Coaching openings | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Coaching openings

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
NM St hires Jody Adams-Birch. LOL

For those not in the know, I was able to find that in 2015 and investigation into the program at Wichita occurred during which 4 players left the team (unheard at that time, now, not so much). However, after the investigation, the school elected to keep the coach. Then again in 2017 further allegations of some sort occurred, another investigation and the New Athletic Director chose to replace this coach during the season. No comments on the type of allegations were given but as Atticus Finch noted, did any type of investigation or research occur and shouldn't NMSU at least cursory address the issues to paint a better picture? My "spidey senses" tell me this may not be the end of this.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
For those not in the know, I was able to find that in 2015 and investigation into the program at Wichita occurred during which 4 players left the team (unheard at that time, now, not so much). However, after the investigation, the school elected to keep the coach. Then again in 2017 further allegations of some sort occurred, another investigation and the New Athletic Director chose to replace this coach during the season. No comments on the type of allegations were given but as Atticus Finch noted, did any type of investigation or research occur and shouldn't NMSU at least cursory address the issues to paint a better picture? My "spidey senses" tell me this may not be the end of this.
Thanks for explaining ... I imagine Wichita is saying crickets - former employers seldom do unless it is a matter or documented record. I can't imagine that they hired her without some grilling on what went down, but ... who knows. I doubt it will come to anything unless a new issue surfaces in the coming years.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
OK ... that is a wee bit disturbing! And obviously not hard to find. I would have a hard time sticking my neck out if I were the AD for this hire.

....tick, tick, tick....

Reaction Score

Seems like Messer will have a pretty big rebuild with all the kids in the portal.

Makes sense why Messer has not been recruiting. Kim better make a good hire, no more of this promoting from within. LSU may have two openings if she brings Mitchell with her.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was getting anxious at the delay but seems like a very good hire for UCF. Wonder if she can get some of the players to come back? Might be too much to hope for though

Reaction Score
I was getting anxious at the delay but seems like a very good hire for UCF. Wonder if she can get some of the players to come back? Might be too much to hope for though
This is great hire for UCF. Sytia is an excellent recruiter. I would not be surprised if she can get some players back. Happy to see Sytia coming back to the Big 12!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I am always bemused by the various posters that proclaim x person is an excellent recruiter and will be an excellent HC as if the program she just left and worked for had nothing to do with the recruiting AND that now at the new school this x person will singularly be responsible for the recruits.

Those comments do not correlate. If you are the Head Coach, you have to get engaged on the recruiting at some point as it is your program you are selling (along with the rest of your coaches) AND the HC has to delegate the recruiting due to all the other responsibilities they now have. So Coach Messers was not solely responsible for Baylor or LSUs recruits and as new HC she can’t singularly do the recruiting for UCF.

Whether she can handle the actual HC duties who really knows, more than 1 top recruiter has failed as a HC just as some lead recruiters have been successful.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I am always bemused by the various posters that proclaim x person is an excellent recruiter and will be an excellent HC as if the program she just left and worked for had nothing to do with the recruiting AND that now at the new school this x person will singularly be responsible for the recruits.

Those comments do not correlate. If you are the Head Coach, you have to get engaged on the recruiting at some point as it is your program you are selling (along with the rest of your coaches) AND the HC has to delegate the recruiting due to all the other responsibilities they now have. So Coach Messers was not solely responsible for Baylor or LSUs recruits and as new HC she can’t singularly do the recruiting for UCF.

Whether she can handle the actual HC duties who really knows, more than 1 top recruiter has failed as a HC just as some lead recruiters have been successful.
Thank you for saying this. I'll throw out an example - Jolette Law was an outstanding recruiter at Rutgers, when she went to Illinois as head coach it didn't suddenly mean Illinois was getting all those players who, after all, came to Rutgers ultimately to play for CVS, with a Jolette relationship part of it, of course.

The recruiting assistant(s) do the nitty gritty, a lot of the talent evaluations, sift through the "interested" parties, reach out the ones they are interested in, start correspondence, etc. Ultimately, the head coach decides what sorts of players they need / want and, of course, seal the deal. With various levels of activity and various efforts to show their "interest" in the prospect.

If you have particular recruiting skills (or, relationships with yet uncommitted players) this is doubtless a good thing as you start your head coaching career, but, as you say, it is no guarantee of success.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I think Tia Jackson was known as a good recruiter before getting her first head coaching gig. She certainly had a good pedigree, having worked under both C. Viv and Goestenkors. If not for the Jody Wynn disaster, Jackson would have the worst coaching tenure in Washington history.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I don't know how I missed this, but Texas has lost all its coaching staff under Vic? Im sure he has coaches lined up but I dont know if I have ever seen this.

Calamity McEntire to Illinois as associate head coach

Green Tabs Calamity McEntire as Illini Associate Head Coach - University of Illinois Athletics

Dionnah Jackson-Durrett to UKMC as head coach

April Phillips to San Jose State as head coach

Reaction Score
I don't know how I missed this, but Texas has lost all its coaching staff under Vic? Im sure he has coaches lined up but I dont know if I have ever seen this.

Green Tabs Calamity McEntire as Illini Associate Head Coach - University of Illinois Athletics

The Calamity move seems odd.... like is moving to be the "associate HC" at Illinois really a upgrade over being an assistant at Texas right now? Not sure I have seen all three staff members leave in a single offseason, some of those were just hired as well.

Hmmm.....

Reaction Score
The Calamity move seems odd.... like is moving to be the "associate HC" at Illinois really a upgrade over being an assistant at Texas right now? Not sure I have seen all three staff members leave in a single offseason, some of those were just hired as well.

Hmmm.....
Probably has more to do with reuniting with Shauna Green.

How could we forget Mississippi State last season who lost all three staff members and then subsequently lost all three of their replacements.

Reaction Score
How could we forget Mississippi State last season who lost all three staff members and then subsequently lost all three of their replacements.
To be fair, that situation was a little more sticky given McCray's health situation. But yes its still odd to see.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score

Hmmm.....
Get higher positions.

Calamity was at Dayton under Shauna Green one season ago before taking a job at Texas. So, getting promoted to Associate Head Coach at Illinois is a step up, especially as I doubt she was going to be promoted to that title at Texas after just one season.

All three took jobs that are a step up (or two). After the 2020-21 season Johnnie Harris became the head coach at Auburn. So, that's 4 coaches who moved up the ranks after spending a year at Texas.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Hate this for the Big South. The Big South coach of the year moves on.

Now South Carolina - Upstate needs a new coach

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score

Hmmm.....
Interesting. Phillips and McEntire both coached as assistants at Arizona in the past. Yes, Associate Head Coach is probably an upgrade, at least on paper. If you are looking to advance your career, keep moving on.

Reaction Score

He still has his daughter Blair by his side.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom