Coach Hurley, you have a good team | The Boneyard

Coach Hurley, you have a good team

Reaction Score
Hold Alterique accountable for the out of control hero ball, same with Vital it's what lost us this game. We completely outplayed them the second half and then Vital and Gilbert went into hero ball mode. We have the talent where they need to sit when they pull this cr@p. We outplayed the #18 team full of hardened juniors and seniors but this is why we lost. The season will ride on how Hurley handles them, they simply can't be allowed to keep making losing plays over and over. Hero ball has to be beaten out of them.

James Bouknight is special, best freshman we've had since I can't remember. The future is bright.

Reaction Score
How does this work. Do we just kick Vital and Gilbert off the team?

Is there a ceremony? Maybe a Survivor-esque vote? A 'Rose Ceremony'?

Do we just leave them behind in Charleston?

What kind of moronic statement is this? He needs to sit them on the bench when they take a bonehead shot. It's that simple. Go over film and point out every single bonehead drive. Missed passed. Selfish play on offense.

Rique and Vital do so many things right, but continue to make low BBIQ errors. They need consequences if we are going to make a splash in-conference.

Reaction Score

Put them on the bench if they don’t do what they’re told. Then tell them to play within themselves, and show them what that means.

Reaction Score

No, you sit them when they play out of control. You tell AG if he keeps driving and throwing up ridiculous shots near the rim instead of finding his teammates, he'll ride pine. You tell Vital if he takes contested hero low percentage threes he sits (it's called coaching.) We have other guys who can ball now.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Hurley needs to decide if he wants to be their coach or their buddy.

The shot selection by Vital and Gilbert has been terrible, and tonight was exceptionally bad. That kind of shot selection would be unacceptable on a Saturday afternoon at the YMCA, and is completely unacceptable for seniors. Hurley can't let it go, because it becomes toxic for the team. Carlton was giving everything down low and Bouknight was taking his man off the dribble at will, and they have to watch those two jacking up prayers?

Reaction Score
It was a joke guys. I get that you're all fired up, but I figured a couple reality TV references including to the Bachelor would make that clear.

That wasn't even sarcasm above. I think they such and we'd be better off if they played supporting roles at the least, if not benched in crunch time.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
No, you sit them when they play out of control. You tell AG if he keeps driving and throwing up ridiculous shots near the rim instead of finding his teammates, he'll ride pine. You tell Vital if he takes contested hero low percentage threes he sits (it's called coaching.) We have other guys who can ball now.

So everyone is clear, Hurley has given them that green light to shoot.

Reaction Score
What kind of moronic statement is this? He needs to sit them on the bench when they take a bonehead shot. It's that simple. Go over film and point out every single bonehead drive. Missed passed. Selfish play on offense.

Rique and Vital do so many things right, but continue to make low BBQ errors. They need consequences if we are going to make a splash in-conference.
It will be the difference between this being a fun/frustrating team that loses a bunch of games or a team who can sneak into the tournament.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
It will be the difference between this being a fun/frustrating team that loses a bunch of games or a team who can sneak into the tournament.

Remember when Hurley was gonna open up scholarships like you said he would? I remember.

Reaction Score
So everyone is clear, Hurley has given them that green light to shoot.
No, he wasn’t. He looked as perplexed as we all did when they played hero ball. Was very frustrated with their decision making. But he won’t call them out after a 2 OT loss, heart breaking sure, but plenty to learn and grow with his players. Future is bright, he knows it

Reaction Score
Hurley needs to decide if he wants to be their coach or their buddy.

The shot selection by Vital and Gilbert has been terrible, and tonight was exceptionally bad. That kind of shot selection would be unacceptable on a Saturday afternoon at the YMCA, and is completely unacceptable for seniors. Hurley can't let it go, because it becomes toxic for the team. Carlton was giving everything down low and Bouknight was taking his man off the dribble at will, and they have to watch those two jacking up prayers?
Great post. It's 100% why we lost, we had that game in check and then bam, hero ball. You notice we are pretty damn good when they don't go into hero YMCA mode. We were beating the brakes out of Xavier before it happened.

Reaction Score
Dan Hurley loves Gilbert. He certainly hit his free throws tonight. The insistence on driving to the basket mystifies me.
Bouknight would have taken the last shot had he not fouled out. Hurley ran the play for him down the stretch. The change is coming.
On the bright side... The toughness I'm seeing out of them this year is real. Last year's team loses this game by 16 to 20 points after being down 10 at the half.

Reaction Score
No, he wasn’t. He looked as perplexed as we all did when they played hero ball. Was very frustrated with their decision making. But he won’t call them out after a 2 OT loss, heart breaking sure, but plenty to learn and grow with his players. Future is bright, he knows it
It's a geen light when they don't sit. You don't hold them accountable and they'll keep doing it.

Reaction Score
Dan Hurley loves Gilbert. He certainly hit his free throws tonight. The insistence on driving to the basket mystifies me.
Bouknight would have taken the last shot had he not fouled out. Hurley ran the play for him down the stretch. The change is coming.
On the bright side... The toughness I'm seeing out of them this year is real. Last year's team loses this game by 16 to 20 points after being down 10 at the half.
Freshman mistake on the foul too, just reaches in there when he didn’t need to. Don’t think that kid scores on that drive

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Hold Alterique accountable for the out of control hero ball, same with Vital it's what lost us this game. We completely outplayed them the second half and then Vital and Gilbert went into hero ball mode. We have the talent where they need to sit when they pull this cr@p. We outplayed the #18 team full of hardened juniors and seniors but this is why we lost. The season will ride on how Hurley handles them, they simply can't be allowed to keep making losing plays over and over. Hero ball has to be beaten out of them.

James Bouknight is special, best freshman we've had since I can't remember. The future is bright.
This is on Hurley and he's learning as well.

He's got 10 usable pieces, and finding the right mixes and balances will be his top challenge. I'm not as upset or critical as I've read some others here. And I don't think it's about message sending.

AG should be a pass first PG.
CV has a great nose for the call and needs to play within himself.
Carlton wants to be more dominant, but his finish at the basket doesn't match that yet. Needs to improve FT shooting to maximize strength moves if can make that shift.

I don't know if these three will or won't get there, but the pieces around them are getting better. And that's great because it means options if they don't do what's needed.

No recent memory of a more confident freshman than Bouknight in his first semester, let alone first two games.

I can't remember what Caron was like, but was he ever tentative? I remember Emeka doing stuff early, but really UConn has historically brought out freshmen slowly. Rip started to show as special rather early.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Jb. And that’s with Akok in this class.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom