Coaching openings | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Coaching openings

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Good hire for Butler

In his 12 seasons leading the Jaguars program, Parkinson posted a record of 224-141. Parkinson's Jaguars earned the program's first NCAA Tournament appearance by winning the 2022 Horizon League Tournament. IUPUI had a record of 24-5, including a win over nationally-ranked Iowa. It was Parkinson's eighth 20-win campaign. IUPUI also won the 2020 Horizon League Tournament and earned a berth in the 2020 NCAA Tournament, which was ultimately canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Good hire for Butler

Joins a more prestigious league and doesn't even have to move cities! Good job.

Got the Jags into the NCAA's with a senior/grad-student (Macee Williams) led team.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Congrats to Coach Guth for a fine run at Yale and best of luck to her at Loyola Chicago. Pat on the back to Yale for the classy send-off.

It will be interesting to see what direction Yale goes:
  • Guth was an assistant at Northwestern before taking over the Bulldog HC post;
  • Harvard just hired Carrie Moore, who worked under Kim Barnes Arrico at Michigan.

So, will Yale do the distinguished "up and coming" assistant route again? Or maybe look at other non-Power 5 programs where the Ivies would be considered a jump up? Stay tuned.

Last edited:

sun

Reaction Score
Joins a more prestigious league and doesn't even have to move cities! Good job.

Got the Jags into the NCAA's with a senior/grad-student (Macee Williams) led team.
He must really be up for a challenge.
It would be amazing if he's able to achieve similar accomplishments at Butler.
He deserves a lot of credit for taking the leap.
It's just what the Big East needs.
If he's successful then it will get noticed and he'll be moving up again in the future.

Reaction Score
He must really be up for a challenge.
It would be amazing if he's able to achieve similar accomplishments at Butler.
He deserves a lot of credit for taking the leap.
It's just what the Big East needs.
If he's successful then it will get noticed and he'll be moving up again in the future.
I don't think it would be "amazing" if he has similar accomplishments at Butler (given a few years). He'll be recruiting in the same area with the same contacts and he's a good coach.

sun

Reaction Score
I don't think it would be "amazing" if he has similar accomplishments at Butler (given a few years). He'll be recruiting in the same area with the same contacts and he's a good coach.
He would need to take Butler from being the worst team in the Big East to the NCAAT.
What makes it even tougher is that IUPUI has as enrollment of over 29,000 while Butler only has an enrollment of 5.000.
It wouldn't be easy to attract many good WBB players to such a small school with such a poor record.
It's easier said than done in the tougher Big East.

Reaction Score

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score

MInnesota is losing another assistant coach. One thing it seems Whalen has had success with is getting her assistants HC opportunities.
Or perhaps her father helped a bit with his connections, as well?

Reaction Score

Not sure how true this is but Coach Yo got what she needed out of it bringing in Austin. Who is the next assistant she can bring in to land a major star player from the portal?

Reaction Score

MInnesota is losing another assistant coach. One thing it seems Whalen has had success with is getting her assistants HC opportunities.

Wow! I am old. I taught Carly when her family first moved to CT and she was in the seventh grade!

Reaction Score
Or perhaps her father helped a bit with his connections, as well?
Not sure why that has to be the first thought. She's put in time based on what I've read. She also had Minnesota playing well when Whalen was ill, possibly better than Whalen to some from what I've gleaned on the Minnesota forum.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Not sure why that has to be the first thought. She's put in time based on what I've read. She also had Minnesota playing well when Whalen was ill, possibly better than Whalen to some from what I've gleaned on the Minnesota forum.
Very deserving of a job, not at all surprised. I wondered more specifically about the Connecticut connection - I assume they at one time lived in Connecticut while he was at the Sun - and her job being at Fairfield.

It does not hurt in the coaching business to have "connections". It might be the coach you played for, other coaches for whom you were an assistant, or your family.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The Big South takes another hit.. After taking Longwood to its first ever NCAa tournament... The coach moves up to the A10

Reaction Score
Very deserving of a job, not at all surprised. I wondered more specifically about the Connecticut connection - I assume they at one time lived in Connecticut while he was at the Sun - and her job being at Fairfield.

It does not hurt in the coaching business to have "connections". It might be the coach you played for, other coaches for whom you were an assistant, or your family.
I didn't interpret it that way as I wasn't aware Fairfield is in Connecticut. My apologies.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Karen Lange was previously at Georgia with Joni Taylor.

Joni hasn't yet announced her Texas &M coaching staff, but adding her husband probably meant there was not a job for Lange. Chelsea Newton also expected to move from Georgia to A&M.

Reaction Score
Coaching has to be one of the most closed professions out there in that it really does take a connection or stroke of luck to get into it. One of the guys I knew in college has been a pretty successful high school coach but spent probably a decade trying to break in to even the lowest ranks of men's basketball at the college level (Juco assistants, NAIA assistants) and told me years ago he never even got an interview. I know his story is similar to thousands out there and that it's all about connections but it's funny to see the never ending musical chairs with the same names over and over, rarely seeing any new faces break through.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom