Coaching Hot Seat 2021 | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Coaching Hot Seat 2021

Reaction Score
Giving up a highly successful 59 year old coach because her assistant did a good job in one year with her players?

yeah that doesn’t make sense to me
I still don't understand why they didn't give her a new contract in 2019 or 2020.....doesn't help recruiting usually

Reaction Score
If White at Vanderbilt wasn't already in trouble, losing her best player Koi Love should just about do it. Maybe the portal can save her lol (It flows both ways)

Reaction Score
If White at Vanderbilt wasn't already in trouble, losing her best player Koi Love should just about do it. Maybe the portal can save her lol (It flows both ways)
She should have been let go already, imo. This is just giving a sharp push down a steep hill, imo.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
She should have been let go already, imo. This is just giving a sharp push down a steep hill, imo.
She has 1 year left at an estimated $950K+ and I think the buyout is 50% but that even is a bit rich for Vandy who's former AD bankrupted the Athletic Department with bad hires and overpayments on HC and assistants. The new AD is a former hoop player so I am sure she's acutely aware of everything and has already started her "secret search" and will be ready to move on from SW when the next season is over.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Come on @DaBball you post just the tweet without any context of who the heck this person is and her background?
Come On Man GIF by memecandy

Reaction Score
Come on @DaBball you post just the tweet without any context of who the heck this person is and her background?
Come On Man GIF by memecandy
I don't know a TON about her. But she seems to be a pretty good recruiter and should have good connections in Texas because she was at Baylor and had a stint as a HC at Prairie View A&M. She was at Michigan most recently and they've had two pretty solid recruiting classes.

I'm sure one of our Baylor fans could add some more knowledge.

Reaction Score
I don't know a TON about her. But she seems to be a pretty good recruiter and should have good connections in Texas because she was at Baylor and had a stint as a HC at Prairie View A&M. She was at Michigan most recently and they've had two pretty solid recruiting classes.

I'm sure one of our Baylor fans could add some more knowledge.
She's a very good recruiter and players seem to like her a lot.

Reaction Score
If you’re a young and up and coming coach like Wilson, going to SMU sets you up to potentially take a stab at one of the major programs like Baylor when Mulkey retires in a few years.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I could have sworn Baylor fans stated that when Wilson left for a "lateral" position at Michigan it was to be closer to family. Guess that wasn't true, after all. :cool:

Reaction Score
Good for Auburn. This may be one of the better times for a coaching change given how large the portal is

I’m sure she can get a few solid players to come in

Reaction Score
I thought we should have hired Harris last season but the internet gods seemed to indicate Cohen was more comfortable turning the program over to someone who had been a head coach before. That isn't a bad thought process on paper. I will be curious how she does at Auburn. She has quite the ship to turn around.

Reaction Score
This site has some interesting coaching news: Women's basketball: Rumors, firings, new coaching hires, transfers

A few summaries:

Langley turned down the Auburn job, so I would assume she is in line for either the Washington or Oklahoma jobs.

Mark Campbell interviewed with Washington, but was informed he will not get the job.

Stanford’s Kate Paye has received two interviews from Washington (just in time for her to get some HC experience before Tara requires, but she seems likely to get the job anyways, so).

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
If Paye is the choice, obviously they couldn't move until Stanford's season is over. But if that's not the case, it's worrying me that UW is taking so long. Need to hurry up and name a coach, hit the transfer portal and start trying to retain current players and incoming recruits.

If it is Paye, I can't visualize her staying at UW long term.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
@nwhoopfan should be happy??

I wonder where Langley will be coaching in 2025

Not sure of the (exact) points-of-view behind the questions, but the first one has certainy entered my mind.

Tina Langley did a bang-up job in her years at Rice. Her bio there cites a .673 winning percentage (highest ever for that school) and a WNIT championship. She jump-started -- changed? -- the culture there by recruiting and welcoming some adept tranfers, most notably the Ogwumike sisters (from Pepperdine), Nany Mulkey (from Okla.) and Nicole Iademarco (Ariz. State).

Many of us have promoted her for jobs thoughout the south and Atlantic Coast. After all, she worked hard and long for Maryland and had cups of coffee at Clemson and Georgia. (Also spend years at Toledo, btw).

With Mulkey graduating and the WNIT championship, she certainly followed the adage of "get out while on top."

Will she have the connections to keep prospects in the Pacific Northwest? And get some from outside of there to come, as Oregon has? My thought is that while workng to establish herself with successful High School and AAU programs, she might work on players who enter the portal from that area and want to come home. After all, that worked in Rice with Houston-based players.

To do that, would highly recommend hiring at least one (if not more) staff who know the roads and gyms to travel to.

This will be interesting to watch. She helped at Maryland and made us aware of Rice, so will pout that water right to the 50% mark. Go.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom