Coaching Search Tweets & More | Page 34 | The Boneyard

Coaching Search Tweets & More

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If we don't announce Narduzzi by Friday, or hear about more interviews (Herman, Diaco, etc.) then it might be time for one of the rumormongers to tweet out a darkhorse candidate. I hope.

Reaction Score
If Warde and the higher ups at UCONN were as impressed as what was reported, I believe Narduzzi had the offer yesterday. The fact that this is dragging makes me think that Narduzzi wants to wait to see what plays out elsewhere before making a decision and thus really doesn't want to be here.

You don't make an offer until you interview all of your top choices. Warde takes his time and is methodical.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Tressel's career synopsis (prior to Ohio State) is the type of coach UCONN should be going after if they want to look at the MAC/lower level conference for a coach. One that has proven they can win their conference and do so with regularity. That is why Tressel is used as an example.

I would rather have Weist and win than someone that will create buzz on ESPN's home page for a day that won't. Perception may count for some, I'd rather have reality.

How are you so sure the Bold is reality and so more than the rest is not? Perception is reality. Look it up.

Reaction Score
Recngnizing WM will move on his schedule - the ripples from the Texas hire will impact our search. I doubt Saban would move there, but what do i know. If he passes, who will they look at - C Strong, J Franklin, G. Patterson or A. Briles, etc.? If any of those or other current HC's at a BCS school take the TX job, a Narduzzi or Lembo could become a favorite to replace that person.

Reaction Score
UCONN was also the only of those schools to play this past weekend. They all got a one week head start in filling their vacancies.

Unless its for a conference championship, another good reason not to play that weekend.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Recngnizing WM will move on his schedule - the ripples from the Texas hire will impact our search. I doubt Saban would move there, but what do i know. If he passes, who will they look at - C Strong, J Franklin, G. Patterson or A. Briles, etc.? If any of those or other current HC's at a BCS school take the TX job, a Narduzzi or Lembo could become a favorite to replace that person.

I can't see Texas forcing Brown out the door without a very clear and executable plan. Part of that plan is not, in my mind, hiring a Coordinator with no HC experience at any level. Too much to lose for them as the anchor of the Big 12.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
The fact that this is dragging makes me think that Narduzzi wants to wait to see what plays out elsewhere before making a decision and thus really doesn't want to be here.

Or maybe they are just waiting on the caravan of buses carrying all of the CT HS coaches down to Atlanta to interview Naduzzi has been slowed by the weather. You know, since the approval of the CT HSCA is so important in the hiring process at UConn! :)

Reaction Score
This is a very important hire and an attractive opportunity for a coach. You do not just interview 1 or 2 guys and make an offer. Fit is very important and UConn is a state school so the process is important as well.

Don't forget that the National Football Foundation awards dinner was held at the Waldorf in NYC last night and almost anyone who is anyone in college football was there last night. And, the IMG Intercollegiate Athletics Forum is at the Marriott Marquis today and tomorrow. (Herbst and Manuel were speakers last year.) Thus, final interviews could be held in NYC/CT either today or tomorrow with a number of potential candidates and they can get a tour of UConn and the football facilities.

As a side note, the IMG event is big. One panel has Bob Bowlsby, Jim Delaney, Larry Scott, Mike Slive, and John Swofford. Unfortunately, Aresco is on the panel with the commissioners of CUSA, Sun Belt, MAC, and WCC.

Reaction Score
Here's the thing...I sort of think that Warde has let this get out of hand. Unless he lands Narduzzi, many will see this as a failed effort. And the problem he let get created is that he almost has to land Narduzzi even if he thinks someone else is a better option for UConn. He allowed a Narduzzi or nobody expectation to be developed, when he doesn't have that level of control. Hope he succeeds and that he gets the right guy.

Reaction Score
Serious question here. Can a good head coach succeed with average coordinators? My fear is that we get the right guy, but don't pony up for better coordinators and this 27 page discussion was all for nothing because we can't/won't pay for good coordinators. I clearly don't know how important the coordinators are to the success of a program.

Depends on the head coach. Belichick not only has average coordinators, he has young guys with him that he trains, and even then he prefers few coaches. He believes too many coaches muddle the message. Belichick has always had one of the smallest staffs around with only Dante Scarnecchia (the O-line guy) afforded the privileges one normally associates with top assistants. This has been true of Belichick since Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weis left in 2004.

But that's a comfort level that not many coaches have. He's Belichick, he can do whatever he wants.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Here's the thing...I sort of think that Warde has let this get out of hand. Unless he lands Narduzzi, many will see this as a failed effort. And the problem he let get created is that he almost has to land Narduzzi even if he thinks someone else is a better option for UConn. He allowed a Narduzzi or nobody expectation to be developed, when he doesn't have that level of control. Hope he succeeds and that he gets the right guy.

How do you feel like Warde did any of this?

He spoke to the process Saturday and it's been radio silence as he's conducted the interview process.

Not sure how else you wanted him to deal with this.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Here is a quote from Kirk Herbstreet:

On rumors about Nick Saban coming to Texas:

“There’s no chance. No chance of that happening. Nick Saban will work TV sitting next to us on our set before he’ll be the head coach at Texas … He’ll be at Alabama for another five years, and then he’ll be working TV after that … I know Nick Saban better than anybody. It’s not going to happen.”

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/co...k-saban-coming-to-texas-there-s-no-chance.ece

So in other words...book it, Saban is going to Texas! :)

Reaction Score
objectively speaking Lembo should be the better candidate than Narduzzi.
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Lembo has one win over a top 25 team in his career, against #23 Toledo last year, and then lost in the damn Beef O' Brady's bowl. His "signature" win this year was against Virginia.

This is the objectively better candidate? I haven't even heard a compelling argument for why he's a better choice than Weist, let alone Narduzzi.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

He spoke to the process Saturday and it's been radio silence as he's conducted the interview process.

Do, or do not. There is no try

Husky25

Reaction Score

He said the media and public would not would hear from him until he announced the coach. I think he does the process a disservice if he tries to address all the rumors as they develop. It's a fools errand and the most important people in the process (Him and President Herbst) know it.

Reaction Score

How has Warde let this get out of hand and how has he been the one to create a Narduzzi or nobody expectation? WE are the ones who have created that. He hasn't said one word since his mini-presser on Saturday morning. I'm perfectly fine with him keeping a tight lid on his process. Just let the man work and we'll see who he comes out with at the end of the tunnel.

Personally, I'd love to land Narduzzi but I'd be totally fine with someone like Herman or Diaco. Hell, I'd be fine with Lembo too and maybe even TJW. I just think Narduzzi is the guy this program needs RIGHT NOW.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

No use trying logic against him, he's a serial hater.

Reaction Score

I'd don't think so. The problem is fans are much more active and involved through social media and the web provides us with same info that they have. The hardcore are relatively intelligent and formulate their own assessments. The days of old where the AD makes decision and everyone falls in line are over. There is a reasoned analysis why Narduzzi is the logical pick, and the other candidates really don't offer anything that great compared to what TJ offers (I know others disagree), but that is why it has boiled down to Narduzzi.

As much as I think he is a lousy AD way over his head, there is nothing Warde could say or do dissuade consensus building from the peanut gallery.

Reaction Score
The longer we sit and wait, the more it seems like Narduzzi is waiting to see what plays out at Texas and Alabama and Michigan St, which means the more and more likely it is that he really doesn't want to come here or be here long term.

Weist on the other hand, wants to be here and has said so publicly on more than one occasion, currently has a 3-game winning streak and completely transformed the culture in less than half a season.

To me this is a no brainer.

Aside from the fact you've been in full campaign mode, who'd have guessed?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
The longer we sit and wait, the more it seems like Narduzzi is waiting to see what plays out at Texas and Alabama and Michigan St, which means the more and more likely it is that he really doesn't want to come here or be here long term.

Weist on the other hand, wants to be here and has said so publicly on more than one occasion, currently has a 3-game winning streak and completely transformed the culture in less than half a season.

To me this is a no brainer.

No brainer? Really? First of all...none of us has any idea how these coaches will work out. Saying a coaching hiring decision is a "no brainer" is really silly....even on a message board.

Second..you know why Weist really really really wants the UConn job? He has no other options! Of course he wants the HC job at UConn...there is no way he will get a better position anywhere else. Other than having no other options....he has no other loyalty to UConn. Do you think he will really really want to stay at UConn if he has 2 good years as a HC and SEC teams start calling? He will leave just as fast as Narduzzi would. So...I don't think the whole "he wants to be here" crap really means anything.

If it ends up being Weist...I am okay with that...but only if it is because Narduzzi, Diaco and Herman say no. I am not on the Lembo bandwagon yet...so I would be okay with Weist over Lembo.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Do, or do not. There is no try

Warde will be judged by who he hires now and ultimately by how that coach performs.

I'm not even sure what your post means? Warde has handled the process fine so far, if Narduzzi just doesn't want to come, I don't see how you can blame Warde entirely based on him handling the situation as best as can be executed.

Reaction Score

Al Golden, Art Briles, Patterson... not sure about Franklin.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Here is a quote from Kirk Herbstreet:

On rumors about Nick Saban coming to Texas:

“There’s no chance. No chance of that happening. Nick Saban will work TV sitting next to us on our set before he’ll be the head coach at Texas … He’ll be at Alabama for another five years, and then he’ll be working TV after that … I know Nick Saban better than anybody. It’s not going to happen.”

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/co...k-saban-coming-to-texas-there-s-no-chance.ece

So in other words...book it, Saban is going to Texas! :)

I am surprised he is talking about this. I remember he was the one who broke the whole Les Miles to Michigan fiasco. After that, Herbstriet said he wouldn't break coaching news anymore.

I hope he is right and things settle down.

Reaction Score

You need to manage expectations. You can't have your people telling nathan that Susan wants a coach from the Top 25 as one example. You can"leak"/plant stories about how great others inteviewed, or even deny you interviewed them at all. leak a story that you had lunch with Kelly, or actually do it. There are a million ways a competent CEO would use to downplay the expectations so if you land Narduzzi you're a hero and if you fail you got the best guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom