Coaching openings | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Coaching openings

sun

Reaction Score
Coaching has to be one of the most closed professions out there in that it really does take a connection or stroke of luck to get into it. One of the guys I knew in college has been a pretty successful high school coach but spent probably a decade trying to break in to even the lowest ranks of men's basketball at the college level (Juco assistants, NAIA assistants) and told me years ago he never even got an interview. I know his story is similar to thousands out there and that it's all about connections but it's funny to see the never ending musical chairs with the same names over and over, rarely seeing any new faces break through.
It might help if a person is from Connecticut's "least greatest city" where dribbling was invented. LOL!

I know of 3 coaches who are from CT's 7th largest city.
Peter Roby who coached the Harvard men from 1885 - 91.
Tory Verdi who currently coaches the UMass Minutewomen.
Tom Thibodeau who is currently the head coach of the NY Knicks.

What does the city have to with it?
FWIW Rebecca Lobo's grandparents lived there, and we all know what Rebecca Lobo started.
Or maybe it's something in the water.
See the BY thread below for another angle to the story.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
With all these retirements, firings and new hires, hopefully someone will give my daughter a chance.

Reaction Score

Well I guess ur username is quite accurate ;)

I was about to wish our abandoned child good luck and then I noticed their new HC is a Clemson grad so yeah.. Nevermind. :p

(Coastal was once a satellite campus of Carolina's and we sorta left them on the side of the road and now they are their own school)

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
St. Louis University just hired a new women's coach. Don't remember her name and have never heard of her.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
St. Louis University just hired a new women's coach. Don't remember her name and have never heard of her.

I posted it on the page before. Her name is Rebecca Tillet.. Comes over from Longwood University in Virginia. Took them to their first Big South Championship and ncaa tournament appearance in school history.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Her departure one year ago was kept very quiet; most of us assume it was to help family in New Mexico.

But, Elena Lovato is back at Texas with a new title.

Reaction Score
Leaving longtime position of Director of Operations at South Carolina for Dawn to pursue coaching. One of Dawn’s right hands going back to Temple. Member of Dawn’s first player recruitment class @ TU.

Reaction Score
Leaving longtime position of Director of Operations at South Carolina for Dawn to pursue coaching. One of Dawn’s right hands going back to Temple. Member of Dawn’s first player recruitment class @ TU.

A lot of changes to rebuild this program. Looking forward to seeing how they build off of what they accomplished last year.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
A lot of changes to rebuild this program. Looking forward to seeing how they build off of what they accomplished last year.

Yes. It will be interesting to see how South Carolina rebuilds.

Reaction Score

People have been wondering when Stringer would retire. What a history of coaching. It's unfortunate that COVID impacted her ability to finish her career on the court.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
This late announcement have put Rutgers in a
Tough spot as this is a bit late to try and get someone that would be considered very good.

I am Curious as to why the delay. I suspect that there were a lot of long conversations from the Athletic Department to CVS that is was time and needed quite a bit of convincing. Not sure what to think of how big a rebuild it will be or if the RU job is considered a “plum” job or not. CVS was getting Paid a lot but does that correlate to the new coach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom