Coaching Search Tweets & More | Page 25 | The Boneyard

Coaching Search Tweets & More

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So just for clarification - he's jumped over all your other previously stated choices?

After Saturday's performance I would actually roll the dice with TJ over Tressel and co. Yes

Reaction Score
Did the team not improve 10 fold under Weist throughout the course of the year? Answer truthfully.
I think it was more than 10fold. It makes me wonder, did PP get good players, and not have the ability to coach or implement a "system"? I think it took TJW several weeks to get a new system implemented and to figure out who could work within that systems and the last three games were the results. Sometimes Change is not only painful but it takes time.

Reaction Score
Hate to say it, but we're really buying credibility versus the best coach. Whoever projects that UCONN is serious about football is the one we want. If that happens to be the same person, that it is obviously ideal.

Who cares about credibility 2 years from now if we haven't made a bowl game in that span. I'm 100% confident we go bowling with Weist at the helm next season.

Reaction Score
The Stewart syndrome is not a fair comparison. Stewart was head coach for the bowl game. He did not have a team for 2/3 of a season. Stewart did not go through ups and downs, he had to prepare for one game and one game only.

Weist on the other hand had to bring this team up from the worst team in the country. By the end of the year after 8 games, they were playing like world beaters.

The two are not similar examples.
He also didn't lose 5 of the 8 games he coached, so there's that. Weist did a nice job in turning things around. And the team didn't quit which is a positive, but to me it isn't enough. But he made some really critical mistakes that cost us at least the USF game. You guys want to give him credit for Cochran you really have to also keep in mind that he selected Boyle over Cochran. And didn't make the switch until the season was completely in the tank. The final 3 games cover a multitude of problems, not all of which can be traced back to Pasqualoni.

Reaction Score
Yes.

So when P was fired.....the standard in your mind for TJW getting the gig was "did the team improve"?
I would say the team more than improved. It transformed. They have never produced or smoked anybody like they did last week during P's tenure. The composition of the team changed, attitude changed, receiver routes run better, play calling improved, blocking improved 1000%. He wears no jacket.

Reaction Score
Yes.

So when P was fired.....the standard in your mind for TJW getting the gig was "did the team improve"?

No. The culture of the program changed. The mentality of the players changed. The players bought in. The players wanted to follow. The players played with passion and energy. And guess what, they are on a 3 game winning streak.

It's not just did the team improve. It's how they improved. It's planting the seeds for the success that will lead to bigger and better things next season. They've built the ground work. We all saw it. The culture and the energy surrounding the program is on a high right now. Because of Weist and it started on day one of practice. It just took time to translate to the W column.

Reaction Score
I would say the team more than improved. It transformed. They have never produced or smoked anybody like they did last week during P's tenure. The composition of the team changed, attitude changed, receiver routes run better, play calling improved, blocking improved 1000%. He wears no jacket.
The difference was the level of competition decreased, and the level of play at QB increased. Receivers were being hit on their routes and they stopped dropping balls. He got the kids to play thru the end of the year. I will give him that. But is he really the guy you want to give 4 or 5 years to, today? If he is HC material, then he may be able to get that gig someplace else too but his name is not out there on anyone else's list for a reason.

Reaction Score
Thank God that's snow. I thought I was having a minor stroke. . .

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Does anyone care that Lembo has never won a bowl game? Or that he hasnt gotten any talent into the NFL? Are prospective recruits going to be interested in someone who can make them NFL talent?

Reaction Score
I think that Manuel has to really swing for the fences with a hire if he goes with anybody else but Weist as a HC. There is very little benefit to changing staff yet again, at this point, when we've got a guy in charge, that wants to be there, will come at a reasonable expense, and has shown the ability that he can improve, learn and has the juice to be the head man. He most certainly presided over a team that was arguably the very worst team in all of division 1 at mid season, and found a way to get them to play the game right and win. That counts for a lot.

The question, I have, that I wrote about somewhere else, is what kind of involvement Manuel wants with the assistants and evaluation, hiring, management of the entire football staff. We've got a couple of coaching vacancies on this staff, and some real serious evaluation to do about the entire staff and our direction as a program. We're going to need to fill two vacancies on top of evaluating the others. We need to bring in some hardcore recruiters and hungry, driven position coaches that know WTF they are doing.

I honestly don't know if Weist is the kind of guy that has the connections to do that.

I do like that he wears t-shirts in the cold though. TJ - if you're reading, you don't have to do that when it's snowing and freezing rain. a windbreaker will be ok.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Is Bowling Green considering TJW for their opening?
haha... doubtful, but no continuity
The question, I have, that I wrote about somewhere else, is what kind of involvement Manuel wants with the assistants and evaluation, hiring, management of the entire football staff. We've got a couple of coaching vacancies on this staff, and some real serious evaluation to do about the entire staff and our direction as a program. We're going to need to fill two vacancies on top of evaluating the others. We need to bring in some hardcore recruiters and hungry, driven position coaches that know WTF they are doing.
Should be the HC's responsibility to hire. WM's responsibility to set salary and terms.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
hunker down until we emerge victorious in the end...

Reaction Score
Yes.

So what should it have been given the state of the program when he took control? What, you still had fantasies of a bowl game? What team were you watching? The progress was noticeable at game one with the Oline play and running game, and they proceeded to work through the other disasters and coaching logistics along the way and worked it to the point where these guys started believing in themselves again, so yeah he did a pretty damn good job considering what he inherited.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Does anyone care that Lembo has never won a bowl game? Or that he hasnt gotten any talent into the NFL? Are prospective recruits going to be interested in someone who can make them NFL talent?

That will change with this coming draft. At least one, maybe more, and he's landed a couple guys on practice squads. Believe me when I tell you the cupboard was bare when he got here except for Wenning.

Reaction Score
That will change with this coming draft. At least one, maybe more, and he's landed a couple guys on practice squads. Believe me when I tell you the cupboard was bare when he got here except for Wenning.

Hmmmmmm. But you are talking him up on a message board of a team who may potentially hire him.

Many did the same with George DeLeone last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom