Coaching Hot Seat 2021 | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Coaching Hot Seat 2021

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
This seems like a cop-out by Purdue to me not showing me that they want to be an elite program again (at least by Big10 standards).

I have to save I am very underwhelmed....

Edit within the P5 I am aware of 4 coaches: Rueck, Carey, Schneider and Fahey who coached with great success as the lower levels of WCBB and earned new gigs. 1 is an unqualified success, 1 has been pretty good, 1 has been an abject failure and the last is not looking good. Recruiting at the P5 level is a specialized skill set so again, this does not look great.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Wright State's Katrina Merriweather Moving On to Memphis. Pretty good -- even, surprising -- snag for the Tigers.
I thought Merriweather would be up for one of the B1G posts (Purdue, Wisconsin), but that obviously didn't happen. Figured it was time to make a move from the Horizon League.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Wright State's Katrina Merriweather Moving On to Memphis. Pretty good -- even, surprising -- snag for the Tigers.
I thought Merriweather would be up for one of the B1G posts (Purdue, Wisconsin), but that obviously didn't happen. Figured it was time to make a move from the Horizon League.

Merriweather was an asst coach at Purdue and was forced to resign over recruiting violations and impermissible academic assistance to a player. Purdue lost scholarships and Kristy Curry bolted to Texas Tech. So, not surprised Purdue and Wisconsin weren't interested.

Reaction Score
Merriweather was an asst coach at Purdue and was forced to resign over recruiting violations and impermissible academic assistance to a player. Purdue lost scholarships and Kristy Curry bolted to Texas Tech. So, not surprised Purdue and Wisconsin weren't interested.
Why would someone with a history of recruiting violations want to go to Memphis? :)

Reaction Score
Great hire IMO. She can recruit in Texas.

Future pitch:
"If you come here, one day you and your teammates can pull off an incredible upset. ....
Mind you, I won't still be here then, but get a coach in here with some skills and you'll go far."

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
In recalling what went on with Merriweather back in 2006 or thereabouts, then Xavier coach Kevin McGuff tried to hire her as the DBO at Xavier but that fell through when the NCAA issued a show cause against her.

Amber Harris, Dee Dee Jernigan and Ta'Shia Phillips ended up transferring to Xavier from Purdue. A couple of them played for Merriweather's father's AAU team. Merriweather helped McGuff and only the show cause prevented him from hiring her.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score

In recalling what went on with Merriweather back in 2006 or thereabouts, then Xavier coach Kevin McGuff tried to hire her as the DBO at Xavier but that fell through when the NCAA issued a show cause against her.

Amber Harris, Dee Dee Jernigan and Ta'Shia Phillips ended up transferring to Xavier from Purdue. A couple of them played for Merriweather's father's AAU team. Merriweather helped McGuff and only the show cause prevented him from hiring her.

Thanks for the background. That was a bit ahead of my time following WCBB. With that as background, it makes a bunch of sense that she'd head somewhere other than the B1G. BTW, she's still mining the Pike HS/ Indy AAU scene.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Future pitch:
"If you come here, one day you and your teammates can pull off an incredible upset. ....
Mind you, I won't still be here then, but get a coach in here with some skills and you'll go far."

She can recruit out of Texas, too. I recall hearing/reading that she was peristent and pursuasive in her phone pursuit of Celeste Taylor, a Long Islander who came down to Texas.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Kinda surprising..... figured she could do better than Memphis.. No offense to any Memphis fans on this board. Maybe she was lured by the BBQ down there. Lawd knows I would be lured by that

Interesting career path... Charlotte to North Texas to Texas to UTSA. As a side note... that's the first time I've ever seen her with a smile.

Reaction Score

A small correction, none of the players ever played for Purdue. Harris and Jernigan were released from from their LOI's and Phillips, who was a year behind them, reopened her recruiting.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Okay, now the rumor mill is starting to churn. I saw one claim today that Tina Langley is the top target for the vacant Washington job. Another says Sue Semrau won't return to Florida St. and will take the reins at UW (I believe she was in the Seattle area caring for her ailing mother this year).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Okay, now the rumor mill is starting to churn. I saw one claim today that Tina Langley is the top target for the vacant Washington job. Another says Sue Semrau won't return to Florida St. and will take the reins at UW (I believe she was in the Seattle area carrying for her ailing mother this year).
If Langley takes the Washington job, that could mean Harris to Oklahoma.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Okay, now the rumor mill is starting to churn. I saw one claim today that Tina Langley is the top target for the vacant Washington job. Another says Sue Semrau won't return to Florida St. and will take the reins at UW (I believe she was in the Seattle area caring for her ailing mother this year).

Semaru was born in Seattle i believe so there is a home connection but she has been at FSU for over 20 years. I would see her retiring (she is 59) in a few seasons.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
A small correction, none of the players ever played for Purdue. Harris and Jernigan were released from from their LOI's and Phillips, who was a year behind them, reopened her recruiting.
Thanks for the correction. Of course we all remember DeeDee and Xavier's E8 game against Stanford. Heartbreaking loss.

Found this from when Merriweather was hired as an AC at Wright State.

I recall she helped write a paper for one of the Purdue players and made a hundred impermissible phone calls to recruits, some of which were to DeeDee when her mother was gravely ill.

Happy she got a second chance.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Semaru was born in Seattle i believe so there is a home connection but she has been at FSU for over 20 years. I would see her retiring (she is 59) in a few seasons.
Sort of like Sherri Coales maybe, retire or we just won't renew your contract? Sue's contract was up last year and her heir apparent was Brooke who, actually did a credible job- more so than Niele Ivey or Kyra Elzy who all took over programs that had talent. I could see FSU not wanting to lose her and allow a statement from Sue to bow out gracefully and then have Washington do a hard press (Cori Close chiming in as well) to get Sue as a Huskie.

Reaction Score
Sort of like Sherri Coales maybe, retire or we just won't renew your contract? Sue's contract was up last year and her heir apparent was Brooke who, actually did a credible job- more so than Niele Ivey or Kyra Elzy who all took over programs that had talent. I could see FSU not wanting to lose her and allow a statement from Sue to bow out gracefully and then have Washington do a hard press (Cori Close chiming in as well) to get Sue as a Huskie.
That all makes too much sense for it to ever happen.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the correction. Of course we all remember DeeDee and Xavier's E8 game against Stanford. Heartbreaking loss.

Found this from when Merriweather was hired as an AC at Wright State.

I recall she helped write a paper for one of the Purdue players and made a hundred impermissible phone calls to recruits, some of which were to DeeDee when her mother was gravely ill.

Happy she got a second chance.
Strange that now I believe those phone calls would not be violations. Another violation was when she sent flowers to her during her mother's illness.

The NCAA report of the whole mess is on line, and it helped to seal Kristy Curry's time at Purdue. It was suggested she look elsewhere for employment. Texas Tech came calling and off she went. Versyp was hired, the 3 recruits backed out of their commitments and the long slow spiral to mediocrity began. Had none of this happened, it would be interesting to see where Purdue would be today. Sometimes I wish Purdue had hired the other Louisiana Tech assistant when they plucked Curry out of there. You may have heard of her - Kim Mulkey.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom