Chief’s Briefs - Creighton 2 Edition | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Chief’s Briefs - Creighton 2 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

1. It's so blatantly obvious that UConn needs a pure shooter - someone who has confidence in his shot and is sure every one he throws up from anywhere on the court is going in. It would help tremendously if the same guy could play a little defense. There's a lot of those kids out there and nearly every successful team has at least one.
2. This team is going no where fast without a PG that can penetrate and distribute, someone who is not afraid to initiate contact. This PG also needs to play D with determination. Haven't seen that in a while. Gaff had 2 nice dishes today but his foot speed is non existent.
3. I have no issue with IW throwing up some 3s. In fact he passed up on way too many open shots today. He had a miserable day offensively near the hoop but we have seen what he brings to the floor - he is not the issue.
4. Why can't Springs get a bit of PT especially with Akok sitting?
5. Yeah Polley had a few nice games but he sure doesn't play like a senior. If he can't create a shot for himself he is basically useless. His D is getting worse. Scoreless today?
6. Sanogo will be a beast next year and beyond. Tough game in some respects but a very good game in other aspects.
7. I thought Martin did a better job at trying to create and drive to the hoop. He also had a sub par game and I felt DH should have had him on Jefferson from the start.
8. Cole is mentally a scorer but this ain't Howard
9. Can UConn please practice a little zone and throw it in when the opponent is chewing up the man to man with better athletes and bad match-ups?

Knew it wasn't going to be easy playing at a ranked team that was coming off 2 consecutive losses but as much as I was impressed with UConn's ability to come back a few times today, the lack of an offensive system is annoying.
On with Butler
Can we get a solid bit of info on Bouks rehab time?

in general, I agree with your observations. Of course, Polley would be better now if Bouknight was creating space for him. If IW is our three point answer and the 3 point bank shots aren’t working, we got a problem Houston.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
636398939506368793-milk-carton-missing-johnny-gosch.jpg

www.chief00.com

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Whaley was 2-4 from 3, he had about a dozen times they left him completely open. I'm not advocating him being our 3 point shooting threat but if the other team is literally leaving you open and we've seen him hit them and coach says he's a decent 3 point shooter, why not shoot more?
I was thinking same thing

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Quite frankly, when some posters a few weeks ago were advocating a high national ranking, Chief exercised caution. Without Bouknight, offense comes really hard for this group. Our defense and rebounding is good but Creighton had matchups where they could take us off the dribble. That really hurt and got us in foul trouble.

Chief thinks this Tyler scoring off the bench concept is overdone - we can’t afford a scoring drought to open up the game against a good team and wait 6 minutes before we have an outside threat. Too many bad habits form. The game is too ugly by then and the flow is bad. Today he was Artic cold coming off the bench.

Whaley looks really bad offensively, he’s rushing everything and not exhibiting good hands or judgement. I think Gaffney is the guy who we can get more offense from and he’s got to start being assertive.

Agree with Donny, our Bigs have trouble enough scoring in the post, why do we give them the ball so far away from the hoop? Ends in disaster too often.

While our defense was good too often our center is doubling a guard over 20 feet away from the hoop that leads to a mad scramble, which leads to a foul or a mismatch drive. This is why teams think they can beat us playing small. Bigs fouls caused by bad scheme given personnel. In the second half Creighton was brilliant exploiting mismatches.

Sanogo is the only Big who has any moves in the post with the hands, strength and touch to finish. Our offense needs to work through him. He needs to be confident he will get that pass and that means he’s got to be willing to give it up if nothing is there. Great offensive rebounding but Josh and Whaley finishing with bad hands and lack of power today.
Tough to win when you shoot 35% FG and 20% from 4. Cole, Martin and Sanogo were the only ones who played well offensively and Adama had around 5 turnovers.
'Quite frankly, when some posters a few weeks ago were advocating a high national ranking, Chief exercised caution.'
me. i said it. 'top ten.' a few weeks ago, we did not have our 'top ten' player on the disabled list, which along with our 'top 50' recruit this year and our 'top 50' recruit from last year in various stages of recovery. ergo, apples and oranges. get back to me on this when we have our complete team together.

C

Chief00

'Quite frankly, when some posters a few weeks ago were advocating a high national ranking, Chief exercised caution.'
me. i said it. 'top ten.' a few weeks ago, we did not have our 'top ten' player on the disabled list, which along with our 'top 50' recruit this year and our 'top 50' recruit from last year in various stages of recovery. ergo, apples and oranges. get back to me on this when we have our complete team together.

The below quote is the one I was thinking of as of 1/9/21. Please keep in mind having two key players recovering from major injuries needs to be part of the calculus. Of course, we have added 2 more new injuries this season (Jackson and Bouknight). Given the shortness of the schedule this season - I just think it’s a tough hill to climb. True, if we were healthy things would be different but at best that won’t happen until really late this season and then expecting instant chemistry and no rust is expecting a lot.

Uconn is top 25 now and would be top 10 if we didn't blow the Creighton game. Butler is way down this year but they didn't even look like they belonged on the court with us and that's without Bouknight, Akok who isn't ready, and Jackson.
Once we get healthy and the point guard play inproves we are going to scare the hell out of everyone. Excellent defensive and rebounding team with an improving offense, bullish on this team.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

Chief has no association with this website. Nor has Chief had any association with this website. Chief is use to others trying to monitize off the Chief brand. I don’t support those efforts but neither have I, to just point, engaged in any efforts to stop it. I have enough on my plate as it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Thanks for the invite, but no thank you. I have plenty of things to do as it is.
Chief is a busy man, lurker. What with advising Hurley, running Blaze pizza, keeping tabs on Drummond, and most importantly, explaining the intricacies of the game of basketball to the casual fan. And be honest, aren’t we all casual fans in the presence of Chief?

Reaction Score
It's not a matter of starting or coming off the bench for Polley.

It's that force-feeding him the ball doesn't work when opposing teams know they just need to play him tight. He's no threat off the dribble and don't need to respect it.

Most of our worst sequences are a forced Polley 3 leading to a runout on the other end.

Polley had 3 good halves while the Big East figured out how to play him. Yesterday, and against St John’s, his man never left him at the three point line. Never. That opens up two things. First, it means our other 4 are being guarded with one less defender playing help defense. Unfortunately, without Bouk we’re not talented enough offensively to exploit it. Second, it opens up Pollley to stop playing entirely at the 3 point line and either looking for hard cuts inside without the ball or pumpfakes and taking his man off the dribble. Polley appears unwilling to do either.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, when some posters a few weeks ago were advocating a high national ranking, Chief exercised caution. Without Bouknight, offense comes really hard for this group. Our defense and rebounding is good but Creighton had matchups where they could take us off the dribble. That really hurt and got us in foul trouble.

Chief thinks this Tyler scoring off the bench concept is overdone - we can’t afford a scoring drought to open up the game against a good team and wait 6 minutes before we have an outside threat. Too many bad habits form. The game is too ugly by then and the flow is bad. Today he was Artic cold coming off the bench.

Whaley looks really bad offensively, he’s rushing everything and not exhibiting good hands or judgement. I think Gaffney is the guy who we can get more offense from and he’s got to start being assertive.

Agree with Donny, our Bigs have trouble enough scoring in the post, why do we give them the ball so far away from the hoop? Ends in disaster too often.

While our defense was good too often our center is doubling a guard over 20 feet away from the hoop that leads to a mad scramble, which leads to a foul or a mismatch drive. This is why teams think they can beat us playing small. Bigs fouls caused by bad scheme given personnel. In the second half Creighton was brilliant exploiting mismatches.

Sanogo is the only Big who has any moves in the post with the hands, strength and touch to finish. Our offense needs to work through him. He needs to be confident he will get that pass and that means he’s got to be willing to give it up if nothing is there. Great offensive rebounding but Josh and Whaley finishing with bad hands and lack of power today.
Tough to win when you shoot 35% FG and 20% from 4. Cole, Martin and Sanogo were the only ones who played well offensively and Adama had around 5 turnovers.

Agree with most Chief but not Tyler and starting. The "droughts to start" have been few and far between minus yesterday actually a change with this team finding ways to get out to leads. I mean 19-7 lead against the Johnnies before Tyler saw a second of play can't ask for better than that.

Whaley wow, so much to like about him but if you dig hard right now he killed us yesterday. I mean missed bunnies galore, in one sequence missed a bunny tip in which right after he got the rebound and missed a wide open freebie. 4-5 easy ones at least yesterday have to finish those. Also off the ball defense has been lackluster as he's been caught worrying about making plays off the ball rather than tending to his own guy. Jefferson torched him twice on baseline as he was making up for space he had left by rushing out without control and was burnt by 23 getting to the hoop. Have you noticed the opponents trying to NOT screen as much with the man he defends because they know the impact he has on the screen and role? We rarely see him making those plays anymore because coaches aren't setting their players up in that situation. He needs to guard his man better because he can, help off the ball only when needed or in his area and box people out. He's smart and tough enough for all of that, need him to concentrate on doing his job rather than everyones.

Agree on way too many bigs getting the ball too high and no one around. Sanogo, Whaley and Carlton all with it too many times on top and way too many bad things can happen in that situation. There's no Jake V or Travis K who you can pretty much guarantee you can throw it to and they will make a play or at least the right decision. Needs to be tempered for sure.

Mahoney and Jefferson killed us, that's the match up that will hurt us all the time. The 6'4-6'5 guy who can take it to the hole, make a 3 or pull up for a jumper. Adams is ok against it but gets beat, Cole and Gaff no shot, Polley has not regained any quickness in his lateral movement and is getting torched on that end. Bouk was improved on D as well, his length gave some of these guys fits I don't think we realize just how much we miss him. We have no answers for some match ups at this point, all the more reason to occasionally mix in a zone with this crew.

Cole played fine, I mean he seems to be getting better game by game and hopefully will be even more of an impact with Bouk back, hope it means something at that point. Gaffney actually mad a couple nice plays finally going to the basket then got hurt. Still can't guard anyone but at least he came off screens 2 times in a matter of minutes and didn't just go east-west but instead tried to make a play, good sign? (Pretty strange it was the same situation almost as Bueckers the other night, great pass then an awkward ankle turn)

We (I) put a lot of blame on Dan H for the Johnnies but let's be sure to take all of that off for this one. Our kids had their chances, he put them in the best position to win this one but the constant missed bunnies, the inability to get good shots off unless early in the clock and just some very bad D lost this one. They played hard, made a couple runs but don't have enough offense to finish a run.

The fence will be a welcome place when Bouk returns because if we're not on it that means there were too many games like yesterday. Go Huskies, big week need to be 2-1...

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
IMO. The argument could be made that our three best athletes also happen to be injured. Notice I said athletes. Why? Because until or if they return. We may not always be the more athletic team as compared to our opponents.

What can you do about it? Among other things. Play great defense-esp. help defense.. Control the Boards. And win ugly. Do what you do well and try to impose your will on opponents through toughness and execution. Effort being the key.

I believe that we are still a Tournament team with our injured players back and a strong BET showing.

Never thought I would say this but in Bouk's absence. Starting to look like Adama's team.
I like @formerlurker's Like.
I love the Unami Zen name.
I wonder where this will lead.
I'm enjoying Adama's growing.
I still think commas work better.

C

Chief00

Agree with most Chief but not Tyler and starting. The "droughts to start" have been few and far between minus yesterday actually a change with this team finding ways to get out to leads. I mean 19-7 lead against the Johnnies before Tyler saw a second of play can't ask for better than that.

Whaley wow, so much to like about him but if you dig hard right now he killed us yesterday. I mean missed bunnies galore, in one sequence missed a bunny tip in which right after he got the rebound and missed a wide open freebie. 4-5 easy ones at least yesterday have to finish those. Also off the ball defense has been lackluster as he's been caught worrying about making plays off the ball rather than tending to his own guy. Jefferson torched him twice on baseline as he was making up for space he had left by rushing out without control and was burnt by 23 getting to the hoop. Have you noticed the opponents trying to NOT screen as much with the man he defends because they know the impact he has on the screen and role? We rarely see him making those plays anymore because coaches aren't setting their players up in that situation. He needs to guard his man better because he can, help off the ball only when needed or in his area and box people out. He's smart and tough enough for all of that, need him to concentrate on doing his job rather than everyones.

Agree on way too many bigs getting the ball too high and no one around. Sanogo, Whaley and Carlton all with it too many times on top and way too many bad things can happen in that situation. There's no Jake V or Travis K who you can pretty much guarantee you can throw it to and they will make a play or at least the right decision. Needs to be tempered for sure.

Mahoney and Jefferson killed us, that's the match up that will hurt us all the time. The 6'4-6'5 guy who can take it to the hole, make a 3 or pull up for a jumper. Adams is ok against it but gets beat, Cole and Gaff no shot, Polley has not regained any quickness in his lateral movement and is getting torched on that end. Bouk was improved on D as well, his length gave some of these guys fits I don't think we realize just how much we miss him. We have no answers for some match ups at this point, all the more reason to occasionally mix in a zone with this crew.

Cole played fine, I mean he seems to be getting better game by game and hopefully will be even more of an impact with Bouk back, hope it means something at that point. Gaffney actually mad a couple nice plays finally going to the basket then got hurt. Still can't guard anyone but at least he came off screens 2 times in a matter of minutes and didn't just go east-west but instead tried to make a play, good sign? (Pretty strange it was the same situation almost as Bueckers the other night, great pass then an awkward ankle turn)

We (I) put a lot of blame on Dan H for the Johnnies but let's be sure to take all of that off for this one. Our kids had their chances, he put them in the best position to win this one but the constant missed bunnies, the inability to get good shots off unless early in the clock and just some very bad D lost this one. They played hard, made a couple runs but don't have enough offense to finish a run.

The fence will be a welcome place when Bouk returns because if we're not on it that means there were too many games like yesterday. Go Huskies, big week need to be 2-1...
Good points. I hope Gaffney’s ankle improves, can’t remember if it’s the same one as early last season? No question Bouknight is the key and teams game plan us better now that we have played a few games without James. Increasingly looking like pretty much a wasted year for Akok and as I said preseason that’s not surprising given his injury and now a leg injury.
i wish they almost wouldn’t count an offensive rebound if a guy misses a putback. IW missed too many easy ones as did Josh.

C

Chief00

Never thought I would say this but in Bouk's absence. Starting to look like Adama's team.
No doubt in my mind it should be but the question is do his teammates have that recognition?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
1. It's so blatantly obvious that UConn needs a pure shooter - someone who has confidence in his shot and is sure every one he throws up from anywhere on the court is going in. It would help tremendously if the same guy could play a little defense. There's a lot of those kids out there and nearly every successful team has at least one.
2. This team is going no where fast without a PG that can penetrate and distribute, someone who is not afraid to initiate contact. This PG also needs to play D with determination. Haven't seen that in a while. Gaff had 2 nice dishes today but his foot speed is non existent.
3. I have no issue with IW throwing up some 3s. In fact he passed up on way too many open shots today. He had a miserable day offensively near the hoop but we have seen what he brings to the floor - he is not the issue.
4. Why can't Springs get a bit of PT especially with Akok sitting?
5. Yeah Polley had a few nice games but he sure doesn't play like a senior. If he can't create a shot for himself he is basically useless. His D is getting worse. Scoreless today?
6. Sanogo will be a beast next year and beyond. Tough game in some respects but a very good game in other aspects.
7. I thought Martin did a better job at trying to create and drive to the hoop. He also had a sub par game and I felt DH should have had him on Jefferson from the start.
8. Cole is mentally a scorer but this ain't Howard
9. Can UConn please practice a little zone and throw it in when the opponent is chewing up the man to man with better athletes and bad match-ups?

Knew it wasn't going to be easy playing at a ranked team that was coming off 2 consecutive losses but as much as I was impressed with UConn's ability to come back a few times today, the lack of an offensive system is annoying.
On with Butler
Can we get a solid bit of info on Bouks rehab time?
This team has a number of 'alternative' ways to win, and may or may not get over that hurdle.

Last year, it was about getting & keeping late leads, and the season closed with great hope after multiple "excruciating" losses.

With so many shifting variables, it will take deft coaching, resilience, and persistence to compensate for the current sustained loss of 3 NBA 'types,' only one of whom was performing to type before going out.

Where it was shot-blocking in previous years, it's rebounding this year.
I like that foul shooting improved yesterday.
Shots around the basket need to be next.

We'll see.
I'll watch.

Reaction Score

20% from 4 Chief? Edjumacate us casuals, please.

Reaction Score
This team has a number of 'alternative' ways to win, and may or may not get over that hurdle.

Last year, it was about getting & keeping late leads, and the season closed with great hope after multiple "excruciating" losses.

With so many shifting variables, it will take deft coaching, resilience, and persistence to compensate for the current sustained loss of 3 NBA 'types,' only one of whom was performing to type before going out.

Where it was shot-blocking in previous years, it's rebounding this year.
I like that foul shooting improved yesterday.
Shots around the basket need to be next.

We'll see.
I'll watch.
Truly great post. At ease yet hopeful. Perfect.

C

Chief00

As everyone saw yesterday, we are very limited offensively. The shooting percentages and lack of assists speak for themselves.

Reaction Score
As everyone saw yesterday, we are very limited offensively. The shooting percentages and lack of assists speak for thenselves.

Sure we are limited offensively without Bouk. You take guys like Bouk, Akok, and Jackson out of the mix and you are left with lots of flashes, but nothing sustained.

In short:
Gaffney isn't there yet, Sanogo only has 10 college games in, RJ and Tyrese are still adjusting to moving up a level, Polley needs to add some fire to his great shooting stroke, Josh shows flashes but consistency is not his strong suit, Whaley has improved dramatically but may have plateaued, Adams is solid but never envisioned as a star...the team is what it is as presently constructed. Easy to love and root for, but flawed. Imagine a healthy Bouk, Jackson with lots more minutes, and Akok protecting the rim. A vastly different team and certainly formidable.

Loved the 81% shooting from the line yesterday, that was clearly an area of emphasis during this week's practices. A big step in the right direction. If and when this team gets healthy and progresses normally this could still be a whole lot of fun.

Reaction Score
Good points. I hope Gaffney’s ankle improves, can’t remember if it’s the same one as early last season? No question Bouknight is the key and teams game plan us better now that we have played a few games without James. Increasingly looking like pretty much a wasted year for Akok and as I said preseason that’s not surprising given his injury and now a leg injury.
i wish they almost wouldn’t count an offensive rebound if a guy misses a putback. IW missed too many easy ones as did Josh.
Gaffney needs more than improvement to his ankle. Seems like a great kid and I'm sure he's a hard worker but he just doesn't look like a P6 pg. I hope I'm wrong but other than ft shooting Jalen is a liability out there. He can still make a big jump but it wouldn't surprise me if Diggins plays more minutes next season.

Martin has to be more assertive. With JB out he is the only one who can create his own shot.

Sanogo just needs more reps and he will be a monster. So glad he reclassified and came here.

Reaction Score

I think Chief was referring to our 2-11 (18.18%) from three first half, which admittedly ignores our 5-12 (41.67%) second half, which contributed to our overall 7-23 (30.4%)total for the game.

However, if we did shoot a measly 20% from the 4, it would be worse than our substandard 30.4% from 3. (in ten attempts we would get only 8 points from shooting the 4, whereas in 10 trips we got 9.12 points from our 30.4% effort from the 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom