triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

I told no lies
33.gif

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Reportedly Cunningham wanted to stay. Could be Ivey thought it was important to have an assistant with experience as a head coach at a P5 school (Owens was HC at Northern Illinois). Or, could be BC didn't exactly step up and fill the role Ivey played for Muffet before leaving last year.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Reportedly Cunningham wanted to stay. Could be Ivey thought it was important to have an assistant with experience as a head coach at a P5 school (Owens was HC at Northern Illinois). Or, could be BC didn't exactly step up and fill the role Ivey played for Muffet before leaving last year.

There has been a lot of discussion on this at the Bench and within the South Bend community, as you can imagine, including:
- While not a P5 coach, Beth Morgan Cunningham was a fairly successful head coach at VCU for nearly a decade. While not as demonstrative as Niele, Muffet acknowledged Cunningham's contributions to in-game changes in strategy and her background as a HC to keeping the overall coaching staff sailing smoothly.
- Some folks think Niele simply wants to work with Coquese Washington, who was Ivey's position coach when Ivey was the point guard on the 2011 NC team.
- Plus, Washington is a former collegiate and professional point guard, in addition to her PG coaching background. She can work with incoming combo guard Alasia Hayes and current combo guard Katlyn Gilbert, who will man the PG position this year.
- Perhaps just as importantly, you can bet she'll be step-for-step with prized 2021 recruit Olivia Miles the moment that PG gets on campus.
- Given the uncertainties of all aspects of collegiate sports, financing probably was a factor. Owens and Cunningham were assc. head coaches at ND and Washington was at Oklahoma. Even if Ivey is (probably) not being paid what McGraw was, I'm sure AD Jack Swarbrick wanted to keep the staff at two assc. head coaches, with Michaela (Mike) Mabrey filling out the staff.

One thing for sure: Morgan Cunningham was embedded in the ND-South Bend community (she and her husband are both ND grads). There's a rumor that she's applied for the assistant coaching spot open on the UNC staff under Courtney Banghart. The AD at UNC is an ND alum, "Bubba" Cunningham. Will be interesting to see where and in what capacity she emerges in next.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Any idea about the status of Sue Semrau at Florida State? Her contract ended this season and I haven’t seen any extension news yet.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Any idea about the status of Sue Semrau at Florida State? Her contract ended this season and I haven’t seen any extension news yet.
Maybe it didn't end? A silent extension? I can't explain it. One of the coaches I tend to root for when I don't really have any interest in the school. Followed her career there and consider her good.

Not only haven't heard about an extension, but no rumours the other way either. And it is well past the time the school would be looking for a new coach, so I'm sure she's going to be there, I just have no idea of the means.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
USC-Upstate has their new coach. Becky Burke... former Louisville player.

Reaction Score
There's rumblings at Denver University, as the coaches have been removed from the roster page. As this is my local team, I'm keeping an eye on this one, although South Dakota is welcome to come and trounce them every year.

Reaction Score
Stanford with a complete overhaul of the coaching staff. Lindy La Rocque's departure followed by Tempie Brown's decision to spend more time with her family and step away opened up two spots on the Stanford sideline. Britney Anderson (Va Tech AC) and Katy Steding (AC at San Francisco and Tara's First Recruit) shall come to the Farm. I like these changes, especially since Anderson might help with sneaking a few East Coast recruits away over the next few years such as Kiki Rice.

Steding, Anderson Join Cardinal - Stanford University Athletics

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Stanford with a complete overhaul of the coaching staff. Lindy La Rocque's departure followed by Tempie Brown's decision to spend more time with her family and step away opened up two spots on the Stanford sideline. Britney Anderson (Va Tech AC) and Katy Steding (AC at San Francisco and Tara's First Recruit) shall come to the Farm. I like these changes, especially since Anderson might help with sneaking a few East Coast recruits away over the next few years such as Kiki Rice.

Steding, Anderson Join Cardinal - Stanford University Athletics

There's a ton of cross pollination between Stanford and USF. Tara's sister Heidi was briefly on the staff, current head coach is Molly Goodenbour, and previously Jennifer Azzi was the head coach. It seems like there wouldn't even be a USF women's program without Stanford.

Reaction Score
There's a ton of cross pollination between Stanford and USF. Tara's sister Heidi was briefly on the staff, current head coach is Molly Goodenbour, and previously Jennifer Azzi was the head coach. It seems like there wouldn't even be a USF women's program without Stanford.

Absolutely. I appreciate you using the correct abbreviation for the REAL USF. I think this is a good infusion of new blood combined with an old stalwart for Stanford. I’m very excited to see how it pans out.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Absolutely. I appreciate you using the correct abbreviation for the REAL USF. I think this is a good infusion of new blood combined with an old stalwart for Stanford. I’m very excited to see how it pans out.

I've said on here before... that the real USF resides on the west coast..... but they dont wanna listen to me
33.gif
33.gif
33.gif

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
When was the last time the University of San Francisco won a game in the NCAA women's tournament? :cool:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
When was the last time the University of San Francisco won a game in the NCAA women's tournament? :cool:

Did some research.... 2016... first round loss to Stanford.

But.... they have a sweet 16 appearance in 1996. Not sure if South Florida has made a Sweet 16 yet.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Did some research.... 2016... first round loss to Stanford.

But.... they have a sweet 16 appearance in 1996. Not sure if South Florida has made a Sweet 16 yet.
So ... has San Francisco won an NCAA tournament game in the past 23 years? How many tournament appearances since 2000? Any at-large bids?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
No nights off in the West Coast Conference, right?

They are the west coast version of the Big South... except they are stronger at the top... and the bottom.... and the middle.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Not sure how it bodes for the future of women coaches in the NBA to see two of the "new hires" dump their new employers within a year to coach NCAAW.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom