most fans/media.
Question:
How is MSU's defense projected to be next year, for example are they losing good players to the NFL?
Reason I ask is, would Narduzzi be taking a gamble by passing, if the defense starts to slip next year and now he's not one of the hot potential coach-to-be's in the country? And maybe his 5 year/10-13 mil contract opportunties are starting to vanish?
Although I guess Dantonio wants him to replace him eventually but Dantonio isn't retiring anytime soon, is he?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It doesn't matter what D'Antonio thinks, only what Narduzzi thinks. I never like to sell too hard when recruiting. You need the candidate to really want it, especially when the job is hard.

If he is the kind of coach we want, he will ignore D'Antonio. If he listens to D'Antonio, then we don't want him.

Reaction Score
ESPN Big Ten‏@ESPN_BigTen13m
BTW, was told by good source that Narduzzi would insist on coaching in Rose Bowl before taking any head coaching job.

Reaction Score
BTW, was told by good source that Narduzzi would insist on coaching in Rose Bowl before taking any head coaching job.

As long as he carries a UConn phone to make phone calls to recruits during the time - no issues w/ me!!! Good media relations for UConn. Over under on how many mentions UConn gets during the telecast? Ya just pray there is no blow-out!

Reaction Score

No prob with this. He comes here to recruit until start of dead period, heads back to Michigan State, shuts down Stanford in Rose Bowl and parlays that into good recruiting.

Reaction Score

Screw that, Go with Lembo or Weist and hire the Bowling Green defensive coordinator. Waiting 5 more weeks to sign our new coach is not a good plan. Shouldn't Narduzzi be this anxious to come to Storrs if he really wants the job?

In the big picture here is what the Rose Bowl means:

Last edited:

Dooley

Reaction Score
Yeah, I'd have no problem with that either. A few weeks for the right guy won't bother me. Plus, UCONN gets a few promos on national TV along the lines of "they are in good hands with Pat Narduzzi".

Reaction Score
We need to start combining some of these thread :p I just posted this in the other Narduzzi thread. Lotsa posturing about to take place.

WLNS-TV (CBS) Sports Anchor-Reporter in Lansing, Michigan:

“@: UConn reportedly requesting interview with #MSU DC Pat Narduzzi. Dantonio: "Tremendous head coach candidate... He's extremely happy here."”

“@KevinGehlWLNS: Dantonio: "I'd hate to lose Narduzzi, but when the opportunity comes, it's gotta be the right one, that's when you take it." #MSU #Spartans”

Michigan State sports reporter with the Lansing State Journal:

“@chrissolari: Dantonio likens Narduzzi's situation to when he went to Cincinnati after OSU. Calls him a "tremendous head coach candidate."”

“@chrissolari: Dantonio: "I'd hate to lose Pat Narduzzi. But I didn't want Jerel Worthy to go to the NFL. That's the same type of thing."”

“@chrissolari: Dantonio thinks Narduzzi will be a candidate on "any head coaching job that comes available."”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom