Coaching Search Tweets & More | Page 33 | The Boneyard

Coaching Search Tweets & More

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn 07, i want a guy who wants to make his mark and is hungry. We already tried an old guy set for life looking to make some extras millions before he retired.

Reaction Score
It was 24-24 with 2 min left in the 3rd. Final score not indicative and Virginia was bad this year. i"m just saying his career does not blow me away.

I want a successful championship caliber coach who's won at all levels if we are not going with Weist (i.e. Tressel). You want to go with a MAC level, well Tressel won championships at the lower level. Youngstown State took their conference crown in year 2 after going 2-9 his first season and then went 4 straight years to the title game.

Lembo on the other hand has spent 5 years in the Southern Conference and didn't win his conference. He's been in the MAC 3 years now and is 0 for 3. Sounds like we are settling to me if Lembo is the pick.

You and I could not possibly see things more differently than we do on this.

Reaction Score

I agree lol. I'm trying to understand your side, but I don't see why Lembo is such a high commodity right now. Is there a reason you believe he will come and win conference championships (which we desperately need) here when he hasn't at his last 2 schools dating back 8 years?

Reaction Score
UConn 07, i want a guy who wants to make his mark and is hungry. We already tried an old guy set for life looking to make some extras millions before he retired.

Same - and I believe Weist is just that. Weist is who I want. He wants it and wants to make his mark.

The Tressel example (which was one of the guys on my list and still is should we not go with Weist) was to show the type of up and coming coach that this program should look at that has a track record of winning their conference everywhere they go, not one that has failed to accomplish their preseason goal for the last 8 seasons.

Reaction Score
I am not so sure. How is the Will Muschamp hire working out at Florida? If you will recall, he was the next upcoming can't miss coordinator who Texas tried to keep and gave the "Coach in Waiting" tag to. I think if you are kicking Mack Brown to the curb the way they are, they better be hiring Saban. If not Saban, I would think it would have to be a proven Coach from another program. Just my opinion...

Also keep in mind a good coach has a better chance at succeeding in the AAC than he does in the SEC. If Narduzzi is a fail in the AAC then he's been fooling everybody so far.

Narduzzi will get recruits attention and he will get assistant coaches attention. Good players and good coaches usually produce winners.

At the very least our defense would be good. That has proven to be effective for us.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Same - and I believe Weist is just that. Weist is who I want. He wants it and wants to make his mark.

The Tressel example (which was one of the guys on my list and still is should we not go with Weist) was to show the type of up and coming coach that this program should look at that has a track record of winning their conference everywhere they go, not one that has failed to accomplish their preseason goal for the last 8 seasons.
We can't hire Tressel - well we can, but there's an NCAA show-clause on him that won't expire for a few more years. You can put that name aside.

Reaction Score
We can't hire Tressel - well we can, but there's an NCAA show-clause on him that won't expire for a few more years. You can put that name aside.
Yeah, his show-clause doesn't end until after 2016.

Reaction Score
It's Narduzzi and then it's everyone else.
I get that Lembo has had a nice career and all at these cute little places, but there is no one on Narduzzi's level at this moment. We may have finally discovered a horseshoe right up our ass for the first time since getting into the Fiesta and we can't blow this chance. and Herbst's comments about preferring a coach from a top 25 program is telling to me. Not good for Lembo.

Narduzzi is the top assistant in the country
The guy is the top D-Coordinator in the country (Right in our wheelhouse)
His team is #4
He just beat #2 and scumbag Meyer and their offense.
He's from the B1G.
Jim Delany will take notice (No it doesn't mean he'll necessarily invite us because of this but it's another feather in UConn's cap).
He has New England ties. Hell he was born in our state.
He gave one hell of a speech the other day while accepting his award. If you're asking me if a kid is going through a wall for Lembo or go through a wall for Narduzzi, then I'm asking you why the hell you have to ask me. If you're asking me if a kid is going to come to UConn because Lembo is here compared to if the kid is going to come to UConn because Narduzzi is here, again I'm asking you why the hell you have to ask me.

If the negotations get us past the number Warde wanted, he needs to step away from the table and remind himself what this hire means. Maybe place another call to Burton if he has too.
Down the road this hire has the potential to mean hundreds of millions more in our athletic departments coffers, and I'm sorry, I don't see Lembo as being an equal to Narduzzi right now. I don't see it close.
Lets just hope the guy really wants the job and some crazy Texas domino doesn't cause a bigger opening to happen. The sooner Warde irons this out the better.

I want Suzie, Warde and Burton to walk into Narduzzi's hotel room, lock the door and saying no one leaves until we sign this deal. If he starts to turtle in the corner and cry out for mommy we know we have the wrong man.

Get it done.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

Its simple.

If you beat teams of the quality of Rutgers, Memphis and Temple at UCONN its not impressive. If you beat teams a bit worse than them but not at UCONN, its very impressive.

Is that what you meant to say?

:)

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Serious question here. Can a good head coach succeed with average coordinators? My fear is that we get the right guy, but don't pony up for better coordinators and this 27 page discussion was all for nothing because we can't/won't pay for good coordinators. I clearly don't know how important the coordinators are to the success of a program.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Serious question here. Can a good head coach succeed with average coordinators? My fear is that we get the right guy, but don't pony up for better coordinators and this 27 page discussion was all for nothing because we can't/won't pay for good coordinators. I clearly don't know how important the coordinators are to the success of a program.

Getting good Coordinators is part of being a good coach. So is recruiting. You have to have both to have the results on the field.

Reaction Score
Also keep in mind a good coach has a better chance at succeeding in the AAC than he does in the SEC. If Narduzzi is a fail in the AAC then he's been fooling everybody so far.

Narduzzi will get recruits attention and he will get assistant coaches attention. Good players and good coaches usually produce winners.

At the very least our defense would be good. That has proven to be effective for us.

We might as well go hire the best coach we can afford. We can afford him, and then go ahead and pay as much as we can to rebuild our staff.

Seriously, Why F around anymore. Haven't we learned our lesson?

Reaction Score

A coach like Narduzzi isn't going to accept a job unless he is assured he will get the bucks to hire a good staff to support him. If we paid him 2.5 mil and gave him peanuts to pay the staff then he would see that he is getting set up for failure. The damage to his rep would outwiegh the paycheck. Just my assumption.

Reaction Score
The longer we sit and wait, the more it seems like Narduzzi is waiting to see what plays out at Texas and Alabama and Michigan St, which means the more and more likely it is that he really doesn't want to come here or be here long term.

Weist on the other hand, wants to be here and has said so publicly on more than one occasion, currently has a 3-game winning streak and completely transformed the culture in less than half a season.

To me this is a no brainer.

Reaction Score
If you could find a systemic way to figure out who the "right hire" is 6 times a week, you are up for a massive pay raise.

Yep, just read the history of Turner Gill. He looked like the greatest thing, hired by Lew Perkins at Kansas, and was fired after two seasons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turner_Gill

Lew got the massive raise, but it was before he hired Turner Gill.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It was 24-24 with 2 min left in the 3rd. Final score not indicative and Virginia was bad this year. i"m just saying his career does not blow me away.

I want a successful championship caliber coach who's won at all levels if we are not going with Weist (i.e. Tressel). You want to go with a MAC level, well Tressel won championships at the lower level. Youngstown State took their conference crown in year 2 after going 2-9 his first season and then went 4 straight years to the title game.

Lembo on the other hand has spent 5 years in the Southern Conference and didn't win his conference. He's been in the MAC 3 years now and is 0 for 3. Sounds like we are settling to me if Lembo is the pick.

Lembo has been bowl eligible in an FBS level football school for three years running (Going to two). UConn has not. What does Tressel have to do with the price to tea in China? He's not even a candidate and never was. Weist will not create the requisite buzz needed to help the program recover. No matter what he did behind the scenes, too many people will look at 3-5 and dismiss it out of hand.

Reaction Score
The longer we sit and wait, the more it seems like Narduzzi is waiting to see what plays out at Texas and Alabama and Michigan St, which means the more and more likely it is that he really doesn't want to come here or be here long term.

Weist on the other hand, wants to be here and has said so publicly on more than one occasion, currently has a 3-game winning streak and completely transformed the culture in less than half a season.

Weist isn't going anywhere. He's a fallback option. A damn good one in my opinion.

For all we know, Warde could be making an offer to Narduzzi today. We will pay better than being a part of some dream team staff in Texas.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

[The NCAA] also imposed a five-year show-cause penalty on Tressel, which means any NCAA member that wants to hire him would have to "show cause" for why it shouldn't be sanctioned for hiring him, and could face severe penalties if he commits any further violations during that time. The order stands until December 19, 2016; given past precedent, it will likely have the effect of blackballing Tressel from the coaching ranks until the 2017 season. If Tressel ever coaches again during this period, he will be suspended for the first five games of the regular season, plus any conference championship game or bowl game.

Tressel is also 61 and will be 65 when he is able to coach again.

Reaction Score
Lembo has been bowl eligible in an FBS level football school for three years running (Going to two). UConn has not. What does Tressel have to do with the price to tea in China? He's not even a candidate and never was. Weist will not create the requisite buzz needed to help the program recover. No matter what he did behind the scenes, too many people will look at 3-5 and dismiss it out of hand.

Tressel's career synopsis (prior to Ohio State) is the type of coach UCONN should be going after if they want to look at the MAC/lower level conference for a coach. One that has proven they can win their conference and do so with regularity. That is why Tressel is used as an example.

I would rather have Weist and win than someone that will create buzz on ESPN's home page for a day that won't. Perception may count for some, I'd rather have reality.

Reaction Score
My list:
Narduzzi
Herman
Diaco
Weist
Lembo

I would be pleased with any of the above, although that is the order of my preference.

I don't know anything about Diaco. I know Weist better and that he can win games here. I like Lembo better because he has won everywhere and has head coaching experience. I am even questioning my own judgement here, objectively speaking Lembo should be the better candidate than Narduzzi, but the selling point of Narduzzi is that his last name rhymes with mine, he will give us a recruiting boost, and you can count on the defense being strong. I think he is smart enough to figure out how to sustain our offensive improvements and build on them.

Reaction Score
Weist isn't going anywhere. He's a fallback option. A damn good one in my opinion.

For all we know, Warde could be making an offer to Narduzzi today. We will pay better than being a part of some dream team staff in Texas.

If Warde and the higher ups at UCONN were as impressed as what was reported, I believe Narduzzi had the offer yesterday. The fact that this is dragging makes me think that Narduzzi wants to wait to see what plays out elsewhere before making a decision and thus really doesn't want to be here.

Reaction Score

The Texas and Alabama situation has zero affect on Mich St or Narduzzi. If Narduzzi gets an offer he will get a very few days to think about it and then will have to produce an answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom