Coach Hurley, you have a good team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Coach Hurley, you have a good team

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
This is on Hurley and he's learning as well.

He's got 10 usable pieces, and finding the right mixes and balances will be his top challenge. I'm not as upset or critical as I've read some others here. And I don't think it's about message sending.

AG should be a pass first PG.
CV has a great nose for the call and needs to lay within himself.
Carlton wants to be more dominant, but his finish at the basket doesn't match that yet.

I don't know if these three wool or won't get there, but thd pieces around them are getting better.

No recent memory of a more confident freshman than Bouknight in his first semester, let alone first two games. I can't remember what Caron was like, but was he ever tentative? I remember Emeka doing stuff early, but really UConn has historically brought out freshmen slowly. Rip started to show as special rather early.

The fact that the first instinct is to harken back to Caron, Emeka, and Rip says it all. I hope you know how long of a season you're in for, Herr Hans.

Reaction Score
We don't have a go to scorer. It is most likely Bouk but he's 150 lbs soaking wet

Reaction Score
Sorry guys need to hold DH accountable as much as anyone. The end of regulation play call was horrendous. Not to get the ball in Bouknights hands was awful. Then the staff didn’t have Sid ready for offense defense that’s in them too.

AG was good in regulation until the last play which was awful and in OT he became his out of control self. Frustrating as fn hell we lost this one.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
It was a joke guys. I get that you're all fired up, but I figured a couple reality TV references including to the Bachelor would make that clear.
I got it. thought it was kinda funny, too. maybe the 'left at the airport, home alone' angle would work also, but your stuff was better.

Reaction Score

He's got 10 usable pieces, and finding the right mixes and balances will be his top challenge. I'm not as upset or critical as I've read some others here. And I don't think it's about message sending.

Carlton wants to be more dominant, but his finish at the basket doesn't match that yet.

I don't know if these three wool or won't get there, but thd pieces around them are getting better.

No recent memory of a more confident freshman than Bouknight in his first semester, let alone first two games. I can't remember what Caron was like, but was he ever tentative? I remember Emeka doing stuff early, but really UConn has historically brought out freshmen slowly. Rip started to show as special rather early.
Ray. Ben. Bazz (with rat tail for his homie version). Lamb. But yes. I here you. And that forever ago

Reaction Score
Sorry guys need to hold DH accountable as much as anyone. The end of regulation play call was horrendous. Not to get the ball in Bouknights hands was awful. Then the staff didn’t have Sid ready for offense defense that’s in them too.

AG was good in regulation until the last play which was awful and in OT he became his out of control self. Frustrating as fn hell we lost this one.
Not to mention how is vital one of our most questionable decision makers our inbounder under the basket?

Reaction Score

I'm only upset because we have a chance to be very good, it's not gonna happen this year if he doesn't get Gilbert and Vital fixed. The future is really bright. Two games in and you can already see Bouknight has "it" and when I say "it" I'm throwing him in with Caron, Rip, Ray, etc. He is supremely talented and really knows the game.

Reaction Score
Some of the stuff Gilbert put in the air tonight was shocking.

Like just stuff I can't even comprehend that a D1 basketball player thinks would be OK. Plus with the rumors he was hurt prior to the game, I can't process in my head how Dan was OK rolling him out there and then watching what he watched in long stretches like that.

There's an aura of loyaltyto the upper classmen and I get that on a level. But they're killing us right now - and there isn't a reason for that to be happening - especially w/ Bouknight in the fold. I'm a Hurley guy through and through but jesus.

Reaction Score
If Akok was benched to send a message and Gilbert is not … count me as baffled
That's upsetting if true and it seems to be the case. That sends a bad message.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

CV has a great nose for the call and needs to play within himself.
Carlton wants to be more dominant, but his finish at the basket doesn't match that yet. Needs to improve FT shooting to maximize strength moves if can make that shift.

I don't know if these three will or won't get there, but the pieces around them are getting better. And that's great because it means options if they don't do what's needed.

No recent memory of a more confident freshman than Bouknight in his first semester, let alone first two games.

I can't remember what Caron was like, but was he ever tentative? I remember Emeka doing stuff early, but really UConn has historically brought out freshmen slowly. Rip started to show as special rather early.
right joe, we are the men! (luv dat)

Reaction Score
I got it. thought it was kinda funny, too. maybe the 'left at the airport, home alone' angle would work also, but your stuff was better.

I think people thought I was being glib and casting OP as reactionary, but I really do agree with @superjohn's sentiment. Vital and Gilbert need to be ancillary or supporting pieces at best.

We turned the game around with Brendan Adams hounding dudes and getting the ball to Carlton, and the same was true against Buffalo.

Hurley doesn't really have any real offense, so transition opportunities, Carlton post ups/follow-ups when he inevitably misses, and Polley/Akok kick out 3s have to be the offense. At least until Bouknight is ready to take a primary role.

Reaction Score
Its probably my preference that I like Vital but I don't hate him nearly as much. He makes a ton of bad decisions and should be benched to fix it, but I still have confidence in him. Gilbert is just a disaster, and he's still the one with the ball late in the game

Reaction Score
Rique and Vital do so many things right, but continue to make low BBQ errors. They need consequences if we are going to make a splash in-conference.
"Reek" I think thats what you meant too spell.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hold Alterique accountable for the out of control hero ball, same with Vital it's what lost us this game. We completely outplayed them the second half and then Vital and Gilbert went into hero ball mode. We have the talent where they need to sit when they pull this cr@p. We outplayed the #18 team full of hardened juniors and seniors but this is why we lost. The season will ride on how Hurley handles them, they simply can't be allowed to keep making losing plays over and over. Hero ball has to be beaten out of them.

James Bouknight is special, best freshman we've had since I can't remember. The future is bright.

What cost us the game was Hurley’s decision to keep feeding Carlton late.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I think people thought I was being glib and casting OP as reactionary, but I really do agree with @superjohn's sentiment. Vital and Gilbert need to be ancillary or supporting pieces at best.

We turned the game around with Brendan Adams hounding dudes and getting the ball to Carlton, and the same was true against Buffalo.

Hurley doesn't really have any real offense, so transition opportunities, Carlton post ups/follow-ups when he inevitably misses, and Polley/Akok kick out 3s have to be the offense. At least until Bouknight is ready to take a primary role.
I agree. imma 'get the ball to josh' guy, too.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Some of the stuff Gilbert put in the air tonight was shocking.
What's shocking is that it's not shocking. But, of course, that means I'm saying the same thing you are. The blocked shots in the lane are not at all of the, "He's gonna come around and start making them" variety.
We've had guys who have done that - Kemba, Bazz, Jalen in this decade, but not really even Boat. I have no confidence that AG has this within him. It's not even a knock on him to say this. In fact, that's why I excluded Boat.

AG more brings to mind the most infuriating elements of Taliek and Dyson, and I liked both of them very much.

Makes Kemba 2010-11 all the more extraordinary.

Reaction Score

I was under the impression that the sub issue was that it wasn’t a timeout, the refs were just checking the clock and you can’t sub during an official review. Was that not the case?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don’t know what the hell is wrong with Alterique. Alterique likely doesn’t know what the hell is wrong with Alterique because he‘s playing like it’s a mystery to him, too.

Vital is what he is. He believes he’s a lot better than he is and he’s determined to prove it even if it kills us. He can’t do what a senior guard should be able to do, but he does some other things that a six-foot guard should never be able to do.

He’s in a class of one in a lot of ways.

Reaction Score
What cost us the game was Hurley’s decision to keep feeding Carlton late.
Wrong. UConn lost the game in the first half, was lucky to even be in the game late due to Xavier's inability to close it out and shouldn't have even been able to keep it that close. Only some heroics by a few individual players kept it close. We were better than this team and blew it. They played their game against UConn and the coach let them do it, the entire game.

Reaction Score
I was under the impression that the sub issue was that it wasn’t a timeout, the refs were just checking the clock and you can’t sub during an official review. Was that not the case?
Not sure if it was the official review or just Wilson was late getting to the table. But that's why Bouk was in for that 5th foul

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The fact that the first instinct is to harken back to Caron, Emeka, and Rip says it all. I hope you know how long of a season you're in for, Herr Hans.
Long season???
How do you mean?

No 'instinct' at all to go back that far.

Bouknight showed up looking kinda 'ready' last night, and tonight was, "Oh yeah."
That's not been the UConn way.
I'm excited.

But I'm still patient, and don't really get down on the players as much as I do on posters who get down on players, and, to shift the topic, I don't recall being as engaged in any AAC game in the past 5 years as much as I was in this game.

Reaction Score
Not sure if it was the official review or just Wilson was late getting to the table. But that's why Bouk was in for that 5th foul
I'd like to find out. If the later, that's an inexcusable mistake by the staff.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom