Coaching changes 2020 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Coaching changes 2020

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Montana becomes the third program, along with North Dakota and Winthrop, to promote an assistant to interim coach for the 2020-21 season.

Mike Petrino becomes the 18th head coach hired in this offseason, and only the 2nd male HC.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Montana becomes the third program, along with North Dakota and Winthrop, to promote an assistant to interim coach for the 2020-21 season.

Mike Petrino becomes the 18th head coach hired in this offseason, and only the 2nd male HC.

Given the havoc the COVID-19 fallout is wreaking with university budgets, I'm not at all surprised that non-elite programs are going with budget-conscious interim head coach approaches...

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
PLUS the Leopard skirt...priceless

An endangered cat died to make that skirt:(

I wonder if he is any kin to Bobby. I know Bobby is from Montana.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I wonder if he is any kin to Bobby. I know Bobby is from Montana.
Last paragraph of article says: "Petrino, who hails from arguably the most famous football family to ever come from Montana, replaces Shannon Schweyen who led the Lady Griz for four years."

Edit to add: His bio says he's a cousin of Bobby and Paul Petrino.

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Lest this bit of news from the MEAC be lost amid the hubbub ...

Florida A&M is parting ways with Kevin Lynum after one season as head coach. He was initially hired as an assistant before the 2018-19 season, and then was promoted to interim HC in February 2019 when the previous coach was suddenly fired.

He may not have won many games, but if nothing else he deserves style points:

1587599205391.png

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Muffet McGraw resigned from ND. Niele Ivey is hired to take her place.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Lest this bit of news from the MEAC be lost amid the hubbub ...

Florida A&M is parting ways with Kevin Lynum after one season as head coach. He was initially hired as an assistant before the 2018-19 season, and then was promoted to interim HC in February 2019 when the previous coach was suddenly fired.

He may not have won many games, but if nothing else he deserves style points:

View attachment 53438

Ha. My longest tenured friend is a Rattler...... never paid attention to the school colors until he went there. Its a hard color combo to pull off, but that coach did it well in that pic.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Ha. My longest tenured friend is a Rattler...... never paid attention to the school colors until he went there. Its a hard color combo to pull off, but that coach did it well in that pic.
I'm actually fond of the color combo, something very distinctive and lively about it. It doesn't make me want to puke like that Vol orange does.

1587608594171.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Coach McCray-Penson is bringing her three assistants, Associate Head Coach K Freeman, Assitant Coach S Brownlee, Assitant Coach and Recruiting Coordinator B Young as well as her Director of Basketball Operations A Morris, with her to Mississippi State. The previous Director of Basketball Ball Operations Mary Ann Baker is staying but getting a promotion to another position but still in the women’s basketball program. She was the point guard for the TAM national championship team.
Coach Freeman as associate head coach is a great move as he was a head coach for over 25 years and brings a lot of experience and stability. Our fan base tends to be around Coach Schaefer’s age so he can also help in that regard.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Assistant coach who spent the least amount of time (8 months or so) at Texas compared to the others is the first to land a new job:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I think very highly of Nooner, but ... is he just hopping from one sinking ship to another here?
Well Schneider does have 2 more years left on his contract and he is one of the lowest paid coaches in the P5 and his results represent that...How he still has a job is a good question, but I guess if you pad OOC schedule with the 309th ranked to get 11 of your 15 wins you can hang on to it...

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
The full article with Arkansas' head coach discussing his current activities, and thoughts on Vic Schaefer:

Shutdown comes at a good time for Neighbors

Neighbors also talked about the departure of Mississippi State coach Vic Schaefer, who recently took over at Texas. Both Neighbors and Schaefer worked together at Arkansas under Gary Blair, now the coach at Texas A&M.

“I was floored. ... You would have never seen me bet one dollar on Vic (going to Texas), but it makes sense,” Neighbors said. “When you look now and seeing potential cuts going on at Mississippi State and Vic’s a Texas guy, and I don’t think there’s any sign that Coach Blair is retiring any time soon, yes it makes sense now that you look back at it.

“But honestly, I’m glad he’s out of the league (Southeastern Conference), I’m not going to hold back on that. He had built Mississippi State into a monster; I’m not going to say that Nikki (McCray-Penson, who replaced Schaefer at Mississippi State) is not going to keep it going, but I know Vic and what he had done and proven it. (They were the) hardest team probably for us to play against, even mentioning South Carolina.”

Reaction Score
I think very highly of Nooner, but ... is he just hopping from one sinking ship to another here?

if you don't have a job, how picky can you be? Plus he went to Kansas and is from Kansas. The risk is turning this down and waiting for something that does not come. Throw in the economic situation, some schools are in a hiring freeze.

Reaction Score
if you don't have a job, how picky can you be? Plus he went to Kansas and is from Kansas. The risk is turning this down and waiting for something that does not come. Throw in the economic situation, some schools are in a hiring freeze.

Fair point, though I heard he also was offered a similar role at Florida. Now, the Gators have also not been good as of late, and their coach might be considered to have something of a warm seat, but they did show some improvement last year, and they seem to be in the conversation for some great recruits -- which is something I think Nooner could have potentially helped with.

Of course, Nooner is a KU alum, as well.

Reaction Score
The full article with Arkansas' head coach discussing his current activities, and thoughts on Vic Schaefer:

Shutdown comes at a good time for Neighbors

Neighbors also talked about the departure of Mississippi State coach Vic Schaefer, who recently took over at Texas. Both Neighbors and Schaefer worked together at Arkansas under Gary Blair, now the coach at Texas A&M.

“I was floored. ... You would have never seen me bet one dollar on Vic (going to Texas), but it makes sense,” Neighbors said. “When you look now and seeing potential cuts going on at Mississippi State and Vic’s a Texas guy, and I don’t think there’s any sign that Coach Blair is retiring any time soon, yes it makes sense now that you look back at it.

“But honestly, I’m glad he’s out of the league (Southeastern Conference), I’m not going to hold back on that. He had built Mississippi State into a monster; I’m not going to say that Nikki (McCray-Penson, who replaced Schaefer at Mississippi State) is not going to keep it going, but I know Vic and what he had done and proven it. (They were the) hardest team probably for us to play against, even mentioning South Carolina.”

You can listen to the whole teleconference -- which is pretty typical Neighbors, free-wheeling and speaking off the cuff -- on the ArkansasRazorbacks.com site -- full disclosure: it's 50 minutes long, and he touches on a wide variety of things.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Former head coach at Oberlin (D3), Eastern Michigan (D1) and Virginia Union (D2).

Assistant coach at Michigan State under Joanne P. McCallie for 5 seasons (2002-07), including their run to the 2005 national championship game.

Plebe

Reaction Score
South Carolina Upstate's Tammy George has resigned after 15 years at the helm.

Upstate was a D2 team before they joined the ASUN in 2007. They moved to the Big South two years ago.

That makes 3 coaching changes in the Big South this offseason, more than any other D1 conference.
@triaddukefan

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
South Carolina Upstate's Tammy George has resigned after 15 years at the helm.

Upstate was a D2 team before they joined the ASUN in 2007. They moved to the Big South two years ago.

That makes 3 coaching changes in the Big South this offseason, more than any other D1 conference.
@triaddukefan

The Big South is a dog eat dog conference... no easy nights........ stay stagnant at your own peril.

One interesting name that could resurface.... Heather Macy... formerly of ECU...... currently at Spartanburg Methodist. They could hire her... and not worry about paying for moving expenses.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
The Big South is a dog eat dog conference... no easy nights........ stay stagnant at your own peril.

One interesting name that could resurface.... Heather Macy... formerly of ECU...... currently at Spartanburg Methodist. They could hire her... and not worry about paying for moving expenses.
Any insight into the departure?

As to Macy - am I confusing her with someone else or where there "issues"?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom