Coaching changes 2020 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Coaching changes 2020

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I don't think Texas should go hard after Close or CTT. Even though both have done pretty well at their respective programs, neither would be a particularly good fit for UT or a significant net improvement over Aston IMHO. I'd rather see the job go to a promising mid-major HC or a longtime AC from an elite program before either of them.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I don't think Texas should go hard after Close or CTT. Even though both have done pretty well at their respective programs, neither would be a particularly good fit for UT or a significant net improvement over Aston IMHO. I'd rather see the job go to a promising mid-major HC or a longtime AC from an elite program before either of them.
Karen Aston was the mid-major experiment (having coached a couple of years at UNC-Charlotte, and one season at North Texas). That's not happening again, IMO.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Karen Aston was the mid-major experiment (having coached a couple of years at UNC-Charlotte, and one season at North Texas). That's not happening again, IMO.
The mid-major experiment? Many of the top coaches in the game were previously HCs at mid-majors -- including such obscure names as Muffet McGraw, Dawn Staley, Gary Blair and Kelly Graves.

She was modestly successful in her four years at Charlotte, but her primary credential IMO was her history as a longtime assistant under Jody and her familiarity with Texas recruiting circles. Her one NCAA tournament appearance and three WNIT appearances at Charlotte were not what got her the job, IMO.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
The mid-major experiment? Many of the top coaches in the game were previously HCs at mid-majors -- including such obscure names as Muffet McGraw, Dawn Staley, Gary Blair and Kelly Graves.
And, those hires worked out for those schools. Texas' recent hire of a mid-major head coach did not work out, and that's with her having come with familiarity with UT and recruiting ties within the state.

New athletic director, Chris Del Conte, has made two new head coaching hires in his 2 year tenure at Texas. In June 2018, he hired Oregon's Mike White to lead the softball program, and Kentucky's Edrick Floreal to lead the men's and women's Track & Field / Cross Country programs. Those two coaches were hired away from Power 5 conference schools. So, if you want to use a precedent for his hiring strategy while at Texas, that's what it's been so far.

Plebe

Reaction Score
And, those hires worked out for those schools. Texas' recent hire of a mid-major head coach did not work out, and that's with her having come with familiarity with UT and recruiting ties within the state.

New athletic director, Chris Del Conte, has made two new head coaching hires in his 2 year tenure at Texas. In June 2018, he hired Oregon's Mike White to lead the softball program, and Kentucky's Edrick Floreal to lead the men's and women's Track & Field / Cross Country programs. Those two coaches were hired away from Power 5 conference schools. So, if you want to use a precedent for his hiring strategy while at Texas, that's what it's been so far.
That's fine. I'm simply saying that not every "power 5" conference coach is worth going after. To me Close and CTT are in that category.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
That's fine. I'm simply saying that not every "power 5" conference coach is worth going after. To me Close and CTT are in that category.
Fair enough.

I like Cori Close for so many different reasons. I agree with those who state that she might not be among the best X's and O's coaches out there, but every realistic candidate will come with question marks / flaws.

Reaction Score
I'm disappointed that Brit Langley wasn't renewed but the Summit League is a very tough league. I think the UNO Mavs have the best arena in the league though and if they get the right players they can get fan interest up like the Creighton Bluejay men's team has done.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Fair enough.

I like Cori Close for so many different reasons. I agree with those who state that she might not be among the best X's and O's coaches out there, but every realistic candidate will come with question marks / flaws.
Every hire comes with risks. Goestenkors was probably the closest thing to a sure thing in the history of WCBB coaching hires -- and she flopped.

Me personally, I'd take the promise-risk ratio of a Fortier or Smesko before a Close or CTT. But I respect your right to disagree.

Reaction Score
Every hire comes with risks. Goestenkors was probably the closest thing to a sure thing in the history of WCBB coaching hires -- and she flopped.

Me personally, I'd take the promise-risk ratio of a Fortier or Smesko before a Close or CTT. But I respect your right to disagree.
Texas needs a big personality to take on Kim. Mike White did that for them to take on Patty Gasso of Oklahoma. Both JTT and Cori Close have that personality factor from the PAC12. As for other PAC12 coaches,, Scott and Adi aren't leaving their alma maters, although they may leverage a discussion to get a better salary. I doubt Graves would leave no matter the money given what he's built, although I am sure he'd take a raise too. Tara's not leaving and the other 6 don't make as big an impact as JTT or Close. If it' a PAC12, it's one of those 2 or possibly Gottlieb (ex Cal HC) leaving the NBA to get back to college.

I don't know who else make sense, but I don't think Fortier has that as much personality for Texas although I like her as a coach. I don't know Smesko.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Texas needs a big personality to take on Kim. Mike White did that for them to take on Patty Gasso of Oklahoma. Both JTT and Cori Close have that personality factor from the PAC12. As for other PAC12 coaches,, Scott and Adi aren't leaving their alma maters, although they may leverage a discussion to get a better salary. I doubt Graves would leave no matter the money given what he's built, although I am sure he'd take a raise too. Tara's not leaving and the other 6 don't make as big an impact as JTT or Close. If it' a PAC12, it's one of those 2 or possibly Gottlieb (ex Cal HC) leaving the NBA to get back to college.

I don't know who else make sense, but I don't think Fortier has that as much personality for Texas although I like her as a coach. I don't know Smesko.
It's a basketball game, not a popularity or ratings contest. They need a competent coach who can recruit and develop players, implement a system, and coach in game.

I wouldn't describe Scott Rueck as being Mr. Big Personality, but he is 2-0 against Mulkey, both times as an underdog. Let her be the one to throw jackets and act a fool.

Last edited:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
For what it's worth, California Governor Gavin Newsom is not, at present, operating under the assumption that fall sports like NFL, MLB, and college football, will be resuming as normal.

As for off-season coaching and staffing searches, my two cents would be that ADs are not operating under the assumption that their fall sports operations will be resuming as normal, or are at least starting to budget for that possibility and hedging all bets where possible.

And really: since basically every business and non-profit in the country is adjusting their budget on the assumption of vastly reduced revenue over the next 6-18 months, why wouldn't university ADs also?

Plebe

Reaction Score
For what it's worth, California Governor Gavin Newsom is not, at present, operating under the assumption that fall sports like NFL, MLB, and college football, will be resuming as normal.

As for off-season coaching and staffing searches, my two cents would be that ADs are not operating under the assumption that their fall sports operations will be resuming as normal, or are at least starting to budget for that possibility and hedging all bets where possible.

And really: since basically every business and non-profit in the country is adjusting their budget on the assumption of vastly reduced revenue over the next 6-18 months, why wouldn't university ADs also?

Newsom Shmewsom. If Dabo Swinney says he's 100% convinced football season is a go, that's all I need to know :D

Reaction Score

I've wondered about the thinking of many ADs over the years. A number seem disconnected from the broader economic environment in which college sports operates. A case in point....the PAC12 and it's "network".

That said, the economic challenge facing the US and the world will most certainly impact college athletics for years to come. ADs will all face a much reduced revenue stream.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I've wondered about the thinking of many ADs over the years. A number seem disconnected from the broader economic environment in which college sports operates. A case in point....the PAC12 and it's "network".

That said, the economic challenge facing the US and the world will most certainly impact college athletics for years to come. ADs will all face a much reduced revenue stream.
I agree with you, and have found that universities in general tend to defy ordinary economic logics, both ADs and central campuses. However, Stanford's provost just announced hiring freezes, salary freezes, pay cuts for senior staff, and a suspension of all capital outlays (i.e. new buildings). I would be shocked if the athletic department isn't also making major adjustments going forward, since at the moment, roughly 50% of Stanford's revenue is contingent on the resumption of ordinary sporting events. That amount is much higher at many schools. And I suspect most donors are going to have to scale back their giving this year. And Stanford has the fourth largest endowment in the world, and is not dependent on the state for revenue.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
And along those lines - it remains as has been variously mentioned - are folks going to go and sit in a stadium crowd? At this point, the idea doesn't thrill me. I'm not sure I want to push through a crowd of folks or sit next to someone I don't know unless we are virtually certain that the virus is eradicated (and there is no idea that it will be or that there will be vaccines so soon).

Reaction Score
Gottlieb was in hot water at Cal during her final few seasons for her w/l record and poor recruiting. It's just not logical that Texas would consider her when she was falling in the Pac. Smesko was almost hired at USC but they lowballed the offer and he withdrew. Close is popular with almost everyone but the Bruins fans who feel she has underachieved with her roster. She had the #1 class several years back and won the NIT with them the first year and finished year four with the class in the Elite 8. On the other hand, she's been arguably the most successful UCLA wbb coach ever and is popular with everyone else from Administration to the ushers at Pauley Pavilion. She is pretty much adored by her team. The money would be better at Texas but the pressure would be much greater as well. She replaced Nikki Caldwell Fargas who learned the hard way that money brings immediate expectations. True or not, she was rumored to be interviewing with both TT and Virginia so I don't think a Texas offer would be declined.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Is Mississippi St. a Pac 12 school? Will @southie be doing any backtracking now? Vic Schaefer to Texas per various twitter postings.

Reaction Score
Is Mississippi St. a Pac 12 school? Will @southie be doing any backtracking now? Vic Schaefer to Texas per various twitter postings.
Well Miss state had to pay a lot more money to bring Leach from the PAC12 for their football so they couldn't counter for Vic. The PAC12 still helped Texas get their coach. Good news for us PAC12 WBB fans, we keep all our good coaches and SEC gets even worse.

Reaction Score
Well Miss state had to pay a lot more money to bring Leach from the PAC12 for their football so they couldn't counter for Vic. The PAC12 still helped Texas get their coach. Good news for us PAC12 WBB fans, we keep all our good coaches and SEC gets even worse.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Not sure I'm reaching the conclusion that this is good for the PAC-12. Speaking as a fan of the team that lured two Ogwumikes and Kiana Williams from the state of Texas, I'm not sure I think having a top 5 coach at a top 5 program that is also a major PAC-12 recruiting ground is a good thing.

I think Texas is like California, plenty of talent for everybody. Schools outside Texas have been getting players out of there all these years that Mulkey and Baylor have been among the tops in WCBB. And Texas was recruiting fairly well during Aston's tenure. This could have some impact, sure, but maybe not a huge one.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Some more movement on the coaching changes today.

Carrie Banks, assistant coach at Ohio State the past four years, has been hired at Omaha.

Plebe

Reaction Score
It's not often you see this. A resignation and replacement announced on the exact same day. UNC Asheville assistant is promoted to head coach.

This is one of @triaddukefan 's teams and conferences, and so I look forward to him weighing in.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Thats a surprise outta Asheville :eek: Guess its good that they are elevating the top assistant coach.

Final words from the outgoing coach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom