Coach Hurley, you have a good team | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Coach Hurley, you have a good team

Reaction Score
Truthfully, what’s wrong with AG is that he has no mid range game. With his ability to create space he should be making a living on 5-10 foot jumpers in and around the lane. When Marcus Williams learned how to do that he went from frustrating to the best PG in the country almost over night.

AG is too small to finish at the rim consistently but he has game and a great stroke. The jumper deserting him is a fluke or a physical problem. Maybe its a range of motion issue, but most likely just an epic shooting slump. Punish him for driving and not dishing, encourage pull up jumpers and encourage him to keep shooting unless he is missing in practice too. I suspect he is good in practice and that’s why Danny keeps going to him, he too views it as a slump. I’m not ready to bench him because it is so obvious that we don’t have a true backup pg available. RJ Cole is our other pg.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Truthfully, what’s wrong with AG is that he has no mid range game. With his ability to create space he should be making a living on 5-10 foot jumpers in and around the lane. When Marcus Williams learned how to do that he went from frustrating to the best PG the country almost over night.

Marcus was a 40% 3pt shooter tho. That makes a huge difference. Not to mention the best passer we've seen at UConn.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
he’s the puppy you rescued from the shelter that keeps pissing on the carpet, but instead of house training him you just wait and assume the problem will eventually solve itself.
I think I'm ready to return him and elevate Brendan BAdass Adams as my fave Husky now.

Reaction Score
Yes, but Marcus’ game came together when he went midrange. The midrange game is a lost art. For some guys it can open up their whole game. I believe AG is one of those guys. He can’t play in the trees but he’s fast and can create his own shot, that leaves him with pull up jumpers as his bread and butter. A fast guy with a strong handle and a solid pull-up is unguardable.

I keep saying it, but AG has a fundamentally sound jumper. I don’t know what the issue is, he shot it much better last year.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
There's got to be a reason why Hurley sticks with Gilbert. It sounds obvious to say but when fans think they see something so obvious and they honestly believe that a top notch d1 coach doesnt see it, i dont buy it. Ive heard people say "teach these kids how to box out" and im thinking, do we really think a head coach hasnt thought of what a rec league coach teaches his ten year olds? I wish the boneyard would stick to the chief-esque "inside knowledge stuff" as opposed to the "id be able to coach this team to a victory" nonsense.

We just don't have enough ball handlers. It's really that simple. Bouk can, but I sure as hell wouldn't want him playing the point.

BA is competent, but he isn't breaking the other team down regularly.

Reaction Score
No, you sit them when they play out of control. You tell AG if he keeps driving and throwing up ridiculous shots near the rim instead of finding his teammates, he'll ride pine. You tell Vital if he takes contested hero low percentage threes he sits (it's called coaching.) We have other guys who can ball now.
GREAT POST !! Your right. It's called coaching stop being afraid to bench them.

Reaction Score
Sorry guys need to hold DH accountable as much as anyone. The end of regulation play call was horrendous. Not to get the ball in Bouknights hands was awful. Then the staff didn’t have Sid ready for offense defense that’s in them too.

AG was good in regulation until the last play which was awful and in OT he became his out of control self. Frustrating as fn hell we lost this one.

They were prevented from subbing Sid. It was a clock review.

Reaction Score

Disclaimer, I didn’t get to see the game

but do we know that just because the ball was in his hands at some point, he was the one asked to take the shot? How do we know he didn’t just buck the plan and do what he thought would work? Obviously he’s been terribly inefficient, but he’s supposed to be our distributor...

Reaction Score

but do we know that just because the ball was in his hands at some point, he was the one asked to take the shot? How do we know he didn’t just buck the plan and do what he thought would work? Obviously he’s been terribly inefficient, but he’s supposed to be our distributor...

If you’re asking about the last play of regulation he brought the ball down the court and the other 4 spread out and didn’t move or attempt to pick for anyone. It was a bad choice by DH.

Reaction Score
If you’re asking about the last play of regulation he brought the ball down the court and the other 4 spread out and didn’t move or attempt to pick for anyone. It was a bad choice by DH.
I was reacting to the “EVERY critical moment”

But yeah that’s concerning that that was what was put on the floor for the final shot

Reaction Score

Hurley said as much.

Reaction Score
Other than Bouknight putting on his cape the offense in general was putrid.

Reaction Score
Upperclassman loyalty may work at Wagner or RI. But Hurley needs to seriously tune AG and CV up or park them.

I really like Hurley and have faith in him leading us BUT he has to nip AG and CV in the bud.

Last night was lost by poor decisions on who to have on the floor as much as the hero ball.

I care less about being loyal or what not or teaching lessons. WIN THE GAME

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't think AG or CV are cancerous players. They probably think they are helping their team playing like that, and Hurley has to rein them in. Sometimes a coach has to give a yellow light to players, and I think it is time for the long pullup jumpers to be removed from AG and CV's arsenal.
It might be easier if they were cancers. But we have 2 losses because they can't shoot yet continued to jack 'em up. After awhile, the effect is the same.

Reaction Score

We know because DH in a press conference said that’s who you want to have the ball in that situation

Reaction Score
But Bouk knew it and clearly knew it... I don’t think he’ll make that mistake again.
Bouk is a freshman and is forgiven. I actually expect many more mistakes to be made, but for him its allowed or better yet tolerated. Its the upperclassmen that are driving us crazy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom