Coaching changes 2020 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Coaching changes 2020

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Seems like you'd have to offer her beaucoup bucks because (a) she went to Zona, (b) she is and made this program so it is hers for the foreseeable future, and (c) Tucson cost of living is a fraction of Austin's, so it's not just pay but also pay vs. cost of living.

At this point, seems like Arizona has the better basketball programs for both men and women. Not seeing Texas as an overly desirable lateral these days.
Not all coaches are in it for the highest salary they can get; everyone has different reasons for accepting/declining a job.

Yes, I realize Barnes and some of the other PAC 12 coaches have ties to their schools, states, regions, etc. But, we all know the PAC 12 is in trouble financially compared to the other P5 conferences. Raises for the coaches in all sports except football and men's basketball aren't gonna be huge in the coming years.

Barnes would be smart to at least "flirt" with Texas. At a minimum, it will get her a raise from her boss.

Texas was paying Gail Goestenkors $1 million a year back in 2007. We went on the cheap and hired Karen Aston for $600,000; a few years later, she's bumped up to $850,000 or so. If Texas is willing to offer its new head coach about $1.2 million, it will peek the interest of many coaches making half that amount in their current PAC 12 position.

A couple of years ago, no one expected Texas would be able to lure away Oregon's softball head coach, Mike White. But, we did. And, his program was Top 5 in the country and PAC 12 champions.

Reaction Score
Maybe Texas will lure Tina Thompson back to Austin?

Based on her stellar run at Virginia? I'd say that would be a miss. Texas is going to want to go after some big fish. Mediocrity won't cut it in Austin.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Who though? I can't see Barnes leaving Arizona just as she's built the program into a solid top team, Rueck leaving OSU (he's a native Oregonian and not a Texas type at all), Graves leaving Oregon (they CAN pay), Tara leaving Stanford, or Close leaving UCLA. Beyond those, other than maybe CTT, I don't see who's an attractive get?
I'm assuming you know how low of a salary Close is earning. I honestly can't fathom that salary with such a high cost of living in LA. Barnes is "new" to the head coaching world; maybe she his happy with her current salary (even though it's low). Graves is making a lot less than I thought he was earning.

Again, I think they would all listen (assuming they have agents advising them) to any interest from Texas. They very well could decline based on their priorities.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Based on her stellar run at Virginia? I'd say that would be a miss. Texas is going to want to go after some big fish. Mediocrity won't cut it in Austin.
Just my opinion, but it doesn't have to a be "big fish". Just someone who is s good x's and o's coach, a good/great recruiter, hard worker, and has some NCAA tourney success (or on the verge).

Reaction Score
Given recent events, money-whipping a top name may not be much of an option, even for Texas. If all or part of the college football season is lost, the loss of revenue will be devastating for all other sports. I can't see an AD giving out a big money guarantee with the future so hazy. If Aston's contract hadn't been up, I highly doubt Texas would have made a move at this time.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I've started a separate thread here, as the Texas job probably deserves its own thread.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Just my opinion, but it doesn't have to a be "big fish". Just someone who is s good x's and o's coach, a good/great recruiter, hard worker, and has some NCAA tourney success (or on the verge).

In that vein, I'd suggest your AD have a look/talk with Tina Langley at Rice. She's pretty much resurrected that program at an academically presitigous school with an adept use of recruiting and transfers. Now might be a good time for her to make a move, given that her star player, Erica Ogwumike, is graduating. (Yes, she still has 6'9" Nancy Mulkey there for one more year).

Before Texas, she was associate head coach for Brenda Freese at Maryland, taking over the Jeff Walz slot. And before that, stints at Georgia (under Andy Landers) and Clemson.

Perhaps not the PAC12 firecracker, but perhaps a person ready to take the next step up. And given the uncertainty of how this event is going to affect college athletics, she probably wouldn't chew up a budget.

Last edited:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Given recent events, money-whipping a top name may not be much of an option, even for Texas. If all or part of the college football season is lost, the loss of revenue will be devastating for all other sports. I can't see an AD giving out a big money guarantee with the future so hazy. If Aston's contract hadn't been up, I highly doubt Texas would have made a move at this time.
This times 1000. Stanford has one of the largest university endowments in the world, and this was the email that the provost just sent out yesterday:

To our Stanford community,

As we approach a new spring quarter in a dramatically changed world, I am writing to update you on several issues, including spring instruction, our plans for summer programs, and new steps we need to take to address the serious financial challenges to the university posed by COVID-19.

First, I want to acknowledge the magnitude of change that we all are living with right now. The scale of disruption created by the COVID-19 pandemic is unprecedented in most of our lifetimes. All of us are trying to work in new ways while dealing with interruptions to our plans and projects. Many of our undergraduate students have had to move on short notice. People across our community are caring for children at home or worrying about the health of loved ones. I deeply appreciate the grace, self-sacrifice and thoughtfulness for the well-being of others that I have seen across our community in this time of such profound challenge.

Stanford, as a community, also confronts a fundamentally changed environment. We must continue our work of educating students, developing new knowledge for the world and providing the best health care for patients. Our world needs these things urgently. But we need to do so in altered ways, and I am writing to explain some of those alterations.

The spring quarter

As you know, we are about to begin a fully online spring quarter – and though it will be online, we expect it to be an engaging and rigorous quarter for students. I’m grateful to our faculty, who are responding with vigor and creativity to the demand for new ways of teaching, deeply committed to supporting the continued academic success of our students.

Please know that we also will continue providing support services for our students, both those on campus and those studying from afar. Vaden, Residence Deans, Graduate Life Office deans, the Office of Accessible Education, community centers and our other staff in Student Affairs continue to be available to you. This is an especially important time to support our own and each other’s emotional well-being. CAPS, the Faculty Staff Help Center and our other support resources continue to be available to our community – please call on them.

In this period of significant disruption, while tuition remains unchanged for spring quarter, we are focused on providing financial assistance to students in need. More information on tuition and financial aid is available on our website for those who have questions. We do understand that family circumstances are changing, and we will work with students and families who are in financial distress due to the coronavirus pandemic to ensure you are able to continue your education at Stanford. We encourage you to reach out if you need help. Please be in touch with the Financial Aid Office or, for graduate students, the appropriate office within your school for assistance.

Summer programs and research

We do not expect to be able to offer on-campus residential programs this summer. The university’s Summer Session will be online-only. Other summer programs, for both youth and university-level students, that have an on-campus residential component generally will need to be shifted to an online-only format or otherwise be canceled. (Undergraduates who are currently approved to reside on campus for spring quarter will have the opportunity to request to remain for the summer if their circumstances require it.)

We are very sorry to have to take this additional step in response to COVID-19. Though the summer is a few months away, many summer program deadlines are approaching quickly. It appears increasingly likely that some level of social distancing will be needed for some time, and a return to “normal” campus activities will not be able to occur overnight. We have concluded that it simply is not feasible to proceed with normal programming this summer.

I know that many of you will have questions about specific programs offered during the summer. Many programs will need to make new plans. I am asking that each program provide information to its constituents within the next week about its updated plans for the summer and the implications for participants.

I also know that many in our community, including graduate students and postdocs, are eager to return to their normal research activities. While we hope to do this at the earliest opportunity, we do not yet know when it will be feasible. We are continually evaluating lab health and safety procedures in light of public health guidance, and we have resources available regarding remote work that can be done on sponsored research activities.

A challenging financial period

While we work to sustain our academic mission, Stanford must also now confront a serious financial challenge. Each day brings new evidence of massive economic disruptions now occurring across our nation as a result of COVID-19. While we are still evaluating the full dimensions of the challenge for Stanford, we know it will be significant.

The challenge begins in the current fiscal year, when we are seeing both increased costs associated with our pandemic response, as well as major loss of revenue from programs that are being canceled or curtailed. We also expect major financial impacts in FY21. The recent steep drop in the financial markets and likely continued market volatility almost certainly will significantly impact the university’s endowment, reducing resources available in the next academic year.

As Stanford’s leaders did during the last financial downturn of 2008-09, we will strive to make thoughtful choices that protect our community as best we can during the downturn while positioning us for a speedy recovery. We will need your partnership in confronting this challenge, as we work together to sustain an excellent educational program for our students, and an excellent research ecosystem that addresses our world’s pressing demands for new knowledge, while supporting our community.

While our full response will evolve over time, given the impacts we already know will occur we are taking the following initial steps now:
  • Senior leadership pay reduction: The President and I are taking a voluntary base pay reduction of 20% each. We are asking members of the Cabinet, the senior leadership of the university, to take voluntary base reductions of 5-10% each.
  • Salary freeze: We are freezing faculty and staff salaries immediately. Increases will not be provided during the next year other than those required by a collective bargaining agreement, or those required in exceptional circumstances with the approval of a Dean, the Provost or the President.
  • Faculty and staff hiring pause: As previously announced, we are asking that faculty searches and hiring for staff positions be paused.
  • Continuation of support for graduate students: Many graduate students rely on summer educational programs as a source of income. Many programs will not go forward as planned. We are asking all departments and programs to work with graduate students in this situation to explore alternate work opportunities and sources of support.
  • Summer earnings waiver for undergraduates: Many undergraduates who receive financial aid are expected to contribute summer earnings to their cost of attendance. The summer earnings expectation will be waived for all new incoming students and continuing undergraduates for summer 2020.
  • Pay continuation for staff: At this time, we continue to provide pay continuation for our regular full-time and benefits-eligible part-time employees, including those whose regular work has been disrupted by the COVID-19 pandemic. This includes the food service workers and custodians directly employed by R&DE in student residences. Because we are seeking to minimize impacts to our regular workforce to the greatest extent possible, we unfortunately are not able to extend additional commitments to others including workers who are employed by a contractor.
  • Discretionary spending: We are asking all units to re-evaluate their discretionary spending and pull back on all spending that is not critical to ongoing operations.
  • Capital projects: All capital projects are on hold during the current “shelter in place” with the exception of projects deemed essential by the county. All other projects are being re-evaluated to determine whether and when they should proceed. No new capital projects will be approved at this time.
These words are painful for me to write, and I anticipate they are difficult for you to read. We expect to get more clarity in the weeks ahead about the details of the financial picture for the university and the further steps we need to take in response. I will continue to be in touch with you as we learn more, and as we work to make decisions to sustain our 129-year mission of teaching and research for the benefit of the wider world.

Thank you for everything you are doing to support one another during this extraordinary time for our nation and world, and for our university.

Sincerely,

Persis Drell
Provost

Tl;dr: Huge financial cuts ahead, salary freezes, pay cuts, faculty and staff hiring pause, and many capital projects will be "re-evaluated to determine whether or when they should proceed."

I truly don't think folks realize how screwed higher education is about to be. I can't see any universe where the Texas AD can responsibly extend a $1.2m contract for a WBB coach in this climate, let alone a large fraction of that.

Reaction Score
In that vein, I'd suggest your AD have a look/talk with Tina Langley at Rice. She's pretty much resurrected that program at an academically presitigous school with an adept use of recruiting and transfers. Now might be a good time for her to make a move, given that her star player, Erica Ogwumike, is graduating. (Yes, she still has 6'9" Nancy Mulkey there for one more year).

Before Texas, she was associate head coach for Brenda Freese at Maryland, taking over the Jeff Walz slot. And before that, stints at Georgia (under Andy Landers) and Clemson.

Perhaps not the PAC12 firecracker, but perhaps a person ready to take the next step up. And given the uncertainty of how this event is going to affect college athletics, she probably wouldn't chew up a budget.

In the other thread re Texas I suggested Bernabei-McNamee from BC. The price is right and, even though it's her first year at BC, her history suggests she would be flexible re moving.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
In the other thread re Texas I suggested Bernabei-McNamee from BC. The price is right and, even though it's her first year at BC, her history suggests she would be flexible re moving.

Hah! We owe each other a beer :D I just replied to you. Both are from the Maryland coaching tree (which can certainly help with recruiting). I like Langley simply because she's five years into her assignment at Rice and is located in Texas (Houston) and is hopefully more familiar with the recruiting circles there. I love Bernabei-McNamee at BC and thinks that her ability to coach up will become even more of a value once she extends her recruiting reach (hint for BC, coach: visit the Catholic Schools at the Jersey shore, early and often).

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
According to this, from 2016-17, the difference in total compensation between Close and Aston was less than $50k apart...

View attachment 52639

(total compensation is the last column on the right - as you can see, Aston's base salary was higher, but Close had more in "other" compensation)
Karen receive a raise in Fall 2017 which bumped her up from $600k to $850k.

Don't forget to factor in that Texas has no state income tax like California does, and the cost of living in Austin is significantly less than in LA. :D

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Not all coaches are in it for the highest salary they can get; everyone has different reasons for accepting/declining a job.

Yes, I realize Barnes and some of the other PAC 12 coaches have ties to their schools, states, regions, etc. But, we all know the PAC 12 is in trouble financially compared to the other P5 conferences. Raises for the coaches in all sports except football and men's basketball aren't gonna be huge in the coming years.

Barnes would be smart to at least "flirt" with Texas. At a minimum, it will get her a raise from her boss.

Texas was paying Gail Goestenkors $1 million a year back in 2007. We went on the cheap and hired Karen Aston for $600,000; a few years later, she's bumped up to $850,000 or so. If Texas is willing to offer its new head coach about $1.2 million, it will peek the interest of many coaches making half that amount in their current PAC 12 position.

A couple of years ago, no one expected Texas would be able to lure away Oregon's softball head coach, Mike White. But, we did. And, his program was Top 5 in the country and PAC 12 champions.
But White could not deliver the goods in the world series. They flopped every year and froze up because he put so much pressure on them. I guess if conference championships and a Bobby Knight style is what you want more power to everyone.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
But White could not deliver the goods in the world series. They flopped every year and froze up because he put so much pressure on them. I guess if conference championships and a Bobby Knight style is what you want more power to everyone.
We get it. You hate Mike White.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
We get it. You hate Mike White.
I found Oregon under White one of the few PAC programs I could not root for as a conference mate. UCLA and ASU are the other 2. And it wasn't ASU back in the day when Myers was there.

Will never root for UCLA softball, by the way. Can't do it.

I don't know why we didn't like White, but we didn't. Historically, we have rooted for Texas (family in the area) but I just couldn't do it with White there.

Reaction Score
I found Oregon under White one of the few PAC programs I could not root for as a conference mate. UCLA and ASU are the other 2. And it wasn't ASU back in the day when Myers was there.

Will never root for UCLA softball, by the way. Can't do it.

I don't know why we didn't like White, but we didn't. Historically, we have rooted for Texas (family in the area) but I just couldn't do it with White there.
Southie won't pull the pitching stats of Oregon teams in the WCWS. Miranda English, Cheridan Hawkins and Megan Kliest would freeze up and opposing ptchers hit on them like batting machine. The reason why, well White's applying maximum pressure on them melted their confidence come WCWS time.

So here it is to paying a coach for conference championships when he has not proved himself ever on the big stage.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Southie won't pull the pitching stats of Oregon teams in the WCWS. Miranda English, Cheridan Hawkins and Megan Kliest would freeze up and opposing ptchers hit on them like batting machine. The reason why, well White's applying maximum pressure on them melted their confidence come WCWS time.

So here it is to paying a coach for conference championships when he has not proved himself ever on the big stage.
I find it confusing that you continually want to dog a softball coach here on the UConn women's basketball message board; makes no sense. Don't make this about me. It's about you and your agenda. Plain and simple. Don't drag me into your obsession.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
FWIW, there is absolutely zero love lost between Mike White and Stanford, too. There were allegations he helped get our former coach John Rittman fired. White's daughter played for Stanford softball and left the team, and there were allegations he was involved in the movement of players and parents seeking Rittman's ouster.

So KnightBridgeAZ ain't the only one who thinks White can take a long walk off a short pier. And not sure how much you pay attention to it, but the General board often has side-threads on other women's college sports like Volleyball and Soccer. Sometimes there are even threads on pro tennis. World's not going to end just because we talk about other sports from time to time.
I am not here to argue/discuss the Texas (former Oregon) softball head coach on the UConn women's basketball message board. IMO, it's completely disrespectful to those who are on here to enjoy discussion about women's hoops.

I must have have misunderstood the title of this thread, and its intended purpose.

Here's a link to a softball collegiate forum where you can discuss Mike White ad nauseam:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Ok, so now that the little sidebar of PAC12 softball is over (which I did enjoy as a huge softball fan and maybe we could start our own private chat as some good nuggets were brought up), who besides ANYONE in the PAC12 does @southie think UT will talk with. Also, BC's coach is NOT in her first year at BC. Here's her bio from Wiki

Personally, not sure that would be a good hire at Texas as she does not know the HS circles there. Could suffer the same issues that Gail did. The Big12 is not a good WCBB Conference and the #2 position should be Texas. There is NO WAY that I think Texas will ever supplant Baylor as along as Kim Mulkey is there but #2 and a regular visits to the Top 10 should be expected.
Thoughts?

Reaction Score
Intriguing development in Natchitoches.

Newly hired Northwestern State head coach Missy Bilderback has decided not to take the position after all.

Her husband is a very successful HS football coach, her dad retired from coaching a few years back. And all of her family is from the Hattiesburg area. Everything that happened with this virus made her rethink family and being close to the ones you love. Hate it for NSU, but she made a personal decision.

Reaction Score
Who though? I can't see Barnes leaving Arizona just as she's built the program into a solid top team, Rueck leaving OSU (he's a native Oregonian and not a Texas type at all), Graves leaving Oregon (they CAN pay), Tara leaving Stanford, or Close leaving UCLA. Beyond those, other than maybe CTT, I don't see who's an attractive get?
I'd be surprised if CTT would leave for any job but Stanford. She continues to have ties to Tempe and is building a legacy here.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I'd be surprised if CTT would leave for any job but Stanford. She continues to have ties to Tempe and is building a legacy here.
She was a candidate for the Texas job prior to the hiring of Goestenkors back in 2012. Not sure if she ever interviewed for the job, though. But, the local media did report her as a serious candidate (but, that is open to interpretation).

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
This is just random thinking on my part, but to me CTT leaving seems more likely than Barnes or Rueck (not sure about Close?). She's been at ASU for quite a while and has probably done as much as she can there. Rueck is trending upward in recruiting in recent years and can probably still improve the program overall. Barnes is just getting things rolling at UA. Even if she's tempted to leave, it might be a matter of bad timing. Heading into McDonald's Sr. year after she decided to come back, with a bunch of momentum building in Tucson, just seems like the wrong year to try to pry her away.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom