Coaching changes 2020 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Coaching changes 2020

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Chicago State job is now open.

Probably the worst job in D1 WBB. Good luck finding somebody willing to take that position.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Probably the worst job in D1 WBB.
I almost said this very thing, but refrained from editorializing.

Just three years ago, the NYT ran an article that illustrated the major institutional challenges facing the Chicago State program:

At least one person at Chicago State is optimistic about the future:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Asst. Coach Johnnie Harris with her goodbyes to Miss. State:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
This could be a big issue for Syracuse. Wasn’t she their big recruiter?

She's been on a whirlwind tour. Pepperdine head coach, assistant at Syracuse, now HC again at ODU in the last 3 years. Where to next?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
She's been on a whirlwind tour. Pepperdine head coach, assistant at Syracuse, now HC again at ODU in the last 3 years. Where to next?
Why did she leave Pepperdine?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Why did she leave Pepperdine?

Not really sure, and makes less sense now that she's right back to being at a mid major. ODU is maybe a bit higher profile than Pepperdine. Maybe she wanted to be on the East Coast?

Plebe

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Interesting article. In an interview Johnnie Harris reveals details about how she tried for the MSU job but was ultimately passed over.

Probably about as fair an article as I have seen on it. Coach Harris is an outstanding coach and even better individual. In my opinion the two biggest strikes against her was her being the good cop to Coach Schaefer’s bad cop and her lack of a record to judge her as a head coach for a program with so much to lose if they miscalculated the hire. If she wants to be a head coach then she should go be a head coach.
Only slight correction is that C Bibby was leaving even if Coach Schaefer had stayed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Interesting article. In an interview Johnnie Harris reveals details about how she tried for the MSU job but was ultimately passed over.

She clearly wanted that badly but the lack of a HC track record was ultimately too big of a risk/question mark for MSU AD. Harris is a terrific coach and has a lot of qualities to be a very strong coach somewhere else in the future. She was one of the better recruiters on staff for MSU and has been known as one of the best post player coaches out there.

Looking forward to how she would do as a HC if she decides to go for it in the future. I think she has a lot of potential but it usually takes some time to learn the ropes as a HC and I don't think MSU wanted to take a chance on that right now for a first timer.

I don't think her being a "good cop" is a bad thing but there needs to be a balance on every staff to complement and fill in for your strengths and weaknesses.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Johnnie Harris to Texas is now official:

She and Vic were able to whip up some magic in Starkville. Looking forward to see how they do in Austin, especially with Collier.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
She and Vic were able to whip up some magic in Starkville. Looking forward to see how they do in Austin, especially with Collier.
Yup, that makes one of us...:rolleyes:

Plebe

Reaction Score
South Florida assistant Jesyka Burks-Wiley is hired at Florida International.

Oddly, I can't track down any kind of press release, news story, or even a tweet announcing the departure of former HC Tiara Malcolm since the end of the season.

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score

Plebe

Reaction Score
The list of D1 schools with WBB head coach changes is now at 26, with 17 of the positions filled.

Interestingly, 16 of the 17 new head coaches are women; Vic Schaefer is the only male. Seven of the 16 new female HCs are replacing men.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The list of D1 schools with WBB head coach changes is now at 25, with 17 of the positions filled.

Interestingly, 16 of the 17 new head coaches are women; Vic Schaefer is the only male. Seven of the 16 new female HCs are replacing men.
1587440812255.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom