Coach Hurley, you have a good team | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Coach Hurley, you have a good team

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
James Bouknight is shooting 70% from the field on the season he needs to start next game and take every meaningful shot for us moving forward.
His defense is atrocious. He can’t stay on the floor. I love the kid too but his suspension setback is development.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Hold Alterique accountable for the out of control hero ball, same with Vital it's what lost us this game. We completely outplayed them the second half and then Vital and Gilbert went into hero ball mode. We have the talent where they need to sit when they pull this cr@p. We outplayed the #18 team full of hardened juniors and seniors but this is why we lost. The season will ride on how Hurley handles them, they simply can't be allowed to keep making losing plays over and over. Hero ball has to be beaten out of them.

James Bouknight is special, best freshman we've had since I can't remember. The future is bright.

I agree with this ... but I also believe that Hurley needs to let them play through SOME of this stuff. It's not as simple as "never play them again" like some people act like on Twitter and here (not you).

I agree though, I ended my GFs night b/c she was sick of me screaming obscenities at Vital for pulling up off 1 pass and 1 dribble against 3 guys. There was a segment of the end of the 1st half where those 2 guys made poor decision after poor decision. They NEED to continue (I assume they do) to emphasize good shot selection on O. That's a huge reason why our shooting % sucks. In addition to poor finishing.

Also, I've been excited by Bouk since the start of us recruiting him. And that doesn't always work out, but it appears he is as I expected.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I don’t know what the hell is wrong with Alterique. Alterique likely doesn’t know what the hell is wrong with Alterique because he‘s playing like it’s a mystery to him, too.

Vital is what he is. He believes he’s a lot better than he is and he’s determined to prove it even if it kills us. He can’t do what a senior guard should be able to do, but he does some other things that a six-foot guard should never be able to do.

He’s in a class of one in a lot of ways.

This is very important to note. We have seen flashes of Al doing too much and getting too deep, but he's NEVER consistently been this bad. To me, he's pressing a lot, and that's making him force stuff.

He and Vital are different guys. Vital has balls but he needs to know when to shoot those shots. I can't imagine Gilbert continuing to play this poor all season, he's just not this bad.

Reaction Score
The problem is Vital is top 275 in defensive rebounding, top 25 in steals, top 400 in getting to the line, top 30 in FT%

Where are you replacing that?

He was a good shooter last year (both 2% and 3%). My hope is that bouknight being on the ball more opens up vital for open 3s. But bouknight doesn’t have assist vision right now, so not sure if that Will happen.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
We don't have a go to scorer. It is most likely Bouk but he's 150 lbs soaking wet
He's 6-4 175. But he looks pretty fearless at the rim. I hope some of that toughness will show others it can be done. Wait until Sal packs some more muscle on him.

Reaction Score
It was a joke guys. I get that you're all fired up, but I figured a couple reality TV references including to the Bachelor would make that clear.

That wasn't even sarcasm above. I think they such and we'd be better off if they played supporting roles at the least, if not benched in crunch time.
They don't understand jokes on here. The question marks were the giveaway.

Reaction Score
My wife watches very little basketball. She came in early in the first half, within seconds she says that “he” is really good. Totally unprompted. She was referring to Bouknight. Even people who know nothing about basketball can see it.

I saw Ray for the first time at the Blue / White scrimmage his freshmen year. The way he just seemed to float around the floor in that scrimmage was extremely memorable, I had never seen a player move like that. Bouknight moves like that.

Exactly. It’s moronic. You choose the guy who gets you in the best situation for winning. You don’t choose Rudy until you’re up 50 points and you have 30 seconds left...

Reaction Score
Last night I told Huskybass that AG probably is my fave Husky on this team. It must be because I see him as a puppy recued from a shelter.
he’s the puppy you rescued from the shelter that keeps pissing on the carpet, but instead of house training him you just wait and assume the problem will eventually solve itself.

Reaction Score
The problem is Vital is top 275 in defensive rebounding, top 25 in steals, top 400 in getting to the line, top 30 in FT%

He was a good shooter last year (both 2% and 3%). My hope is that bouknight being on the ball more opens up vital for open 3s. But bouknight doesn’t have assist vision right now, so not sure if that Will happen.

Bouk has very good vision I have no doubt he will find open people. Agree on Vital even though I haven't always. But he was dreadful overall last night though his worst in a while. His 3 attempt was maddening at best just can't happen period, he and AG are so frustrating when they are both like that. Amazing they both played their worst against 2 teams St Joes and X yet we couldve won those games. They need to be seniors and make th veteran decisions to help this team win games when they can.

Reaction Score
Put them on the bench if they don’t do what they’re told. Then tell them to play within themselves, and show them what that means.
The biggest difference between JC vs other non-HOF coaches - JC had the quickest hook in the business . Used to drive me insane, but it’s brilliance becomes more obvious with time. AG would have been up and down with wood slivers in his until he learned the only way he would have stayed in the game is drive and dish or back it out.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What would Calhoun do with Gilbert and Vital?
Keep playing them. When Scott Burrell was a senior he decided he was the go-to leader and threw up so many bricks he made Vital look judicious. JC never made him stop.

Reaction Score
AG was frustrating to watch but his FT shooting kept us in the game. With all the foul trouble towards the end and as fatigue is setting in, I have got to assume Hurley wanted AG to draw some contact. Obviously AG had forced a lot of bad shots but I believe some of those could have sent him to the line. The refs did not help in that regard.

As for Bouk he’s a freshman and we know freshman make some mistakes, look at the reach in foul for example. As frustrating as CV and AG can be, they also make up for it in other ways. They were not in foul trouble, AG proved himself and the line and CV had some great defense plays down the stretch.

Its got to be tough coaching your new recruits and existing players and trying to make it mesh. I think AG and CV are highly capable and I can see them getting better as the season progresses due to DH’s coaching. Those guys have grown accustom to losing and it’s going to take some time to get over that. Remember the past few years we would have gotten blown out of the gym by Xavier and Florida. You can definitely see progress and it’s just the start of the season. I’m optimistic about this season.

Reaction Score
AG was frustrating to watch but his FT shooting kept us in the game. With all the foul trouble towards the end and as fatigue is setting in, I have got to assume Hurley wanted AG to draw some contact. Obviously AG had forced a lot of bad shots but I believe some of those could have sent him to the line. The refs did not help in that regard.

As for Bouk he’s a freshman and we know freshman make some mistakes, look at the reach in foul for example. As frustrating as CV and AG can be, they also make up for it in other ways. They were not in foul trouble, AG proved himself and the line and CV had some great defense plays down the stretch.

Its got to be tough coaching your new recruits and existing players and trying to make it mesh. I think AG and CV are highly capable and I can see them getting better as the season progresses due to DH’s coaching. Those guys have grown accustom to losing and it’s going to take some time to get over that. Remember the past few years we would have gotten blown out of the gym by Xavier and Florida. You can definitely see progress and it’s just the start of the season. I’m optimistic about this season.
But Bouk knew it and clearly knew it... I don’t think he’ll make that mistake again.

Reaction Score

If he was trying to draw contact, he should not look as though he wasn’t. The shots were already blocked by the time he’s on the floor.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't think AG or CV are cancerous players. They probably think they are helping their team playing like that, and Hurley has to rein them in. Sometimes a coach has to give a yellow light to players, and I think it is time for the long pullup jumpers to be removed from AG and CV's arsenal.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I wrote this days ago...the farther in Gilbert drives to the basket the smaller he gets. It's mindnumbing. He doesn't see it and no one tells him. Hurley has to stop this now.

Last night I told Huskybass that AG probably is my fave Husky on this team. It must be because I see him as a puppy recued from a shelter.

Never comes under control and slows down in the lane, maybe even a hop step or a 2 foot jump stop wouldn't kill him, so he can maneuver a bit and still be on balance to dish.

He seems to fly in, gets there, then has no options left and just tosses something up.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He's 6-4 175. But he looks pretty fearless at the rim. I hope some of that toughness will show others it can be done. Wait until Sal packs some more muscle on him.

Yeah his size is completely irrelevant rn.

Reaction Score
This is very important to note. We have seen flashes of Al doing too much and getting too deep, but he's NEVER consistently been this bad. To me, he's pressing a lot, and that's making him force stuff.

We actually have, and it coincided with Jalen going down last year.

Alterique played 5 games as the lead guard when Jalen went down and did the following shooting wise:
  • 3/10 @ SMU (lost)
  • 5/18 v. Cincinnati (lost)
  • 6/16 @ Wichita State (lost)
  • 6/15 v. South Florida (won)
  • 2/10 v. Temple (lost)
That's a FG% of 31% and he shot 16% from 3 point range. That's basically the same thing he has done in the first 4 games this year. And he only averaged 3 assists over that stretch per game along with 2.6 turnovers a game.

4 games is a small sample size, but his last 9 times out have been mostly forgettable.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Vital is averaging 10 boards a game as a 6' guard. That's patently absurd.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
We actually have, and it coincided with Jalen going down last year.

Alterique played 5 games as the lead guard when Jalen went down and did the following shooting wise:
  • 3/10 @ SMU (lost)
  • 5/18 v. Cincinnati (lost)
  • 6/16 @ Wichita State (lost)
  • 6/15 v. South Florida (won)
  • 2/10 v. Temple (lost)
That's a FG% of 31% and he shot 16% from 3 point range. That's basically the same thing he has done in the first 4 games this year. And he only averaged 3 assists over that stretch per game along with 2.6 turnovers a game.

4 games is a small sample size, but his last 9 times out have been mostly forgettable.
hey, I see what u did there. pretty nifty. and speaking of sample size, in the reasonable sample size of EOD (era of dan), we've learned that cv can't handle, prolly ('stop touching me') can't board, and ag can't shoot. not a hater and immensely enjoying the EOD (tho starting to get annoyed at the 'stop touching me' thing, and obvious need for a lobotomy for mighty mouse), well, er, ah, umm, … still immensely enjoying the EOD. big fun.

Reaction Score
There's got to be a reason why Hurley sticks with Gilbert. It sounds obvious to say but when fans think they see something so obvious and they honestly believe that a top notch d1 coach doesnt see it, i dont buy it. Ive heard people say "teach these kids how to box out" and im thinking, do we really think a head coach hasnt thought of what a rec league coach teaches his ten year olds? I wish the boneyard would stick to the chief-esque "inside knowledge stuff" as opposed to the "id be able to coach this team to a victory" nonsense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom