Coaching Hot Seat 2021 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Coaching Hot Seat 2021

Reaction Score
To me a message like this can only backfire. It only sends out signals that seemingly confirm that indeed NMP's tenure is in doubt, and it contributes to a "blood in the water" perception.

It can't just be about the transfers; in this day and age that's something any new coach can expect after their first year.
Perhaps, not sure what else there is to say. I understand it was a difficult time for a coaching change during COVID but she took an extremely talented roster (not necessarily top 10 like projected but definitely top 25 caliber), completely lost her team and didn’t make the NCAAT. Miss St finished behind fricking LSU for crying out loud. It was an absolute failure all around. This was Holly Warlick caliber product. The scarier thing is not the losses but how they are losing. Her team quit. It’s not a good look at all.

even if Rickea and Carter comes back, a lot more changes are needed if they want to get back to being competitive again. Talent isn’t the problem.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
To me a message like this is pointless at best and counterproductive at worst. It only sends out signals that seem to confirm that indeed NMP's tenure is in doubt, and it contributes to a "blood in the water" perception.

It can't just be about the transfers; in this day and age that's something any new coach can expect after their first year.
As I stated in my original post, the opinions on Dawn's tweet will vary. I mean, I hope Dawn at least called Nikki on the telephone instead of solely tweeting at her (for the entire world to see). Based on the replies to Dawn's tweet, Dawn comes out smelling like a rose for her compassion and encouragement, but several on twitter are replying to Dawn's tweet about their discontent with and also @ Nikki as a head coach; so, it just fuels the fire on a larger scale, IMO.

Reaction Score
Perhaps, not sure what else there is to say. I understand it was a difficult time for a coaching change during COVID but she took an extremely talented roster (not necessarily top 10 like projected but definitely top 25 caliber), completely lost her team and didn’t make the NCAAT. Miss St finished behind fricking LSU for crying out loud. It was an absolute failure all around. This was Holly Warlick caliber product. The scarier thing is not the losses but how they are losing. Her team quit. It’s not a good look at all.

even if Rickea and Carter comes back, a lot more changes are needed if they want to get back to being competitive again. Talent isn’t the problem.
Nailed it. No excuses work when the team is just tuned out and no one is getting benched.

NMP can't be the buddy. She has to be the coach, parental figure, and disciplinarian.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Lol... it's her first year and she's on the hot seat already. LOL.... NMP is so pathetic, and terrible.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

Actually, as the second reference to Holly, I have to intervene and say "NO FREAKIN WAY". While not good AT ALL on the coaching front, Holly kept Tenn in the top 25 for years before falling out and made the NCAAT every year (though again, they probably should not have made one of those times). Yes, she also had dysfunction that boiled over in her last year and led to her final demise but that was 6 YEARS into the job. NPM has managed this all in YEAR 1.

Kelly Jolly Harper inherited a decent amount of talent to quickly right the ship, I am not sure based on what is happening what will be left when the decision is finally made to move on from NMP, AND YES, MSU will move on from Nikki. The question is how soon. Even I am shocked at how bad this is. This looks like a bad hire when you even look at the ODU results this year. If Jackson and Carter leave, wow and I do suspect they leave. As @Plebe notes, Dawn's comments just bring more negative attention to the situation.

Reaction Score
I've not been shy about my disappointment for NMP and also my generally negative attitude towards the AD Cohen. The player exodus is not surprising and will only continue. I do think one year is way, way too short of a leash for anyone no matter how bad things are unless there is gross misconduct on cheating by the staff. I would even say two years isn't enough time.

The thing is MSU isn't nationally competitive in any sport consistently. Football has had some good, not great teams, in the past and has never really been in contention for a conference title, let alone NC. Baseball has been the most productive sport overall and even they have fallen short despite some trips to the CWS. We were achingly close to having the first NC for a D1 school in the state. Vic built things in a relatively short amount of time and had a huge fanbase of supporters who would have given him anything for title.

Now? That's history. We didn't have a good program long enough for any legacy to start. We had a small window that is basically shut. I didn't expect MSU to win a title or be FF under NMP this year, nor would I saw I thought Vic would get us there this year. What I hoped by bringing in recruits like Jackson and Hayes along with his coaching prowess would allow the team to stay in the top 10 or so regularly enough to where the school would attract even more talent and keep the fans coming. A large, supportive fanbase can go a long way towards getting recruits because the atmosphere helps draw attention when the surroundings (Starkville) are less than attractive to most. There will not be a crowd of fans at the Hump next season to watch this team and it will closely resemble the days before Vic's arrival in that few will care or pay attention.

I don't blame Vic for going to Austin and NMP had a rough situation to enter with COVID, replacing the most successful coach the school's ever had in any sport not named Ron Polk, and dealing with what were clearly negative attitudes whether justified or not. However that doesn't stop me from being disappointed and having some grief over what was an incredibly fun time for the school. I do hope she turns it around but I'm not holding my breath.

Reaction Score
I think Dawn means well but I don't know if her tweet helps. Think from Mississippi State fans perspective because for the past few years, South Carolina has been their rival at the top of the SEC. Now they hire an assistant coach from said rival, the team is doing much worse, and Dawn is publicly talking about supporting her, is that supposed to endear NMP to their fanbase?

Reaction Score
I think Dawn means well but I don't know if her tweet helps. Think from Mississippi State fans perspective because for the past few years, South Carolina has been their rival at the top of the SEC. Now they hire an assistant coach from said rival, the team is doing much worse, and Dawn is publicly talking about supporting her, is that supposed to endear NMP to their fanbase?
It does not help her at all with the fans. This would be like Lowes hiring Home depots executive VP to run their company and bankrupting it.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Haven't heard too much but does anyone have any idea's for the P5 coaching spots that are open.

Oklahoma
Auburn
Washington
Wisconsin

I've heard both Tina Langley (Rice) and Johnnie Harris (Texas) mentioned as prime targets but couldnt tell you where or which school. Both those coaches are still in tourneys so could be why folks are holding off.

Reaction Score
Langley and Harris were speculated for Oklahoma and Auburn.

quieter on the wash and Wisconsin front

Matthew1589

Iowa Hawkeye Grad and Fan
Reaction Score
Possible name for Wisconsin, Marisa Moseley at Boston University. Whoever it is, could be announced Friday per Madison.com

Reaction Score
Possible name for Wisconsin, Marisa Moseley at Boston University. Whoever it is, could be announced Friday per Madison.com
Marisa?! Love her, but that would be a crazy hire based on what she's done so far.

Reaction Score
For Wisconsin maybe the Milwaukee coach? She has beaten Wisconsin multiple times in recent years lol

Reaction Score
Yikes! Not really the resume for a P5 head coaching position. Good luck Wisconsin you've learned nothing from your own past mistakes.

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
Langley and Harris were speculated for Oklahoma and Auburn.

quieter on the wash and Wisconsin front

Well that didn't take long.

Guess we can scratch Wisconsin from the list.
My only issue with the Badgers is recruiting. You got to be able to get players there to coach them up. Madison is a nice place. My aunt worked there for several years and we used to visit her.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Well, if that was my UW, I would be underwhelmed with the hire. Still to be determined what happens on Montlake.

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
Well, if that was my UW, I would be underwhelmed with the hire. Still to be determined what happens on Montlake.

Any idea's?? Any PAC12 assistant that might want to make a move.

Seattle should be an easier place to recruit? Right?

Reaction Score
Perhaps a sign they want the Gonzaga coach, who would not have been available to really talk before Monday.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Any idea's?? Any PAC12 assistant that might want to make a move.

Seattle should be an easier place to recruit? Right?
I haven't seen anything official. Only people throwing names out on message boards.

The last 4 coaching hires have been all over the place. Failed miserably w/ an assistant coach w/ no HC experience but a great resume. Then did well w/ a mid major coach who had been successful. Then promoted his top assistant and that worked. Then failed miserably w/ a mid major coach w/ a somewhat underwhelming resume.

You'd think Seattle would be easy to recruit, for reasons I've never been able to figure out, that just has not proven to be the case. I don't really know about before June Daugherty, but ever since her tenure recruiting has been an uphill battle. They've pulled in a few blue chippers like Mendiola and Plum, but that's rare. Also way more often than not can't keep top local prospects at home. McGuff started to show some recruiting chops but was gone almost as soon as he arrived.

It seems like it should be considered a good job. I don't know why that can't find a good coach who isn't looking to use it as a stepping stone. I must be missing something. They either get somebody who does well and then moves on, or somebody who doesn't do well and gets canned.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom